Won't be good for legalization - Wrestling Forum: WWE, AEW, New Japan, Indy Wrestling, Women of Wrestling Forums
 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
 
Miss Sally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 13,701
Points: 37,129
                     
Won't be good for legalization

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45732911

Teenagers using cannabis are causing long-lasting damage to their developing brains, a Canadian study suggests.

It found the impact on thinking skills, memory and behaviour was worse than that of teenage drinking.

The researchers, from the University of Montreal, urged teenagers to delay their use of cannabis for as long as they felt able.

The study tracked and tested 3,800 adolescents over four years, starting from around the age of 13.

Drinking alcohol and taking drugs, such as cannabis, at a young age is known to cause problems with cognitive abilities such as learning, attention and decision-making as well as academic performance at school.

This study found these problems increased as cannabis use increased - and the effects were lasting, unlike those of alcohol.



Looks like more pot demonization, will have to see if study is accurate or propaganda since anti-weed nonsense has kicked into overdrive.

I expect more studies like this to come out.
MrFlash likes this.

Miss Sally is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 11:59 PM
 
DoctorWhosawhatsit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: The Tardis, All of Time and Space
Posts: 11,424
Points: 36,128
                     
Re: Won't be good for legalization

This hardly hurts the case for legalization.

No one's saying thirteen year olds should be getting baked all the time. Adults however should be able to get baked whenever they want so long as, just like alcohol, they're not driving, operation heavy machinery, or anything in that vein.

I do think all arbitrary age restrictions should be the same, but that's a different topic
ste1592 likes this.

DoctorWhosawhatsit is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 12:07 AM
tombstone blues
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13,465
Points: 40,631
                     
Re: Won't be good for legalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWhosawhatsit View Post
This hardly hurts the case for legalization.

No one's saying thirteen year olds should be getting baked all the time. Adults however should be able to get baked whenever they want so long as, just like alcohol, they're not driving, operation heavy machinery, or anything in that vein.

I do think all arbitrary age restrictions should be the same, but that's a different topic
Burn rides are a human right!

There has been an AEWakening... have you felt it?

The mark wars have begun again

DAMN THAT TRACK IS HOT

THAT'S GOTTA BE KANE (IS BACK) (AGAIN)

RIP Robin

SPACE FORCE!

(space, space, space, force!)

SPACE FORCE!
deepelemblues is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 12:25 AM
 
tryptophanjunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Russia
Favourite(s): Dean Ambrose, The Rock, Mustafa Ali, Asuka
Posts: 172
Points: 726
                     
Re: Won't be good for legalization

The way I see it, part of the ethical problem with that is that it might only possibly impact the health of those who use (unless, as pointed out already, somebody lights up while driving), and not in a violent or apparent way. This lets everybody (correctly) play the 'It's my body, I can do whatever the hell I want' card. So not legalising seems unnecessary and backwards to some. If, on the other hand, 1) the suggestion of said study is correct and 2) we look at the issue from a utilitarian POV, legalising is letting a part of the society somewhat degrade, and most wouldn't agree with the second of that. That's where I see the arguing coming from. That study could only possibly be bad for the argument, not legalisation.
Why can't it be just like with tobacco though? Everybody smokes non-stop in the 70s and later generations don't, because there are stronger drugs now propaganda has finally started to work the fascination died out in the face of obvious health effects?
tryptophanjunkie is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 01:15 AM
From parts unknown
 
Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 22,288
Points: 81,198
                     
Re: Won't be good for legalization

Western Civilization: "Pot is bad!"

Also Western Civilization: "Now take this drug that makes you potentially suicidal, violent, more depressed and takes away your empathy! Wash it down with some alcohol. Do you want some added sugar .. in everything?"

Miss Sally and A-C-P like this.


Last edited by MRS. REAP! WARM ME UP (before i freeze to death on youuuuu); 10-04-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Reaper is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 01:48 AM
 
yeahbaby!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,226
Points: 16,377
                     
Re: Won't be good for legalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Sally View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45732911

Teenagers using cannabis are causing long-lasting damage to their developing brains, a Canadian study suggests.

It found the impact on thinking skills, memory and behaviour was worse than that of teenage drinking.

The researchers, from the University of Montreal, urged teenagers to delay their use of cannabis for as long as they felt able.

The study tracked and tested 3,800 adolescents over four years, starting from around the age of 13.

Drinking alcohol and taking drugs, such as cannabis, at a young age is known to cause problems with cognitive abilities such as learning, attention and decision-making as well as academic performance at school.

This study found these problems increased as cannabis use increased - and the effects were lasting, unlike those of alcohol.



Looks like more pot demonization, will have to see if study is accurate or propaganda since anti-weed nonsense has kicked into overdrive.

I expect more studies like this to come out.
There have been many studies like this for a long time with similar results, some others probably not, it's hard to say. I don't think it should be dismissed so easily.

It doesn't say how often the teens used, how frequently, but if it was several times a week or every day I would be surprised if there wasn't effects on cognition.

Hell, there is studies on young infants that watching TV shows not deemed educational (interactive, engaging, meaningful) then that can affect their cognition too.

"You know I'm automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait."

"I backed him. You can see how loyal he is. He was begging for my endorsement. I could have said, 'Mitt, drop to your knees.' He would have dropped to his knees."

"You oughta see this guy - 'uh, I don't know what I said, uh, I don't remember,'"

“I will build a great wall – and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me – and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.”

"He is a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren't captured."

"Covfefe"


President of The United States of America, Mr Donald Trump
yeahbaby! is online now  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 02:38 AM
 
Illogical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Seoul, Korea
Posts: 1,190
Points: 3,879
                     
Re: Won't be good for legalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWhosawhatsit View Post
This hardly hurts the case for legalization.

No one's saying thirteen year olds should be getting baked all the time. Adults however should be able to get baked whenever they want so long as, just like alcohol, they're not driving, operation heavy machinery, or anything in that vein.
/thread

https://www.wrestlingforum.com/signaturepics/sigpic688649_7.gif


GO WATCH JENNIE'S DEBUT SONG!!!! JENNIE|"SOLO"


BLΛƆKPIИK
Illogical is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 02:47 AM
 
DoctorWhosawhatsit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: The Tardis, All of Time and Space
Posts: 11,424
Points: 36,128
                     
Re: Won't be good for legalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reap View Post
Western Civilization: "Pot is bad!"

Also Western Civilization: "Now take this drug that makes you potentially suicidal, violent, more depressed and takes away your empathy! Wash it down with some alcohol. Do you want some added sugar .. in everything?"

From what I've seen recently their isn't much empathy to take away.


DoctorWhosawhatsit is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 02:51 AM
From parts unknown
 
Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 22,288
Points: 81,198
                     
Re: Won't be good for legalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWhosawhatsit View Post
From what I've seen recently their isn't much empathy to take away.

And then you prescribe drugs that take whatever there is away. So many mass shooters were on SSRIs and many couldn't cope with the side effects and withdrawals having quit .. but pot is what's illegal.

Don't do drugs kids. Except the ones we give you!
A-C-P likes this.

Reaper is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 02:54 AM
E:16
 
Draykorinee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,827
Points: 13,635
                     
Re: Won't be good for legalization

https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar...=1&oi=scholart

For all evidence based research on Alcohol and use by kids.

I shall look for this research to be taken apart in the future before passing judgement. Either way, legalising Marijuana is NEVER about letting kids get it.

This study of current research showed the COMPLETE opposite.

HE'S UNHINGED
HE'S CRAZY MACKLE
THE LUNATIC FRINGE IS HERE
WE GOT US A FLYIN LUNATIC MACKLE
AH!
AMBROSE IS INSANE
HE'S CRAZY MACKLE

Last edited by Draykorinee; 10-04-2018 at 03:01 AM.
Draykorinee is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome