Competent Refs will be a game changer for professional wrestling - Wrestling Forum: WWE, AEW, New Japan, Indy Wrestling, Women of Wrestling Forums
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Moron
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: US
Posts: 16,051
Points: 8,361
                     
Competent Refs will be a game changer for professional wrestling

I've read AEW wants to be more like a sport, have wins and losses matter, be the alternative to WWE, etc.

By now you've likely seen the female ref Aubrey Edwards. She's been getting praise, in my opinion rightfully so. She's not an idiot; not scripted to be an idiot. Two cases that made her stand out to me and engage me more in the product:

1) Shawn Spears hits Cody with a chair then turns and glares at Brandi. Edwards gets between them and shakes her head. To me, signaling a "don't you dare".

2) Jericho pushed Edwards, yelling at get for not counting to 3. Edwards scolded Jericho and reminded him she's the ref, not to put his hands on her.

A lot of this is awesome in that we're seeing a woman stick up for herself. But, we're also seeing a ref stick up for themselves and not be a punk to wrestlers, oblivious to wrong doing. It's a very subtle involvement from the refs, but not having them be helpless NPCs gives an edge to the product. Everyone wants to talk about the quality of wrestling or the mature storylines, but a real ref bring competent and in charge really helps set the atmosphere for a more serious product.

I just needed to rant that. Some idiots were bashing people praising Edwards, saying it's only because she's a woman. I disagree. It's because AEW is letting her do her job, and other refs, unlike many promotions before.

... Thoughts?
All Elite Wanking is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:11 PM
 
Saintpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,087
Points: 4,451
                     
Re: Competent Refs will be a game changer for professional wrestling

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Elite Wanking View Post
I've read AEW wants to be more like a sport, have wins and losses matter, be the alternative to WWE, etc.

By now you've likely seen the female ref Aubrey Edwards. She's been getting praise, in my opinion rightfully so. She's not an idiot; not scripted to be an idiot. Two cases that made her stand out to me and engage me more in the product:

1) Shawn Spears hits Cody with a chair then turns and glares at Brandi. Edwards gets between them and shakes her head. To me, signaling a "don't you dare".

2) Jericho pushed Edwards, yelling at get for not counting to 3. Edwards scolded Jericho and reminded him she's the ref, not to put his hands on her.

A lot of this is awesome in that we're seeing a woman stick up for herself. But, we're also seeing a ref stick up for themselves and not be a punk to wrestlers, oblivious to wrong doing. It's a very subtle involvement from the refs, but not having them be helpless NPCs gives an edge to the product. Everyone wants to talk about the quality of wrestling or the mature storylines, but a real ref bring competent and in charge really helps set the atmosphere for a more serious product.

I just needed to rant that. Some idiots were bashing people praising Edwards, saying it's only because she's a woman. I disagree. It's because AEW is letting her do her job, and other refs, unlike many promotions before.

... Thoughts?
Not particular to her, but have we gotten any clear idea of what it even takes to get DQd in AEW?
NondescriptWWEfan likes this.

Release the hounds!
Saintpat is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 06:40 AM
 
DetroitRiverPhx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9,072
Points: 14,768
                     
Re: Competent Refs will be a game changer for professional wrestling

Hands on a referee should be a big time fine, kayfabe wise of course. Jericho pushing the referee - referee pushed back stuff doesn't work with female referees. Also it's from an era when referees were there to be bullied and intimidated by the talent for the little guy ref to have had enough and fire back. In all other sports the referees don't take any shit from players - on the field of play they are the boss and they have that mindset. Even in MMA when the fighters are in hand to hand combat and the referee is a lot smaller in some cases, fighters at the high levels do not think about going at a ref.

Refs and umpires let more things go in big games than in earlier season games or prelim fights - same could still happen in AEW - referee discretion. Lower level matches should be ruled with an iron fist rules wise. But title fights get more leeway.
Ace likes this.
DetroitRiverPhx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 06:48 AM
alexa = greatest of all time!
 
NondescriptWWEfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,178
Points: 7,666
                     
Re: Competent Refs will be a game changer for professional wrestling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintpat View Post
Not particular to her, but have we gotten any clear idea of what it even takes to get DQd in AEW?
the spears cody match made this very unclear. the lifting belt was clearly made out to be a dangerous weapon that deserves DQ for being used, but a regular belt (still a weapon) was allowed to be used right in front of the ref.
All Elite Wanking likes this.

number 1 fan of The Face Of WWE alexa

Suffering from incurable Bliss Fever ❤️❤️❤️

Alexa Bliss - global megastar, Tag team Champion, future first ballot hall of famer and Undisputed SD and RAW champ. watch out becky, shes gonna take your crown.

(sigh) oh, Alexa, how magnificent you are. Don't you ever get tired of being so perfect?

I also support BlissCross, the current tag team champs her and Nikki!
NondescriptWWEfan is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 05:32 AM
 
optikk sucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 10,136
Points: 1,843
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintpat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Elite Wanking View Post
I've read AEW wants to be more like a sport, have wins and losses matter, be the alternative to WWE, etc.

By now you've likely seen the female ref Aubrey Edwards. She's been getting praise, in my opinion rightfully so. She's not an idiot; not scripted to be an idiot. Two cases that made her stand out to me and engage me more in the product:

1) Shawn Spears hits Cody with a chair then turns and glares at Brandi. Edwards gets between them and shakes her head. To me, signaling a "don't you dare".

2) Jericho pushed Edwards, yelling at get for not counting to 3. Edwards scolded Jericho and reminded him she's the ref, not to put his hands on her.

A lot of this is awesome in that we're seeing a woman stick up for herself. But, we're also seeing a ref stick up for themselves and not be a punk to wrestlers, oblivious to wrong doing. It's a very subtle involvement from the refs, but not having them be helpless NPCs gives an edge to the product. Everyone wants to talk about the quality of wrestling or the mature storylines, but a real ref bring competent and in charge really helps set the atmosphere for a more serious product.

I just needed to rant that. Some idiots were bashing people praising Edwards, saying it's only because she's a woman. I disagree. It's because AEW is letting her do her job, and other refs, unlike many promotions before.

... Thoughts?
Not particular to her, but have we gotten any clear idea of what it even takes to get DQ’d in AEW?
lmao yeah like nothing will get you DQd. It is nice to see referees have freedom to make these decisions

But honestly, it’s nice to see referees actually have character. Because it can change the whole dynamic of the match. Is the referee strict or lenient? Is the ref a fast or slow counter? Is the ref fair or unfair? Is the referee gonna bump after an accidental punch or do they literally need to take a finisher to get knocked out?

A heel ref can really help get someone over. Imagine a face overcoming not only their opposition, but overcome fast counts, weapon use etc.

Like Austin said, you have the piss off the viewers to have them return and watch again. A heel ref helping a heel retain his belt will piss off viewers. It’s a fantastic breath of fresh air.


optikk sucks is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:31 AM
 
IronMan8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,828
Points: 6,334
                     
If you want realistic referees go watch Rocky Mountain Pro with Vince Russo writing for them.

They’ve legit got realistic rules in place that do away with all the referee tropes that we’ve come to accept over the years.

AEW is nowhere near realistic in this area, you’ve just accepted a showman’s schema about referees that’s been crafted over decades.
patpat likes this.

Last edited by IronMan8; 09-08-2019 at 07:33 AM.
IronMan8 is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:46 AM
 
Soul Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,844
Points: 5,828
                     
Re: Competent Refs will be a game changer for professional wrestling

I don't really see how refs are in any way a factor in wrestling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthday_massacre View Post
You really dont think if the main roster was more like NXT the ratings wouldn't go up?
Soul Rex is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:59 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,089
Points: 9,389
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Elite Wanking View Post
I've read AEW wants to be more like a sport, have wins and losses matter, be the alternative to WWE, etc.

By now you've likely seen the female ref Aubrey Edwards. She's been getting praise, in my opinion rightfully so. She's not an idiot; not scripted to be an idiot. Two cases that made her stand out to me and engage me more in the product:

1) Shawn Spears hits Cody with a chair then turns and glares at Brandi. Edwards gets between them and shakes her head. To me, signaling a "don't you dare".

2) Jericho pushed Edwards, yelling at get for not counting to 3. Edwards scolded Jericho and reminded him she's the ref, not to put his hands on her.

A lot of this is awesome in that we're seeing a woman stick up for herself. But, we're also seeing a ref stick up for themselves and not be a punk to wrestlers, oblivious to wrong doing. It's a very subtle involvement from the refs, but not having them be helpless NPCs gives an edge to the product. Everyone wants to talk about the quality of wrestling or the mature storylines, but a real ref bring competent and in charge really helps set the atmosphere for a more serious product.

I just needed to rant that. Some idiots were bashing people praising Edwards, saying it's only because she's a woman. I disagree. It's because AEW is letting her do her job, and other refs, unlike many promotions before.

... Thoughts?
It would be a great moment if a heel tries to force a ref bump to cause a DQ, only for the referee for once to not be made of paper chips, shrug it off, and continue the match.
Seafort is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:33 PM
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
 
Reggie Dunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: RI, USA
Posts: 4,121
Points: 13,809
                     
Re: Competent Refs will be a game changer for professional wrestling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Rex View Post
I don't really see how refs are in any way a factor in wrestling.
Well that explains a lot.

Send lawyers, guns and money.

Reggie Dunlop is online now  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:59 PM
 
Saintpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,087
Points: 4,451
                     
Re: Competent Refs will be a game changer for professional wrestling

Quote:
Originally Posted by optikk sucks View Post
lmao yeah like nothing will get you DQd. It is nice to see referees have freedom to make these decisions

But honestly, its nice to see referees actually have character. Because it can change the whole dynamic of the match. Is the referee strict or lenient? Is the ref a fast or slow counter? Is the ref fair or unfair? Is the referee gonna bump after an accidental punch or do they literally need to take a finisher to get knocked out?

A heel ref can really help get someone over. Imagine a face overcoming not only their opposition, but overcome fast counts, weapon use etc.

Like Austin said, you have the piss off the viewers to have them return and watch again. A heel ref helping a heel retain his belt will piss off viewers. Its a fantastic breath of fresh air.
Id be surprised if they go heel ref because thats good for a one-time pop but after that every time the heel ref shows up you expect shenanigans.

And putting focus on officials rather than the wrestlers is a tricky proposition.

Release the hounds!
Saintpat is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome