Re: 5/3 Smackdown, 5/1 Main Event & SMS Spoilers
I don't post here often, but I read all the time (especially during RAW). I was at Smackdown in Detroit tonight and wanted to give a few thoughts, if I may:
- before the show, part of the crowd was REALLY wanting to see Taker. It wasn't a large group of people, maybe a couple of sections, but it echoed throughout the arena.
- JBL got an impressive pop when he came out. Cole, on the other hand, got almost nothing.
- I saw hundreds, if not thousands, wearing John Cena things. The kid next to me, with his father, was decked out head-to-toe in Cena stuff. It's tough to describe their reaction when they showed Cena's injury on the jumbotron...but it wasn't good. Completely deflated.
- A LOT of people were cheering for Kofi. He's extremely popular with the kids.
- The "main event" match seemed to drag at times. I didn't time it, but felt like it went for a good 30-40 minutes?
- Del Rio, Orton, and Sheamus were all over the high-fives of kids along the rails, especially after the show. A lot of guys, win or lose, walked up the ramp. These guys stuck around, though. Sheamus even posed for a few pictures. Very impressed!
- You see The Shield's entrance on TV, but in person, it flies by so much quicker. What was neat was the fans knew it was coming and security was all over it, a good couple of minutes before it happened. Anticipation is a great thing sometimes. Just too bad I was one section over from it. Seating chart was messed up online.
- After his match (not the dark match), as Orton was just about to leave on the ramp. He stopped, started dancing (back turned to the crowd), had the crowd going, then left. Not a big thing, but off-the-wall.
- It's difficult to believe 3MB is anything more than a sideshow. They were just tough to take seriously in any way.
- On the same note, Justin Gabriel went over with the fans. He made fun of Heath Slater pretty good and I like what he brings to the table.
- I have no idea what this was about, but during the Dark Match (Big Show and Henry v. Sheamus and Orton), Show went over to Cole and started yelling at him. Cole, JBL, and Matthews were sitting there just watching (no headphones or anything) and Show goes off on Cole. JBL looked like he was scolding Cole. Later in the match, Show does something and all three gave rather obligated, enthusiastic claps.
- AJ, for all she's psychotic, looks even better in person. Tiny as can be, but damn!
- Haha, Big E can't be taken seriously. He just looks goofy right now. I know he has the talent, but...
- Not even close to a sell-out. Half of the upper bowl was closed off. Disappointing. The crowd, in general, though, wasn't too bad. Lots of chants, but not sure how many you'll hear on TV.
Frustrating night without Taker, Cena, and Punk (though I realize that's more of a RAW thing). The crowd didn't seem too happy that Taker and Cena didn't come. Win some, lose some.
Night of Champions is in Detroit, BTW, on Sept 15 (or 19? whatever the Sunday is). They announced that tonight.