Largest arms in the world, BROTHER!
Join Date: Dec 2004
Re: Official TNA DVD Help/Discussion/Review Thread
OK, here's the final part of my "Top Ten for each year" listings.
Year 7 = Post Slammy 08-Slammiversary 2009
Following TNA's 6th anniversary, a long running storyline began which pitted the old veterans against the young stars of TNA, which eventually resulted in the creating of the Main Event Mafia. This new faction would dominate TNA storylines all the way until Bound for Glory 2009, so its safe to say TNA got a lot of mileage out of this angle (whether or not that is good or bad, I'll leave up to you).
1) Jeff Jarrett vs. Kurt Angle: No Disqualifications (Genesis 2009) = Easily one of the most intense grudge matches in TNA history. It was a perfect blend of wrestling & good old fashioned brawling. I would go as far to say that its the best match in TNA for both men, and that's saying a lot.
2) Abyss vs. Kurt Angle: Falls Count Anywhere (Turning Point 2008) = This was one that kind of caught me by surprise, but ended up being one of my favorite matches of 2008 period. It was a perfectly booked hardcore match where both men came off looking stronger because of it.
3) Alex Shelley vs. Chris Sabin: X Division Championship Tournament Finals (Genesis 2009) = The X Division had experienced a bit of a lull going into this match, but The Machine Guns went out there and had a 1 on 1 match that seemed to remind people of how great the X Division can be.
4) AJ Styles vs. Kurt Angle: Last Man Standing Match (Hard Justice 2008) = Up to this point, this was the best match AJ & Angle had with each other. It was a brutal affair with some of the hard falls they took, and it was just an exciting contest from bell to bell.
5) AJ Styles, Christian Cage, & Rhino vs. Kurt Angle & Team 3D: Full Metal Mayhem Match (Victory Road 2008) = And often overlooked match, this wild hardcore battle captured the best elements of all six men and featured some pretty awesome daredevil moves.
6) Kurt Angle vs. Jeff Jarrett (Bound for Glory 2008) = Jeff Jarrett's return to the ring was a successful one in this emotionally charged & action packed match up.
7) Samoa Joe (c) vs. Sting: TNA World Championship (Bound for Glory 2008) = The main event to TNA's biggest PPV was a wild affair that featured a great effort by both men in a match where they both pulled a few unexpected tricks out of their sleeves.
8) Team USA vs. Team Japan vs. Team Mexico vs. Team International: World X Cup Tag Team Elimination Match (Victory Road 2008) = The World X Cup was a big highlight of TNA for 2008, and the stars of the X Division truly shined in this awesome match up.
9) Alex Shelley (c) vs. Suicide vs. Chris Sabin vs. Jay Lethal vs. Consequences Creed: X Division Championship Ultimate X Match (Destination X 2009) = You had to know the Ultimate X was going to make the list again. This time, this match seemed to serve as a vehicle to push the Suicide character, and for a short time, the gimmick seemed to work quite well in the usual excitement that the Ultimate X brings.
10) Mick Foley (c) vs. AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe vs. Kurt Angle vs. Jeff Jarrett: TNA World Championship King of the Mountain Match (Slammiversary 2009) = The shocking ending of Joe turning on the originals to put the belt back in the camp of The Mafia was shocking, this match was also a very unique mixing of all different kinds of talent and came across very well in a very entertaining way.
Year 8 = Post Slammy 09-Present
Its kind of tough making a Top Ten for Year 8 because technically, the year isn't over yet. I guess we'll call this "The Top Ten of Year 8, so far". Between Slammy 09 & Bound for Glory 09, we got the final stages of the Main Event Mafia storyline. AJ Styles became World Heavyweight Champion, a reign that would be the 2nd longest world title reign in company history until it was recently ended. This biggest stories of this year so far have been the additions of Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Eric Bichoff, Jeff Hardy, current TNA World Champion Rob Van Dam & of course TNA's big move to Monday Nights.
1) AJ Styles (c) vs. Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels: TNA World Championship (Turning Point 2009) = Its always hard to top the original, but this 3 way match for the World Title came about as close as possible to matching the excellence of their original encounter from back in 2005. Truly an amazing match.
2) AJ Styles (c) vs. Kurt Angle: TNA World Championship (January 4th 2010 Monday Night Impact) = TNA's very first live Monday Night show was capped off with one fantastic match between what were being billed as the two greatest wrestlers in TNA. This was a phemomenal effort by both men.
3) Kurt Angle vs. Mr. Anderson: Steel Cage Match (Lockdown 2010) = TNA's longest & most intense feud of 2010 featured these two, and it ended with what has to be considered one of the best cage matches in company history. It was an amazing & exciting match.
4) Kurt Angle vs. Desmond Wolfe (Turning Point 2009) = Coming to TNA as a newcomer, Desmond made an immediate splash by going after Kurt Angle. What resulted was one hell of a wrestling clinic that under normal circumstances would have been a showstealer had it not been for the strong main event that followed.
5) AJ Styles vs. Kurt Angle (Super Impact 2009) = There was yet another strong TV match between these two. On the Impact before Bound for Glory (a 3 Hour event called Super Impact) AJ Styles & Kurt Angle tore the house down in an amazing match that was merely a preview for what would lead to months of build up for a rematch.
6) Kurt Angle vs. Desmond Wolfe: 3 Degrees of Pain Match (Final Resolution 2009) = This violent rivalry ended in what turned out to be the final Six Sides of Steel match in TNA history. The 2 Out of 3 Falls stipulation allowed for a variety of styles & strategy to come into play in this excellent encounter.
7) Kurt Angle vs. Matt Morgan (Bound for Glory 2009) = A proving ground for The Blueprint, this semi main event match showed off both men in a great way, resulting in one hell of a match up.
8) Amazing Red (c) vs. Christopher Daniels vs. Suicide vs. Homicide vs. Alex Shelley vs. Chris Sabin: X Division Championship Ultimate X Match (Bound for Glory 2009)
9) Jeff Hardy & Rob Van Dam vs. Beer Money Inc (Impact 2010) = On a live edition of Impact, these two teams closed out the show with definitely the best TNA tag match I've seen in 2010. Having Hardy & RVD involved made it feel big time, and letting Beer Money just do there thing let the match become tag team bliss.
10) Motor City Machine Guns vs. Generation Me: Ultimate X Match (Destination X 2010) = On a PPV that was designed to showcase the X Division, it was these two teams that stole the show in an Ultimate X match that managed to be unique among the rest given its usage of exciting tag team wrestling along with the daredevil nature of the match.