Breaking: Dead Space Cancelled Following Poor Sales From Third Game? - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 03-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Scooty Puff Jr Sucks!
 
Scooty Puff Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,460
Scooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missed
Default Breaking: Dead Space Cancelled Following Poor Sales From Third Game?

Quote:
EA has axed the Dead Space series, a new report suggests.

Lower-than-expected sales of Dead Space 3 caused the publisher to put the series to rest, a source told VideoGamer.com.

Dead Space 4 was allegedly in pre-production at Visceral Games and Visceral Montreal, with the latter studio now shut completely in a restructuring move.

The studio's troubled development of Dead Space 3 was also mentioned, suggesting that the game was subjected to multiple budget cuts throughout its production and was almost cancelled outright at one point.

A switch from weapon-specific ammo to generic ammo was also done to facilitate the game's contentious addition of microtransactions, the source says. Visceral was also allegedly told to reign in the horror aspects and follow an action-focused approach similar to Mass Effect.

EA Games Label president Frank Gibeau has previously said its AAA games need to sell upwards of 5 million copies if they want to survive. Dead Space 3 managed to top the UK charts at its launch, although was outsold by its predecessor which launched in a similar period.

Earlier this year EA put the Medal of Honor to rest after poor sales.

Dead Space 3 will get a slice of single-player downloadable content, Awakening, in March.

EA said to GameSpot that it does not comment on rumour or speculation.
Source: Gamespot

Typical EA bullshit, one game does numbers they don't want and it's canned. really hoping this isn't true, but after what's happened with Mirror's Edge, Brutal Legend, and others I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
__________________
My Deviant Art, Check it

Scooty Puff Jr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ayatollah of Moral turpitude
 
blarg_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: My giant Igloo with built-in Wi-Fi
Posts: 3,672
blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_
Default Re: Breaking: Dead Space Cancelled Following Poor Sales From Third Game?

Why is it bullshit? If a game gets shitcanned because the company isn't making a decent return on their investment, that's a smart business strategy. Personally, I hate when games get milked, and imo the Dead Space series has gotten progressively worse. Won't shed a tear if they use their resources for a new ip.
__________________
blarg_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Scooty Puff Jr Sucks!
 
Scooty Puff Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,460
Scooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missed
Default Re: Breaking: Dead Space Cancelled Following Poor Sales From Third Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarg_ View Post
Why is it bullshit? If a game gets shitcanned because the company isn't making a decent return on their investment, that's a smart business strategy. Personally, I hate when games get milked, and imo the Dead Space series has gotten progressively worse. Won't shed a tear if they use their resources for a new ip.
EA always has too high expectations, it was pretty obvious that 3 wasn't selling anywhere near the 5 million they were hoping for after the game received backlash for the favorable action elements over the horror one.
__________________
My Deviant Art, Check it

Scooty Puff Jr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ayatollah of Moral turpitude
 
blarg_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: My giant Igloo with built-in Wi-Fi
Posts: 3,672
blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_
Default Re: Breaking: Dead Space Cancelled Following Poor Sales From Third Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic View Post
EA always has too high expectations, it was pretty obvious that 3 wasn't selling anywhere near the 5 million they were hoping for after the game received backlash for the favorable action elements over the horror one.
but the emphasis on action over the slow brooding atmosphere from the first game is precisely why I tuned out of Dead Space after the 2nd game. No amount of polish can make up for a game deviating from what made it so unique and engaging for me in the first place. Same goes with the Resident Evil series, most people love RE 4, but to me the series stopped at 2, only 3 being halfway decent. Hell, i'd put Code Veronica over 4,5 and 6 simply because it kept alot of the core elements from the original game. RE to me is a perfect example of a series going sour after being milked for too long.

Doesn't really matter what their expectations were really. Resistance 3 was a great game, but the series got shitcanned due to the abysmal sales and I really don't blame Sony. If there isn't an exponential growth rate in the sales of a series then there's little initiative to keep making them. If a game fails to match or surpass the sales of the previous game, especially when the previous game didn't exactly do Halo/COD numbers then that's a cause for concern.
__________________
blarg_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lacing SCOTT STEINER's boots
 
Stinger Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,460
Stinger Fan needs to make some friendsStinger Fan needs to make some friendsStinger Fan needs to make some friendsStinger Fan needs to make some friendsStinger Fan needs to make some friendsStinger Fan needs to make some friendsStinger Fan needs to make some friendsStinger Fan needs to make some friendsStinger Fan needs to make some friendsStinger Fan needs to make some friends
Default Re: Breaking: Dead Space Cancelled Following Poor Sales From Third Game?

If games were 40$ more people would take the chance on the game. Seeing as most people actually wait until it hits 40$, and generally thats where games get boosts in sales is from price drops. EA seems to expect games sell ridiculous numbers but you have to be realistic, the horror genre doesn't sell as well as it used to
Stinger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Scooty Puff Jr Sucks!
 
Scooty Puff Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,460
Scooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missedScooty Puff Jr probably won't be missed
Default Re: Breaking: Dead Space Cancelled Following Poor Sales From Third Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarg_ View Post
but the emphasis on action over the slow brooding atmosphere from the first game is precisely why I tuned out of Dead Space after the 2nd game. No amount of polish can make up for a game deviating from what made it so unique and engaging for me in the first place. Same goes with the Resident Evil series, most people love RE 4, but to me the series stopped at 2, only 3 being halfway decent. Hell, i'd put Code Veronica over 4,5 and 6 simply because it kept alot of the core elements from the original game. RE to me is a perfect example of a series going sour after being milked for too long.

Doesn't really matter what their expectations were really. Resistance 3 was a great game, but the series got shitcanned due to the abysmal sales and I really don't blame Sony. If there isn't an exponential growth rate in the sales of a series then there's little initiative to keep making them. If a game fails to match or surpass the sales of the previous game, especially when the previous game didn't exactly do Halo/COD numbers then that's a cause for concern.
Even though the action was clearly taking over, i still thought most of the series (from what i've played) had a good amount of scares, 2 nearly scared me shitless a few times. Also 3 apparently had a number of stuff cut because of budget, which may mean the final product isn't anywhere near the original vision. Maybe EA saw the signs and didn't want to take unnecessary risks on the game anymore, and just decided on taking what they could for the game when it shipped. As for your previous sales comment, most games not named Halo/COD start doing poor numbers after the first sequel, but then bounce back after a few months/year or so, EA barely gave Dead Space 3 a chance, because they most likely knew what was coming during development.
__________________
My Deviant Art, Check it

Scooty Puff Jr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ayatollah of Moral turpitude
 
blarg_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: My giant Igloo with built-in Wi-Fi
Posts: 3,672
blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_
Default Re: Breaking: Dead Space Cancelled Following Poor Sales From Third Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic View Post
Even though the action was clearly taking over, i still thought most of the series (from what i've played) had a good amount of scares, 2 nearly scared me shitless a few times. Also 3 apparently had a number of stuff cut because of budget, which may mean the final product isn't anywhere near the original vision. Maybe EA saw the signs and didn't want to take unnecessary risks on the game anymore, and just decided on taking what they could for the game when it shipped. As for your previous sales comment, most games not named Halo/COD start doing poor numbers after the first sequel, but then bounce back after a few months/year or so, EA barely gave Dead Space 3 a chance, because they most likely knew what was coming during development.
To me, there's only one part in Dead Space 2 that gave me the legit scare of my life, and it's early on in the game when you go through a tunnel pathway and the lighting changes to reveal Aliens lurking in the corners. Holy shit did the sound of that come right out in left field. lol

Dead Space 1 remains my favorite by far, it had that Amnesia: The Dark Descent type of psychological approach, only much more action paced. To me, Dead Space 1 is the epitome of Sci Fi Horror while the sequels was EA trying to make the game more accessible to everyone. It both succeeded in expanding the scope of the game and polishing it, but failed to capture the feel of the original. Guess you have to compromise sometimes.

There's no need to be taking risks with more sequels when the previous game wasn't well received. Sometimes it's a matter of launching at the wrong time, in that case it may amass sales later in its lifecycle. One thing that always puzzled me is how Sony is intent to present Littlebigplanet as a flagship game when both games and it's spin-offs didn't sell that well for the way it was hyped. This coming from a HUGE fan of the series. I fully expected Sony to drop that project a while ago.
__________________
blarg_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Believe in Seth Rollins
 
Sith Rollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 17,439
Sith Rollins has made a name for themselvesSith Rollins has made a name for themselvesSith Rollins has made a name for themselvesSith Rollins has made a name for themselvesSith Rollins has made a name for themselvesSith Rollins has made a name for themselvesSith Rollins has made a name for themselvesSith Rollins has made a name for themselvesSith Rollins has made a name for themselvesSith Rollins has made a name for themselvesSith Rollins has made a name for themselves
Default Re: Breaking: Dead Space Cancelled Following Poor Sales From Third Game?

Spoiler for :


I feel sad,angry and pissed. I just started the series late last year and turned into a huge Dead Space fan. Sucks there wont be a 4th game but in some ways thats alright. So many games just keep going on and on and never seem to end. Would live to see a movie down the line though.
__________________

Sig by ChampviaDQ aka Da Graphics GAWD
Sith Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lacing SCOTT STEINER's boots
 
Karma101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,451
Karma101 better hope they're relatively new hereKarma101 better hope they're relatively new hereKarma101 better hope they're relatively new hereKarma101 better hope they're relatively new hereKarma101 better hope they're relatively new hereKarma101 better hope they're relatively new hereKarma101 better hope they're relatively new hereKarma101 better hope they're relatively new hereKarma101 better hope they're relatively new hereKarma101 better hope they're relatively new hereKarma101 better hope they're relatively new here
Default Re: Breaking: Dead Space Cancelled Following Poor Sales From Third Game?

Well anymore than three games and people start to call a franchise 'milked' so who really cares?
Karma101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Riot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,578
Riot is getting a pushRiot is getting a pushRiot is getting a pushRiot is getting a pushRiot is getting a pushRiot is getting a pushRiot is getting a pushRiot is getting a pushRiot is getting a pushRiot is getting a pushRiot is getting a push
Default Re: Breaking: Dead Space Cancelled Following Poor Sales From Third Game?

I was waiting for a Dead Space Collections game to be release. Now I guess I have to go buy all 3 games separately.
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios