Wrestling Forum banner

Cody Rhodes to Challenge Chris Jericho for AEW Title at 'Full Gear'

9K views 93 replies 65 participants last post by  CRCC 
#1 ·

Cody Rhodes to Challenge Chris Jericho for AEW Title at 'Full Gear'

:cornettefu

And so it begins...

Cody is the guy who has been front and center for all AEW announcements, all AEW promotional events, and the guy acting as the "leader" of the company. Having THAT guy challenge for your World Title just isn't a good look, no matter how you try to spin it.

#31 ·
I am a mega Havoc mark. Having Jimmy Havoc vs Jericho as your World title match for Full Gear would be dumb. Should Havoc get a title shot on TV? Sure but a PPV? Nah even as a massive mark for him, that makes no fucking sense. Cody Rhodes is unbeaten in singles action and has the best record. Jimmy is 1-0-2. He is also more known then Jimmy Havoc. The company said wins and losses matter. Cody has also put on a number of the best matches so far. He makes the most sense to fight Jericho and lose.

#7 ·
Cody has the best win loss record. They said from the beginning that this is how they were doing it. It cuts out having to have useless #1 contender matches. If people want a shot they need to stop sucking.

It'll be interesting to see how this works when these stats really start piling up. A guy that gets too far behind could potentially never get a shot. And a guy that's too far ahead might be seen ad nauseum. Hopefully the stats reboot at a certain point. With Tony's football background, I could see that happening.

Anyway, I sincerely doubt Cody wins.

#8 ·
Nah I think it's more like MMA where it's less about the permanent record and more about what you're doing right now. A guy could lose 10 fights here and there over the course of his run and have like a 11-10 record but then if he goes on a streak of 5 big wins and he knocks out Ngannou, Dos Santos, Overeem and Cormier along the way then he's DEFINITELY in title contention

So in theory Shawn Spears could have a 50% overall win record but if he beats a jobber one week, beats a solid midcarder the next week, beats a midcard title contender the next week and then maybe another contender with a strong win percentage the following week, then he should be in title contention

Stats don't have to "reboot" they should just have a recency bias

#10 ·
Cody is the guy who has been front and center for all AEW announcements, all AEW promotional events, and the guy acting as the "leader" of the company. Having THAT guy challenge for your World Title just isn't a good look, no matter how you try to spin it.
Yes. Having one of your most recognisable stars and most over babyface challenge for the title is a bad look. What on earth are you on about!

#14 · (Edited)
I mean all the EVPs were going to hold belts at some point. It shouldn't be seen as an issue unless it's a constant thing and they're not putting anybody over but themselves.

As far as keeping official records, I think that goes away before they complete a year of TV. It's needless and it's going to end up handicapping them at some point in the stories they can tell.

#18 ·
Agreed. They can always play the subject to change card, but I feel like they should have waited. Of course I think tickets just went on sale today for Full gear, so they’re obviously just trying to drum up interest.

If you think about it, it had to be Mosley or Cody. I don’t know why anyone has an issue with this. Why does it matter that he’s the EVP? He, Omega, and the Bucks are all obviously going to have significant runs there. Makes no sense to have criticism of it.

#19 ·
Cody makes sense. There's been tension between them already and Jericho has already beaten three of his Elite buddies, which I think is a storyline being set up Plus Cody is their most over babyface right, and he has the best W/L record right now to.

I don't expect him to win though.

#20 ·
To be honest, I really have no problem with this.

So Cody is having a title match. What's the issue? It doesn't guarantee that he's going to beat Jericho and it doesn't guarantee that he's going to become this power-hungry man in charge to suit this Triple H and Steph comparison that people keep slapping on him and Brandi.

It's probably a big chance that happens, but I feel like sometimes you have to watch things casually to fully see how things play out. It can be difficult to do when the majority of members on the forum are wised up to the in's and out's of how wrestling works but if you take it down to its simplest form; would he not just be playing a good heel?

Eliminate the fact that he's actually a face right now and you've got a match set for Jericho's first-ever title defence against somebody who is currently undefeated. I'm sure almost everybody is going to disagree with me or suggest that I'm not looking at this logically, being shallow/stupid etc. but wrestling is and always has been very simple.

Good guy versus bad guy and their job is to give you a reason to give a shit and pay money to see it.

#23 ·
I still don't get the complains of Cody. Now, I don't like the manner in which he went over Spears, because Spears was made to look like a chump in that match.

But AEW does not exist without Cody. He's not the only reason it exists, but he's one of the main reasons it does. He's one of their most over guys right now. And he's one their few guys that's at a main event level. I mean look at their roster, their main eventers are basically:

1. Jericho
2. Cody
3. Omega
4. Mox
5. Hangman
6. PAC

And that's it. Omega and Mox are busy, Hangman and PAC will be too eventually. So you have another big PPV to sell, who the hell else are you going to put into that spot?

#26 ·
Well, he is the top babyface right now, so it makes sense. I just wish they had created the match using the upcoming tv shows to build and fuel the feud, not just announcing it out of nowhere.

They have a lot of time still to sell the PPV, they don't need instant sell-outs to every single show (and it won't happen, anyway).

#30 ·
Well, he is the top babyface right now, so it makes sense. I just wish they had created the match using the upcoming tv shows to build and fuel the feud, not just announcing it out of nowhere.
Why?

Guys, this is what's going to make AEW different.

So now is about the time where you decide if you want a different wrestling product or if you want WWE lite.

WWE is the company that makes title matches on the basis of who has personal beef with the champion, rather than on the basis of who is the most credible challenger for the champion. WWE will just have Samoa Joe, who is a 50/50 jobber, beat down Kofi after a match and then boom, all of the sudden he's a title contender. No logic and no suspense because Joe has no credibility. That's how WWE "creates a match" through weeks of Will They/Won't They interactions and contrived personal beef

AEW will be the company where records matter. Cody has the best record right now. He's the most credible opponent, so they booked the match. That's how AEW "creates a match". Now Jericho and Cody have a REASON to start interacting and to let their personal feelings bubble to the surface over the course of the next few weeks of building. It's not just going to be some guy bumping into some other guy in the hallway and now they have a PPV match just because they had a personal interaction. The momentum and credibility of the competitors is what determines the matches and the personal animosity comes into focus AFTER the guys have a reason to fight.

To me, this is a breath of fresh air. We know what the title match is, we have a LOGICAL reason for it to be happening, it has continuity with the booking thus far and it gives the wrestlers an actual reason to develop a rivalry. It's closer to sport than soap opera. AEW always said that was the goal and y'all been acting like you wanted that.

Now we find out if you really do. Or if you're too used to the Vince McMahon formula

#37 ·
it would be a bit silly to have the first aew title reign end so soon particularly if they want to attract casual viewers for tv

#44 · (Edited)
Cody is one of the few guys who deserve gold at this point

People will always shit on it for AEWWE / HHH / Jeff Jarrett / WCW reasons - but Cody is gold at this point.

He can and should be champ at some point as one of the most over guys on the roster
Cody doesn't draw. He just placed himself in the main event of Full Gear, and this is by far the lowest ticket demand they've had for a PPV yet.

He main evented FFTF, and had the benefit of having Jericho on the show to help boost the viewership, yet it still drew fewer viewers than Fyter Fest.

You shouldn't live inside of a bubble. There's a much bigger audience out there than the few thousand that cheered for Cody at All Out, and none of them give two shits about him.

HHH had every right to book himself as a main eventer, because he was one of the biggest draws of the 2000s.

#45 ·
In terms of the win/loss records, just reset them every year. Like in terms of football, you can say "Cody had a 25-34 record in the 2019 season and so far he has 5-1 beginning in the 2020 season". Like how you would do it for football. I think that would be the most ideal.

I have no issues with Cody challenging Jericho at Full Gear for the AEW World title. He has the best win/loss singles record and if these records are to matter, then Cody is clearly the number one contender (even if Moxley and Omega weren't busy). Cry "politics and glad-handing" all you want, and I don't doubt down the road that will be an issue, but Cody is arguably the most over babyface in the promotion next to Moxley and Omega. You don't think Jericho is going to use his EVP and Elite status as a focal point to this build? He has already beaten Page and Omega of the Elite to win the title and now he faces the public figurehead of the entire company. This story is going to be really good and some of you geeks will find a way to still follow it while moving the goalposts.

It's been your M.O. for months now, why stop now? :mj4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.