And so it begins- Leaked documents show White House is planning executive order to censor the Internet - Page 2 - Wrestling Forum: WWE, AEW, New Japan, Indy Wrestling, Women of Wrestling Forums
 32Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:50 PM
 
yeahbaby!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,231
Points: 16,392
                     
Re: And so it begins- Leaked documents show White House is planning executive order to censor the Internet

He's the greatest censor of the internet, no one has the ability to censor the internet like he can, believe him.

"You know I'm automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait."

"I backed him. You can see how loyal he is. He was begging for my endorsement. I could have said, 'Mitt, drop to your knees.' He would have dropped to his knees."

"You oughta see this guy - 'uh, I don't know what I said, uh, I don't remember,'"

“I will build a great wall – and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me – and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.”

"He is a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren't captured."

"Covfefe"


President of The United States of America, Mr Donald Trump
yeahbaby! is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:51 PM
The Sundance Kid
 
CamillePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Posts: 17,812
Points: 56,864
                     
Re: And so it begins- Leaked documents show White House is planning executive order to censor the Internet

Wait, shouldn't leftists be totally in support of this? It's the government preventing social media companies, aka giant corporations owned by billionaires, from censoring people.

Ah right, most of the censorship happens to the right, so they just happen to be on the corporations' side on this issue.
Fringe and Singapore Kane like this.

CamillePunk is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:55 AM
 
Tater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aiea, Hawai'i
Posts: 8,017
Points: 10,441
                     
Re: And so it begins- Leaked documents show White House is planning executive order to censor the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillePunk View Post
Wait, shouldn't leftists be totally in support of this? It's the government preventing social media companies, aka giant corporations owned by billionaires, from censoring people.

Ah right, most of the censorship happens to the right, so they just happen to be on the corporations' side on this issue.
A few things here...

One, it depends on the leftist. An authoritarian leftist might be in favor of the government controlling social media companies. A libertarian leftist like myself wants concentrations of power broken up. The social media companies should not have so much consolidated power that they are capable of censoring the internet and the government should not have the power to censor anyone. I say this as a free speech absolutist.

Secondly, "most of the censorship happens to the right" is not a factually correct statement. The people getting censored are the ones who are anti-establishment. It's not a left v right issue. Anyone who opposes the fascist status quo faces the risk of censorship.

Lastly, you should not trust this news as the government preventing social media companies from censoring people. A lot of the censorship that has already taken place has been happening because the social media companies are colluding with government funded think tanks. Which raises the question, if the government has already been influencing censorship on the internet, why would they now want to stop censorship on the internet? Maaaaaaaaaaybe there is more to this story than meets the eye.
Draykorinee and jonaskane like this.

Tater is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:38 AM
tombstone blues
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13,513
Points: 40,815
                     
Re: And so it begins- Leaked documents show White House is planning executive order to censor the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
A few things here...

One, it depends on the leftist. An authoritarian leftist might be in favor of the government controlling social media companies. A libertarian leftist like myself wants concentrations of power broken up. The social media companies should not have so much consolidated power that they are capable of censoring the internet and the government should not have the power to censor anyone. I say this as a free speech absolutist.

Secondly, "most of the censorship happens to the right" is not a factually correct statement. The people getting censored are the ones who are anti-establishment. It's not a left v right issue. Anyone who opposes the fascist status quo faces the risk of censorship.

Lastly, you should not trust this news as the government preventing social media companies from censoring people. A lot of the censorship that has already taken place has been happening because the social media companies are colluding with government funded think tanks. Which raises the question, if the government has already been influencing censorship on the internet, why would they now want to stop censorship on the internet? Maaaaaaaaaaybe there is more to this story than meets the eye.
And maaaaaaaaaybe that is a lot of reaching to find a way to both be a free speech absolutist but also preserve the status quo of increasing censorship. Censorship and manipulation are happening. They are increasing. It is not going to stop unless some entity forces it to stop. You don't trust the regulatory state to stop it, fine. Who is going to then? You? Civil liberties and human rights organizations? The courts? Congress? Please. All three of the latter are, to varying degrees, in agreement that censorship is good, or that it is not their position to address it. The market? The market distorted by monopolistic practices that were given free rein by the last administration because those practices benefited companies that aided the political activity of that administration?

Your choices are the government breaks them up or the government proscribes their censorious practices. Yes the former would be preferable. If the current administration has its way, you may get both. Oh you have one other choice. The status quo. Where the dissemination of information is manipulated and censored so as to suit the political sensibilities of a small cabal of narcissistic ideologues in the Bay Area and their financial/political enablers in LA, New York and DC. And the sensibilities of the authoritarian leftist Chinese government that they are more than happy to develop repressive technologies for. After all, the absolute social, political and economic power exercised by that government in its domain is precisely the power these tech fascists wish they possessed. It's technocratism on a scale and of a convenience the technocrats of yesteryear could only dream of. After all, they're so much smarter and better than the unwashed masses

The United States and especially Britain weren't exactly the keenest on allying with the Soviet Union to defeat Hitlerism, but they did so anyway. You want to stop the corrosive, iniquitous control over information and thus politics and society as a whole exercised by tech monopolies, you may have to accept some allies you're leery about as well. Allies of convenience, isn't that the definition of a Popular Front?
Fringe likes this.

There has been an AEWakening... have you felt it?

The mark wars have begun again

DAMN THAT TRACK IS HOT

THAT'S GOTTA BE KANE (IS BACK) (AGAIN)

RIP Robin

SPACE FORCE!

(space, space, space, force!)

SPACE FORCE!

Last edited by deepelemblues; 08-14-2019 at 11:02 AM.
deepelemblues is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:58 AM
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
 
Miss Sally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 13,732
Points: 37,229
                     
Re: And so it begins- Leaked documents show White House is planning executive order to censor the Internet

Oh no, large tech companies won't be able to censor people to their liking and work together to suppress information and push their own narratives.

Heaven forbid these companies have someone telling them no, oh dear, what shall we do?!

Why doesn't someone think of the children!? Or better yet investigate as to what is really going on.

But you don't trust our Government? Why not? People practically beg for the Government to take their rights everyday. How dare you deny them the safety of Facebook, Google and every other large tech company that has been exposed to work against people!
lesenfanteribles and Fringe like this.

Miss Sally is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:34 AM
E:16
 
Draykorinee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,859
Points: 13,722
                     
Re: And so it begins- Leaked documents show White House is planning executive order to censor the Internet

I'm interested in seeing so many actively wanting the Government to get involved in what private companies allow on their platform, what with that and people clamouring for more Government input over borders I'm starting to wonder if you guys want Venezuela or whether its just the people who want universal health care that want it.

Personally, I don't see a major problem with FB etc having more regulation, they've banned a few lefties I enjoy because they are against the status quo but this seems like its done the wrong way.

HE'S UNHINGED
HE'S CRAZY MACKLE
THE LUNATIC FRINGE IS HERE
WE GOT US A FLYIN LUNATIC MACKLE
AH!
AMBROSE IS INSANE
HE'S CRAZY MACKLE

Last edited by Draykorinee; 08-14-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Draykorinee is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:38 PM
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
 
Miss Sally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 13,732
Points: 37,229
                     
Re: And so it begins- Leaked documents show White House is planning executive order to censor the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draykorinee View Post
I'm interested in seeing so many actively wanting the Government to get involved in what private companies allow on their platform, what with that and people clamouring for more Government input over borders I'm starting to wonder if you guys want Venezuela or whether its just the people who want universal health care that want it.

Personally, I don't see a major problem with FB etc having more regulation, they've banned a few lefties I enjoy because they are against the status quo but this seems like its done the wrong way.
The right way would be to make these companies public speaking areas. The president and politicians cannot block people, it's already kind of one yet the Companies still control far too much.

Tater is right, they need to be broken up and anything that involves social media needs to be considered a public space. The law just hasn't caught up to technology.

I don't think the Government can handle doing it with overwhelming bureaucracy, they may have good intentions but.. it's the Government. Neither the Government or big Tech should be censoring anyone.

Miss Sally is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:44 PM
AEW ALL OUT 8/31/19
 
A-C-P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: I Hail From Green Bay, WI
Posts: 24,473
Points: 43,988
                     
Re: And so it begins- Leaked documents show White House is planning executive order to censor the Internet

Good Luck With That

A-C-P is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:22 PM
 
Tater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aiea, Hawai'i
Posts: 8,017
Points: 10,441
                     
Re: And so it begins- Leaked documents show White House is planning executive order to censor the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepelemblues View Post
And maaaaaaaaaybe that is a lot of reaching to find a way to both be a free speech absolutist but also preserve the status quo of increasing censorship.
I'm just going to go ahead and stop you at your first sentence. Regardless of our own political opinion differences, the one thing you cannot accuse me of is being in favor of censorship of any kind.



I've been opposing all forms of censorship since I was old enough to understand the concept.

Tater is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:56 PM
The Sundance Kid
 
CamillePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Posts: 17,812
Points: 56,864
                     
Re: And so it begins- Leaked documents show White House is planning executive order to censor the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
Secondly, "most of the censorship happens to the right" is not a factually correct statement. The people getting censored are the ones who are anti-establishment. It's not a left v right issue. Anyone who opposes the fascist status quo faces the risk of censorship.
Most censorship definitely happens to the right. That's not debatable from the evidence I've seen. Sure left-wing anti-establishment types get censored too, but even PRO-establishment right-wingers get censored. Yeah sorry, not even close.

I don't support this EO or government expanding its power over the internet in any way, unlike fake "left-libertarians" who bemoan this but support net neutrality.
Fringe likes this.


Last edited by CamillePunk; 08-14-2019 at 08:58 PM.
CamillePunk is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome