2012-13 English Premier League/Cups Thread (Sometimes being BRAVE is not enough) - Page 203 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2021 of 8216 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 12:43 PM
________________
 
Anark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
                     
Re: 2012-13 English Premier League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th-Horseman View Post
Going down by 1 goal does not cause any pro football team, let alone one as good as Spurs, to suddenly turn shit and ship 4 goals. That is an idiotic assumption to make. They had an off day, which is pretty fucking evident due the fact we won by 4 goals. Not one, not two, not three, four.

When the fuck did I say it didn't change the game??? If you are going to base your argument on something I have said, try actually using something I did say rather than a made up quote used to support your argument. Of course it changed the game, but to try and argue that the one dodgy goal was the entire reason Spurs totally capitulated and we won convincingly is just ridiculous. One goal does not make the entire difference in a 4 goal thrashing.
Your argument is not entirely without merit, but you cannot deny the mental shenanigans that go along with all sports. Mental attitude is paramount to success. If you have a bad or defeatist attitude, you will not succeed.

Being skanked by unfairness or cheating can reset the mind from a positive attitude which will potentially bring reward to a negative attitude that will bring defeat by four goals.

Anark is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2022 of 8216 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER
 
5th-Horseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charge, charge, Chelsea charge
Posts: 1,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                   
Re: 2012-13 English Premier League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anark View Post
Your argument is not entirely without merit, but you cannot deny the mental shenanigans that go along with all sports. Mental attitude is paramount to success. If you have a bad or defeatist attitude, you will not succeed.

Being skanked by unfairness or cheating can reset the mind from a positive attitude which will potentially bring reward to a negative attitude that will bring defeat by four goals.


Eloquent as always, but a team the calibre of Spurs don't simply stop playing due to going down one regardless of the goal. To blame losing 5-1 solely on that is ridiculous.


Steve the memories alone
5th-Horseman is offline  
post #2023 of 8216 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 01:06 PM
________________
 
Anark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
                     
Re: 2012-13 English Premier League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th-Horseman View Post
Eloquent as always, but a team the calibre of Spurs don't simply stop playing due to going down one regardless of the goal. To blame losing 5-1 solely on that is ridiculous.
I'm not blaming it solely on that. Of course other factors are in play. But I cannot personally deny the contribution that mental attitude has on all other factors, such as a defender getting himself in the right position or a centre midfielder mis-timing his tackle.

The mind is as powerful as the body, some would argue more so.

If the mind has been skewed from its original position of alertness and aptitude, distracted by thoughts of injustice and other negativity, then the result cannot be compared to what the result might have been had the mental attitudes remained positive and unadulterated by feelings of unfair misfortune.

Anark is offline  
post #2024 of 8216 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER
 
5th-Horseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charge, charge, Chelsea charge
Posts: 1,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                   
Re: 2012-13 English Premier League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anark View Post
I'm not blaming it solely on that. Of course other factors are in play. But I cannot personally deny the contribution that mental attitude has on all other factors, such as a defender getting himself in the right position or a centre midfielder mis-timing his tackle.

The mind is as powerful as the body, some would argue more so.

If the mind has been skewed from its original position of alertness and aptitude, distracted by thoughts of injustice and other negativity, then the result cannot be compared to what the result might have been had the mental attitudes remained positive and unadulterated by feelings of unfair misfortune.


And again I will go back to the point that I made earlier in that it would quite possible have made the difference if the score was 2-1 3-1. 5-1 however is an absolute drubbing. The ghost goal I feel had less of an influence on Spurs playing badly than the fact that the defending was awful, they created little in attack and they were comfertably outplayed over 90 minutes. All have mental elements to them, but losing by that much is indicative of having a bad day at the office in general, not that it was totally down to some mind shattering psychological blow of conceeding a dodgy goal. If that was the case then every time a team felt that they had been harshly treated in a decision leading to a goal then they would all subsequently play as badly as Spurs did over the rest of the match. Something that does not happen frequently.

I don't know, I feel like we are splitting hairs here between slightly differing levels of importance for mental attitude in sports.


Steve the memories alone
5th-Horseman is offline  
post #2025 of 8216 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 02:08 PM
________________
 
Anark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
                     
Re: 2012-13 English Premier League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th-Horseman View Post
And again I will go back to the point that I made earlier in that it would quite possible have made the difference if the score was 2-1 3-1. 5-1 however is an absolute drubbing. The ghost goal I feel had less of an influence on Spurs playing badly than the fact that the defending was awful, they created little in attack and they were comfertably outplayed over 90 minutes. All have mental elements to them, but losing by that much is indicative of having a bad day at the office in general, not that it was totally down to some mind shattering psychological blow of conceeding a dodgy goal. If that was the case then every time a team felt that they had been harshly treated in a decision leading to a goal then they would all subsequently play as badly as Spurs did over the rest of the match. Something that does not happen frequently.

I don't know, I feel like we are splitting hairs here between slightly differing levels of importance for mental attitude in sports.
I must respectfully and utterly fucking refuse to, in the politest possible way, accept the accuracy of your statement, kind sir.

The foundation of everything that I've been saying is that if the mental attitude is unfairly altered, changed into a negative state by an unfair and unjust occurrence, then the following result will vary from that where the mental attitude of one team wasn't fiddled with, in every sense of the word fiddled.

Anark is offline  
post #2026 of 8216 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER
 
5th-Horseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charge, charge, Chelsea charge
Posts: 1,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                   
Re: 2012-13 English Premier League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anark View Post
I must respectfully and utterly fucking refuse to, in the politest possible way, accept the accuracy of your statement, kind sir.

The foundation of everything that I've been saying is that if the mental attitude is unfairly altered, changed into a negative state by an unfair and unjust occurrence, then the following result will vary from that where the mental attitude of one team wasn't fiddled with, in every sense of the word fiddled.

I understand the foundation of yur argument so you don't need to repeat it man. I just totally disagree with it.

I in no way shape or form am ever going to accept the idea that a concinving 5-1 win is down in the most part to one bad piece of officiating. A 2-1 win, a 3-1 win yes. 5-1? Not a chance.


Steve the memories alone
5th-Horseman is offline  
post #2027 of 8216 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Searching for a new identity
 
ROUSEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In My Liverpool Home
Posts: 5,908
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
                     
Re: 2012-13 English Premier League Thread

I think you're both right.

Any side that loses a goal from a terrible referee mistake is always going to suffer, it can a real blow mentally. They also after feeling cheated out of it would perhaps get a tad bit more aggressive and lose concentration and make mistakes. The same can be said if it doesn't get given yet the same team score a goal just 20 seconds later.

l Follow me @Mxrty1878 l



Farewell to lower Frederick Street, Ensign Terrace and Park Lane
For I think it will be a long, long time before I see you again
ROUSEY is offline  
post #2028 of 8216 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 02:29 PM
________________
 
Anark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
                     
Re: 2012-13 English Premier League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th-Horseman View Post
I understand the foundation of yur argument so you don't need to repeat it man. I just totally disagree with it.

I in no way shape or form am ever going to accept the idea that a concinving 5-1 win is down in the most part to one bad piece of officiating. A 2-1 win, a 3-1 win yes. 5-1? Not a chance.
It's down to the change in mental attitude after the injustice happened.

Yes, the poor officiating instigated it, but is not the actual reason behind the collapse. The reason behind the collapse is a changing of attitude which allowed Chelsea's superior and enlivened attitude to score more goals than they would have had the injustice not happened and not altered the mind-state of the Spurs players.

The 3rd, 4th and 5th goals were direct consequences of the effect that the 2nd goal had on the mental attitudes of the Spurs players.

Anark is offline  
post #2029 of 8216 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER
 
5th-Horseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charge, charge, Chelsea charge
Posts: 1,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                   
Re: 2012-13 English Premier League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anark View Post
It's down to the change in mental attitude after the injustice happened.

Yes, the poor officiating instigated it, but is not the actual reason behind the collapse. The reason behind the collapse is a changing of attitude which allowed Chelsea's superior and enlivened attitude to score more goals than they would have had the injustice not happened and not altered the mind-state of the Spurs players.

The 3rd, 4th and 5th goals were direct consequences of the effect that the 2nd goal had on the mental attitudes of the Spurs players.


See this is the issue. The idea that the ghost goal led to the simulatanious collapse of 11 grown mens psyche, for me is absurd.

Anyway, I need to eat, cheers for the argument man.


Steve the memories alone
5th-Horseman is offline  
post #2030 of 8216 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Celestial Messiah
 
reDREDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 33,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: 2012-13 English Premier League Thread

Well, we were down 2-0 vs Barca at camp nou with ten men and the heart of our defence having fucked up big time, but somehow Ramires and Drogba just turned it into more strength

why? because we are CHAMPIONS

reDREDD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome