Wrestling Forum banner

Shawn Spears Is The Next Big Heel Post- MJF

13K views 153 replies 57 participants last post by  LifeInCattleClass 
#1 ·

That interview is evident enough, but Spears entire persona and mannerisms since turning heel has been astounding. He's taking in all the attention he's gotten for the chairshot and has turned it into genuine HEEL HEAT. I personally think he should slowly drop the 10 shit because it feels like he's leeching off of his WWE gimmick, but at the same it sort of fits the heel turn. Also digging the "Chairman" shit .

#133 ·
Another thread on here once again ruined by the gimmick posters and the usual suspects. Noticing a pattern here...:hmmm

I'm laughing at the fact that people were quick to bury Spears the second he left WWE for AEW because they wanted to be justified that he would be exposed. I heard the same spiel with CJ Parker (Juice Robinson), Cody (who I initially doubted, too), and even Jon Moxley. Now, one thing is clear. He was definitely a hire because of his friendship with Cody. That said, the opportunity he has been given, he's succeeding with at the moment. This is the most he has been talked about or even gotten himself over since the NXT days and even then, meme NXT chants don't scale to how over he was back then either and that's clear especially now in 2019.

Spears isn't the next big heel (not with MJF around) but he clearly is one of the top talents in the company that is over. He was over at FFTF and the interview he did with JR was great in how precise he was with why he turned on Cody and how clear his mind he was in doing so. All Out will be the litmus test for Spears if he can hang with Cody and I think he is fully aware of that. Sheesh, at least give him until August 31st,

People are just looking for irrelevant reasons to hate on Spears at this point. The same 4/5 gimmick geeks on here don't surprise me in their efforts of derailing any thread here that can spark a reasonable debate or that shows optimism for a promotion that is legit competition against a company they supposedly "hate" and want a different product. They concern troll and then play the victim when their posts easily get called out and dismantled. Those who come in here and offer genuine options (even if I disagree with them like RapShepard or Mordecay) I respect. Their intentions seem legit. Hell, I'm not even an AEW "fan", either. I just like the direction the company is going while having my issues and doubts against them. I have no doubt they'll get worse come All Out and the TNT show.

It's very clear with some of you, though. You don't want AEW. You want AEWWE. We see your intent. We're not fooled.

#35 ·
I've always been a big fan of the guy and I'm really glad someone is doing right by him. He really is a lot better than people give him credit for. I think people need to calm down about who's working what spot. It's a new company and they need to start somewhere. Once time goes by and even bigger fish start jumping into AEW, some of these guys will get weeded out if they're not up to par. If they are then that's awesome and I think right now AEW needs to take chances. Their OWN chances.

Where a lot of companies went wrong in the past is that they always pushed former WWE guys and didn't take chances on guys not christened by WWE as "deserving of a top spot". That automatically makes a company look inferior because it's like they need a WWE cosign on a dude like daddy's permission. AEW's gotta put on the big boy pants and make their own moves. And fans need to chill and not speak until the storyline is over. That's just my view.

#73 ·
Ah yes. Another thread where someone gets a little too far ahead of themselves. I think the segment was well done. It was logical, nothing seemed forced or unnatural and the inclusion of Tully adds far more intrigue than I had in the feud before had. But next big heel? Let's wait and see how the dominoes fall before making vast assumptions.

And it's nice to see yet another thread get derailed by gimmick posters (and naive people that just need to bite) and devolve into an endless spats about things that has been discussed ad nauseam.

#61 ·
I don't think bad of the dissenting opinions to @Vic ; 's point. I feel bad for him having to deal with about 5-6 posters making up 'strawmen' to try argue against his point. The healthy attitude here is to wait and see. If we look at his work AEW only, he's played the cards he's been dealt very, very well. When you look at the cards he was dealt in the WWE, he got the maximum out of that. Sure, he does lack a certain x-factor but all impressions within the AEW 'Universe', he's delivering great results from his material and at the end of the day, what more can people demand? He can't change his genetics.

#3 ·
I saw the JR interview and he was very well spoken and told a nice story over an obvious betrayal (obvious in the sense we could see it coming the moment Cody said "Good Hand").

It's a good start. One thing I still need to see is him brining good aggression in the ring. We've only see on sample from FFTF and while he did have good heel tactics, when he faces Cody I need to see a certain level of aggression to really drive home how much he hates what Cody said about him.

#40 ·
Right, because that worked out just as well for guys like Christian, Bully, fucking Cody for God's sake. Inb4 the obligatory "well they had talent herp derp" comment.

Stardust vs Tye Dillinger in the main event? That’ll put asses in the seats.
As many others pointed out not needing to go any further it's not the main event, so take the L.

That was a boring interview. I felt nothing while watching it. Spears has no charisma or personality in front of a camera. Cody can keep trying to make his buddy a star all he wants, it's never gonna work.
Except it already has worked he's the most over heel they have next to MJF.

I swear the Ascension could go to AEW and people would spin it into them being a GOAT tag team.
Holy shit what an overreaction.

Bo Dallas has had a better young career then your apparent “top heel” (LOLOLOL) Tye fucking Dillinger. It’s almost too obvious who’s going to respond to my posts anymore. So edgy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In what way? Bo won the nothing NXT title before it became worth watching and a tag title run with McGuliculty, Spears was consistently over and consistently received solo title shots.

I dunno about top heel AFTER MJF, the guy is 38-39? They gonna give him a short heel run sure, and it'll be a few good decent feuds. I see him putting both cody and mjf over however.
I think Spears may end up being one of those guys who has a few more years in him than he should just going by the fact that he's rarely injured and he still has a youthful look.

People are overreacting to the fact that Spears comes off better in AEW than he did in WWE because his presentation is better, but his level of talent hasn't changed. He's still average at best. I'm a little baffled why people are drooling over him now.
Because his character work has been fairly good?

That very well may be the case. I've seen people here clamoring for PAC to join the main event scene. PAC, who's arguably even worse than Spears.
Well you just lost credibility.

#65 ·
What's the better and better character? That's the thing with Spears/Dillinger folk say a lot about him. But rarely point out what's supposed to be great about him. $I hit Cody with a chair because he called me a good hand" isn't something that screams "great character". It's a decent enough reason for a feud, but it's hardly a character as of now.

This post has been deleted
#86 ·
The segment was intriguing and very well done. Nothing felt forced, the motivations were natural and clear. Adding Tully to the mix gives it an extra something too honestly.

But next top heel? Yeah that's a bit of an exaggeration :lol but I will admit I'm more interested in the match with Cody now than before I watched the JR interview so it served it's purpose.

#8 ·
Like I posted in All Out thread I was dissapointed with this interview, I feel that, after all the build up they did about JR interviewing him this was going to be like one of old JR sit down interviews, but this was rather short and uneventful until the reveal at the end, I feel that, while Spears was very well spoken, he didn't came across as a big superstar and that he lacked intensity. Also he wasn't very impressive in the 6 man tag at FFTF, so this "he is gonna be the next great heel"... I just don't see it. They put Tully with him, so it is obvious that they have big plans for him, but I don't know, he hasn't impressed me so far.

Reactions: Buster Cannon
#43 ·
Revival are amazing. You have to be a fan of that southern rasslin' style to appreciate them. And that style isn't for everyone. Especially if you didn't come up on it. But they're the best team going right now besides Lucha Bros.

I honestly think Ascension would be great for AEW. They were fantastic in NXT before Vince buried the living shit out of them. Seriously go back in the network and watch them. It's night and day.

#56 ·
Welp this thread had some values but to straight up lie and say that Spears is not next big heel is a joke. He still gets heat from that one chair shot to Cody's skull and some weak hearted people wanted him to lose his job over it. Yeah, clearly he is not getting heat when he did something that Cody couldn't do and that is beat Darby. Yup keep on chucking up lies. :mj4

#60 ·
Welp this thread had some values but to straight up lie and say that Spears is not next big heel is a joke. He still gets heat from that one chair shot to Cody's skull and some weak hearted people wanted him to lose his job over it. Yeah, clearly he is not getting heat when he did something that Cody couldn't do and that is beat Darby. Yup keep on chucking up lies. :mj4
If he wasn't Cody's friend he wouldn't have a job in AEW to begin with. He's trash. It makes the whole company look bush league by pushing a literal WWE reject who has the charisma of a tree stump as one of its top stars.

Reactions: kingnoth1n
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.