Windows 7 vs. Windows 8 - Page 3 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
X3iE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Re: Windows 7 vs. Windows 8

We bought a PC with Windows 8, about three months ago, it was released in October 2012.

So far... I have nothing but good things to say about Windows 8. It has a store app on the main screen... where you can download a lot of free aps, ranging from news, entertainment, etc. You can easily move the newly installed apps around on the main screen.

Also, there's a desktop app to click on, which takes you to your icons and wallpaper, just like Windows 7 and XP that you're already used to.

All in all, Windows 8 is great. I wouldn't want to go back to XP or Windows 7.

X3iE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 PM
Lacing SCOTT STEINER's boots
 
TasteOfVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: Windows 7 vs. Windows 8

I prefer personally windows 8.
TasteOfVenom is offline  
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
                     
Re: Windows 7 vs. Windows 8

I didn't care for Windows 8 when I trialed it, but when it went on sale so cheap I decided to download a copy for keeps. I've been using it ever since on my laptop and can say I wouldn't want to switch back to 7. I'm really, really liking the security features, faster performance, stronger multiple monitor support, the less fussy styling outside of the start screen and even the much-maligned start screen itself. I've been won over. I even prefer it to OS X now (which runs on my desktop). The only drawback I've encountered has been getting to easily distracted by all the integrated social features and other time wasters.
GothicBohemian is offline  
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 11:06 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: Windows 7 vs. Windows 8

A general rule of thumb I like to follow is wait a few years. The latest and "greatest" aint always so great. UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, new to Win 8) which replaces BIOS seems like more trouble than it's worth, due in part because of its reliance on certificate authorities (It also breaks dual boots, unless you have a workaround). Apparently MS hasn't learned that CA's are not all that secure. Also, UEFI is bloated as fuck as it offers a shit ton of functionality, which could just lead to even more vulnerabilities. It just seems like another way to get the world singing MS's song. You can disable it, but still..
Other than that, I don't really have an opinion. Some friends say performance differences can't really be felt but it does appear to handle memory more efficiently.
But I say if it aint broke, don't fix it. You can always upgrade later on. And chances are, time will allow some of the glaring bugs to be ironed out, fixes to surface, etc.
Svart is offline  
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Lacing SCOTT STEINER's boots
 
TasteOfVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: Windows 7 vs. Windows 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svart View Post
A general rule of thumb I like to follow is wait a few years. The latest and "greatest" aint always so great. UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, new to Win 8) which replaces BIOS seems like more trouble than it's worth, due in part because of its reliance on certificate authorities (It also breaks dual boots, unless you have a workaround). Apparently MS hasn't learned that CA's are not all that secure. Also, UEFI is bloated as fuck as it offers a shit ton of functionality, which could just lead to even more vulnerabilities. It just seems like another way to get the world singing MS's song. You can disable it, but still..
Other than that, I don't really have an opinion. Some friends say performance differences can't really be felt but it does appear to handle memory more efficiently.
But I say if it aint broke, don't fix it. You can always upgrade later on. And chances are, time will allow some of the glaring bugs to be ironed out, fixes to surface, etc.
I haven't experienced any bugs and it already runs a whole lot smoother in it's early stages than Vista did.
TasteOfVenom is offline  
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:46 PM
Learning to break kayfabe
 
MAJABA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Re: Windows 7 vs. Windows 8

I prefer personally windows 7.
MAJABA is offline  
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: Windows 7 vs. Windows 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteOfVenom View Post
I haven't experienced any bugs and it already runs a whole lot smoother in it's early stages than Vista did.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygree...rity-measures/

There are also reports of UEFI bricking certain Samsung machines that attempt dual booting.
Svart is offline  
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 AM
Stealing the Show
 
Ziggler Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 7,429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: Windows 7 vs. Windows 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svart View Post
http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygree...rity-measures/

There are also reports of UEFI bricking certain Samsung machines that attempt dual booting.
sounds like that's a samsung problem...and hackers getting through windows security measures is an accomplishment that's news-worthy these days? It's kind of assumed that no mater how new the OS, windows' shit will be exploited in a matter of weeks/months.
Ziggler Mark is offline  
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 07:06 AM
Humbled
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: Windows 7 vs. Windows 8

Windows 8 fucking sucks. I'm sticking with 7
HEELKris is offline  
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: Windows 7 vs. Windows 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggler Mark View Post
sounds like that's a samsung problem...and hackers getting through windows security measures is an accomplishment that's news-worthy these days? It's kind of assumed that no mater how new the OS, windows' shit will be exploited in a matter of weeks/months.
MS getting pwned isn't surprising in itself. How fast these (seemingly) useful features were compromised is. We also don't know how deep the hole goes.

Last edited by Svart; 02-01-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Svart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome