Here comes another Cena heel turn thread - Page 7 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 12-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #61 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
Avon Barksdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 396
Avon Barksdale should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsAvon Barksdale should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsAvon Barksdale should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsAvon Barksdale should be embarassed if they have more than 50 posts
Default Re: Here comes another Cena heel turn thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepinItReal View Post
I'm not a Cena fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I refuse to be a Cena hater either. The man is the most popular wrestler of this generation, putting him right on par with Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, The Rock, and Randy Savage in terms of how much fans love him and throw money at him. I'm not saying he's as good as those guys, but he's as popular as they are; they didn't bring in amazing ratings, and Cena affects ratings more than anyone else today. The only two wrestlers that are above this class, in my opinion, are Hogan and Austin. They made wrestling into a massively popular brand, no matter how temporary. Other than them, Cena is as popular as anyone.

When Cena injured his arm a couple months back, the first Raw without him was the lowest rated Raw in 15 years. He is the man, no matter what our personal opinions may be. Kids love the guy, and kids are how you invest in the future. I'll bet everyone on this forum got into wrestling before they were 14 yrs old. This is how you build towards the future, and unfortunately wrestling is in rebuilding mode.

To me, the Cena heel turn idea is ludicrous. Nothing about his character lends to him being a heel. He'd have to be a completely different character, which could permanently ruin him. Austin's heel turn was a massive failure, and I think it ruined the remainder of his career. In fairness, by my logic Hogan's heel turn would've been a failure, and it turned out to be the best business decision in the history of the business. However, you just can't bet on something like the nWo happening in WWE.

This is all driven by Cena haters who don't buy into his character. Well the fact is a ton of other people do, and he's the reason WWE is as successful as it is today. All you people who claim "the time has come, he's just boring now" were saying he was boring five years ago. Some in this message board claim his popularity will run out and in a couple of years no one will care about him. Never in pro wrestling has the top face simply lost popularity late in his career. Storylines may have been stale, but never has the guy just lost popularity. This idea that all the Cena fans out there are just gonna wake up and discover that Cena is actually fake and boring is ridiculous, because he's not fake and boring. He's the nicest guy in the world, and he realistically acts like that, and all us cynics who love heels like Ziggler and Punk just can't stand it so we call him fake. He's the most popular wrestler on the planet, and there's no reason to expect that to change.

Sorry.



John Cena is the top draw of this generation. I swear anti-Cena fans treat Cena and Cena fans like non-wrestling fans treat wrestling and wrestling fans ("It's fake!!!"). Lol I say this largely because when I saw a 20 yr old in a Cena t-shirt, a part of me looked down on him as immature, which is exactly what every non-wrestling fan think of us. They're just a bunch of cynics who don't get it. I don't like Cena any more than the next guy, BUT THE FACT IS HE'S THE MOST POPULAR WRESTLER OF THIS GENERATION. WWE isn' forcing him down our throats, fans want him, which is why he moves the ratings more than anyone else today (and a lot more than Punk).

I'm a big Sheamus fan, but you can't just say Sheamus can be Cena if you insert Sheamus into the position. They're not the same character, and believe it or not Cena is uniquely talented at playing the PG hero that he is today. (Another analogy to people who hate wrestling: a friend of mine who hates wrestling one said its easy to make a wrestler a big star by just having him win all his matches). And he's not FAKE. His character is extremely realistic, cynical fans just can't stand the nice guy so they call him "fake." He's only fake in that people act really nice, or politicians/celebrities act perfect for the sake of public image. In that case, Cena's playing the role model and the celebrity that he's supposed to play, and that kids are in fact eating up. Cena is doing exactly what he's supposed to be doing. If you see Cena on talk shows, they treat him like a pro athlete rather than a freak show or a joke like they do other pro wrestlers, he's just a really likable guy, unless you're a hater and a cynic. I get the Cena hate, I wanna boo him too, but I hold back because he really is just so good at doing exactly the right thing. He's not trying to be the anti-hero we want him to be, he's being the actual hero that kids want him to be (and women), and the ratings and merchandise sales reflect that.

Oh, and someone here pointed out that older fans are the ones with the money to spend on merch. Well, Cena's merch sells better than any other wrestler by far. Vince McMahon hasn't been stubbornly pushing Cena for 8 yrs, hoping in vain for the dude to get popular. Cena is as popular as it gets in the 21st century.

Lol I swear all you haters are turning me into a Cena fan.
Can you please explain to me how Cena is a massive draw? Don't use merchandise, because Punk's first best in the world t shirt was outselling Cena's and The Rock's merchandise was outselling his too. Explain the ratings too, all he does at best is keep them average. During many of his so called "headlined" wrestlemanias, he wasn't even the main draw. Let's look at the facts

Wrestlemania 21- Cena vs JBL. Triple H and Batista were the main draws and Hogan being inducted. Expected
Wrestlemania 22- Cena vs Triple H. Cena and Triple H were actually the main draws.
Wrestlemania 23- Cena vs HBK. Main evented, but played second fiddle to Donald Trump and Vince
Wrestlemania 24- Cena vs Orton vs Triple H. Mayweather and Big Show were the main draws (no surprise)
Wrestlemania 25- Cena vs Edge vs Big Show. Main draws were Triple H, Shawn Michaels, and the Undertaker
Wrestlemania 26- Cena vs Batista- This should be the main draw, but it wasn't. Taker vs HBK II was.
Wrestlemania 27- Cena vs Miz- The Rock as a fucking host was the main draw.
Wrestlemania 28- Cena vs Rock- Once again Rock was the main draw, but I'll give Cena credit, he was a big reason the wwe had the most ppv buys in history. But it was more of the generation vs generation match that sold.

Looks like every wrestlemania needed an outsider or attitude era legend (Triple H, HBK, and Taker) to sell the damn ppv. So once again, can someone please explain to me how the fuck Cena is a MASSIVE DRAW? And don't come at me with the merchandise bullshit, with today's active roster, he only has to outsell Punk, Shaemus, Ziggler, and Ryback. How impressive.
__________________
“I ain’t no suit-wearin’ businessman like you… you know I’m just a gangsta I suppose…”



Avon Barksdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 12-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #62 (permalink)
Vince gives me a comedy gimmick
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,433
truk83 better hope they're relatively new heretruk83 better hope they're relatively new heretruk83 better hope they're relatively new heretruk83 better hope they're relatively new heretruk83 better hope they're relatively new heretruk83 better hope they're relatively new heretruk83 better hope they're relatively new heretruk83 better hope they're relatively new heretruk83 better hope they're relatively new heretruk83 better hope they're relatively new heretruk83 better hope they're relatively new here
Default Re: Here comes another Cena heel turn thread

Cena turning is exactly what wrestling needs right now. However, he can't be alone with this. Randy Orton is his close friend. This is no different than Hall/Nash, HBK/HHH, or Flair/Anderson. As heels they were great, and I think Orton along with Cena would be a great heel duo. Orton as the WHC, and Cena WWE champion. Cena turning by himself isn't enough of a build. They would need another story like an Orton heel turn to start it off.
truk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #63 (permalink)
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
 
ROGERTHAT21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,242
ROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missed
Default Re: Here comes another Cena heel turn thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepinItReal View Post
I'm not saying he's as good as the Rock, I'm saying he's pretty much as popular as he was. Major ratings draw, but not as big as Hogan or Austin. If I'm wrong I'd like to hear it, but I think only Hogan or Austin are in a higher category then the other major stars from the modern era. I don't mean to insult anyone by comparison to Cena; HBK and Hart were incredible, but like Cena, they were the big stars during mediocre years for the company. Rock was there when it was really popular, but only because of Austin; the ratings drop which we continue to suffer through today began right around when Austin got his big back injury in November 1999.

Yeah, that's true, I can't say I know he's a nice guy. But I do think he does a great job of realistically playing a nice guy, and realism is all you can ask for in wrestling. The fact that older fans don't like Cena doesn't change the fact that he's doing a great job of playing a very popular character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepinItReal View Post
Fine, Rock is probably bigger than Cena, but Cena is still a massive star today. He's the biggest ratings and merchandise draw. Ratings might be down, but the blame for that goes on everyone else on the roster more than it does Cena.
Do yourself a favor and stop posting. I don't care about your opinion, but to say Cena is anywhere near The Rock's popularity INSIDE OR OUTSIDE of wrestling is extremely stupid. The Rock is quite possibly the most mainstream star in the history of wrestling, your comparison is ludicrous.
__________________

Sig Credit: Bubba-3D
ROGERTHAT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #64 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
KeepinItReal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,234
KeepinItReal needs to take rep more seriousKeepinItReal needs to take rep more seriousKeepinItReal needs to take rep more seriousKeepinItReal needs to take rep more seriousKeepinItReal needs to take rep more seriousKeepinItReal needs to take rep more serious
Default Re: Here comes another Cena heel turn thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGERTHAT21 View Post
Do yourself a favor and stop posting. I don't care about your opinion, but to say Cena is anywhere near The Rock's popularity INSIDE OR OUTSIDE of wrestling is extremely stupid.
Haters be hatin'.
__________________
WWE favorites: Punk, Sheamus, Lesnar, Ambrose, Rollins, Reigns,
Del Rio, Orton, Bryan, Ziggler, Wyatt, Usos, Cesaro, Mysterio, Kane
DGPW: Doi, Yoshino, Tozawa, Yamato, Dragon Kid, BxB Hulk, Ricochet, Super Shisa
NJPW: Okada, Nakamura, Styles ROH: Briscoes, Fish and O'Reilly, Young Bucks
All-Time: Rock, Punk, Lesnar, Angle

KeepinItReal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #65 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
Avon Barksdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 396
Avon Barksdale should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsAvon Barksdale should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsAvon Barksdale should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsAvon Barksdale should be embarassed if they have more than 50 posts
Default Re: Here comes another Cena heel turn thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepinItReal View Post
Haters be hatin'.
It's not hatin when it's the truth
__________________
“I ain’t no suit-wearin’ businessman like you… you know I’m just a gangsta I suppose…”



Avon Barksdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #66 (permalink)
On The 6th Day God Created John Cena
 
Alisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 598
Alisha better hope they're relatively new hereAlisha better hope they're relatively new hereAlisha better hope they're relatively new hereAlisha better hope they're relatively new hereAlisha better hope they're relatively new hereAlisha better hope they're relatively new hereAlisha better hope they're relatively new hereAlisha better hope they're relatively new hereAlisha better hope they're relatively new hereAlisha better hope they're relatively new hereAlisha better hope they're relatively new here
Default Re: Here comes another Cena heel turn thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Jobber View Post
Cena should have kept the MITB briefcase all the way until WM.
Punk and Undertaker have a feud for the WWE title for Undertaker's "last WM match", in a cell.
Undertaker just narrowly beats Punk by way of a tombstone, a table is left set up in the ring however.
Undertaker receives a great ovation from the crowd as his broken and battered body is barely able to stand.
Cena's music hits.
AA through the table, pinning Taker to not only swipe the WWE title but to also end the streak.
He helps Punk up and out of the cell. Two man power trip version 2.0.
Atomic heat.
i like this... this should have happened. Ohwell i guess it's up to WWE creative now. *fingers crossed*
__________________
[center]_*Proud Cena Fan Since 2002*_





98% of the IWC bash John Cena to no end. If you're one of the 2% who are sick to death of it, copy and paste this text into your signature.
[
Alisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #67 (permalink)
Lacing SCOTT STEINER's boots
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,041
TempestH needs to take rep more seriousTempestH needs to take rep more seriousTempestH needs to take rep more seriousTempestH needs to take rep more seriousTempestH needs to take rep more seriousTempestH needs to take rep more seriousTempestH needs to take rep more serious
Default Re: Here comes another Cena heel turn thread

I'd rather Cena stay a face, but be dialed out of the spotlight, like he was at the beginning of the AJ Scandal storyline. The problem with Cena isn't his stale character, it's that he's presented as the center of the WWE Universe. As a face, he can easily step out of the spotlight, but as a heel, the narrative is going to be centered around recapping his heel turn and asking "Why Cena Why?" If Cena turns heel, he'll just continue to be the center of the universe.
TempestH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #68 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
Majesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 397
Majesty should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsMajesty should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsMajesty should be embarassed if they have more than 50 posts
Default Re: Here comes another Cena heel turn thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicslash View Post
Could've happened with the nexus. Should've happened in the Kane feud. When they finally do it, nobody will care.


Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App


I'm glad it didn't happen in the Kane feud because the "Rise Above Hate" shirt and meaning was actually something I really liked and I digged the message a lot.

It's when he was doing the super hero stuff that all felt phony and stale that bothered me. But rising above hate was something I always supported and I'm glad he never shunned.

But the whole superhero always be a good guy stuff was what I wished he'd turned away from. Rising above Hate works for a heel as well as a face to be honest.
__________________
Majesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:38 AM   #69 (permalink)
Working on my abs
 
itssoeasy23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,741
itssoeasy23 needs to make some friendsitssoeasy23 needs to make some friendsitssoeasy23 needs to make some friendsitssoeasy23 needs to make some friendsitssoeasy23 needs to make some friendsitssoeasy23 needs to make some friendsitssoeasy23 needs to make some friendsitssoeasy23 needs to make some friendsitssoeasy23 needs to make some friends
Default Re: Here comes another Cena heel turn thread

What people seem to forget is Hogan was in WCW when he turned heel. They didn't accept his "say your prayers and eat your vitamins" babyface character. WCW was more old school, and the fans who watched it were more old school. They turned Hogan heel because a) it wasn't working nearly as much as it did in WWE and b) because the character in WCW wasn't accepted. WCW was a different product, it's like if John Cena went to ECW and he kept the same character he had in WWE. It would never work, they would have to change it. It's like throwing George Costanza on Friends and him having the same character. Hogan's WWE character didn't "click" with the WCW fanbase. So they turned him heel. The world built around WCW wasn't built for the Hulk Hogan face character. It was built for Sting, Ric Flair, Four Horseman, it was more old school. Hogan's face character was built for WWE, with the larger than life characters, and a over the top look.

It's like trying to force Justin Beiber into a Metal festival and hoping it'll work. It'll never work. Than, he goes to a metal musician for that night and from than on because it was successful. Than, 10 years later the metal fans are clamoring for the next teen star to turn metal in front of the pop audience. WCW is the metal festival and fans, while WWE is the pop audience. Why would the next teen pop star turn metal during a pop concert? Because there's 10 metal fans in the crowd who paid tickets to the show and want him to turn metal?

And than there's the Stone Cold Steve Austin heel turn which is more comparable to a supposed Cena heel turn. 1) Because Austin was in WWE when he turned heel, and 2) he was still massively over and a fan favorite when he turned heel. WWE basically turned him heel just to do it, and it was probably the biggest mistake the company ever made. It was more of a "let's turn him to turn him," which didn't make sense. Less than a year later Austin was a face again.

Cena's the same way, he's still massively over and (to a large portion of the audience) still a fan favorite. He also sells alot of merchandise. Than there's the fact that, to many older fans, he's the bad guy to them. The heel. So essentially, John Cena is the only superstar to be the top face and top heel. If you turn him heel, you risks merchandise sales that come with Cena's top face stature.

And turning him heel would add a different element to his character, yes. To many older fans it'll be a welcomed change. But that's the thing, the older fans will start to cheer him while the younger fans will boo him. Were back to square one. That's probably why WWE never turned Cena heel for a long time, because they know that'll happen and it'll be useless.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution View Post
I also can't believe how much you let Cena ruin your own lives by doing what he does.

You all may make fun of people with "IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMN IT!" for the young kids or marks or whatever, but you guys are even worse than them. You have this deep-seeded legitimate rage for Cena and his fans to the point where you let it affect your day to day life.

Grow up. Seriously.
Quote:
If you don't understand why John Cena wins all the time, maybe professional wrestling is not for you.
itssoeasy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 AM   #70 (permalink)
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
 
ROGERTHAT21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,242
ROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missedROGERTHAT21 probably won't be missed
Default Re: Here comes another Cena heel turn thread


^Your post was spot on.

BTW, Austin said that he decided to turn heel because The Rock was the hotter act. And before you say the Rock as top face failed (because I know you will), it didn't.
__________________

Sig Credit: Bubba-3D
ROGERTHAT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios