Wrestling Forum: WWE, AEW, New Japan, Indy Wrestling, Women of Wrestling Forums

-   Anything (https://www.wrestlingforum.com/anything/)
-   -   Anyone else feel their college education was pointless? (https://www.wrestlingforum.com/anything/2095610-anyone-else-feel-their-college-education-pointless.html)

redban 12-27-2016 08:45 AM

Anyone else feel their college education was pointless?
 
In high school and college, all the teachers and guidance counselors told me that college was so important for your future.

Today?

I'm a college graduate currently working full-time. Nothing I learned in college relates, even slightly, to my job duties (or to the job duties of my co-workers, including my supervisors).

Likewise, during the job hunt that lead to this job, I did around 5-6 interviews at various places. Not one person ever inquired about what I learned in college, nor did I ever feel that the material I learned was relevant to anything.

It seems to me that a college degree is just something that fulfills the requirement on a job ad; employers just want to see that you have one. I truly believe that college shouldn't be so necessary in a job search.

Oda Nobunaga 12-27-2016 08:50 AM

Re: Anyone else feel their college education was pointless?
 
I prefer Tech Schools or Vocational Schools just for this purpose. Most are for-profit and thus tuition is expensive, but at the very least, you'll actually be learning your tricks of the trade instead of wallowing in studies that have absolutely nothing to do with what you want to do in life. For those who are going to major somewhere in the academic field, though, traditional colleges and universities are obviously much better.

Miss Sally 12-27-2016 09:44 AM

Re: Anyone else feel their college education was pointless?
 
A lot of what I learned had to be unlearned when I did my job. I'm perplexed why College and real world application differ for some Careers so greatly. You think they'd be on par with each other.

It does explain why some College kids are completely delusional about the real world and cannot function outside of college.

Reaper 12-27-2016 10:32 AM

Re: Anyone else feel their college education was pointless?
 
Sociology, yes. Holy fuck it took me more than a decade to get rid of the insane amount of Canadian socialist/anti-corporatist/Keynesian brainwashing that I experienced in those 3 years of my college. I was an early 2000's SJW and was one till at least 2010 based on my earliest facebook posts.

MBA, No. It helped me eventually wipe the slate clean and free myself of the college indoctrination that I experienced - even though for the initial part of my career it made me a less effective employee as I was still in the fog of believing that every corporation I worked for was "evil" in some way or the other ... Believing that making money was innately evil and therefore had resigned myself to a bit of a hippie non-materialistic life. Eventually however, I realized that that was a form of religious indoctrination and I had to unlearn what I had learnt in my bullshit Canadian education experience to become a better worker and person as a whole.

This Christmas I let myself go and enjoy the fruits of the labor of hard work. We went on a shopping spree and spent close to $2000 bucks in a month (on top of bills) and it feels damned good. I'm the happiest I've ever been ... and I attribute some of my earlier discontent and unhappiness to my college indoctrination. I also wouldn't be surprised if a lot of SJW's that appear to be so unhappy are such as a result of the horrible content of their college courses today. I'm sure there's a "sociological study" in there somewhere :troll

ReekOfAwesomenesss 12-27-2016 10:36 AM

Re: Anyone else feel their college education was pointless?
 
Unless your department is about arts or sports or practical things like that, and if you don't pursue to be an academic; YES it is pointless in most of the time.

I am about to graduate in 2 weeks now and already understand what you are going through.

Miss Sally 12-27-2016 10:42 AM

Re: Anyone else feel their college education was pointless?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carte Blanche (Post 64593610)
Sociology, yes. Holy fuck it took me more than a decade to get rid of the insane amount of Canadian socialist/anti-corporatist/Keynesian brainwashing that I experienced in those 3 years of my college. I was an early 2000's SJW and was one till at least 2010 based on my earliest facebook posts.

MBA, No. It helped me eventually wipe the slate clean and free myself of the college indoctrination that I experienced - even though for the initial part of my career it made me a less effective employee as I was still in the fog of believing that every corporation I worked for was "evil" in some way or the other ... Believing that making money was innately evil and therefore had resigned myself to a bit of a hippie non-materialistic life. Eventually however, I realized that that was a form of religious indoctrination and I had to unlearn what I had learnt in my bullshit Canadian education experience to become a better worker and person as a whole.

This Christmas I let myself go and enjoy the fruits of the labor of hard work. We went on a shopping spree and spent close to $2000 bucks in a month (on top of bills) and it feels damned good. I'm the happiest I've ever been ... and I attribute some of my earlier discontent and unhappiness to my college indoctrination. I also wouldn't be surprised if a lot of SJW's that appear to be so unhappy are such as a result of the horrible content of their college courses today. I'm sure there's a "sociological study" in there somewhere :troll

A friend of mine is a very smart cookie and she took sociology and became a completely different person, she's now more even but before it was awful. The problem with some College classes is that some aren't factual but taught as fact, it's pretty dangerous when you think about it.

Reggie Dunlop 12-27-2016 10:54 AM

Re: Anyone else feel their college education was pointless?
 
College, with a few exceptions, isn't so much about what you learn, but how you learn. You can't possibly be taught everything you will ever need to know in a 4-year program to succeed in the real world, but for the most part a good college education gives you the foundation upon which to build your own success. Life, after all, is a never-ending learning experience. It is by no means the only way, depending on your areas of interest, levels of self-motivated and other factors. But generally speaking, college grads tend to have a better rounded background to hit the job market with. What you get out of an undergrad college education is not what you've learned, but learning how to learn. Kind of the same concept as teaching a man to fish. That's very much less the case in grad school, where concentrations are so much more specific and applied.

I've heard many educators deliver a similar message at graduation time: school is done, now your education begins.

BehindYou 12-27-2016 11:43 AM

In the UK, university applications are done as part of the curriculum for most who continue in education past 16.

As part of this, the myth is still perpetuated that you will walk into a £30k job post uni but this hasn't been true (and going to uni hasn't been a big deal) since at the latest the early 2000s.

It's still worth it for high flyers with specific goals but for 90% of uni students, they are just putting off the jobs they eventually do anyways (and would of been better off going straight into) to do a pointless humanities degree.

My city is full of graduates working minimum wage jobs in retail, care, hospitality and call centres.

I recently hired a guy who's been out of Uni 2 years with a degree in Law and a masters in European law to do the baseline minimum wage job at my company.

The guy has the common sense of a toothpick though and that's another issue, I lived alone and worked full time for 2 years before I went to uni but many people come out with not only a pointless qualification but minimal lifeskills cause they've lived off a loan, their parents and microwavable meals for 3 years.

witchblade000 12-27-2016 11:45 AM

Re: Anyone else feel their college education was pointless?
 
I honestly think college is pointless. A lot of the jobs that people pay a shitload of money to get a degree for that career field can be done without a degree. All they need is 1-3 weeks of paid on the job training before actually working and they're ok.

Reaper 12-27-2016 11:54 AM

Re: Anyone else feel their college education was pointless?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BehindYou (Post 64594426)
It's still worth it for high flyers with specific goals but for 90% of uni students, they are just putting off the jobs they eventually do anyways (and would of been better off going straight into) to do a pointless humanities degree.

My city is full of graduates working minimum wage jobs in retail, care, hospitality and call centres.

This is the key here but with certain countries more so than others. Canada, Australia and UK seem to have a much harder time creating jobs for graduates than America where I consistently still hear about college graduates getting very decent high paying jobs.

Everyone that my wife worked with that went to school found a job right after which is why my wife is in Business School right now herself. We're extremely confident that she's going to find work near one of the mega-cities right after and she's already made senior management at her company just on the basis of high school (that said, my wife is one of the high flyers you're talking about too so I suppose that does make a difference as well).

In any case, I think it's a government regulation issue (over-taxation, higher barriers to entry for entrepreneurs, high minimum wage rates etc) that has created a climate of poor job prospects for college grads in certain cities and even countries in the western world rather than lack of decent college education itself. Of course, the fact that people are getting ridiculous degrees in shit like "feminist dance therapy" and the like has a lot to do with their lack of job prospects as well. Schools are definitely ripping students off by implying good job prospects with bullshit degrees.

Quote:

Originally Posted by witchblade000 (Post 64594458)
I honestly think college is pointless. A lot of the jobs that people pay a shitload of money to get a degree for that career field can be done without a degree. All they need is 1-3 weeks of paid on the job training before actually working and they're ok.

Not all college degrees are pointless in America. Only the ridiculously specialized social "science" ones are for the most part but even those cultural marxists have created an industry amongst themselves.

As long as you get a degree in something that's in high demand, you're set for life. I mean, if you're getting a degree where you watch movies and read books for 3 years, then of course that's useless. But if you're majoring as an engineer or any kind of technical expertise, then you're pretty much guaranteed a career.

This idea that "you should do what your heart desires" is a bigger problem than we're told. If you want to work, then you don't always or shouldn't always simply do only what you like to do ... until and unless you have an entrepreneurial spirit and can create your own brand out of it.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome