Wrestling Forum banner

Tag teams that never reached their potential

2K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  jbl4life 
#1 ·
Some tag teams look very good on paper and when you see them on TV, but are not able to be as good/great as some think they would.

What are some examples of tag teams that never reached their potential?

I have to nominate Big Show and Undertaker.

The idea of them teaming up seemed really awesome, and though they were two-time tag team champs, they never really meshed.

1. They never saw eye-to-eye, as evidenced by when Taker left Show high and dry when they lost to the Rock and Sock Connection the first time.

2. They held the titles for only 21 days combined.

By contrast, when Big Show teamed up with the other Brother of Destruction, that ended up being what this should have been- a dominant tag-team capable of destroying all opponents.

#7 ·
The Hass (Charlie & Russ) brothers, by all accounts they had excellent chemistry together (no shock there really, them being brothers), but Russ' shock death put a stop to any dreams of the 2 hitting the big time together.

#9 ·
Idol Stevens & KC James
I thought they were underrated as far as their in-ring ability is concerned. They weren't on the main roster for very long and I wish they had kept them together longer. I thought they gelled well together.

Lo Down (D-Lo Brown & Chaz)
If they weren't saddled with Tiger Ali Singh, I think they had the chemistry to become a quality face team.

#11 ·
Cryme Tyme
Deuce and Domino (I thought hey had potential as a tag team)
Haas and Benjamin (Could have done a lot more with them after the split from Angle)

#12 ·
MNM did win the tag team titles on their debut but for the main year they were together (05-06) the Smackdown tag division was pretty much a shambles as they were barely any teams in the division.

Agree with KC James & Idol Stevens too, they had a pretty good match vs. London & Kendrick at No Mercy 2006 and showed decent potential. They pulled the plug too early on them.

I always thought Carlito & Chris Masters and Jesse & Festus could have achieved more as teams if the booking teams were on their side.

#13 ·
The Sheepherders. Great, aggressive, heel tag team outside WWF. Who can forget their work in UWF, and their rivalry with The Fantatsics which culminated into some of the greatest tag matches ever. On top of that, their work in Memphis and NWA. Then WWF turn them into a complete joke as the Bushwackers.

#18 ·
I don't know if you'd say they didn't reach their potential but its a damn shame Adonis & Murdoch were tag champs right before the big WWF national expansion happened and aren't recognized for being as great as they were. Furnas and LaFon being stuck on the midcard was weak too but I can understand it from a business standpoint.

#19 ·
Originally Posted by philip3831
I always liked the Beverly Brothers too. Can't put my finger on it.
Like the Bushwackers, they where a brilliant team PRE WWF, as The Destruction Crew they where absolutely lethal

I always felt Marty Jannetty and the 123 Kid had serious potential to be a really hot tag team

More recently, Carlito and Primo where broke up well before their time, absolutely stupid decision that was

#23 ·
London & Kendrick - They were a great high flying team and everyone loved them.

Rosey & The Hurricane - I marked for them. No lie.

Kid Kash & Jamie Noble - Could have made one hell of a trailer trash team. Wish WWE kept both of them. :(

John Morrison & The Miz - Do not deny it. They were an outstanding tag team.

The Colons - Just seemed right.

The Heart Throbs - BAHAHA ok just kidding.

#26 ·
Mean Street Posse

#27 ·
Oh where do I begin:

The Killer Bees = These two had all the ability of teams like The Harts, Strike Force, & The Bulldogs, but they never got treated like it.

The Rockers = Only reason they are on here is because they never won the tag titles.

Power & Glory = Great mixed up team with Herc as the power man and Roma as the more athletic guy. Their finisher The Powerplex (Super Plex from Herc + Top Rope Splash from Roma) was very cool too. But WWE never really pushed them, which apparently had something to do with Roma's attitude.

The Smackdown Six = Rey/Edge, Angle/Benoit, & The Guerreros were lighting up the SD scene for a couple months in 2002. While the matches were great, it was clear there was no long term plan for the teams as they pretty much used it as a way to shape singles feuds on SD's main event level just a few months later (namely Angle vs. He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named). I guess its understandable, but part of me wishes they kept this going a bit longer.

World's Greatest Tag Team = They split them up to push Shelton which was a mistake. Neither Haas nor Shelton was ready for a singles pus, but as a team they were gold. I should have been seeing MNM vs. WGTT matches. Speaking of which...

MNM = They only lasted a year and a few matches with The Hardys after that. They had almost nobody to work with which is a damn shame because they had everything.

Cade & Murdoch = This wonderfully old school team impressed me for their multiple runs, but again, despite a few tag title reigns, they never really got pushed hard as an important part of the show. They even broke them up once without telling anyone about it, which only made their rushed reunion even more silly.

Priceless = DiBiase & Rhodes are impressive young guys. Too bad they were largely relegated to mostly losing handicap matches & getting trounced by DX. When Evolution was over, Orton & Batista were ready to move to the next level. When Legacy was over, DiBiase & Rhodes had nowhere to go & were still low level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.