Official The Rock vs. CM Punk Discussion Thread - Page 64 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums

View Poll Results: Rate The Rock vs. CM Punk Feud

Underwhelming 77 20.48%
Decent/Good 171 45.48%
Great 3 128 34.04%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Old 09-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #631 (permalink)
Learning to break kayfabe
 
thesukh03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 79
thesukh03 251 - 500thesukh03 251 - 500thesukh03 251 - 500
Default Re: Official The Rock WWE Championship Discussion

John Cena would have been a mid-carder in the Attitude Era which is 100% truth. He's just too clean cut for the 90s and the only thing he'll have going for him is the rapping character which was just a basic mid-card act for the extremely high standards that was set back then.
__________________
thesukh03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #632 (permalink)
Special Attraction at Wrestlemania
 
Choke2Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 20,436
Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000
Default Re: Official The Rock WWE Championship Discussion

Cena would have probably gotten over as an upper-midcard heel in the Attitude Era. The reason he was watered down after his face turn was because WWE got complaints regarding the things he said and in 2004, he was no longer allowed to cut his 'off the dome' raps anymore which further led to him becoming more kid-friendly and shit. In the Attitude Era, such a problem would not have been present at all. I think he could have gotten the occasional title shots, though, and once the Rock's and Austin's would be retired, he would continue where they left off in the main event with a more serious character. Kinda like how it actually took place, only difference being he would be considered an AE guy and his stupid ass haters would not get at him as the "PG guy" he's known as today despite being the oldest member of the roster (not necessarily by age) along with Orton if you exclude the AE left-overs (Kane, Christian).
__________________
Choke2Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #633 (permalink)
Vince gives me a comedy gimmick
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,407
GillbergReturns 2001 - 2500GillbergReturns 2001 - 2500GillbergReturns 2001 - 2500GillbergReturns 2001 - 2500GillbergReturns 2001 - 2500GillbergReturns 2001 - 2500GillbergReturns 2001 - 2500GillbergReturns 2001 - 2500GillbergReturns 2001 - 2500GillbergReturns 2001 - 2500GillbergReturns 2001 - 2500
Default Re: Official The Rock WWE Championship Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Mark View Post
I think Cena would have been an awesome character in the AE. He'd get over as a rapping heel but I don't know if that translates into the ME.
Really it just depends on how they'd use him. If they put him in pink underwear and had him valet for PMS obviously he's toast. It is possible WWE could screw him up from the start. But if they gave him a chance he'd be over with women from the start just like he was in 03. Vince would not ignore that. At the very worse he's going to get Edge type booking.

From there if he does get the rapper gimmick and busts out the tricked out mid card title belt that's another thing that gonna set him apart and give him some uniqueness.

I see no reason why he couldn't rise to the top during the Attitude era. The only question is where does he fit in and when does he get the opportunity to be a prime player in the mid card scene which was pretty weak for a good portion of the Attitude era.
GillbergReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #634 (permalink)
Proud Coiner of Dub's Vituperative Moniker, He of the Duplicitous Mien
 
DesolationRow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: My own version of Frank Zappa's log cabin
Posts: 11,980
DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000
Default Re: Official The Rock WWE Championship Discussion

The problem is you can't take a set of circumstances and neatly, completely transplant them to a different period of time.

John Cena's rapper character was able to take off in large part because pop culture had changed significantly from the late '90s to the early '00s. It's no coincidence that the character was formally born in the days leading up to the release of the Eminem-starring 8 Mile. Popular culture had shifted from the mid-to-late-'90s. The conditions for the rise of a marketable man with that gimmick and character were right.

But that doesn't mean Cena could not have risen to the top in the very heart of the Attitude Era. You can't prove a negative, especially when you're talking about someone who--as a midcarder, mind you--was responsible for practically 25% of WWE's merchandise revenue in the year of 2004.

The argument that Cena would be some midcarder in the Attitude Era is a questionable straw man at best. If WWE treated him and contained him within the midcard, well, of course. But if they had given him any shot at all the way they did in 2002-2004, I don't doubt that he would have found the right thing at the right time like he did (and thanks in large part to Stephanie overhearing his rapping, ha).

The problem is you can't take the conditions of say, 1998, and apply them seamlessly to 2002 or vice-versa. It was a different time. Vince knew Austin was not long for the business, and while he didn't fully know how soon Rock would be leaving for good for Hollywood, exactly, he still knew that his role in the company was changing and they were in need of new stars before too long.

Nevertheless, talent that cannot be ignored cannot be ignored. If Kurt Angle could penetrate the main event level against Rock and Austin, I see no reason to believe that John Cena simply could not. Cena didn't have the background or talent skillset Angle brought to the table but all other things being equal, Cena's impact on the industry outshines Angle's. Angle, however, was highly blessed by working top tier main event programs with some of the biggest names in the modern history of wrestling. So, again, you have to take all of these nuances into consideration if you want to attempt to find out how and where Cena would have fit in during the Attitude Era.
__________________
DesolationRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #635 (permalink)
Best For Business
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,571
Starbuck 26501 - 27000Starbuck 26501 - 27000Starbuck 26501 - 27000Starbuck 26501 - 27000Starbuck 26501 - 27000Starbuck 26501 - 27000Starbuck 26501 - 27000Starbuck 26501 - 27000Starbuck 26501 - 27000Starbuck 26501 - 27000Starbuck 26501 - 27000
Default Re: Official The Rock WWE Championship Discussion

