Wrestling Forum banner

Roman Reigns vs. The Undertaker

43K views 379 replies 164 participants last post by  wwe9391 
#1 ·
wwe.com said:
Only one Superstar can run the yard in WWE, and at WrestleMania, the world will find out whether that distinction belongs to The Undertaker or Roman Reigns.

The showdown between The Phenom and The Big Dog, now confirmed for Sunday, April 2, brings into conflict the most dominant force in WrestleMania history and arguably the most powerful competitor in recent memory.

The Undertaker has been WWE’s unofficial gatekeeper, enforcer and overseer for more than a quarter-century, regardless of his championship status at any given time. However, after Reigns ousted The Deadman from January’s Royal Rumble Match and then told the imposing legend that WWE is now his yard on the March 6 edition of Raw, it became clear that The Undertaker took issue with Reigns’ emboldened outlook. The evidence came in the form of a ring-shaking chokeslam that nearly put The Big Dog through the canvas.

The Deadman made a surprise appearance on Raw to remind The Big Dog whose yard he's standing in.

Reigns has achieved a stunning number of accolades in WWE at a breakneck pace, but defeating The Undertaker at The Show of Shows would launch him into WrestleMania infamy and solidify his status as “The Guy.” Over the course of his 24 WrestleMania appearances, The Deadman has lost only once, against Brock Lesnar in 2014, and as the WWE Universe knows all too well, The Undertaker takes on an almost supernatural power when competing at The Showcase of the Immortals.

Can Reigns usurp WWE’s Phenom at WrestleMania, or will The Undertaker prove he is still the biggest dog in the yard? Find out when The Ultimate Thrill Ride, WrestleMania 33, airs live on WWE Network Sunday, April 2, at a special start time of 7 ET/4 PT.

Let's do this! Will the Big dog hand the Deadman his second loss in WrestleMania history? Or will Undertaker make it 24 out of 25?

Tipping Roman to win after kicking out of 2 tombstones.

See less See more
#305 ·
You'd think if you were being told that you were going to retire a legend of the business, you might wanna bring your fucking A-Game.

A beaten and battered old man somehow outworked a young 'BIG DAWG'.

State of this company, mate.

#314 ·
I thought that was a beautiful match. It was botchy and messy from the physical aspects, but, bar none, that was one of the best stories ever in the ring. I've never seen a match that was so symbolic of reality. It was literally Taker's story. He wasn't going to give up wrestling until he was made to give up. He couldn't go anymore and as much as he and Roman started the match wanting to kill each other, by the end Reigns had no heart for it anymore. Taker forced Roman to take him out, because he was never going to choose to stay down.

It reminded me of a western. The young guy with a reputation is scared of the older guy with a bigger rep, but the town isn't big enough for both of them so they're gonna have to fight, they wind up wanting to kill each other. Turns out, all the young guy was scared of was a reputation, the old gunslinger couldn't back it up anymore, but the old guy isn't going to fade away quietly, he's determined to go down fighting, even if it's in name only, and forces the young gunslinger's hand.

#8 ·
Looking forward to this. Should be a very good match with Reigns going over (as he should). Wether this will be Taker's last match or not remains to be seen but it may well be given the angle they are running with and also Taker's condition (needing hip replacement surgery).

Will be interesting to see how they do the build up for the match overt the following weeks.

#20 ·
I just love how falsely spoken for all of us, eh?

Actually, I wanted this match, for quite sometime, and I hope Taker puts up a good/great performance. I'm not writing Undertaker off because I still think he has some fire in him.

This is actually a dream match I wanted back in 2015. What if a healthy Undertaker faces of with Roman Reigns? That'll be so awesome. I'm waiting to see Roman countering Taker's Old School into a seating powerbomb.

Since Undertaker is my all-time favorite and Roman Reigns is my current, I was Undertaker to win this but there's a part of me that thinks that Roman Reigns might beat Undertaker at Wrestlemania. It will be an exciting match without a doubt.

#162 ·
Smarks can hate this match all they want. This match will get the most attention, get the biggest reaction, and have the fans invested in the most.

Those reasons alone should have it go on last.

#308 ·
This night is proof of their stubbornness being a bad thing, when you let it retire the fucking Undertaker and it kills the entire crowd.

This wasn't a passing of the torch, literally none of the audience saw it that way. This is why their delusional booking is poisonous, the ending to Mania was just sad and such a downer.

#363 · (Edited)
Just re-watched it and I LOVED every second of it.

First and foremost JR being there was absolutely perfect. Man loses his wife and he goes to work because that's who he is.

The first 5 minutes with Taker overwhelming Roman by beating the piss out of him and throwing him all over was fantastic. It established that Taker is still the fucking man and this is his yard and if Roman wants it then he's going to have earn it.

The brawl around ringside was brutal in the classic slow methodical Undertaker way. His punches were all on point and Roman sold perfectly. That Chokeslam into the table was brutal looking. And that Spear into the table was great, as was JR's call. LOVED, Roman getting back in and screaming at a down Taker that its his yard only to see Taker do the sit-up looking pissed as hell.

The match in ring was great, granted there was ONE botch that everyone wants harp on because you just have to bitch and moan. I liked it because it sold that both men were dead tired and they were giving it everything that had. the chair shots from both were gross as hell and proof that a chair shot to the back is just as good as one to the head. Taker not hitting the last ride perfectly, and being slow on other things actually sold the story that Taker is done and he and Roman both know it, but there is NO WAY Undertaker is going down with a fight. Loved that he broke out one last Hells Gate and it was out of pure desperation and once he let it go he knew he was done for.

The final 5 minutes with Roman slowly but inevitably destroying Undertaker until he couldn't fight back was such beautiful storytelling. The call-backs with Taker reaching for the chair like H did with the hammer at 29 only to have Taker stand on it and shake his head, and this time Roman was shaking his. And the moment when Taker was on his knees attempting to use Roman to stand up, only to look up to see Roman staring down at him with a look of pity by his opponent were both amazing and gut wrenching. Taker telling Roman "You don't have the balls to end this'' was SO goddamn perfect. And completed the story of Taker fighting until his body couldn't take any more and forcing Roman to end it, both because he will NOT stay down on his own, and if Reigns wants the yard then he HAS to end it. Just beautiful storytelling

***1/2

Undertaker's retirement had me in tears and as far as I'm concerned its the best sendoff of any wrestler.

#THANYOUTAKER

#368 ·
Just re-watched it and I LOVED every second of it.

First and foremost JR being there was absolutely perfect. Man loses his wife and he goes to work because that's who he is.

The first 5 minutes with Taker overwhelming Roman by beating the piss out of him and throwing him all over was fantastic. It established that Taker is still the fucking man and this is his yard and if Roman wants it then he's going to have earn it.

The brawl around ringside was brutal in the classic slow methodical Undertaker way. His punches were all on point and Roman sold perfectly. That Chokeslam into the table was brutal looking. And that Spear into the table was great, as was JR's call. LOVED, Roman getting back in and screaming at a down Taker that its his yard only to see Taker do the sit-up looking pissed as hell.

The match in ring was great, granted there was ONE botch that everyone wants harp on because you just have to bitch and moan. I liked it because it sold that both men were dead tired and they were giving it everything that had. the chair shots from both were gross as hell and proof that a chair shot to the back is just as good as one to the head. Taker not hitting the last ride perfectly, and being slow on other things actually sold the story that Taker is done and he and Roman both know it, but there is NO WAY Undertaker is going down with a fight. Loved that he broke out one last Hells Gate and it was out of pure desperation and once he let it go he knew he was done for.

The final 5 minutes with Roman slowly but inevitably destroying Undertaker until he couldn't fight back was such beautiful storytelling. The call-backs with Taker reaching for the chair like H did with the hammer at 29 only to have Taker stand on it. And the moment when Taker was his knees attempting to use Roman to stand up, only to look up to see Roman staring down at him with a look of pity by his opponent were both amazing and gut wrenching. Taker telling Roman "You don't have the balls to end this'' was SO goddamn perfect. And completed the story of Taker fighting until his body couldn't take any more and forcing Roman to end it, both because he will NOT stay down on his own, and if Reigns wants the yard then he HAS to end it. Just beautiful storytelling

***1/2

Undertaker's retirement had me in tears and as far as I'm concerned its the best sendoff of any wrestler.

#THANYOUTAKER
:clap :clap :clap great great Analysis. Couldn't agree more.

This is how everyone should view how this match went.

Reactions: ecclesiastes10
#373 · (Edited)
I was there live man and to experience that was absolutely gut wrenching. I've been a fan of the Phenom since I was kid. As a kid from Texas who grew up a wrestling fan, he's been the 1 constant who's always been there from 1990 to now. Not SCSA, not Hogan, not Rock, not Bret...but Taker. He's been that 1 connection from the golden era to new generation era to the attitude era to the ruthless aggression era to the current HD/PG/NXT era. To see him retire and to know that he's gone (i.e no coming back at the Rumble, no more surprise returns on RAW, no more cool WM entrances) to know that it's over...yeah it got to me. When it happened I fought back tears. Grown ass dude having to fight back tears b/c I just saw my hero go down fighting. Got back to my hotel and rewatched the ending oh man did it get me again.

To me the match wasn't really about having a 5 star Meltzer classic. And I wish people would get off that. It was about the story. The story was that Taker, as awesome as he is...ran up against the one opponent that even he couldn't defeat. Nope, not Reigns. That opponent I speak of? It's Time. Taker has come back from the grave, he's been thrown off stuff, he's been buried alive, he's been set on fire but he always came back. But even he can't defeat Time. Undertaker's mind and spirit wanted to do it but his body just couldn't do it anymore. Like I said in a previous post, this isn't the 90s and we're not kids. And we're not seeing a young "future of the business" 31yr old Undertaker. No, we're seeing an undertaker who's 52. He just can't do it anymore. And that was the story that was portrayed and it was beautiful yet sad. Everything from Taker moving slower and slower to the tombstone botch added to the story of Taker's body just breaking down.

To Taker, I say thank you. Thank you for being my hero. Yes, I know it's weird. But I always looked up to him. He always seemed like a take no BS/straight up dude. Thank you for being one of the few genuine good guys in the business. The GOAT is always a hot debate. Some names deserve to be mentioned, some don't IMO. But Taker's name definitely deserves to be in that list.

I'm absolutely heartbroken over this. It was a hell of a ride from when he first came in at Survivor Series 1990 to leaving it all in the ring at Wrestlemania 33. The memories and moments. I got tickets to WM17 and finally got to see him perform for the first time. The excitement on my face when he came out on the motorcycle at WM17. Just brings back so many memories man. Truly a once in a lifetime performer. I'm pretty sure he's headlining the HOF class next year. It just makes sense. New Orleans is where the streak ended. He comes back to be inducted into the HOF. Hope he does Axxess next year too just so I can shake his hand, hug him and tell him "Thank You" Don't need an autograph or a pic. I just want to tell him "Thank You" It's gonna be weird having a Wrestlemania without his name on the card. Taker's performed at every Mania since WM7 except for two. Next year will be the first Mania without him since 16...always 20yrs ago

Sent from my iPhone7 Plus using Tapatalk

#42 · (Edited)
I hope Roman Reigns absolutely destroys Undertaker and shows no mercy. Tell the Dead Man that he's got a spot to bury him in his yard. Reigns should also attack Kane on the road to Mania :banderas

I don't expect a technical wrestling bout that will be remembered as a classic. As much respect & love I have for Taker, he has to do the job. I hope the match doesn't end in a handshake. I need that heel turn.

On a random note, I hope Undertaker gets a cool entrance at Mania.

#82 · (Edited)
People really need proof that Cena vs Undertaker is the far bigger and more popular match than Reigns vs Undertaker.

Oh let me think, the two repeated polls on who should face Taker on WWE.com or the fans straight up chanting "UNDERTAKER" at Cena on his return or Cena saying he should face Taker at Mania to a massive YES! ovation and compare all that to the reception of Reigns/Taker confrontations. All I heard was; "Roman Sucks" "This is BS" and booooooooooooooooooooooooooooos. Ha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.