Cena 36 - who's next to carry the company? - Page 8 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #71 (permalink)
Learning to break kayfabe
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 84
ibax 50 - 100
Default Re: Cena 36 - who's next to carry the company?

Darren Young.
ibax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #72 (permalink)
Getting over in the mid-card
 
dave 1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,725
dave 1981 6501 - 7000dave 1981 6501 - 7000dave 1981 6501 - 7000dave 1981 6501 - 7000dave 1981 6501 - 7000dave 1981 6501 - 7000dave 1981 6501 - 7000dave 1981 6501 - 7000dave 1981 6501 - 7000dave 1981 6501 - 7000dave 1981 6501 - 7000
Default Re: Cena 36 - who's next to carry the company?

It's quite crazy that people still over look Randy Orton who in my mind will be the stop gap between John Cena and the long term person to replace John Cena seeing as he is 32 years old, the second biggest full time star in the company, has a cemented main event position, believable in the spot, is loved by Vince McMahon and has the perfect look although question marks are still there about his drawing ability and ability to make WWE money in the spot.

In between Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock being the top guys and WWE getting to John Cena they used a group of wrestlers as top guys to carry the company with Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Kane, Booker T and Rob Van Dam on Raw and then The Undertaker, Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, Eddie Guerrero, Edge and Rey Mysterio on SmackDown although some see The Undertaker, Brock Lesnar and Triple H as being the three main people in carrying the company. A similar thing could happen again with Randy Orton, CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, Dolph Ziggler, Wade Barrett, Ryback and Cody Rhodes all carrying the company for a few years between them until someone comes around to do the job on their own.
__________________
dave 1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #73 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
Cack_Thu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 331
Cack_Thu 251 - 500Cack_Thu 251 - 500Cack_Thu 251 - 500
Default Re: Cena 36 - who's next to carry the company?

Anybody noticed Drew Mcintyre turned Face and defeated Ginger Mahal on Superstars?

Dude hit the futureshock DDT - this year's first one i reckon(active competetion wise).

The guy was at one point groomed as the future of the company
Cack_Thu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #74 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
FoxyRoxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 291
FoxyRoxy 251 - 500FoxyRoxy 251 - 500FoxyRoxy 251 - 500FoxyRoxy 251 - 500FoxyRoxy 251 - 500
Default Re: Cena 36 - who's next to carry the company?

Dolph Ziggler? Daniel Bryan? as faces of the company? ahahaha you guys are living in your own little fantasy world. Those guys won't draw for shit. first off they're too small and wimpy to be seen as a credible face of WWE.

I don't think anyone currently on the roster is going to be the next Cena. Sheamus is too old to be considered.. it should be someone younger in their early to mid 20's.
I would have thought someone like Alex Riley would have been a good choice. He looks the part, he's ok in the ring better than when he started, good mic skills and despite the fact he hasn't been a huge feature on RAW for over a year he still gets a good reaction.

Last edited by FoxyRoxy : 09-30-2012 at 12:42 PM.
FoxyRoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #75 (permalink)
Learning to break kayfabe
 
Mr. Fluffykins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 200
Mr. Fluffykins is not that liked
Default Re: Cena 36 - who's next to carry the company?

seth rollins.
__________________
Mr. Fluffykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #76 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fareham, Hampshire, UK
Posts: 288
QuietInRealLife 101 - 250QuietInRealLife 101 - 250
Default Re: Cena 36 - who's next to carry the company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanoi Cheyenne View Post
Bret was 35 when he first won the big belt
Austin was 33
Shawn was 31
This is what makes me suspect that Punk is still in line for the throne, I think that's what his current heel run is all about. As much as I think a full on heel turn was unnecessary, no one can deny that Punk was slowly losing his momentum as a cookie cutter babyface. The initial fire had gone & the fans were slowly losing interest, only the younger fanbase were really still behind Punk & even there he was only getting mild pops.

Give it a few more months and the inevitable backlash from the older fans would've started, which would've snowballed, and we'd have a Cena situation all over again. This heel run freshens up Punk's character and means a face run will feel more fresh when it happens. (It also means WWE won't have a top guy that gets booed by half the audience.

I see this as being a bit likes The Rocks heel run in late 98/99, in that I don't see it lasting beyond wrestlemania/extreme rules.

What they're doing with Punk at the moment is exactly what they should've done with Cena in late 2006. A short heel run that allows him to keep fresh and get over with everyone in the long run.

Last edited by QuietInRealLife : 09-30-2012 at 01:24 PM.
QuietInRealLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #77 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
razzathereaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 793
razzathereaver 1001 - 1500razzathereaver 1001 - 1500razzathereaver 1001 - 1500razzathereaver 1001 - 1500razzathereaver 1001 - 1500razzathereaver 1001 - 1500razzathereaver 1001 - 1500razzathereaver 1001 - 1500razzathereaver 1001 - 1500
Default Re: Cena 36 - who's next to carry the company?

Ricardo Rodriguez? Seriously. He's only 26, which is the perfect age for a new guy to be built as a top face as he's got years and years left in him, he's got decent wrestling talent (better than Shaemus at least), tons of experience on the mic, and has more charisma than most guys on the roster. He's the perfect candidate.
razzathereaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #78 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
RjA323's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 265
RjA323 50 - 100
Default Re: Cena 36 - who's next to carry the company?

Sheamoose!
__________________
RjA323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #79 (permalink)
Working on my abs
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Woodsboro High
Posts: 2,599
JigsawKrueger 1001 - 1500JigsawKrueger 1001 - 1500JigsawKrueger 1001 - 1500JigsawKrueger 1001 - 1500JigsawKrueger 1001 - 1500JigsawKrueger 1001 - 1500JigsawKrueger 1001 - 1500JigsawKrueger 1001 - 1500JigsawKrueger 1001 - 1500
Default Re: Cena 36 - who's next to carry the company?

The guy who carries the company has to have a character that connects with what is relevant socially.

Hulk Hogan had that Regan style idealistic 80's vibe happening - clean living, moral, patriotic. And a body perfect for the era of 'bigger is better'.

Steve Austin was the badass, anti-authority beer drinking anti-hero. Perfect for the era of edginess - South Park, Marilyn Manson, alternative rock and gangsta rap.

John Cena started with the whole hiphop vibe and wrestling's version of Eminem. That was perfect as in 2004 hiphop ruled the charts and Eminem was still pretty big. Cena then morphed into the embodiment of PC. Perfect for post 9/11 and pc environment.
JigsawKrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #80 (permalink)
Proud Coiner of Dub's Vituperative Moniker, He of the Duplicitous Mien
 
DesolationRow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Playing Chess With Caesar the Ape in Muir Woods
Posts: 11,985
DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000DesolationRow 14501 - 15000
Default Re: Cena 36 - who's next to carry the company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Droese View Post
I'm not sure if we'll see another "Cena" emerge in the next couple of years. I don't know if there's anyone on the current roster that can fill that spot. As much as the WWE would love it, Sheamus doesn't have the ability to fully replace someone as versatile as John Cena. He's not as strong in the ring, or on the mic, he doesn't have as much charisma, or marketability. The same could probably be said for Ryback, who I believe might be even less versatile than Sheamus.

What I think we'll get is a collection of superstars who are just below that level (in some cases, quite far below that level). Sheamus, Ryback, Punk, Orton, Bryan, Sandow, Ambrose, Cesaro, Miz, etc. I think that the WWE are making a coinsice effort to strengthen the entire roster, after spending a long period of time solely relying on John Cena - and it's about damn time.

After Cena leaves, we're looking at the new New Generation. A time where there isn't necessarily one "main" guy, but a selection of top-tier talent.
I agree with what you're saying about the collection of talent, generally, but Cena's not going anywhere for at least several years at minimum. He may begin to slow down in two or three years as he slowly approaches age forty, but he's still going to be around for a fairly significant amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave 1981 View Post
It's quite crazy that people still over look Randy Orton who in my mind will be the stop gap between John Cena and the long term person to replace John Cena seeing as he is 32 years old, the second biggest full time star in the company, has a cemented main event position, believable in the spot, is loved by Vince McMahon and has the perfect look although question marks are still there about his drawing ability and ability to make WWE money in the spot.

In between Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock being the top guys and WWE getting to John Cena they used a group of wrestlers as top guys to carry the company with Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Kane, Booker T and Rob Van Dam on Raw and then The Undertaker, Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, Eddie Guerrero, Edge and Rey Mysterio on SmackDown although some see The Undertaker, Brock Lesnar and Triple H as being the three main people in carrying the company. A similar thing could happen again with Randy Orton, CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, Dolph Ziggler, Wade Barrett, Ryback and Cody Rhodes all carrying the company for a few years between them until someone comes around to do the job on their own.
I concur with a great deal of your second paragraph, but as far as your opening paragraph is concerned, there is no way Orton is going ot be given the keys to the kingdom as the top babyface, even as an interim choice. Unlike Cena, Orton gets no thrill from being a top babyface anyway. Moreover, Orton's time has come and gone as far as him being a potential #1 babyface is concerned. Two years ago it seemed like it was at least conceivable, but no more. He's sitting on two strikes, his character is becoming nearly as stale as Cena's and he's never proven he can substantively draw on his own at the very top, so Vince isn't going to go there. Furthermore, with all of his concussions, shoulder injuries and general wear and tear, Orton is an old "32." By contrast, Sheamus is a couple of years older but has far less mileage on him, is more innately personable than Orton (particularly when we measure their face characters against one another), has no strikes, personally or professionally, against him. WWE tries to get Orton a movie project in Marine 3 and the military speaks out because of his AWOL history. He doesn't care for the media and promotional appearances; by contrast, Sheamus is far more open to all of it, as are other guys like The Miz and several others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietInRealLife View Post
This is what makes me suspect that Punk is still in line for the throne, I think that's what his current heel run is all about. As much as I think a full on heel turn was unnecessary, no one can deny that Punk was slowly losing his momentum as a cookie cutter babyface. The initial fire had gone & the fans were slowly losing interest, only the younger fanbase were really still behind Punk & even there he was only getting mild pops.

Give it a few more months and the inevitable backlash from the older fans would've started, which would've snowballed, and we'd have a Cena situation all over again. This heel run freshens up Punk's character and means a face run will feel more fresh when it happens. (It also means WWE won't have a top guy that gets booed by half the audience.

I see this as being a bit likes The Rocks heel run in late 98/99, in that I don't see it lasting beyond wrestlemania/extreme rules.

What they're doing with Punk at the moment is exactly what they should've done with Cena in late 2006. A short heel run that allows him to keep fresh and get over with everyone in the long run.
Punk might even turn back babyface next year but I tend to doubt he'll ever be cleared to be the top babyface, especially for any genuinely lengthy period of time. He could be a stopgap of sorts, certainly, in that babyface role, but probably not much more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzathereaver View Post
Ricardo Rodriguez? Seriously. He's only 26, which is the perfect age for a new guy to be built as a top face as he's got years and years left in him, he's got decent wrestling talent (better than Shaemus at least), tons of experience on the mic, and has more charisma than most guys on the roster. He's the perfect candidate.
__________________
DesolationRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios