Wrestling Forum: WWE, AEW, New Japan, Indy Wrestling, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - What do you think is the best match series of all-time?

View Single Post
post #22 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 04:10 AM
DesolationRow
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being happy. -Robert Louis Stevenson

Location: Trying to not look long at her, as if she were the sun, yet seeing her, like the sun, without even looking.

Re: What do you think is the best match series of all-time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodletting View Post
So, WWE only? Then can we please get some pre-1998 choices?! The WWF/E had been promoting matches since the 1950's/

Sammartino-Arion
Sammartino-Zybisco
Sammartino-Watts
Sammartino-Hansen
Slaughter-Sheik
Backlund-Patera
Backlund-Snuka
Savage-Steamboat
Hogan-Orndorff
Patterson-Slaughter
............and more
Wow, great picks. Sammartino vs. Spiro Arion in, I believe, March 1976, is one of the best matches I have ever seen in my entire life. Truly spectacular.

Also, to the thread in general: Rock vs. Austin is one of the most overrated series ever. If we're counting their midcard matches, they were nothing special with Austin destroying Rock over and over. Their first Wrestlemania match is at best "okay" for what it is--on a show that hideously poor in wrestling content, it looks like Steamboat vs. Savage but it's not a particularly good match and one of the participants (Austin) more or less hates it. Their Backlash '99 match was dramatically better, and I liked some of the inventive spots, but it's not exactly a masterpiece, either. Wrestlemania X-7 is definitely the apex of this series, and just a very gutsy brawl that throws just about everything but the kitchen sink in. Wrestlemania XIX is fun for what it is, and that is, for its second half especially, a bunch of finishers stitched together. They were the two biggest stars in wrestling for a big portion of this series, but the series itself isn't the end all, be all of the industry.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome