Ryback is a Good Wrestler - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Oxi
BANKS
 
Oxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,536
Oxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselves
Default Ryback is a Good Wrestler

Welcome to the thread. I know it's a fairly large read but if you have the time I urge you to do so. You may agree, you may disagree, but if you disagree, you'll find out that you're wrong about most of your thoughts on Ryback.

Too often I see people say things like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
If he is, then for once, THANK YOU CENA. Ryback is everything that's wrong with wrestling today.

But the notion that Ryback threatened Cena's spot is laughable since Ryback can't talk, which you have to be able to do to be the #1 face of a promotion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVK View Post
I think WWE understood that Ryback isn't a really good wrestler... or promoman... or a really good anything to be fair. So they are giving him this epic depush now. I'm not that sure that he'll win against Jericho now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt 'Olympic Gold View Post
Have to agree. Even though Cena is awful himself, Ryback is even worse. It's a shame that he even was in the WWE title scene.
Obviously there's a lot of posts like these here and it's fairly clear that the negative thoughts on Ryback clearly outweigh the positive ones. I'm here to thwart these incorrect and sometimes deluded negative beliefs.

For a forum full of 'smart' marks and such, it's a pain to see so many people dismiss Ryback as a horrid wrestler solely because of his style, his gimmick, and/or his niche.
He may be a large, muscle-bound power wrestler but that does not mean he's bad at everything but power moves.


"Ryback can't wrestle!"
I see the most and it's by far the most incorrect and annoying one ever. Let's get this straight; Professional wrestling is not all about submissions, technicality and mat prowess; contrary to popular belief. Ironically, it seems that this comes from a lot of people who contradict themselves by essentially stating what I just said about a different wrestler that they like, or 'respect'. Let's use John Cena as an example.

Cena isn't the most gifted wrestler or sports entertainer the industry has ever seen. Hell, I'd go far enough as to say that he's the least skilled of all 'faces of the company', even less than Hulk Hogan, and one of the worst wrestlers and sports entertainers in the WWE now. This forum and smart fans are very divided on the subject of Cena's skill. Some say he's a great wrestler because he has four star matches on a regular basis. Others, more directly and correctly state that he's often carried by better workers in the match. When Cena has these matches, most of the time he's being beaten up, laying on the ground for most of the match, and throws in some lucky reversals and close fall pins. Nothing more, nothing less.

'What's the problem with this?', you may ask. In essence, nothing. (and I'd rather keep the Cena arguments out of this thread if you don't mind, I'm using him as a prime example) However Cena is prevailed and rated as a "good" or at least "average" worker by a large portion of the community for doing the same thing as Ryback, yet Ryback is rated as "bad" or "subpar", most of the time.

Ryback doesn't do submissions. Okay. You may not appreciate the style of wrestling that he does, because you prefer technicality and similar things, but no one ever says Daniel Bryan is a bad wrestler because he can't/doesn't do power moves to people much bigger than him, do they? I know it's a silly comparison, but the principle is the same.

When it comes to understanding the manoeuvres, I don't think many people notice. Take the recent Ryback vs Daniel Bryan match. Bryan locked in a deathlock. How often do you see that? Ryback knew what it was and had it applied perfectly. You can't give Bryan all the credit for it; submissions are a 50/50.

All in all, when it comes to submissions and technical/amateur wrestling, clearly Ryback isn't going to be the best, but you can't even rate it because he doesn't do it because of his character.


"Ryback has no cardio!"
Well yea, but you don't need it that much when you're a muscle-bound freak of nature throwing people around all day do you? He's not running off the ropes three times to hit each clothesline and diving from the top rope every few minutes. Why does it even matter?

If you care so much about it, let's compare him to Mark Henry, The Big Show, and even Cena and Sheamus. I know Mark Henry is the worlds strongest man, but that's his niche. He does not need to run around, neither does Big Show. Sheamus and Cena both have their own cardio problems but people rarely complain about that. Why? Well, Sheamus proved everyone wrong by pulling off a MOTY candidate with Show, and that shut everyone up, and Cena doesn't do anything in the ring that needs cardio, once again, just like Ryback.

Sheamus' match with Big Show, like I said, shut people up and proved that he was actually a fairly decent wrestler and a real top player. Does Ryback need the same thing? Because if he does, go look at Extreme Rules against Cena. Cena did his usual shtick, taking bumps for most of the match and counters a few times and gets called "good" when Ryback does the offensive work and is ignored wholly.

There aren't many wrestlers above the legitimate 230lbs mark that are renowned for being able to stay in a lengthy, fast and impactful match for that long anyway, why is Ryback suddenly an exception?


"Ryback can't do promos!" or "Ryback is one-dimensional!"
I can't really argue this too much, because he hasn't really shown that he is good at promos.
Fortunately enough he's shown that he's better than a lot, and though his raspy, monotone voice is in a way annoying, he's shown a vocabulary and trivial knowledge that most good promo workers in the WWE haven't. He's intense, and to the point. And again, I say this all the time, you can't rate a workers mic work, charisma or promo ability when they're paired up against John Cena. Cena takes the spotlight, forces people to stop talking, shrugs off their words and comes back with some real childish remarks which would make anyone look bad; even Punk and The Rock (who also does it).

True his character is one-dimensional. It is, or at least was (I'm fairly confused where they're putting him at this stage) essentially hell-bent on destruction. It's a typical character, and though it's one-dimensional, obvious and often uncreative, Ryback has shown that he's good at exactly that. One-dimensional-ness hasn't stopped one of the most uncharismatic and verbally boring main event superstars the WWE has ever seen in 'The Viper' Randy Orton. Note the emphasis on 'The Viper'; Orton was great before Rated RKO.


"Ryback lacks in-ring psychology!"
Is it really possible to even say someone is good or bad at 'in-ring psychology'? It's a pretty made up thing and it's near impossible to really state anything on the matter unless you're a wrestler with years of experience and have been in the ring with the person you're talking about. Or alternatively you could just take the words of wrestlers who have. Unfortunately I don't think there have been any legitimate shoot-interviews about Ryback with other wrestlers, so I don't have any 'proof' that he's got good 'in-ring psychology'; however that means there's no proof he's bad at it either.

When it comes to selling, though, I think he's highly underrated. It seems that superstars in the WWE are often overrated and underrated a lot when it comes to selling and bumping. People like Ziggler are incredibly good, but often go a little overboard, and are yet considered "good" at selling, even when they sell a simple slap like death just shanked them. That's excessive. It's unwanted and very unnecessary.
I'm not going to say that Ryback is an incredibly good seller, but I will say that he is better than good.

You may argue that 'he doesn't sell enough', but in fact, he sells perfectly for his gimmick, size, strength, mentality and everything in between. Take his two PPV matches with Cena in Extreme Rules and in Payback. He's clearly the monster-heel when Cena is the underdog, but he doesn't undersell or completely no-sell Cena's minimal offense. Ryback takes it and comes back fast, but not too fast. He comes back weaker, but not too weak.

Not only as a monster against Cena did he do very well, even against a low-card guy like Gabriel whose entire gimmick is based on hard hitting strikes, and lucha inspired high-flying, Ryback did perfectly. In their match not so long ago, Ryback sold those kicks like a professional professional. Clearly he didn't make it look like a small guy who has never had an opportunity at main event status was going to destroy him with every kick, but he made it look like he was legitimately harmed by those exact kicks.

Not long after this, his match with a fairly average ring worker in The Miz was again, really good. Miz got a lot of hits on his leg, and though the booking for the match and the finish were definitely questionable, Ryback did a great job of selling.


I'm not going to lie. I know Ryback isn't the greatest, and I know he has his flaws and has his limits, but I just want other people to realise that, though he has flaws, they're nowhere near as bad as a lot of people make them out to be. And he may have his limits, but he hasn't even reached them yet. You have to give the guy a chance, like Sheamus, see him pull off a MOTY candidate match with someone you wouldn't expect it from, and I hope your opinions change - much like a large amount did when Axel was re-branded, though so many people thought -McGillicutty was one of the worst wrestlers in the WWE.
Oxi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 07-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
#Boliever
 
Bo Wyatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,209
Bo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missed
Default Re: Ryback is a Good Wrestler

so you are saying that their opinions are incorrect?
Bo Wyatt is offline  
Old 07-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
WeThePeople's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 252
WeThePeople
Default Re: Ryback is a Good Wrestler

Yeah he can wrestle, but that doesn't mean I have to like him which I don't.
I don't like him because he isn't someone I can really relate to and don't want to cheer for. I don't need an excuse for that.
WeThePeople is offline  
Old 07-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Oxi
BANKS
 
Oxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,536
Oxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselvesOxi is making a name for themselves
Default Re: Ryback is a Good Wrestler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredForeskinn View Post
so you are saying that their opinions are incorrect?
I'm saying that what they think is their opinion is wrong because the opposite is fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople View Post
Yeah he can wrestle, but that doesn't mean I have to like him which I don't.
I don't like him because he isn't someone I can really relate to and don't want to cheer for. I don't need an excuse for that.
No problem there. Respect and recognition are completely different to whether or not you like someone. I strongly appreciate you can tell the difference though .
Oxi is offline  
Old 07-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
#Boliever
 
Bo Wyatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,209
Bo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missedBo Wyatt probably won't be missed
Default Re: Ryback is a Good Wrestler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxitron View Post
I'm saying that what they think is their opinion is wrong because the opposite is fact.
Everybody is wrong and you are right? ok...
Bo Wyatt is offline  
Old 07-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Beefcake!! BEEFCAKE!!
 
Stone Cold Steve Austin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Park
Posts: 11,750
Stone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a push
Default Re: Ryback is a Good Wrestler

__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore Maranzano
Kingdoms rise, kingdoms fall. Pretenders reach for the throne but only Caesar can rule and the pretenders fade away. What does it all mean? In the words of Marcus Aurelius, the universe is change, our life is what our thoughts make it. And my thoughts are this, everybody in this room, is going to get rich.
Stone Cold Steve Austin is offline  
Old 07-04-2013, 02:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
WeThePeople's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 252
WeThePeople
Default Re: Ryback is a Good Wrestler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxitron View Post
I'm saying that what they think is their opinion is wrong because the opposite is fact.



No problem there. Respect and recognition are completely different to whether or not you like someone. I strongly appreciate you can tell the difference though .
Thank you, I get annoyed at the people that read a few posts saying "Ryback can't wrestle" "Ryback Can't talk" and then they immediately jump on the bandwagon.
It is a bit like the situation with the goldberg chants. A few idiots started it and now you can hear them at least once every show.
WeThePeople is offline  
Old 07-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
DonkMunk316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: England
Posts: 919
DonkMunk316 is an after thoughtDonkMunk316 is an after thought
Default Re: Ryback is a Good Wrestler

I agree I like Ryback. Hes a powerhouse which is something severly lacking in wwe.

At first his heel turn was brilliant to.

But after losing to Cena twice and now hes goin through this Cryback phase,
its not good but im hoping its the begining of him eventually going on an unstoppable rampage which ultimately leads to him being crowned wwe champion.

Probably wont get the whc as thats for mid carders now
__________________
ALL TIME TOP 5
  • Stone Cold
  • HHH
  • Kane
  • Brock Lesnar
  • Randy Orton

CURRENT TOP 5
  • Brock Lesnar
  • HHH
  • Stephanie
  • Randy Orton
  • Dean Ambrose

CURRENT WORST TOP 3

John Cena - The Usos - Sheamus

ATTITUDE ERA ENTHUSIAST
DonkMunk316 is offline  
Old 07-04-2013, 02:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Vince gives me a comedy gimmick
 
Asenath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,441
Asenath needs to take rep more seriousAsenath needs to take rep more seriousAsenath needs to take rep more seriousAsenath needs to take rep more seriousAsenath needs to take rep more seriousAsenath needs to take rep more serious
Default Re: Ryback is a Good Wrestler

Nope.
__________________
Ainsi sera, groigne qui groigne.

Asenath is offline  
Old 07-04-2013, 02:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Buried by Triple H
 
Black Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,323
Black Jesus better hope they're relatively new hereBlack Jesus better hope they're relatively new hereBlack Jesus better hope they're relatively new hereBlack Jesus better hope they're relatively new hereBlack Jesus better hope they're relatively new hereBlack Jesus better hope they're relatively new hereBlack Jesus better hope they're relatively new hereBlack Jesus better hope they're relatively new hereBlack Jesus better hope they're relatively new hereBlack Jesus better hope they're relatively new hereBlack Jesus better hope they're relatively new here
Default Re: Ryback is a Good Wrestler

It doesn't really matter if he is a good wrestler or not. It has been proven time and time again that wrestling skill in the WWE doesn't matter that much.

The problem is how Ryback is booked. He is supposed to be a powerhouse freak of nature but he is losing ALL THE TIME. He hasn't won at any PPV in 2013. WWE turned him heel just to feud with SuperCena, killing off all of his momentum as a face, which is ridiculous.

Ryback will go nowhere in the WWE, simply because WWE has lost the way to book a badass powerhouse type of character. It is sad but true.
__________________
Black Jesus is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios