Follower of Lockeism
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cumbria, England
re: Tennis Discussion Thread
So, how well will Nadal do during Clay season?: I think he'll win probably around half of the tournaments on clay this year. I think he and Djokovic will pretty much share them out.
Who do you see as the biggest threat to Nadal & Djokovic at RG? : Probably Del Potro. I think he's pretty good on the clay and he has shown he's getting better and better right now, he's almost right up there with the big four but just not quite as he hasn't shown he can get the job done consistently. I think he could have a great tournament though and could cause a major upset if he's playing very well. I would have said Federer but I'm just not sure he's at that level now.
Now we are on to clay season, what will the top 8 look like by the end of the season in your opinion?: I think it'll look like this:
1. Novak Djokovic: I don't think he can be caught this year.
2. Andy Murray: He has almost nothing to defend over the clay season, so can pick up a lot of points there if he plays well, and Nadal has quite a few. He does have a lot after RG but I think the gap will be big enough to keep him at 2.
3. Rafael Nadal: I think he'll get quite near to Murray, but won't quite pass him. He has nothing to defend after Wimbledon, so he's bound to pick up a large number of points around there.
4. Roger Federer: I think the gap between the top five and the rest is pretty big so he maybe won't drop too far, he could end as number 5 though. The rest of the top ten might bridge the gap on Federer though.
5. Juan Martin Del Potro: He'll pick up more and more points as the season goes on as he's improving right now, with just a little more consistency at the highest level he'll be able to break into the top four next year.
6. David Ferrer: He's consistent in his results, but doesn't win enough to make a serious impact into the top five towards the end of the year where the likes of Del Potro will make his move.
7. Tomas Berdych: Can be very good, but sometimes can't be very good. His results in certain tournaments will keep him inside the top eight.
8. Jo Wilfred Tsonga: I'm not actually too sure about this one, I'm not sure if he'll finish inside the top eight. His results are random, he can win, he can lose without really much of a fuss. If he continues losing in the early rounds of big tournaments he might not finish in the top eight.
^^^^So pretty much like that, but with Murray number two and Nadal three.
Who is the most over-rated player in tennis? I would probably agree with Tomic. I don't see anything really special about the guy. Or maybe Goffin, I remember he was hyped last year as being one who would break through and I don't really see the talent there either.
Who is the most under-rated player in tennis? Baghdadis maybe, when he's on, he really is a threat to a lot of players. Simon is like Andy Murray but 10 x worse. He doesn't pose any kind of major threat to top players. I can't think of many players who are underrated to be honest.
Marking for: John Morrison, Randy Orton, CM Punk, Sheamus, Dolph Ziggler, Cody Rhodes and Jack Swagger.