Cena would have made it in any era imo. That much passion, dedication and his relentless work ethic alone would have got him far. The fact that he's extremely talented in all other aspects is the sealer.
__________________

~Nemesis~
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #636 (permalink)
Special Attraction at Wrestlemania
 
Choke2Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 20,436
Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000
Default Re: Official The Rock WWE Championship Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
Cena would have made it in any era imo. That much passion, dedication and his relentless work ethic alone would have got him far. The fact that he's extremely talented in all other aspects is the sealer.
Well said. Despite all the hate, a guy with Cena's talents is too good to ignore. I stand by my claim that him and Orton are the only guys from the current roster that could have made it in the Attitude Era without feeling out of place. It's also fitting that they joined the roster right after that era was over and Orton was even around before WWF became WWE.
__________________
Choke2Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #637 (permalink)
Searching for a new identity
 
#Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: DMV
Posts: 5,637
#Mark 5001 - 5500#Mark 5001 - 5500#Mark 5001 - 5500#Mark 5001 - 5500#Mark 5001 - 5500#Mark 5001 - 5500#Mark 5001 - 5500#Mark 5001 - 5500#Mark 5001 - 5500#Mark 5001 - 5500#Mark 5001 - 5500
Default Re: Official The Rock WWE Championship Discussion

I don't really buy that tbh. I think the whole work ethic argument when it pertains to Cena is a farce. Yes, Cena makes sure to do plenty of late night shows, make a wish appearances, hospital visits and other demanding activities ,and don't get me wrong he does a great job at them, but does he really work that much harder then anyone else? It just seems like WWE propaganda that has been shoved down our throats as truth through the years. Whose to say someone whose been established in the ME for over 8 years and will be the face of the company until he's done wrestling works any harder than a mid-carder trying to earn a spot?

I will say that Cena's look and talent alone could help him translate into the ME during the Attitude Era. He's an excellent mic-worker that would certainly serve as a Kurt Angle or Mick Foley type in terms of ME status.

Last edited by #Mark : 09-09-2012 at 03:34 PM.
#Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #638 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
zxLegionxz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,463
zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500
Default Re: Official The Rock WWE Championship Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Mark View Post
I don't really buy that tbh. I think the whole work ethic argument when it pertains to Cena is a farce. Yes, Cena makes sure to do plenty of late night shows, make a wish appearances, hospital visits and other demanding activities ,and don't get me wrong he does a great job at them, but does he really work that much harder then anyone else? It just seems like WWE propaganda that has been shoved down our throats as truth through the years. Whose to say someone whose been established in the ME for over 8 years and will be the face of the company until he's done wrestling works any harder than a mid-carder trying to earn a spot?

I will say that Cena's look and talent alone could help him translate into the ME. He's an excellent mic-worker that would certainly serve as a Kurt Angle or Mick Foley type in terms of ME status.
Yup,that whole argument is complete bullshit im sure even Rikishi worked harder than him on his time with the WWF,lets see he only works 1 show and house shows from RAW,promos same old crap every week nothing new and they feed him what to say,somehow he is the face of the company but the wwe is in an all time low so no mainstrem attention for him so he has spare time to go to the whole make a wish stuff and the matches he gets beat down to a pulp so he can make his 6 min comeback-win-pose-leave,as for his place at the roster im sure mid card at best...
__________________
http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo250/zxLegionSkullxz/goat.png


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock316AE View Post

No problem bro, just thought it can be used a lot, especially now when The GOAT is coming back to be the Shark of greatness in the middle of a sea of mediocrity :Rock
zxLegionxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #639 (permalink)
Working on my abs
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,627
murder 1001 - 1500murder 1001 - 1500murder 1001 - 1500murder 1001 - 1500murder 1001 - 1500murder 1001 - 1500murder 1001 - 1500murder 1001 - 1500murder 1001 - 1500murder 1001 - 1500
Default Re: Official The Rock WWE Championship Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxLegionxz View Post
Yup,that whole argument is complete bullshit im sure even Rikishi worked harder than him on his time with the WWF,lets see he only works 1 show and house shows from RAW,promos same old crap every week nothing new and they feed him what to say,somehow he is the face of the company but the wwe is in an all time low so no mainstrem attention for him so he has spare time to go to the whole make a wish stuff and the matches he gets beat down to a pulp so he can make his 6 min comeback-win-pose-leave,as for his place at the roster im sure mid card at best...
I didn't understand a thing you just said. I believe you claim WWE get no mainstream attention, which is really funny considering Rock and Lesnar as well as (to some extent) Cena and Punk are all over the media all year.
murder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #640 (permalink)
THE ONE.
 
YoungGun_UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 5,298
YoungGun_UK 2001 - 2500YoungGun_UK 2001 - 2500YoungGun_UK 2001 - 2500YoungGun_UK 2001 - 2500YoungGun_UK 2001 - 2500YoungGun_UK 2001 - 2500YoungGun_UK 2001 - 2500YoungGun_UK 2001 - 2500YoungGun_UK 2001 - 2500YoungGun_UK 2001 - 2500YoungGun_UK 2001 - 2500
Default Re: Official The Rock WWE Championship Discussion

I think Cena would have probably have become a Main Event Heel who could run with it till a chasing Rock/Austin beat him, the only think I could see against him was if his ring work would hold him back
__________________
YoungGun_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios