Has someone quit all social media successfully? - Page 3 - Wrestling Forum: WWE, AEW, New Japan, Indy Wrestling, Women of Wrestling Forums
 29Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:38 PM
 
Cowabunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Portugal
Posts: 3,053
Points: 6,808
                     
Re: Has someone quit of all social media successfully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugging of Cena View Post
Yeah it started out as Harvard only, then Ivy League only, the American Universities only, then it expanded to everyone in like 2006 or 2007.

It was a lot different back then. Mostly just people posting rap lyrics and photos of friends at parties. Smart phones didn't really exist so there were no selfies and pictures of peoples food and shit like that.

Simpler times indeed.
I remember in 2008-2009 seeing Americans talk about FB online at times and how the big anime website Myanimelist looked so much like FB in terms of layout and colours. And I was like "what is facebook even?!". Then fast forward to late 2009 and early 2010 and FB becomes available all over the world and everyone is talking about it.

Before FB there were several other social networks out there that were popular in a country or a few of them only. Hi5 was THE social network here in Portugal for people aged 15-25 back when I was a teenager, for example. Then FB pretty much killed it.
Mugging of Cena likes this.
Cowabunga is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:42 PM
 
Mugging of Cena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Midwest
Posts: 3,217
Points: 9,692
                     
Re: Has someone quit of all social media successfully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
I remember in 2008-2009 seeing Americans talk about FB online at times and how the big anime website Myanimelist looked so much like FB in terms of layout and colours. And I was like "what is facebook even?!". Then fast forward to late 2009 and early 2010 and FB becomes available all over the world and everyone is talking about it.

Before FB there were several other social networks out there that were popular in a country or a few of them only. Hi5 was THE social network here in Portugal for people aged 15-25 back when I was a teenager, for example. Then FB pretty much killed it.
Interesting. I remember hearing about a social media platform in Brazil around the same time you are referring to. I'm sure FB killed that to.
Mugging of Cena is offline  
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:47 PM
 
Cowabunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Portugal
Posts: 3,053
Points: 6,808
                     
Re: Has someone quit of all social media successfully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugging of Cena View Post
Interesting. I remember hearing about a social media platform in Brazil around the same time you are referring to. I'm sure FB killed that to.
I think Brazilians used Orkut. Which is actually Turkish.

It's funny how 99% of Americans don't even know what hi5 is, when it's an American company created in Sillicon Valley. Yet it was popular in Portugal, Romania and a few South American and Asian countries as well iirc. Dunno why that happened lol. People talk about Myspace as being a juggernaut back then, but the only Portuguese people I know that had a Myspace account were HS students with bands or musical projects.

Ireland had something called Bebo, I think.
Mugging of Cena likes this.
Cowabunga is offline  
post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:24 PM
E:16
 
Draykorinee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,971
Points: 13,905
                     
I did, kinda wish I had stayed off Facebook. Think I might take another hiatus.

HE'S UNHINGED
HE'S CRAZY MACKLE
THE LUNATIC FRINGE IS HERE
WE GOT US A FLYIN LUNATIC MACKLE
AH!
AMBROSE IS INSANE
HE'S CRAZY MACKLE
Draykorinee is offline  
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:32 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,281
Points: 8,801
                     
Re: Has someone quit of all social media successfully?

yeah

i have zero social media

deleted facebook, never got into twitter or istagram
Tag89 is offline  
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:37 PM
.
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,536
Points: 4,933
                     
Re: Has someone quit of all social media successfully?

There are abandoned pages belonging to me, with passwords I'll never remember, but I have zero social media presence nowadays, not even Instagram. It was easy to quit as I never much cared for it aside from a brief, long ago stint as a semi-popular/mostly-obscure blogger. Ok, I did kind of mull over creating YouTube content a few months ago but nah, not right now. The social media trend just feels tired to me - it's overrun with too many folks doing nothing valuable with it. It's boring, so I'm more about the old school stuff like message boards when I bother with online conversation at all.

If I want to talk to someone I haven't seen recently I call them, video or phone. Or send email. Or, you know, meet up in the real world if possible. I don't care about their day to day lives any more than they care about mine. I mean, daily life really isn't all that interesting except to the person living it. Having to politely Like pics of kids and selfies constantly feels like the modern equivalent to smiling impatiently through viewing the home movie dvds people used to haul out at family gatherings.

What's becoming an issue for me is the insistence that I MUST open a Facebook account for work, just like I HAD to open one in order to get assignments for several university classes. That's not going to happen this time; I quite like being able to shut out and ignore my coworkers on my days off.
Mugging of Cena likes this.
GothicBohemian is offline  
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
FSL
 
FSL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 323
Points: 1,046
                     
Re: Has someone quit of all social media successfully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicBohemian View Post
There are abandoned pages belonging to me, with passwords I'll never remember, but I have zero social media presence nowadays, not even Instagram. It was easy to quit as I never much cared for it aside from a brief, long ago stint as a semi-popular/mostly-obscure blogger. Ok, I did kind of mull over creating YouTube content a few months ago but nah, not right now. The social media trend just feels tired to me - it's overrun with too many folks doing nothing valuable with it. It's boring, so I'm more about the old school stuff like message boards when I bother with online conversation at all.

If I want to talk to someone I haven't seen recently I call them, video or phone. Or send email. Or, you know, meet up in the real world if possible. I don't care about their day to day lives any more than they care about mine. I mean, daily life really isn't all that interesting except to the person living it. Having to politely Like pics of kids and selfies constantly feels like the modern equivalent to smiling impatiently through viewing the home movie dvds people used to haul out at family gatherings.

What's becoming an issue for me is the insistence that I MUST open a Facebook account for work, just like I HAD to open one in order to get assignments for several university classes. That's not going to happen this time; I quite like being able to shut out and ignore my coworkers on my days off.
That's almost obscene tbh...

https://www.wrestlingforum.com/signaturepics/sigpic286929_1.gif
FSL is online now  
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:01 PM
F*ck off I'm drinking
 
Captain Edd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nobody even reads this
Posts: 5,631
Points: 12,837
                     
Re: Has someone quit of all social media successfully?

I had Myspace way back when but that already annoyed me enough to stay away from stuff like Facebook, Twitter etc. I used to text or call people, but enough of them bothered me long enough that I got a smartphone a few months ago and got into this Whatsapp thing, which already reminds me again why I never wanted a presence on social media.

Captain Edd is offline  
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:28 PM
 
Cowabunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Portugal
Posts: 3,053
Points: 6,808
                     
Re: Has someone quit of all social media successfully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicBohemian View Post
There are abandoned pages belonging to me, with passwords I'll never remember, but I have zero social media presence nowadays, not even Instagram. It was easy to quit as I never much cared for it aside from a brief, long ago stint as a semi-popular/mostly-obscure blogger. Ok, I did kind of mull over creating YouTube content a few months ago but nah, not right now. The social media trend just feels tired to me - it's overrun with too many folks doing nothing valuable with it. It's boring, so I'm more about the old school stuff like message boards when I bother with online conversation at all.

If I want to talk to someone I haven't seen recently I call them, video or phone. Or send email. Or, you know, meet up in the real world if possible. I don't care about their day to day lives any more than they care about mine. I mean, daily life really isn't all that interesting except to the person living it. Having to politely Like pics of kids and selfies constantly feels like the modern equivalent to smiling impatiently through viewing the home movie dvds people used to haul out at family gatherings.

What's becoming an issue for me is the insistence that I MUST open a Facebook account for work, just like I HAD to open one in order to get assignments for several university classes. That's not going to happen this time; I quite like being able to shut out and ignore my coworkers on my days off.
Yeah, I wonder how much longer this whole social media craze will last for. Or what will the next big thing be.

And yes, I miss the days where I didn't have to be online or felt forced to stay in touch with people and the outside world 24/7. Hell, i still remember when you could not have internet at home for a few weeks or months and not really interfering with your life. Nowadays that would be unthinkable. Wifi wasn't even a thing back then.
Cowabunga is offline  
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:50 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 723
Points: 2,458
           
Re: Has someone quit of all social media successfully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Baxter View Post
Deactivated Facebook back in the summer of 2015. I have logged into it 2 times since then and have not been on it in 2 years. Never had a twitter, instagram, or snapchat. I wouldn't say my life improved tremendously, I just don't have the same level of attachment to that stuff that other people do. People can't sit at a bar or sit down for lunch at school without scrolling down one of those sites, that's not me.

Even if you do manage to get rid of it, you will likely find something else to waste your time with like we all do lol. For example, I spend way too much time watching basketball and sports media shows on television.




that is a better waste of time than fucking facebook at least it is something u can be passionate about without being a total loser. for example i spend almost all my time at work on this site lol

"I fear nothing and regret less." -John Cena

"To be the man you gotta beat the man!" -Ric Flair


"I dont like it, when things aren't my, going my way." -Jumpin Jeff Farmer
jroc72191 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome