Re: Official TNA DVD Help/Discussion/Review Thread
Turning point (2005)
1.) Barbed Wire Massacre – Sabu vs. Abyss - ****
OMG! this match was just beyond brutal! Rarely do matches make me cringe like this one, and every time they even hinted at going into the barbwire I was like OH SHIT! lol. Incredibly violent hardcore brilliance from both men. They just both took an absolute beating in this. The finish with Sabu doing a leg drop onto Abyss while sandwiched in between 2 barb wire tables was unreal! Great crowd as they showed their respect to both with "Thank you" chants.
2.) Bentley/Aries vs. Shelley/Strong - ***
Really good showing as I expected from all 4. The finish was a bit week but good action throughout.
3.) Raven vs Chris K (Kanyon) - **
Not a bad match just too short. Nice to see Kanyon again.
4.) Team Canada vs. The 4Live Kru - *1/2
Bah I'm about fed up with 3/4live Kru and TC matches, but not entirely terrible. The Shoe throwing by Konnan was so stupid yet funny at the same time. A nice swerve there at the end that caught everyone by surprise.
5.) Diamond/Skipper/Young vs Dutt/Sabin/Torborg - **
Match wise this wasn't very great but there was some great athletesism showcased. It got pretty silly with the use of the home plate but it was an entertaining eventful match. Great to see Bobby the Brain doing commentary I definitely marked for that.
6.)#1 Contenders match - Monty Brown vs Christian Cage - ***1/4
Really good contest here. This was Cage's ppv debut and he showed only a glimpse of what he's able to do in the ring. Good stuff.
7.) Tables match - Team3d vs AMW - ***
Good brawl from both teams. The tables were used very effectively during the match, kinda sucks how Storm was hurt after the death sentence, if it wasn't for that I'm not too sure Team3d would have won 2-0 like that.
8.) X title – AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe - *****
God damn what a match this was. Definitely topped the sacrifice one big time and that's saying a lot. Joe just completely destroys AJ with stiff kick after stiff kick, but Aj tried his damndest to use his speed and agility to combat the overpowering Joe. Such emotion in this, you could feel the hatred seeping out of each man as the match wore on. This was the true sense of a Battle in every which way possible. Incredible stuff, I'd rank it just below the Unbreakable match.
9.) NWA title - Jarrett vs Rhino - ***3/4
I expected the usual overbooked Jarrett main event, and that's what I got, but with the chaotic nature of the match, the run-ins and ref bumps actually helped in my enjoyment of this. They brawled on the outside and even onto the scaffolding where Rhino took a plunge onto a table! Also this features an Awesome Gore! Gore! Gore! through the entrance ramp as Jarrett was propped up on yet another table. Holy shit moment right there. Great Main event.
Overall: WOW! What a ppv. Top to bottom really solid wrestling and of course one of TNA's greatest matches ever in Joe/Styles. I'd rank it just and I mean just below No Surrender and Sacrifice 05.
Last edited by - Styles -; 07-01-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Re: Official TNA DVD Help/Discussion/Review Thread
Here's how I'd rank the 2006 PPVs:
I can honestly say I loved almost every PPV in 2006. IMO, there was only one real downer and everything else was pretty damn good.
1) Slammiversary - Awesome mix of young and old talent. Joe vs. Steiner had a big main event feel, and other matches like Team 3D/James Gang, X Division Rankings, Nash/Sabin, & as always KOTM delivered. AMW vs. AJ/Daniels was my pick for 2006 Match of the Year from TNA. Very underrated PPV IMO. TNA had a lot of great angles going on at the time, and everything on this show just clicked. I especially loved the ending.
2) Bound for Glory - This show just felt important. Of course it was the first PPV held outside of Orlando which just gave it a big time feel. The matches were mostly excellent with AJ/Daniels vs. LAX in a Cage & Sabin vs. Senshi being the two real standouts. Cage/Rhino, Monster's Ball, X Gauntlet, & even Young/Zbysko delivered in one way or another, while Sting vs. Jarrett was a great old school kind of match with a definate "Good vs. Evil" feel to it. We also got an Angle/Joe brawl which was fun.
3) Genesis - This was the card of dream matches for me. Joe vs. Angle, AJ vs. Christian, Sting vs. Abyss, & AMW vs. LAX, with a great X Title match with Daniels/Sabin thrown in. This show was just great. All of the above matches delivered, and I marked out huge when Abyss won the title as that was something I wanted for a long time. AJ vs. Christian was a sensational match, my pick ofr MOTN, and Joe vs. Angle was a worthy main event. I know people complained it was too short, but I enjoyed the match a lot.
4) Lockdown - Definately my favorite Lockdown. The undercard was pretty much all X Division with a World X Cup preview, Sabu vs. Joe for the X Title, Daniels vs. Senshi, & an Xscape Match. Team 3D vs. Team Canada was very entertaining as well. The two main events were what made this show though. Christian vs. Abyss is easily one of my favorite World Title matches & cage matches in recent years and Lethal Lockdown was AWESOME. The 2005 LL Match sucked, but this one really captured the feel of an old school War Games Match while also putting a different spin on it. AJ's big ladder spot was very cool.
5) Sacrifice - I think Lockdown-Slammiversary is my favorite string of TNA PPVs ever. This show was great. Rhino/Roode, Raven/A-1, James Gang/Team 3D were solid. Christian vs. Abyss in Full Metal Mayhem was really good, and so was the World X Cup Gauntlet, which served as a good started for the "Nash vs. The X Division" angle that I loved. Liger vs. Petey was a very good opener, and Joe/Sting vs. Jarrett/Steiner was an awesome semi main event, and a really big match for Joe. But my favorite match was definately AJ/Daniels vs. AMW for the tag titles which was an amazing match. AJ/Daniels & AMW delivered some of the best tag matches I've seen this decade.
6) Against All Odds - Lots of great things on this one. The main reason to check this show out is the Christian vs. Jarrett main event which is easily one of the greatest main events in TNA history and a big moment as Christian got the big win. AJ vs. Daniels vs. Joe, while not as good as the Unbreakable match, is still a very good match in their series. Rhino vs. Abyss is one of the best hardcore matches TNA has ever put on. There were some really good tag matches too like Nats vs. Aries/Strong, AMW vs. Sabin/Dutt, & Team 3D vs. Team Canada.
7) Turning Point - Only problem with this show is some questionable non wrestling segments. The EY/Brooks bikini contest was funny as hell, but did it need to be on PPV? And the VKM segment just sucked. Match wise though, this PPV was great. There was the X Division Match for the PCS which was alot of fun. LAX vs. AMW in a Flag Match was also pretty good, and AJ vs. Rhino was a nice clash of styles (pardon the pun) Daniels put on another very good X Title match with Sabin. Sting vs. Abyss vs. Christian was ok, but was blown away by the Angle vs. Joe rematch that surpassed the first and IMO stands as the best match in the Angle/Joe series and one of the best matches of 2006 for TNA.
8) No Surrender - I hate to say it, but the X Division was the only part of the show that was bad (remember the Jackass crap?) and that kind of ruined Senshi vs. Sabin & Petey vs. Lethal. But everything else was fine, with the announcement of Kurt Angle coming to TNA being a HUGE moment and an awesome way to close the show. AJ/Daniels vs. LAX in Ultimate X was amazing and one of the best Ultimate X Matches ever without question. Christian vs. Rhino was a great match too, and Joe vs. Jarrett in Fan's Revenge was a very entertaining match up. The Tag Team Battle Royal was pretty damn good too, and Abyss vs. Raven vs. Runt was a really good hardcore match that could have served as The Monster's Ball for Bound for Glory if they wanted it to.
8) Final Resolution - This felt huge because of Sting's return to TNA which really made this PPV worth it. The Sting/Christian vs. Monty/Jarrett main event was my favorite match on the card for that reason. Joe vs. Daniels was really good, as were Abyss vs. Rhino, AMW vs. Team 3D, Raven vs. Waltman in Raven's Rules, & AJ vs. Tanahashi. Some of the finishes were a little odd (AMW vs. Team 3D especially) but overall this was a really solid PPV capped off by a strong main event and a special moment for TNA.
10) Destination X - Unfortunately the AJ/Daniels/Joe Ultimate X Match didn't deliver as well as people had hoped, but that doesn't mean it wasn't good, and the same goes for the show as a whole. I liked the Monty/Christian main event, and the Eight Man War of Jarrett/Abyss/AMW vs. Rhino/Team 3D/Truth was AWESOME. Very chaotic match. There were some other good matches like Shelley vs. Lethal, Sabin vs. Petey vs. Puma vs. Sonjay, & Team Canada vs. The Nats. The main thing I loved about this show was the whol deal with Steve Borden (Sting) coming back to get revenge on Jarrett, only to get tricked as Scott Steiner made his TNA debut to take him down. That was very well done, and you had some good comedy skits with Young & Shelley looking for Sting during the PPV.
11) Hard Justcie - Should have been one of the best PPVs of the year. Unfortunately it will be remembered as the show that had to be stopped because of a fire that broke out in the Impact Zone during the opening match of Eric Young vs. Johnny Devine (the chant of "The Roof is On Fire" is one of the funniest things I've ever heard though) But, TNA was still able to put on a damn good show. Only one match was lost (a promising four way of AMW, Nats, James Gang, & Bentley/Kaz) and most of the other matches delivered (Senshi vs. Lethal vs. Petey, AJ/Daniels vs. LAX, Sting vs. Jarrett, Abyss vs. Runt, & my personal favorite Joe vs. Monty vs. Rhino which was a great hardcore match) Another problem I had with the show was Nash having to pull out of his match with Sabin which unfortunately cut that angle short (to be honest, it was the best thing TNA had going at the time) But the fire and Nash were out of TNA's control, and they did a really good job under the circumstances.
12) Victory Road - There are some good matches here and there, but the show just felt like Slammiversary Part II and nothing was as good (AJ/Daniels/Sirelda vs. AMW/Gail Kim, Nash/Shelley vs. Sonjay/Sabin, Team 3D vs. James Gang/Abyss, and Joe/Steiner/Sting/Christian) Throw that in with a disappointing Senshi/Kaz match, and the fact that TNA was not 100% clear beforehand on whether or not the title match won in the four way would occur at the show itself or at Hard Justice. This show just screamed filler PPV, and it wasn't a very good one.
Top Five PPV Matches of 2006:
1) AJ/Daniels vs. AMW: Slammiversary
2) Samoa Joe vs. Kurt Angle: Turning Point
3) Christian Cage vs. Abyss: Lockdown
4) Jeff Jarrett vs. Christian Cage: Against All Odds
5) AJ Styles vs. Christian Cage: Genesis
WEEKDAY WARRIORS OF WRESTLING NEW WEBSITE