NATE > Knicks - Page 455 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #4541 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Real Deal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 674
Real Deal Real Deal Real Deal Real Deal Real Deal Real Deal Real Deal Real Deal Real Deal
Default Re: Ain't no shame in my game #Barkley

Thanks for all of the positive comments on that write-up. You guys have no idea how much anger I had built up midway through it, lol. What a frustrating season so far.

Regarding Rajon Rondo in Boston...I can't call him a bad defensive player...he's still very good, but he's definitely not as aggressive as he should be, and this became evident when he WAS aggressive in that Game 2 or 3 against Miami last season, when he dropped 44/8/10.

It doesn't happen often at all, though, and that's one of Rondo's biggest faults. I don't look for another 40/8/10 game from him, because those are pretty rare for a point guard...but Rondo's lack of aggression makes it easier to defend Pierce and Garnett in nearly the same exact way Nash's passive play does (although, Nash is nowhere near Rondo now, it still applies because he's still 10 times the shooter).

I watch every game I can, work from home (computer tech and web designer) so I can go through previous games I DVR'ed from League Pass. I'm more of a basketball fan than a Lakers fan...always been that way, so I get to see a lot of these guys, including Boston (who, of course, I see as an enemy, haha).

When I watch the Celtics, I see a grind-it-out team that relies far too much on their defense. This doesn't sound like it's a problem, but when you are a horrible three-point shooting team, and you can't grab o-boards (and aren't that great at rebounding, in general), AND you are efficient, you have to start putting the ball in the hoop more frequently.

Pierce and Garnett aren't going to get to the line as much anymore (Pierce was getting there as much as LeBron about 7-8 years ago, but KG never did get to the line like a superstar should because he's fallen in love with jumpshots most of his career). THAT'S where Rondo steps into that role, to draw fouls driving to the rim, to put teams into foul trouble. He doesn't hit them high enough really wreck a team like Kobe could, but getting opponents in the penalty makes it easy for this top 10 free throw shooting team (percentage-wise) to get to the charity stripe more often.

So, what you have in Boston is a team that shoots mid-range and at the rim well, but gives you little to stretch the court with (Pierce and Terry put up nine threes a night together, but at 35-36% total, which isn't outstanding...teams can live with that). They overpass on some possessions. They don't crash the glass well, especially on offense (and that's tough, if you're taking mid-range jumpers all the time). They don't get to the free throw line much. It's easy to explain why they have trouble scoring.

Defensively, they may be ranked top ten in the league, but it's not that simple. A lot of that is because they force teams to play slower...but their shot defense is still average (both inside and outside of the three), and their defensive rebounding is still bottom half in the NBA, I believe.

It would help to have younger players that contribute. However, I agree with parts of your assessment with Rondo not being aggressive enough. Unfortunately, Rondo has been bred to be a pass-first player that relies on what were three other all-star players to do the scoring, and it may take a complete collapse from Pierce and Garnett for him to finally realize he has to change his focus.

Much like Rajon Rondo, I feel that John Wall will have the same problem. For an elite perimeter defender (Kobe, for example), guys like Rondo, Wall, and Westbrook become easier to defend when they aren't catching fire on their jumpers...and because they aren't great shooters, sometimes hesitant (aside from Westbrook, who thinks he's Durant every now and then), it really puts a cap on what that player can do.

If Rondo ever develops a clean jumpshot, the league is in trouble. People always criticized Jason Kidd for his percentages, but he wasn't that bad of a three-point shooter, and even though he was no Korver, Novak or Nash, he still attempted plenty of them JUST to keep the defense on their toes. It's similar to why Bryant and other elite scorers would continue to shoot, despite a bad night here or there, because if you don't maintain primacy, the defense doesn't have a reason to crowd you, and you struggle to attract defensive attention...which, as a star player, makes you who you are in this league today.
__________________

DISCUSSHOOPS.COM
Real Deal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #4542 (permalink)
Buried SCOTT STEINER
 
Arcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 5,343
Arcade better hope they're relatively new hereArcade better hope they're relatively new hereArcade better hope they're relatively new hereArcade better hope they're relatively new hereArcade better hope they're relatively new hereArcade better hope they're relatively new hereArcade better hope they're relatively new hereArcade better hope they're relatively new hereArcade better hope they're relatively new hereArcade better hope they're relatively new hereArcade better hope they're relatively new here
Default

Another week without the "NBA Thread" in the title.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/3Apdo.jpg
Arcade is online now  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:47 AM   #4543 (permalink)
Zen
Self-Improvement Is Masturbation.
 
Zen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Estádio do Maracanã
Posts: 18,492
Zen is a rep whoreZen is a rep whoreZen is a rep whoreZen is a rep whoreZen is a rep whoreZen is a rep whoreZen is a rep whoreZen is a rep whoreZen is a rep whoreZen is a rep whoreZen is a rep whore
Default Re: Ain't no shame in my game #Barkley

Idk why people must have NBA thread in the title, do they not know which thread is NBA or something
__________________
Zen is offline  
Old 01-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #4544 (permalink)
Moron
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: “We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.”
Posts: 5,127
Coffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a push
Default Re: Ain't no shame in my game #Barkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterizer View Post
Idk why people must have NBA thread in the title, do they not know which thread is NBA or something
It's just silly. You can't change the thread title but have each one start with [NBA]

[NBA] Ain't no shame in my game #Barkley

It doesn't hurt anything & avoid any confusion.
Coffey is offline  
Old 01-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #4545 (permalink)
The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball
 
Duplicitous Dub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 13,085
Duplicitous Dub has made a name for themselvesDuplicitous Dub has made a name for themselvesDuplicitous Dub has made a name for themselvesDuplicitous Dub has made a name for themselvesDuplicitous Dub has made a name for themselvesDuplicitous Dub has made a name for themselvesDuplicitous Dub has made a name for themselvesDuplicitous Dub has made a name for themselvesDuplicitous Dub has made a name for themselvesDuplicitous Dub has made a name for themselvesDuplicitous Dub has made a name for themselves
Default Re: Ain't no shame in my game #Barkley

Its really not hard to tell which thread is which.
__________________
Duplicitous Dub is offline  
Old 01-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #4546 (permalink)
CENATION.
 
Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 11,712
Parker is getting a pushParker is getting a pushParker is getting a pushParker is getting a pushParker is getting a pushParker is getting a pushParker is getting a pushParker is getting a pushParker is getting a pushParker is getting a pushParker is getting a push
Default Re: Ain't no shame in my game #Barkley

I completely scrolled past this thread because I was hoping to see 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand houston is plummeting'. but I only noticed this thread because it said Barkley
__________________

Cena | Cesaro | Lesnar

Cena fan since day 1
Parker is offline  
Old 01-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #4547 (permalink)
JM
#Realtalk

 
JM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 26,077
JM is a HOF inducteeJM is a HOF inducteeJM is a HOF inducteeJM is a HOF inducteeJM is a HOF inducteeJM is a HOF inducteeJM is a HOF inducteeJM is a HOF inducteeJM is a HOF inducteeJM is a HOF inducteeJM is a HOF inductee
Default

Lulz some people are so fickle. The NBA part is redundant and if the thread titles make you keep looking down the page then you don't watch enough basketball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk-In View Post
[NBA] Ain't no shame in my game #Barkley

It doesn't hurt anything & avoid any confusion.
I'm hurt just looking at that atrocity.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using VerticalSports.Com App
__________________
#Realtalk


^CHAMPviaDQ^

Maple Leafs - Raptors - Steelers - Blue Jays - Florida State
JM is offline  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #4548 (permalink)
Holdin' it Dine for the South since 88
 
Notorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 21,169
Notorious is making a name for themselvesNotorious is making a name for themselvesNotorious is making a name for themselvesNotorious is making a name for themselvesNotorious is making a name for themselvesNotorious is making a name for themselvesNotorious is making a name for themselvesNotorious is making a name for themselvesNotorious is making a name for themselvesNotorious is making a name for themselvesNotorious is making a name for themselves
Default Re: Ain't no shame in my game #Barkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Deal View Post
Thanks for all of the positive comments on that write-up. You guys have no idea how much anger I had built up midway through it, lol. What a frustrating season so far.

Regarding Rajon Rondo in Boston...I can't call him a bad defensive player...he's still very good, but he's definitely not as aggressive as he should be, and this became evident when he WAS aggressive in that Game 2 or 3 against Miami last season, when he dropped 44/8/10.

It doesn't happen often at all, though, and that's one of Rondo's biggest faults. I don't look for another 40/8/10 game from him, because those are pretty rare for a point guard...but Rondo's lack of aggression makes it easier to defend Pierce and Garnett in nearly the same exact way Nash's passive play does (although, Nash is nowhere near Rondo now, it still applies because he's still 10 times the shooter).

I watch every game I can, work from home (computer tech and web designer) so I can go through previous games I DVR'ed from League Pass. I'm more of a basketball fan than a Lakers fan...always been that way, so I get to see a lot of these guys, including Boston (who, of course, I see as an enemy, haha).

When I watch the Celtics, I see a grind-it-out team that relies far too much on their defense. This doesn't sound like it's a problem, but when you are a horrible three-point shooting team, and you can't grab o-boards (and aren't that great at rebounding, in general), AND you are efficient, you have to start putting the ball in the hoop more frequently.

Pierce and Garnett aren't going to get to the line as much anymore (Pierce was getting there as much as LeBron about 7-8 years ago, but KG never did get to the line like a superstar should because he's fallen in love with jumpshots most of his career). THAT'S where Rondo steps into that role, to draw fouls driving to the rim, to put teams into foul trouble. He doesn't hit them high enough really wreck a team like Kobe could, but getting opponents in the penalty makes it easy for this top 10 free throw shooting team (percentage-wise) to get to the charity stripe more often.

So, what you have in Boston is a team that shoots mid-range and at the rim well, but gives you little to stretch the court with (Pierce and Terry put up nine threes a night together, but at 35-36% total, which isn't outstanding...teams can live with that). They overpass on some possessions. They don't crash the glass well, especially on offense (and that's tough, if you're taking mid-range jumpers all the time). They don't get to the free throw line much. It's easy to explain why they have trouble scoring.

Defensively, they may be ranked top ten in the league, but it's not that simple. A lot of that is because they force teams to play slower...but their shot defense is still average (both inside and outside of the three), and their defensive rebounding is still bottom half in the NBA, I believe.

It would help to have younger players that contribute. However, I agree with parts of your assessment with Rondo not being aggressive enough. Unfortunately, Rondo has been bred to be a pass-first player that relies on what were three other all-star players to do the scoring, and it may take a complete collapse from Pierce and Garnett for him to finally realize he has to change his focus.

Much like Rajon Rondo, I feel that John Wall will have the same problem. For an elite perimeter defender (Kobe, for example), guys like Rondo, Wall, and Westbrook become easier to defend when they aren't catching fire on their jumpers...and because they aren't great shooters, sometimes hesitant (aside from Westbrook, who thinks he's Durant every now and then), it really puts a cap on what that player can do.

If Rondo ever develops a clean jumpshot, the league is in trouble. People always criticized Jason Kidd for his percentages, but he wasn't that bad of a three-point shooter, and even though he was no Korver, Novak or Nash, he still attempted plenty of them JUST to keep the defense on their toes. It's similar to why Bryant and other elite scorers would continue to shoot, despite a bad night here or there, because if you don't maintain primacy, the defense doesn't have a reason to crowd you, and you struggle to attract defensive attention...which, as a star player, makes you who you are in this league today.
I agree 100% with your assessment on Rondo and the Celtics as a whole. It's pretty much spot-on. I would also add that Doc Rivers is part of the problem as well. I believe Danny Ainge made a monumental mistake by keeping Doc instead of hiring Tom Thibodeau.


Anyway, apparently the Celtics are very interested in acquiring J.J. Redick. I'd love to have him here but I'm not seeing how we'll acquire him. Don't see us having anything that Orlando would want and that would be reasonable for Redick. Unless Danny is stupid enough to trade Bradley for him.
__________________
Notorious is offline  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #4549 (permalink)
FREE WIGGINS
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 70 days
Posts: 18,866
LUCK made the HOF BallotLUCK made the HOF BallotLUCK made the HOF BallotLUCK made the HOF BallotLUCK made the HOF BallotLUCK made the HOF BallotLUCK made the HOF BallotLUCK made the HOF BallotLUCK made the HOF BallotLUCK made the HOF BallotLUCK made the HOF Ballot
Default Re: Ain't no shame in my game #Barkley

pretty sure the hashtags give away the thread title every time. no idea how anyone is confused. #COUNTONKOBE
__________________


LUCK is offline  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #4550 (permalink)
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,246
BrosOfDestruction is making a name for themselvesBrosOfDestruction is making a name for themselvesBrosOfDestruction is making a name for themselvesBrosOfDestruction is making a name for themselvesBrosOfDestruction is making a name for themselvesBrosOfDestruction is making a name for themselvesBrosOfDestruction is making a name for themselvesBrosOfDestruction is making a name for themselvesBrosOfDestruction is making a name for themselvesBrosOfDestruction is making a name for themselvesBrosOfDestruction is making a name for themselves
Default Re: Ain't no shame in my game #Barkley

Everybody knows Barkley is a world class golfer.
BrosOfDestruction is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios