How can anyone hate Ryback? - Page 8 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:38 AM
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
rockdig1228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Re: How can anyone hate Ryback?

The three quoted posts below are required reading for everyone here... you could all learn something if you absorb any of this.

Also, in this week's Main Event episode, it showed a little more to Ryback's persona. The pre-match interview with Matt Striker was entertaining in my eyes, his match against Cesaro was really solid, and he busted out some moves we haven't seen from him yet. I think people just need to give him more time to develop the character, since he pretty much did the same thing for the first five months he was on television.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
Different people like different things. I'm personally a fan of Ryback and enjoy seeing him destroy guys, and have also enjoyed seeing him work longer main event matches.

I don't mind people not liking Ryback. As mentioned, different people like different things. But what does annoy me is people shitting on the guy just because they themselves don't get the appeal of him. I just find it baffling that some people will refuse to give guys credit where it is clearly due based solely on they're own preconceptions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by x78 View Post
He was put into the main event as a filler while Cena was injured and got over, nobody was buried or made to look weak and WWE now potentially have a new top star. You can't really argue with that. I hate this idea of jumping through hoops, a guy like Ryback couldn't spend years jobbing, it would ruin his credibility. Maybe that's one of the reasons the company hasn't been able to create new stars for so long. Besides, it's not as though Ryback is new to wrestling, he has been going for close to 10 years, he spent time on NXT and as part of Nexus, in fact he was introduced to WWE at the same time as Daniel Bryan and Bryan was in the main event well before Ryback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
I also have a theory that the IWC have things that they are precondition to hate. One being big muscle guys that can't go in the ring. Another being guys that seem to have the backing of the company and get the 'undeserved push'. And lastly faces that are seemingly 'unbeatable'.

The funny thing is that Ryback at first glance it might seem Ryback is all three of these things. But the reality is he is none of them. He is a big muscly guy, yes, but he can go in the ring. When he's been put in the main event matches, he's delivered. He has been in the ring with good guys on all four occasions (Cell, 3 way at Survivor Series, and both TLCs). But he got the job done, and I'm not generally a star ratings guy, but to me the average for all 4 of those matches is roughly 3 and a half stars. You can't really argue with that record.

As for being a company guy and getting the monster push. Well he's been around the developmental and on WWE's radar since 2004, so he's nearly a decade in the making. WWE didn't just pull this guy out of a gym, liked his look and then straped a rocket to his ass, but have ensured that he honed his craft and made sure he was ready before giving him the big TV exposure. As for the push, well for months and months, all he was doing was squashing local guys. As far as I'm concerned, that's not much of a push. If people can remember, at roughly the same time, there was also Brodus who had a huge undefeated streak too, and he was actually going over guys like Miz and Ziggler too, so from that perspective, he was getting a bigger push than Ryback at the time. But the difference is Ryback was getting himself over while Brodus was not (it's worth noting that gimmick may also have played apart, but nevertheless).

So I would hardly say that Ryback got a super push right out of the blocks. Rather that he was booked well, and as a result, he got over. So then he build up some momentum, and beat more important guys (Miz, Ziggler, etc.) and the big push actually came when he was put into the program with Punk. But I don't see how it can be classed as undeserved when he build up the momentum for it, he was over, and the push actually worked. Surely such facts contradict the idea of a push being 'undeserved'. The only other argument to a push being undeserved is the cliche 'paying of dues' which I actually think it's an asinine point anyway, but nevertheless, the guy had been wrestling for over a decade, so I think by anyone's standards, that's 'dues' paid.

So he's gotten his push, he's in the main event of a PPV, and he gets beat. It was a screwjob finish but he's still beaten and the streak ends. But he's still over, and there's a rematch. Beaten again, screwy finish, he's still over. Rinse and repeat, etc. So the guy has lost ALL four of his big main event matches. So much for the 'big' push. But the guy is still very much over. I'm not saying he should have won any of those matches, but simply stating that his 'big' push really isn't that big of a push.

As for being a predictable, 'superman' babyface character. He is that. He does win the vast majority of his matches. But that's exactly how he should be booked for maximum effect. Based on the way he looks, and his hard hitting style, he's pretty much the perfect unstoppable monster. So if he loses random matches for the sake of unpredictability, or he loses clean, then he loses the aura of invincibility he has. And that aura of invincibility plays into what pro wrestling is all about. 'The immovable object vs the unstoppable force' and all that. That's what the HIAC PPV did such a good buyrate. It was the heel champion vs an unstoppable monster in a cell. Something had to give. It's also the reason why The Shield are so over. Seeing the indomitable Ryback manhandled and thrown threw a table. If The Shield did that to R-Truth, then it wouldn't have been as striking as when they did it to Ryback.

tl;dr A bunch of geeks hate on based on preconceived notions about him and also don't think the first thing about what most folks like in pro wrestling.
rockdig1228 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #72 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:51 AM
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
KeepinItReal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Re: How can anyone hate Ryback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
I also have a theory that the IWC have things that they are precondition to hate. One being big muscle guys that can't go in the ring. Another being guys that seem to have the backing of the company and get the 'undeserved push'. And lastly faces that are seemingly 'unbeatable'.

The funny thing is that Ryback at first glance it might seem Ryback is all three of these things. But the reality is he is none of them. He is a big muscly guy, yes, but he can go in the ring. When he's been put in the main event matches, he's delivered. He has been in the ring with good guys on all four occasions (Cell, 3 way at Survivor Series, and both TLCs). But he got the job done, and I'm not generally a star ratings guy, but to me the average for all 4 of those matches is roughly 3 and a half stars. You can't really argue with that record.

As for being a company guy and getting the monster push. Well he's been around the developmental and on WWE's radar since 2004, so he's nearly a decade in the making. WWE didn't just pull this guy out of a gym, liked his look and then straped a rocket to his ass, but have ensured that he honed his craft and made sure he was ready before giving him the big TV exposure. As for the push, well for months and months, all he was doing was squashing local guys. As far as I'm concerned, that's not much of a push. If people can remember, at roughly the same time, there was also Brodus who had a huge undefeated streak too, and he was actually going over guys like Miz and Ziggler too, so from that perspective, he was getting a bigger push than Ryback at the time. But the difference is Ryback was getting himself over while Brodus was not (it's worth noting that gimmick may also have played apart, but nevertheless).

So I would hardly say that Ryback got a super push right out of the blocks. Rather that he was booked well, and as a result, he got over. So then he build up some momentum, and beat more important guys (Miz, Ziggler, etc.) and the big push actually came when he was put into the program with Punk. But I don't see how it can be classed as undeserved when he build up the momentum for it, he was over, and the push actually worked. Surely such facts contradict the idea of a push being 'undeserved'. The only other argument to a push being undeserved is the cliche 'paying of dues' which I actually think it's an asinine point anyway, but nevertheless, the guy had been wrestling for over a decade, so I think by anyone's standards, that's 'dues' paid.

So he's gotten his push, he's in the main event of a PPV, and he gets beat. It was a screwjob finish but he's still beaten and the streak ends. But he's still over, and there's a rematch. Beaten again, screwy finish, he's still over. Rinse and repeat, etc. So the guy has lost ALL four of his big main event matches. So much for the 'big' push. But the guy is still very much over. I'm not saying he should have won any of those matches, but simply stating that his 'big' push really isn't that big of a push.

As for being a predictable, 'superman' babyface character. He is that. He does win the vast majority of his matches. But that's exactly how he should be booked for maximum effect. Based on the way he looks, and his hard hitting style, he's pretty much the perfect unstoppable monster. So if he loses random matches for the sake of unpredictability, or he loses clean, then he loses the aura of invincibility he has. And that aura of invincibility plays into what pro wrestling is all about. 'The immovable object vs the unstoppable force' and all that. That's what the HIAC PPV did such a good buyrate. It was the heel champion vs an unstoppable monster in a cell. Something had to give. It's also the reason why The Shield are so over. Seeing the indomitable Ryback manhandled and thrown threw a table. If The Shield did that to R-Truth, then it wouldn't have been as striking as when they did it to Ryback.

tl;dr A bunch of geeks hate on based on preconceived notions about him and also don't think the first thing about what most folks like in pro wrestling.
100% agree. And what was the storyline result of this? Punk is the coward, pussy, cheating heel he's supposed to be, with CREATIVE screwjobs we haven't seen before, Ryback is more popular and better in the ring and on he mic, and now he's feuding with a bunch of other entertaining midcarders who just arrived, the Shield. All this out of Cena getting an arm injury? 99% of the entertaining Shield moments are with Ryback, they were made for each other, it feels like its the main even though its not. The Ryback/Punk series was entertaining, perfect for both of them, and led into great storylines after, and created stars. Even if Ryback sucks ass, that's damn good storytelling, and we haven't seen this story before, and its making money off the guy.

I agree that Ryback isn't a main eventer yet, but could they have told a better storyline for HIAC once Cena got injured? The belt's not on him, and getting screwjobs this early in his career distinguishes him from Lesnar and Goldberg.

WWE favorites: Punk, Sheamus, Lesnar, Ambrose, Rollins, Reigns,
Del Rio, Orton, Bryan, Ziggler, Wyatt, Usos, Cesaro, Mysterio, Kane
DGPW: Doi, Yoshino, Tozawa, Yamato, Dragon Kid, BxB Hulk, Ricochet, Super Shisa
NJPW: Okada, Nakamura, Styles ROH: Briscoes, Fish and O'Reilly, Young Bucks
All-Time: Rock, Punk, Lesnar, Angle

KeepinItReal is offline  
post #73 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 03:38 AM
I'm known as 'Scottish-Throw' when introduced by Michael Cole.
 
Scottish-Suplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 3,710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
                     
Re: How can anyone hate Ryback?

I quite like Ryback, as you said, he can wrestle well, I love the way he does the Thez Press and he does have a good look for a wrestler, plus Monday's promo worked much better for me then before, it was more of a two way conversation with the audience when before hand it felt like he was giving a pre-prepared speech.

But I can understand the reason, he does symbolize A LOT that people don't like about wrestling, he's being given all the opportunities, i.e the good build up, easy catch phrase to get him over, strong and cool booking to get the crowds to like him. If people like Tyson Kidd has been booked that way from the start good chance they'd be over as well. However he did get the good stuff likely because of the look he was born with.

Also there's the stuff I'm not sure about, some say he's a sloppy and dangerous worker and that he can't work long matches without taking rest breaks, I don't know, it's a case of wait and see (another point, pushed a lot very early offended some) but as we all know much of the IWC doesn't take much time before casting its final verdict.


"Get up fools, this mah table now!"
Scottish-Suplex is offline  
post #74 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 03:52 AM
Learning to break kayfabe
 
RAWImpact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
   
Re: How can anyone hate Ryback?

I don't hate Ryback. I hate the fact that he is probably going to get shoved down our throats for the next couple of years. And I hate the fact that he was thrown into a program for the WWE Championship when he wasn't (and still isn't) even close to ready, after spending the year just destroying jobbers and now we're even in a situation where Ryback winning the Royal Rumble is actually possible. Stuff like that just reeks of a desperate "PLEASE like Ryback. PLEASE. We want him to be the future" and I hate that. I despise when WWE tries to force anything because they can't accept when it fails. They will not stop pushing Ryback.

Last edited by RAWImpact; 01-25-2013 at 03:54 AM.
RAWImpact is offline  
post #75 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 04:08 AM
21-0
 
Hennessey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
                     
Re: How can anyone hate Ryback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cynical Heel View Post
He can't wrestle more than a shitty 5 minutes match without taking a nap.
He can't talk for shit.
He botched his finisher. TWICE.
He has the power of a 100lbs man.
His facial expressions make me burst in tears of laugh.
I can't take him seriously even as a lowcarder after I've seen his Tough Enough shit. He's a redneck.
He is one of the ugliest pro wrestlers I've ever seen.
He is a douchebag outside the ring.
The only reason he has a job it's because he feeds himself steroids and Vince can masturbate on his muscles.
He is overpushed over more talented guys including Antonio Cesaro, Dean Ambrose, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns, Dolph Ziggler, Wade Barrett, Tyson Kidd, Cody Rhodes, Damien Sandow, Ted DiBiase and the list can go FUCKING ON.
1. Ryback/Punk HIAC, Ryback/Punk/Cena, 6 man TLC match, and Ryback/Punk TLC were all matches that were longer then 5 minutes, and all of them have been decent to good.

2. A lot of people think he is actually pretty decent on the mic.

3. So what if he botched his finisher twice? I have seen some of the best wrestlers in the world botch their finisher from time to time.

4. He has the power of a 100 pound man. Show me a 100 pound man that can lift 300 pound men on his shoulders.

5. He is one of the ugliest pro wrestlers you have ever seen? So what? Do you jerk off to sexy male wrestlers?

6. How do you know he is a douchebag outside of the ring? DO you personally know him? Have you met him? The answer is fuck now.

7. How do you know he is on steroids? I am not saying he is clean, but there is no proof that he is on roids, other then OMG he has big muscles. Just because you are some skinny kid doesnt mean that anyone bigger then you is on roids.

8. He is overpushed over more talented guy you say? So fucking what? He is not the first wrestler to be pushed above better workers.
Hennessey is offline  
post #76 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 04:10 AM
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
   
Re: How can anyone hate Ryback?

I used to like him but he is getting stale imo

squashing jobbers is just boring week after week and he needs to go after the WHC as he won't be touching the proper RAW title

as someone said in another thread he needs a really good run in the Rumble on Sunday where he impressivley eliminates a couple of big names and stays in for a while

EDIT - Plus he is terrible on the mic

Last edited by Stadhart; 01-25-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Stadhart is offline  
post #77 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 AM
Learning to break kayfabe
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Re: How can anyone hate Ryback?

I think he's an alright wrestler given a chance but id rather see henry, lesnar or reigns if I want to watch a big man match. My only problem with his booking is that he looks about the same size as reigns and less intimidating then him so why does reigns need ambrose and rollins to fight him off (the shield are entertaining and do work well together) but its just something that makes little sense that when there is two big guys going at it surely it would only take one of the other 2 to get involved to take down ryback.
shadow455 is offline  
post #78 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 04:31 AM
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
KatKayson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
       
Re: How can anyone hate Ryback?

Wait what?


He can't/hasn't work/worked a long match..

He sucks on the mic.

Every reason people like him is just because of his gimmick..

There is nothing good about him that I can see but his gimmick.

Not a valuable poster
KatKayson is offline  
post #79 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 04:40 AM
Searching for a new identity
 
sesshomaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
                     
Re: How can anyone hate Ryback?

I think most of the haters just dislike that he can't talk on the mic.


Which is an accurate critisism. I see no reason to hate on his in-ring skills, however. Those will improve. But it's harder to become a good mic worker.

http://www.wrestlingforum.com/signaturepics/sigpic155408_3.gif
sesshomaru is offline  
post #80 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 04:44 AM
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
RFalcao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Porto, Portugal
Posts: 1,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
     
Re: How can anyone hate Ryback?

Like Glenn Jacobs, did you like Jacobs as Dr. Isaac Yankem?, as fake Diesel? " Every reason people like him is just because of his gimmick..
RFalcao is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome