Wrestling Forum: WWE, AEW, New Japan, Indy Wrestling, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - How would you fix the WWE to help with better booking?

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:02 AM
SINdicate

Re: How would you fix the WWE to help with better booking?

Speaking as a UK subscriber to the Network and someone without a Sky Sports package, I can't actually watch RAW or SmackDown when they're live. We have to wait 3-4 weeks for them to be updated onto the Network because of a contractual cock-up between WWE and Sky Sports. In those 3-4 weeks of waiting, I can just watch a chopped-up 20 minute highlight video of both shows on YouTube. Not the way I really want to support WWE and their programming, but hey, if I'm giving you a tenner a month and you're not giving me your main two shows for nearly a month, what am I supposed to do?

That said, I believe there's such a thing as too much of a good thing, meaning that having RAW, SmackDown, 205 Live, NXT, NXT UK and the OP's proposed idea of a totally separate show just for women would be just as bad as that 7-hour Mania farse we had.

If you segregate women to their own show I can almost guarantee that even the most die hard WWE fan wouldn't watch it - more to that point, you really can't call it a revolution if you start off by segregating it completely. The women need to be featured just as much as the men on the main shows to gain any credibility.

Honestly, I'd change it up by not having the same shit matches on RAW every week. I remember back in like 2009-2011 when people complained about seeing Orton/Cena feud almost constantly, but is that any different to now?

General layout for a RAW now is:
  • In-ring opening segment on mic
  • Somebody interrupts and a match is made for later that night
  • Crowd hyper match like Bálor, Zayn, Matt, Jeff etc. against Crews, Corbin, Roode etc.
  • 4th commercial
  • Riot Squad against three randomly chosen women
  • 7th commercial
  • flashback to a pay-per-view or show 3 weeks ago
  • Corbin getting booed out the arena
  • 8th commercial
  • Elias doing much less than he should be doing
  • Impromptu title match, probably tag
  • Alexa Bliss comes out to say something and remind us she's still here
  • Sasha and Bayley looking miserable
  • 10th commercial
  • 3rd quarter in-ring promo or teaser
  • Main event that was booked at the start of the show

And to be honest, even if I could watch RAW when it's live on the Network or Sky Sports, I don't think I'd bother to watch 3 hours of the same thing every week. The highlights on YouTube are more suited to the kind of fan/viewer I am now.

This is just how I feel in regards to it but I'd say have both RAW and SmackDown run for 2 hours. Straight to the point, high octane action that makes us believe that these two shows truly are the best that sports entertainment/wrestling has to offer - stuff like G1, NXT and a lot of UK companies are shitting on WWE's flagship shows by doing nothing but wrestling matches.

Waaaaaay less titles. At this point everybody has a title and it doesn't help that a solid 60-70% of them are the same design with a different coloured strap.

Important one here: a fucking reason to tune in the week after. As much as I can appreciate that times have changed almost entirely down to the fact that WWE's talent pool is hella bloated, I really don't want to see the same shit every week. More bizarre stories that are entertaining.

Remember that episode of SmackDown where Edge had Kane running around the entire arena looking for Paul Bearer who was tied to a wheelchair? Hilarious. Torrie and Dawn feuding because her aunt was sleeping with her soon to be deceased Dad? legendary.

I think WWE takes itself way too seriously but without much reason to be doing so.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome