Re: WrestleMania XXIX Match Card Predictions
1. Tons of Funk vs Rhodes Scholars/Bellas – Couldn’t care less. This is the match that should be on the pre-show, not the IC Title match. It’s too bad Sandow and Rhodes aren’t doing something more important at this Mania. That IWC dream of Rhodes facing his whiny, payday-seeking, irrelevant brother Goldust sounds like a loaded main event compared to this. Gonna go with the heels winning because that can be the only positive out of this jumbled mess of a match.
2. Chris Jericho vs Fandango – WWE has to see something in Johnny Curtis’s character that we apparently don’t. I mean, the guy gets to debut in-ring at WrestleMania. And will Jericho do the job yet again, putting over a younger talent yet again? I could see it, but I’m actually gonna go with Jericho winning on this one. Fandango could surprise us all with what he can do in the ring, given the time, but the guy is still debuting at Mania and it doesn’t hurt him to lose to Jericho.
3. Tag Titles match, Team Hell No vs Ziggler/Langston – I feel that WWE should’ve done the “Get everyone on the card” treatment with the Tag Titles with a tag team turmoil match. Oh well. I think Ziggler is a wild card here, as is the placement of this match over the World Title bout. If the plan is for him to cash in MITB, is there a point to him and Langston taking the tag belts? I say Team Hell No retains, even though I think the time for Bryan and Kane to go their separate ways is now.
4. Ryback vs Mark Henry – I actually feel that we’re seeing Henry’s last match here. I’m not exactly sure why I feel that way, but I do. There was all that speculation in his lengthy absence that he might not even return, and he then came back out of nowhere and finds himself up against a Vince favorite, Ryback. I think it’s a given that we get the “Holy Shit” moment of Henry getting Shellshocked, and Ryback takes the win. And then the question remains, is it Henry’s last hurrah?
5. The Shield vs Orton/Sheamus/Show – You’d think that all the victories and sneak attacks are leading to the Shield finally getting their comeuppance at Mania, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them take another win, a very big one at that. I feel that Orton/Sheamus/Show will have some miscommunication and the Shield will capitalize on that. I’m going with the Shield winning, and for Orton to either turn on his team or at least tease something down the line.
6. World Title, Alberto Del Rio (C) vs Jack Swagger – This isn’t hard to predict; Del Rio wins. This match is a total platform for him to go over huge as a babyface, and don’t forget that Swagger still hasn’t been punished for ‘Weed the People’. The guy is lucky he’s still allowed to make DAT MONEY in a Mania title match. Del Rio goes over by submission, and then I see Ziggler cashing in and leaving Mania as World Champion.
7. The Undertaker vs CM Punk – The build to this really divided people; you either loved it or hated it, even if it was mediocre at times. I loved that final segment from Raw last week. It was ‘water cooler’ television that got people talking, which is really missing from WWE TV these days. Again, I feel this is a platform match, this time for Taker to tear Punk apart in revenge. I can’t wait for this one. Is it on par with Taker’s 4-year storyline and match arcs with HBK and HHH? Hell no, but it can be incredible in its own right and I look forward to seeing what Taker and Punk come up with. I say Taker wins by submission.
8. Brock Lesnar vs Triple H, HHH’s career on the line – People are showing themselves to be completely ignorant with this match. “Oh, HHH gotta get DAT WIN back! He gonna BURY Brock! Get da shovel!” You’re all IWC sheep, and I pity you. Look at the bigger picture and think outside your typical circle of HHH hatred. Brock is winning, and HHH is calling it a career. There’s an old saying in TV that goes if there’s a gun on screen, it has to be used. Well, there’s a career-ending stip featured here, so it’s gonna be used. Nobody benefits if HHH wins here, not even Hunter himself. Tomorrow he throws the suit on again and it’s back to the office. Lesnar is a top-drawing commodity whose image needs to be showcased properly if future matches against the likes of Rock or Taker are in his future. There’s no point in HHH winning, and it only hurts Brock and will get people saying “Well, now there has to be a 3rd match!” HBK being in HHH’s corner only seals his end, in my book.
9. WWE Title, The Rock (C) vs John Cena – Lots of speculation in this one. Will Cena finally turn heel? Is he channeling Stone Cold pre-Mania 17 here? I honestly don’t see a heel turn happening, but I guess if there was ever a place to do it, it’s in this match. But I just don’t see it. I see Cena cleaning beating Rock to take the gold, and frankly, I’m cool with that. That’s what this whole ‘redemption’ thing has been leading to, and I think it’s fine if Mania ends with yet another ‘Cena overcoming the odds’ story. I won’t pull my hair out IWC-style if it happens, and I think it’s the most likely scenario. Again, it’s just gonna get people talking about how there now has to be a third match, but we’ll see what happens with that. So, I think Cena wins clean here, and I could see it being by tapout in the STF.
I think Mania 29 has a very good chance of going down as an historical epic if it’s done right. Match order, match times, it all plays a part. On paper, the card looks excellent, and I hope everyone puts it all on the line tonight. I’m a fan of professional wrestling, so this is a show we all look forward to. Put the hate aside for one night and just take it all in.
I'm a Brock Lesnar Guy.
Arrive, F5, Rinse and Repeat...