WrestleMania 19: The greatest WrestleMania of all time? (long read) - Page 4 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Carrying SCOTT STEINER's bags
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Everywhere in the middle of nowhere
Posts: 3,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: WrestleMania 19: The greatest WrestleMania of all time? (long read)

I disagree OP. Rock/Austin III was much better than Jericho/HBK and Brock/Angle IMO. I find the Jericho/HBK match and Brock/Angle match to be overrated, more so Brock/Angle. The match was boring up until the botched Shooting Star Press. Angle and Brock had a way better match at Summerslam.

Guy LeDouche is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Special Attraction at Wrestlemania
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 21,955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: WrestleMania 19: The greatest WrestleMania of all time? (long read)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGMofGods View Post
...out of curiosity, what was the first?
I'd say Mickie vs Trish from 22.
Choke2Death is offline  
post #33 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 07:52 PM
HEY PHIL
 
Stephanie McMahon's Christmas Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: WrestleMania 19: The greatest WrestleMania of all time? (long read)

I guess it just occurred to me that WM 19 was the last time (and perhaps the only time) that Hogan/Austin/HBK/Rock were all on the same card, but none of them interacted. HBK/Rock and Hogan/Austin would have been pretty awesome.

I really enjoyed the show, as it was. Hogan/Vince was pretty good for what it was. Austin/Rock is my favorite match between the two mainly because of Hollywood Rock. The moment that Rock and Austin share at the end is pretty special. Some people don't care for Brock/Angle, but I thought it was good. Brock missing the Shooting Star press is just crazy. HBK/Jericho is so great also.


Signature by ABROWN
Stephanie McMahon's Christmas Cookies is offline  
post #34 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 08:00 PM
HE'S FAT
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
                     
Re: WrestleMania 19: The greatest WrestleMania of all time? (long read)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGMofGods View Post
None of this has anything to do with the wrestling aspect of it. And WM 17 did not happen during the Attitude Era since it ended after WCW was bought out by WWF. So if anything it was the beginning to a new era.

And how was 19 a mess?
Like I said it was the finale of the era. Austin's heel turn was the official start of the new era.

Anticipation, build, atmosphere has everything to do with wrestling. Lance Storm and Tyson Kidd can have 5 star matches but if there's no intrigue going in nobody cares.

Here's why 19 was a mess.

Rock Austin 3 is probably the biggest reason. Those 2 guys are the top 2 draws of the era and when they're in a stale match with no emotion invested in it that's going to drag down the entire card. Nobody cares about getting a win back. That's just wasting everyone's time because we know the results and we know they're not going to match their previous encounters. Perhaps it could have worked if it was career vs career or if Goldberg was ref but it just felt like hey Rock gets his win back.

HHH v Booker T. I don't care what ratings say Raw has always been the A show. It's got the history, and the name brand. So when your premiere title match is not qualified to Main Event Raw you got serious problems. Not hating on Booker T but it was a match that felt thrown together and Booker T just didn't have the build to establish himself as a Main Eventer. He won a Battle Royal. Big whoop.

Rock, Austin and the title match are the selling points of a PPV back then and since they failed on those 3 critical points the PPV just flopped under it's weight. Michaels Jericho was really the only match were you said I want to see that and people just don't get geeked up over mid card matches.

I can understand that if you're just watching the PPVs on DVD you can say 19 was better, but if you lived thru the period you know 17 was wrestling at it's peak and not only did it have the anticipation but the card actually delivered and you left you speechless at the end.
GillbergReturns is offline  
post #35 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
 
Marv95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Near KOP, PA
Posts: 3,482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
                 
Re: WrestleMania 19: The greatest WrestleMania of all time? (long read)

The greatest Mania of all time yet we had:
-Miller Lite girls
-ShowTrain vs Taker in a handicapped match(though the entrance was cool)
-The wrong guy going over in the WHC match
-Buyrates were abysmal for a Mania(domestic or not).

It was an excellent Mania, but not only is it not better than X7, I don't think it was better than XX. Come at me, bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazegod99 View Post
You fucking politically correct morons are quick to defend WWE for every pussy ass decision they make, but complain about the show lacking attitude and intensity... SMH.
Right on!
Follow if you dare: https://twitter.com/LoneAdvMGL
Marv95 is offline  
post #36 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Carrying SCOTT STEINER's bags
 
genocide_cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
               
Re: WrestleMania 19: The greatest WrestleMania of all time? (long read)

ITs third best for me


follow me on twitter @genocide_cutter
genocide_cutter is offline  
post #37 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Wooing my way through all the B+ players to conquer the streak
 
TheGodsofChristmas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
                     
Re: WrestleMania 19: The greatest WrestleMania of all time? (long read)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillbergReturns View Post
Like I said it was the finale of the era. Austin's heel turn was the official start of the new era.

Anticipation, build, atmosphere has everything to do with wrestling. Lance Storm and Tyson Kidd can have 5 star matches but if there's no intrigue going in nobody cares.
But that ends up being meaningless in the end when the wrestling itself more than makes up for it. And not to mention, there was a lot of great build going into 19. A lot of the feuds were excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillbergReturns View Post
Here's why 19 was a mess.

Rock Austin 3 is probably the biggest reason. Those 2 guys are the top 2 draws of the era and when they're in a stale match with no emotion invested in it that's going to drag down the entire card. Nobody cares about getting a win back. That's just wasting everyone's time because we know the results and we know they're not going to match their previous encounters. Perhaps it could have worked if it was career vs career or if Goldberg was ref but it just felt like hey Rock gets his win back.
And yet it fitted in perfectly with the way that Austin could end his career. Having one last match at Wrestlemania against his longtime rival, the Rock, who never beat him before at Wrestlemania. They ended up having a great bout and it was a great way to end things for Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillbergReturns View Post
HHH v Booker T. I don't care what ratings say Raw has always been the A show. It's got the history, and the name brand. So when your premiere title match is not qualified to Main Event Raw you got serious problems. Not hating on Booker T but it was a match that felt thrown together and Booker T just didn't have the build to establish himself as a Main Eventer. He won a Battle Royal. Big whoop.
He was the last WCW champion that WCW ever had, he was already a big and established name. I honestly think they could've went with something better as well, but for what it was worth, it was a great match imo and it served its purpose.

And also, Vince was really high on Lesnar, which was why they had the Smackdown title match main event the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillbergReturns View Post
Rock, Austin and the title match are the selling points of a PPV back then and since they failed on those 3 critical points the PPV just flopped under it's weight. Michaels Jericho was really the only match were you said I want to see that and people just don't get geeked up over mid card matches.
Except the mid card matches are a big part of the reason as to why I think the show was so incredible. It wasn't just the main matches. Hardy/Mysterio was an insane cruiserweight match despite its short length, and was an excellent way to start out the show. The Divas match was definitely worth watching and a good match. And the triple threat tag team match was an insane nonstop action match that kept you entertained through out its entirety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillbergReturns View Post
I can understand that if you're just watching the PPVs on DVD you can say 19 was better, but if you lived thru the period you know 17 was wrestling at it's peak and not only did it have the anticipation but the card actually delivered and you left you speechless at the end.
None of that really matters to me. Because in the end I don't care for it. Well, I do, but it doesn't come into play when I decide what PPV's I thought were better. And just an fyi, I did watch at that time and I know about the significance of the event. But again, I'm doing this based entirely on the wrestling aspect, and in my view, Wrestlemania 19 blows Wrestlemania 17 out of the water.

It's like this. A lot of people praised Money in the Bank 2011. I for one freaking loved everything about that PPV and if I made a list of favorite PPVs, I'd probably have it in my top five somewhere. But I don't love it because of it's excellent build up, it's excellent atmosphere, or the fact that the people I wanted to win actually won (and I had my biggest mark out moment when Bryan surprisingly won MITB, a moment that showed WWE was willing to give the guy a chance), I loved it because it was a night filled with outstanding wrestling, started out well and ended on an incredible note with an outstanding main event match.

I simply had little to no complaints about MITB 2011. I can say the same about Wrestlemania 19. I can't say the same however for Wrestlemania 17, because there were parts of the show I did not enjoy from a wrestling standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
It was an excellent Mania, but not only is it not better than X7, I don't think it was better than XX. Come at me, bro.
Care to explain how it isn't better than Wrestlemania 20? (seriously, how is it not better? This is Wrestlemania 19 compared to Wrestlemania 20, cmon, please explain).


*Credit goes to that guy who likes breaking the fourth wall apparently for this sig

There is no PG Era. There never was a PG Era. Just sayin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Funkin Powers. View Post
i like TNA, but the tna section is like the shortbus if wf was high school
TheGodsofChristmas is online now  
post #38 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Challenging SCOTT STEINER's authority
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 4,843
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
                   
Re: WrestleMania 19: The greatest WrestleMania of all time? (long read)

I definitly prefer 19 to 17. Both are great, but 17 just doesn't do it for me like 19 does.

Only thing wrong with 19 was Booker should have beaten HHH.
RKing85 is offline  
post #39 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 01:16 AM
El Personas Campeón
 
El Taco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Re: WrestleMania 19: The greatest WrestleMania of all time? (long read)

I liked 17 and 22 (other the the World and WWE Title Match finishes) both better than WM19, 19 was still good though...

Pro-Wrestling Events Attended: Pay-Per Views: Elimination Chamber 2012, Bragging Rights 2010, WrestleMania 22, Judgment Day 2005 --- RAW: 2/20/12; 8/29/08; 4/3/06; 11/14/05 --- SMACKDOWN: 9/6/13; 7/22/11; 7/14/06; 11/18/05; 1/22/04; 9/12/02, 7/6/14 --- House Shows (RAW Brand): 1/31/03; 4/23/04 --- House Shows (SMACKDOWN Brand): 8/16/03; 12/28/12; 7/6/14 --- IMPACT: 3/21/13; 3/14/13 --- Ring Of Honor: 4/27/07; 8/25/06, --- Independent: MCW-1/26/08; 2CW-7/13/14
El Taco is offline  
post #40 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 06:58 AM
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
   
Re: WrestleMania 19: The greatest WrestleMania of all time? (long read)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGMofGods View Post
...out of curiosity, what was the first?
Trish/Mickie. The triple threat might have been better actually, although the WM22 match seemed more important.
ZBrillBladeTim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome