Jay Z is overrated. - Page 20 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 07-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #191 (permalink)
Meltzer said I'm a good worker
 
kobra860's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,942
kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000
Default Re: Jay Z is overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartBreak&Triumph View Post
Okay what? Have you even listened to BIG? I actually wouldn't argue anyone saying BIGGIE is the greatest because a case can be made. Ready to Die is a top 5 ever in hip hop probably, along with Enter the 36 Chambers, Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt and the Chronic off the top of my head.

Rating Eminem, Cube and especially Eazy fucking E ahead of The Notorious BIG shows you have no knowledge on the matter. Eazy-E is one of the most overrated rappers of all time, trully bad. Eminem was great, still nowhere near the best ever. Jay Z is actually a far better rapper than Eminem.
Most people that are into hip hop would tell you that Eminem isn't even top 10 ever, let alone the best ever.
Ice Cube is way better than BIG. Just because he had one classic album with some nice party songs that doesn't mean that BIG should be in the top 5 or top 10. Honestly, no one could make a strong argument for BIG being #1.
__________________
Thank you Edge.

Chris Jericho, The Shield, CM Punk, Fandango, Daniel Bryan, Primetime Players, Zack Ryder, Dolph Ziggler, The Miz, Alex Riley

Christian, Mark Henry, Damien Sandow, Randy Orton, Cody Rhodes, Kaitlyn, AJ

TNA: Mr. Anderson, Madison Rayne, Velvet Sky, Samoa Joe, Austin Aries, Kazarian & Daniels

kobra860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 07-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #192 (permalink)
Special Attraction at Wrestlemania
 
Choke2Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 20,494
Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000
Default Re: Jay Z is overrated.

I'd like you to point out where I EVER said Eazy-E is better than Biggie? I never said that, so stop making shit up. And Eminem is not in my top 10, and probably not above Biggie. Ice Cube is easily in top 5 alongside Rakim, Kool G Rap, Big Daddy Kane and Chuck D, for me anyways. Biggie would be placed somewhere around 12. He was an excellent rapper with too much skills but his life was cut short so his discography did not reach full potential. That is unfair to him but certainly not an excuse to put him higher than he should be.

I'd take Fear of a Black Planet, Death Certificate and AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted over all the 5 albums you mentioned although they are all classics and some of them belong in my top 10.

I don't rank rappers based purely on technical rapping skills, I take discography and overall consistency into account as well. Therefore, Biggie falls short.
__________________
Choke2Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #193 (permalink)
Little Poppa Pump
 
HeartBreak&Triumph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maple in a moonlit night
Posts: 2,124
HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000
Default Re: Jay Z is overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobra860 View Post
Ice Cube is way better than BIG. Just because he had one classic album with some nice party songs that doesn't mean that BIG should be in the top 5 or top 10. Honestly, no one could make a strong argument for BIG being #1.
If you could enlighten me as to what aspect of hip hop is Cube better than BIG that'd be great.
at choketodeath ; Then I apologise, it seems we have different criteria judging greatness.
__________________
Aku. Soku. Zan.
HeartBreak&Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #194 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
BigWillie54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 1,202
BigWillie54 251 - 500BigWillie54 251 - 500BigWillie54 251 - 500BigWillie54 251 - 500
Default

Quote:
Quote:
Okay what? Have you even listened to BIG? I actually wouldn't argue anyone saying BIGGIE is the greatest because a case can be made. Ready to Die is a top 5 ever in hip hop probably, along with Enter the 36 Chambers, Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt and the Chronic off the top of my head.

Rating Eminem, Cube and especially Eazy fucking E ahead of The Notorious BIG shows you have no knowledge on the matter. Eazy-E is one of the most overrated rappers of all time, trully bad. Eminem was great, still nowhere near the best ever. Jay Z is actually a far better rapper than Eminem.
Most people that are into hip hop would tell you that Eminem isn't even top 10 ever, let alone the best ever.
Ice Cube is way better than BIG. Just because he had one classic album with some nice party songs that doesn't mean that BIG should be in the top 5 or top 10. Honestly, no one could make a strong argument for BIG being #1.

Lol......i normally dont say this in public forums but


..........you crazy

Sent from my MB612 using VerticalSports.Com App
__________________
http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/tdomf/67545/soccersucks-500x388.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adramelech View Post
Does anyone else have brief moments of clarity while watching stuff like this?

any questions?

Like for a split second, you just forget everything you know about TNA and say "Holy shit, I'm watching Kurt Angle wrestle Sting in clown make-up on PPV in 2011 in front of 800 non-paying tourists at an amusement park." to yourself? Shit is surreal man.
BigWillie54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #195 (permalink)
Meltzer said I'm a good worker
 
kobra860's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,942
kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000
Default Re: Jay Z is overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartBreak&Triumph View Post
If you could enlighten me as to what aspect of hip hop is Cube better than BIG that'd be great.
Better lyrical content, more versatile with the subjects in his songs, his early albums all were very good, and storytelling abilities that were on the same level of BIG.
__________________
Thank you Edge.

Chris Jericho, The Shield, CM Punk, Fandango, Daniel Bryan, Primetime Players, Zack Ryder, Dolph Ziggler, The Miz, Alex Riley

Christian, Mark Henry, Damien Sandow, Randy Orton, Cody Rhodes, Kaitlyn, AJ

TNA: Mr. Anderson, Madison Rayne, Velvet Sky, Samoa Joe, Austin Aries, Kazarian & Daniels

kobra860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #196 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
BTNH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,273
BTNH 501 - 1000BTNH 501 - 1000BTNH 501 - 1000BTNH 501 - 1000BTNH 501 - 1000BTNH 501 - 1000
Default Re: Jay Z is overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Jobber View Post
Illmatic laughs at this.

And lol @ Eminem being in the GOAT discussion.
Ready To Die is much better than Illmatic if you ask me. I LOVE Illmatic as well and respect its influence, but it aint on Ready To Die's level. Biggie combined lyricism with flow and made it almost "fun" if you will. Nas is great but you can't deny a monotony to his style. B.I.G was fantastic.

In regards to Jay Z, is he overrated? Yes. Hell if you showed me this thread 6 months ago, I would agree religiously and be attacking Jay Z. However the more you listen to him, the more you appreciate him. He is certainly a great rapper with several classic songs under his belt. Reasonable Doubt is also a fantastic album. If you like Hip Hop/Rap you NEED to have Reasonable Doubt no exceptions. However is he as great as some make him out to be? Nope. He doesn't come close to 'Pac for example if you ask me.

I'm hearing a lot of shit about Eazy E. Just wanna clear this shit up about Eazy lol. Eazy was NEVER a rapper. Let me reiterate, Eazy E was never a rapper. Eazy was always the businessman behind Ruthless Records, it was Ice Cube who wanted him to rap Boyz In Tha Hood because Eazy had a unique voice which people liked. After that he most certainly thought "shit I can run my label and throw in a bit of my own music for extra cash." Eazy never intended himself to be a great rapper, he was the brains hence why he is called the "Godfather of Gangsta Rap." He was never a great rapper and he probably knew himself that. Nonetheless he dropped a couple of bangers during his time, Real Motherphukin G's for example and he is a God for putting out Bone Thugs
__________________

Last edited by BTNH : 07-02-2012 at 08:20 PM.
BTNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #197 (permalink)
Little Poppa Pump
 
HeartBreak&Triumph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maple in a moonlit night
Posts: 2,124
HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000
Default Re: Jay Z is overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobra860 View Post
Better lyrical content, more versatile with the subjects in his songs, his early albums all were very good, and storytelling abilities that were on the same level of BIG.
I think Biggie is a better storyteller, Biggie's best album shits all over Cube's best,Biggie also had far better flow.
Although, I think Cube is an underrated rapper, on pure skill BIG edges it for me.
__________________
Aku. Soku. Zan.
HeartBreak&Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #198 (permalink)
Meltzer said I'm a good worker
 
kobra860's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,942
kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000kobra860 4501 - 5000
Default Re: Jay Z is overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartBreak&Triumph View Post
I think Biggie is a better storyteller, Biggie's best album shits all over Cube's best,Biggie also had far better flow.
Although, I think Cube is an underrated rapper, on pure skill BIG edges it for me.
I only agree with your point that BIG had a better flow. BIG had skills but what good is it when he makes repetitive songs about the same materialistic things?
__________________
Thank you Edge.

Chris Jericho, The Shield, CM Punk, Fandango, Daniel Bryan, Primetime Players, Zack Ryder, Dolph Ziggler, The Miz, Alex Riley

Christian, Mark Henry, Damien Sandow, Randy Orton, Cody Rhodes, Kaitlyn, AJ

TNA: Mr. Anderson, Madison Rayne, Velvet Sky, Samoa Joe, Austin Aries, Kazarian & Daniels

kobra860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #199 (permalink)
Little Poppa Pump
 
HeartBreak&Triumph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maple in a moonlit night
Posts: 2,124
HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000HeartBreak&Triumph 2501 - 3000
Default Re: Jay Z is overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobra860 View Post
I only agree with your point that BIG had a better flow. BIG had skills but what good is it when he makes repetitive songs about the same materialistic things?
He actually rapped about a variety of topics ranging from his drug dealing past in the song 10 Commandments, to humorous songs such as Just Playing, to love songs such as Me and my Bitch. To be fair though, I actually agree with Cube being more versatile.
__________________
Aku. Soku. Zan.
HeartBreak&Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #200 (permalink)
Special Attraction at Wrestlemania
 
Choke2Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 20,494
Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000
Default Re: Jay Z is overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartBreak&Triumph View Post
I think Biggie is a better storyteller, Biggie's best album shits all over Cube's best,Biggie also had far better flow.
Although, I think Cube is an underrated rapper, on pure skill BIG edges it for me.
I think they are even in terms of storytelling. Once Upon a Time in the Projects, It Was a Good Day, Alive on Arrival etc. Cube is an amazing storyteller. I think Nas and Scarface are above both in terms of storytelling, though. And can't forget Slick Rick!

I think Death Certificate is the greatest hip-hop album ever, which means > Ready to Die. And like said, he's more versatile than Biggie ever was, which is another + for me.
__________________
Choke2Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios