Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Cornette

31K views 372 replies 137 participants last post by  Ger 
#1 ·
Like Dave Meltzer confirmed, this guy comes across like a complete hater. Fuck his 300+ year wrestling experience, he's a fucking idiot trying to remain relevant

#8 ·
I think Cornette is a straight up carny but I tend to trust his word over Meltzer, who isn't always accurate in his reporting.

#9 ·
Jim Cornette is a wrestling historian. He's a legend and one of the all time great story tellers. However the business has left Cornette in the past. He still thinks the ideas of the 80s will work in todays environment and that's just simply not true. I like Jim and I hate Jim...both are real easy to do.

Dave Meltzer is just a fucking idiot.

#10 · (Edited)

While Cornette did co-found the promotion, isn't it Rick Rubin's idea to have this movie gimmick in the first place? Then again he approved of it too so I guess that's on him too. They had a guy who was wrapped in bandages that could barely move, who was claimed to have been resurrected with magic and doesn't "expose the business" :lmao

Honestly though, they are both full of shit. But I'd listen to Cornette due to his actual experience in the pro wrestling business rather than someone who's just writing/commentating and never really had anything else to do with the business. My only gripe with Cornette is he's still stuck in the past and things that used to work before doesn't really work now. Maybe back in their day when suspension of disbelief is easier to do when it wasn't overexposed as to now.

Reactions: Bennu and CM Buck
#23 ·

While Cornette did co-found the promotion, isn't it Rick Rubin's idea to have this movie gimmick in the first place? Then again he approved of it too so I guess that's on him too. They had a guy who was wrapped in bandages that could barely move, who was claimed to have been resurrected with magic and doesn't "expose the business" :lmao
Wait wait wait wait...

Are you telling me that WCW ripped off Smokey Mountain Wrestling to create The Yeti?

#16 ·
But it has nothing to do with Wrestling with Cornette with his bashing of AEW. It's personally, it's clear he hates the ground The Bucks and Omega cause they called him out on his bullshit when he was in ROH. You seem like a smart guy, don't tell me you believe this is all down to personal taste in wrestling with Cornette. Cause it ain't.

#13 ·
I feel like Jim Cornette is a lot like Vince McMahon, amazing wrestling mind in the 80s and into the 90s, still holding on early 2000s, but in 2019 is just so out of touch with the modern fans. Jim isn't as deluded as Vince is but he definitely has some very dated views.

As for comparisons between Cornette and Meltzer, completely irrelevant imo, one is a long timer promoter, booker and on screen personality and the other reports news, backstage reports and gives his own opinions and reviews. This is as apples to oranges as you can get.

#20 ·
I like listening to Cornette's rants.

I don't always agree with him and most of the time, he sounds like an old man yelling at the sky, but he's fun.

Oh so he doesn't like AEW...are you shocked?

That's like being shocked that Scorsese doesn't like the MCU. Come on guys. No one honestly expected him to like it, right?

#22 ·
Corny usually at least has some kind of a valid point, but he's also quite clearly playing up his hate for the sake of drawing money and attention from his fan base. He's got his little world and it seems to make him happy so I won't begrudge him that, but this culture of "hate watching" is something I don't get.

#24 ·
I sometimes agree with him(like his opinion of Joey Ryan I agree with) but sometimes I don't agree with him(as pointed out, he's stuck in the 80s and that stuff doesn't work anymore.) he's fun to listen to no matter what tho, just him ranting can leave me laughing. I mean hell I even laugh at the stuff I disagree with because of how dumb I think it is, but him ranting about it makes it great.

#27 ·
I like Cornette, think he’s just hilarious. Do I agree with him on everything, certainly not. You can still like and respect people you don’t agree with. Jim’s type of wrestling, like what’s being presented in NWA is boring the crap out of me, I really love what AEW are doing. I would still love to sit down with Cornette over a sprite or two and listen to him tell stories.

#28 ·
I am always interested in what Jim has to say as his experience and overall knowledge of Wrestling in general is second to none. it might be just me but he seems to have his mind made up on certain individuals.

For example -

Joey Janella , Chuck Taylor , Kenny Omega, Bucks, Orange Cassidy - They could change their whole style and be the type of wrestler that Jim craves tomorrow and he'd still find something he didn't like about them.

He has his favorites too. God forbid anyone say anything bad about Seth Rollins' latest run but according to Jim, he's a top level talent.

I think some of Jim's comments about wrestling and how to do certain things, still carry a lot of weight in today's current style but I find his constant, personal vendetta's against certain wrestlers, drag it down somewhat .

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.