**The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here) - Page 762 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums

View Poll Results: Do Wrestlers Draw, Or Does the WWE Brand Draw?

Wrestlers Draw 251 39.53%
WWE Brand draws 384 60.47%
Voters: 635. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #7611 (permalink)
Best For Business
 
Starbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,800
Starbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREW
Default Re: **The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblvdx View Post
I think you got hooked up on my first complaint of believability. What about the fact he's been wrestling in OVW/FCW since 2004 and WWE didn't trust him to work 10 mins on a main event of a PPV for the WWE championship? That a huge, gaping problem IMO that those who you compared my former complaint too didn't/don't have that problem.
What's with all this WWE didn't trust him crap? His gimmick is to be a monster. Why would he need 10 minutes inside HIAC to beat a guy WWE have told us he can easily dominate? What does it matter how long he's been in developmental for? He's getting a chance now and so far it seems to be working. People like him. If they didn't they wouldn't be chanting with/for him. I agree that eventually he will have to wrestle longer matches and the unbeatable aura surrounding him will gradually disappear but not right now only a month into his main event push. They should still be working to establish that aura not trying to destroy it by having Punk match him and take him to the limit inside HIAC of all places. He's a monster. He doesn't need 10+ minutes to beat people, not yet anyways. You're basically saying your problem stems from the fact that he was in developmental longer than usual and has a stupid catchphrase. So what? I'm not even a Ryback fan but your reasons for hating on the guy are a bit ridiculous. Like Nearfall has pointed out, you're quick to call Ryback a failure and pathetic when his segments lose viewers but when it happens to Punk somehow it isn't his fault. Double standards much? If Ryback is a ratings failure then so is Punk. If Punk is a ratings success then so is Ryback. You can't have it both ways.
Starbuck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 11-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #7612 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Evil Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 991
Evil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsEvil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsEvil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsEvil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsEvil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 posts
Default Re: **The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblvdx View Post
How is a man who only says feed me more believable in any sense of the word? imagine someone who hasn't watched wrestling before and seeing a jacked up grown man lifting his arms up and down shouting FEED ME MORE over and over again. They would think its ultra lame and stupid and only lends to more evidence as to why wrestling isn't cool anymore.

fresh? even though we saw the exact same character done a million times better 13 year ago?

And if WWE intends to have him as a maineventer in the future he will have to work over 15 min matches damn near every week, and if WWE don't even trust him to work 3 mins on TV and 10 mins on PPV, EVEN THOUGH HE HAS BEEN IN WWE DEVELOPMENTAL FOR 8 FUCKING YEARS! then what the hell can you do with him? what more help can he possibly need?

Sooner or later he'll be horribly exposed and WWE will give up on him. I guarantee it. Its happened before with dozens of big men, nothing leads me to believe Ryback will be an exception.
I have to agree here. Ryback looks like a little kid when he stands there repeating "feed me more" and flapping his arms. It starts getting more unbelievable when you notice that he actually never really says much else, regardless of who he interacts with, so he actually comes across as more retarded than Eugene (as someone said in the thread), but for some reason no one on the show ever points that out.

For that to be believable I think you have to find some real life analog to compare it to, and I have never seen anything remotely like that (save for kids playing and perhaps retarded people). Could you imagine Alistair Overeem going into the cage if JDS beats Velasquez and start flapping his arms and shout "feed me more"? When Rogan comes to interview him he just keeps repeating his phrase, or at best changes it to "feed me Dos Santos". He'd be the laughing stock of MMA. And before anyone says that wrestling characters don't work in real life, I'll remind people that Chael Sonnen is pretty much doing the CM Punk act and has talked himself into title matches in two weight classes.

As for it not being fresh to be a copy of Goldberg, I'd also say that the unstoppable monster isn't exactly an underused gimmick either. Big Show always does it as a heel, Mark Henry did a short but memorable thing with it a year ago, Tensai was brought in to do it, etc. But being booked to look unbeatable just isn't much of a character and it's not that impressive in a scripted sport.

I also agree that he looks really untalented in the ring, seeing how he's actually been in the business for a pretty long time and still don't look very good or is allowed to put on longer matches. As you say he will have to start wrestling the longer matches if he stays in the main event scene but how much room can there actually be to improve after 8 years? People were saying that he was being a sponge when he was taught by Punk at house shows but we still didn't get anything good at HIAC. Punk has had good matches with very varied kinds of opponents, but this was probably one of his worst main events in WWE.

So I certainly hope you're right and that they find someone with strong overall talent (that you can depend on for promos and long matches) to be pushed instead.
Evil Peter is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #7613 (permalink)
Working on my abs
 
The Cynical Miracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: u.k
Posts: 2,998
The Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missed
Default Re: **The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFall View Post
Two bad segments and you call Ryback a failure. But when somebody ESTABLISHED like Punk gets 2 bad segements you call it "an off day" or "the storyline sucks". You should not double standard like that. And for the record, RyBack was not the full quater holder in either of those quaters. Filler stuff occupied it too(like Be-A-Star and a Sheamus doll).



What about these:

An Undead Funeral Director

A man who refers to himself in third person and used catchphrases all the time

A redneck who guzzled beer and hated his boss

A champion who doesn't weigh more than 210 pounds and is referred to ON-SCREEN as "skinnyfat"

A man who wears a rainbow of colours and acts like a boyscout


Its wrestling, when you're over with the crowd, you're over and popular.
Damn it seems like I'm fighting off the world here loll

CM Punk is never celebrated as being a big draw unlike for reason Ryback is (and I'm not saying CM Punk is a big draw, he isn't). I'm just stressing to some people that Ryback isn't either.

And the people listed above were actual characters, please someone explain to me what the fuck Ryback is supposed to be?

And everyone should stop getting hung up on my believability criticism and focus and the bigger problem, that he's been wrestling in developmental for 8 years and WWE don't trust him to wrestle 10 mins on a main event of a PPV and 3 mins on TV. I dare anyone to defend him when it comes to this aspect.
__________________
The Cynical Miracle is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #7614 (permalink)
Best For Business
 
Starbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,800
Starbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREW
Default Re: **The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here)

If you dislike him because you don't think he can work a match or because you don't find him entertaining then that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that. But if you dislike him because he was in developmental too long and has a silly catchphrase, that's just being silly. Ryback certainly isn't without his faults. I don't think he's particularly good in the ring. Hell, I witness first hand a Punk/Ryback match at a house show last night and it boring as shit. But there is a place for Ryback's in WWE and I'm certainly not going to hate on the guy because he was in developmental longer than usual. What reason is that to hate on somebody? Again you're coming with this WWE don't trust him to do x, y, z stuff but I don't know how you can say that. His gimmick dictates what they let him do. Why would they have him wrestle 15 minutes matches on Raw when he's supposed to be a squashing machine? Why would they put him inside HIAC with a much smaller guy and be forced to go 25 minutes when it would make him look horrible? Your reasons for disliking him are stupid tbh.
Starbuck is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #7615 (permalink)
Working on my abs
 
The Cynical Miracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: u.k
Posts: 2,998
The Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missed
Default Re: **The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
If you dislike him because you don't think he can work a match or because you don't find him entertaining then that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that. But if you dislike him because he was in developmental too long and has a silly catchphrase, that's just being silly. Ryback certainly isn't without his faults. I don't think he's particularly good in the ring. Hell, I witness first hand a Punk/Ryback match at a house show last night and it boring as shit. But there is a place for Ryback's in WWE and I'm certainly not going to hate on the guy because he was in developmental longer than usual. What reason is that to hate on somebody?
Its not because he was in developmental for nearly a decade as to why I don't like him. Its the fact that he was in developmental for nearly ten years and he's still this mediocre and this green is baffling to me. What more help can he possibly need to improve? the FEED ME MORE wackiness is only the cherry on top.
__________________
The Cynical Miracle is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #7616 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Evil Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 991
Evil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsEvil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsEvil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsEvil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsEvil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 posts
Default Re: **The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
How is a short junkie looking guy who says he's the best in the world believable when his manager looks more intimidating than him?

How is a guy in jorts and colorful t-shirts who cuts some of the most ridiculous promos and gets shit on by half the crowd every night believable?

How is a guy who pretends to be dead believable?

How is a guy who talks in the third person and constantly tries to get shit trending on twitter believable?

How is a guy with a larger than usual nose who constantly references his dick believable?

You really want to go that route? Ryback hasn't exactly set the world on fire but he has appeal. He may not appeal to you but that doesn't mean that he can't appeal to others. I'm not completely sold on him but I'm not going to shit all over him because he's getting a chance. You whine and bitched for how long about Punk never getting a chance. Now other people are getting chances and suddenly it's a horrible thing that should never happen. Stop crying. If you're so certain Ryback is going to fail then wait it out and he'll be gone in a couple of months. What's the problem?
You've never seen people claim that they are the best even when they aren't? I've seen that countless times in real life so that's believable. It's of course special who can win a wrestling match because wrestling has it's own set of rules and physics but we were talking about characters.

Apart from the shirts it sounds like you're talking about Jon Jones (UFC LHW champ). He says a lot of dumb and corny things and wants to be liked but is disliked by a good amount of the fanbase for being fake.

A guy that pretends to be dead is unbelievable and it's always clashed with the more modern style of wrestling environment. Especially since he's not always pretending but can actually perform magic.

What's supposed to be unbelievable about someone talking about himself in third person and using Twitter? That can't happen in real life? It has. The same goes for having a big nose and talking about his dick.

The thing was that Ryback acts incredibly strange since he's never talking normally, which we knows because we've seen him in all kinds of scenarios (backstage with his boss, with someone from Subway, in interviews, in in-ring promos, during matches etc). Just because there are other unbelievable characters doesn't mean that you have to agree when someone calls Ryback's character believable (which was what generated the notion that he wasn't believable, it wasn't dragged up out of nowhere).

Last edited by Evil Peter : 11-08-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Evil Peter is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #7617 (permalink)
FEAR THE BROCKTAGON
 
JY57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 10,855
JY57 is getting a pushJY57 is getting a pushJY57 is getting a pushJY57 is getting a pushJY57 is getting a pushJY57 is getting a pushJY57 is getting a pushJY57 is getting a pushJY57 is getting a pushJY57 is getting a pushJY57 is getting a push
Default Re: **The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here)

people can talk trash about Ryback all they want and blame him for bad ratings (their opinions, nothing wrong with that). In the end doesn't really matter, because Vince is obsessed with the guy and sees him as one of his top faces of the future. And right now that is what Vince is going to do (push him and push him even more). He won't be 1 or 2, but he can easily be in the top 5 of the company, as long as Vince is around. Have no idea what HHH and Stephanie think of the guy, so who knows what they will do with him once Vince is gone.
__________________
http://images.wikia.com/deusex/en/images/e/e7/Adam_Jensen_Concept.jpg
JY57 is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #7618 (permalink)
Best For Business
 
Starbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,800
Starbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREWStarbuck is new to the CHATBOX CREW
Default Re: **The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblvdx View Post
Its not because he was in developmental for nearly a decade as to why I don't like him. Its the fact that he was in developmental for nearly ten years and he's still this mediocre and this green is baffling to me. What more help can he possibly need to improve? the FEED ME MORE wackiness is only the cherry on top.
That's fair. Simply disliking him because he was in developmental longer that usual just seemed very childish to me tbh. I don't have an issue with Feed Me More. Some of the most iconic catchphrases of all time are ridiculous. As long as they're over, it isn't a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Peter View Post
You've never seen people claim that they are the best even when they aren't? I've seen that countless times in real life so that's believable. It's of course special who can win a wrestling match because wrestling has it's own set of rules and physics but we were talking about characters.

Apart from the shirts it sounds like you're talking about Jon Jones (UFC LHW champ). He says a lot of dumb and corny things and wants to be liked but is disliked by a good amount of the fanbase for being fake.

A guy that pretends to be dead is unbelievable and it's always clashed with the more modern style of wrestling environment. Especially since he's not always pretending but can actually perform magic.

What's supposed to be unbelievable about someone talking about himself in third person and using Twitter? That can't happen in real life? It has. The same goes for having a big nose and talking about his dick.

The thing was that Ryback acts incredibly strange since he's never talking normally, which we knows because we've seen him in all kinds of scenarios (backstage with his boss, with someone from Subway, in interviews, in in-ring promos, during matches etc). Just because there are other unbelievable characters doesn't mean that you have to agree when someone calls Ryback's character believable.
You're watching a wrestling program. If you can accept a deadguy as a believable character you should be able to give most things a go. Ryback is a huge dominating monster. He doesn't need to talk to get his character across. He goes to the ring, he destroys people, he chants and he leaves. He isn't wildly sophisticated or complex. That's what he does. It's simple and it has appeal otherwise he wouldn't be over and people wouldn't care. Like I said before, is he taking the wrestling world by storm and causing a revolution in viewership with his push? No. But CM Punk didn't last year and neither did Randy Orton the year before that when Raw was all about him. He's something different and I'm not about to hate on somebody because of their catchphrase of all things.
Starbuck is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #7619 (permalink)
Moron
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,681
The-Rock-Says The-Rock-Says The-Rock-Says The-Rock-Says The-Rock-Says The-Rock-Says The-Rock-Says The-Rock-Says The-Rock-Says The-Rock-Says The-Rock-Says
Default Re: **The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here)

People on here have said they've seen him wrestle before Ryback and he's a decent worker.

But as Starbuck says, his gimmick right now is to be this big monster face that fucks people up quick and easy, Putting him in 15 min matches right now kinda ruins the aura around him.
The-Rock-Says is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #7620 (permalink)
AND YOU SHINE MY SHOES IF I WANT YOU TO
 
Rock316AE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9,543
Rock316AE has made a name for themselvesRock316AE has made a name for themselvesRock316AE has made a name for themselvesRock316AE has made a name for themselvesRock316AE has made a name for themselvesRock316AE has made a name for themselvesRock316AE has made a name for themselvesRock316AE has made a name for themselvesRock316AE has made a name for themselvesRock316AE has made a name for themselvesRock316AE has made a name for themselves
Default Re: **The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here)

Quote:
imagine someone who hasn't watched wrestling before and seeing a jacked up grown man lifting his arms up and down shouting FEED ME MORE over and over again. They would think its ultra lame and stupid and only lends to more evidence as to why wrestling isn't cool anymore.
I can agree with that in the same way I said in the past that big guys shouldn't be selling for a skinny guy like Punk, Bryan doing the horrendous YES act, or team "Hell No" doing their "I'm the tag champions" act. When something is so goofy and unrealistic in a main event character, it can hurt the general audience's interest. And I'm not talking Taker here because he's 100% a wrestling character. Ryback can definitely try to get the "Feed Me More" chant over in a different way(It's already over big, like you saw on RAW, they're chanting it when he's not even in the ring), like what he does in the matches with the fist motion. Other than the taunt, he's completely believable in every aspect. His presence and facial expressions are always spot on, he looks visually impressive every time he wrestles.

As for the length of the matches. Why do you want to book him in 15-20 minutes matches when the basis of his character is that he can kill his opponents in 2 minutes? It's the same thing with the tag match on RAW, why you want to see him in the ring selling and Cena gets a hot tag, when he's not supposed to sell? He already dominated Punk 4-5 times, why suddenly you want them to book him to sell for him for 6-7 minutes just so Cena can get the pin? It was a simple booking, Ryback is booked above the roster, nobody is a threat to him yet. It doesn't matter how many years he was in OVW because in this kind of character, the booking execution is critical to keep the aura. It's much more important for him to be protected and destroy everybody, than to wrestle a regular 10 minute match, to sell or to do new moves. They chose to create this character and to make him a main eventer, they need to protect him and that's what they're doing now. Goldberg did it better *13 years ago*, so yeah, Ryback is fresh and it's working because like I said, the majority of the audience that was there when Goldberg was a megastar is no longer watching or following wrestling. Ryback is already hot and making a difference on PPV a month into his main event run, that just shows his huge potential.

Last edited by Rock316AE : 11-08-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Rock316AE is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios