The 2013 MOTYC Thread - Page 12 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 2541 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Humbled
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WHERE THE BUFFALO ROAM
Posts: 15,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
re: The 2013 MOTYC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervosa View Post
Yeah, but some people dont like old WWF style and REALLY dont like everything else suffering just for spectacle style. I can't say I'm a huge fan of either of those things.

I'd love to call bullshit on anyone saying it was better than the DOMINION match, but to each their own. I still give it ****1/4 but I can see enough problems with it to make some give it less than four. I could even see a case for this being the weakest of their three matches, although I certainly wouldn't agree with that, either.
Maybe. The WWF style is definitely not my favorite. But I'll take STORY over STYLE every damn time. It's just right thing to do.
Chismo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #112 of 2541 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Little Poppa Pump
 
asdf0501's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
                     
re: The 2013 MOTYC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywall2breakerj View Post

Well sorry, you must hate every Misawa-Kobashi singles match ever then cause it was way worse there. For a random example, the Cena-Punk matches have the same "problem". They were fighting for control. It's always been a part of "epicly" structured puroresu matches and it isn't going away. Complaining about something so basic is laughable.
If someone is fighting for control the normal thing is fight until someone gain control, no mantain things in "status quo" and then pass to the other stage of the match. This is one of the problems in current puroresu, there are secuences in many matches that seems just filler until the portion of the match in wich the wrestlers begin to throw the bombs.

Is the same thing with the strikes secuences. Every current puroresu match seems to have a mandatory one when the majority of time one or the two wrestlers have awful strikes and at the end doesn't mean anything in the match context

That is the reason why in the Cena-Punk match the chain wrestling at the begining is a good thing, yes they fight for control and Cena get the best because he wrestles like the veteran who is focus only in a victory. Same with the Kobashi-Misawa matches but yes i have no problem saying for example that the 2003 NOAH match between them is heavily flawed



http://www.wrestlingforum.com/signaturepics/sigpic187936_15.gif

Only one is a wanderer, two together are always going somewhere.
asdf0501 is offline  
post #113 of 2541 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Nervosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 796
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
re: The 2013 MOTYC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRulz View Post
Maybe. The WWF style is definitely not my favorite. But I'll take STORY over STYLE every damn time. It's just right thing to do.
See its interesting you say that considering I think the story in the latest okada/tanahashi match really suffered because they went for style instead, especially when you compare it to the great story of the dominion match. I'm really glad you enjoyed it so much, though. Even if I don't exactly agree.



Credit for sig goes to: CHAMPviaDQ
Nervosa is offline  
post #114 of 2541 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Lacing SCOTT STEINER's boots
 
Cactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
re: The 2013 MOTYC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRulz View Post
I seriously call bullshit on people giving Tana/Okada ANYTHING less than ****. It was a beautiful match, it was what WWF style used to be, spectacle style over everything else. The best Dome main event in fucking years.
I gave it *** and I thought it was pretty boring for the most part. It felt like they went the distance for the hell of it and both men really don't know how to work an interesting control segment. The only way I can see it getting ****+ from me if they swapped that long and droney opening 20 minute period for a fun 5 minute sprint that could of established everything they did in the actual match.

I thought the ending was pretty decent and did feel much more of a spectacle than your typical NJPW main event. It felt like a good Wrestlemania main event; it's just the mind numbingly boring opening that brings it down.

Whenever, I rewatch a NJPW main event or see one that I know the result of, I find it very hard to rate it ****+ and I think there's good reason for that. I believe people get sucked into the actual result of a match and really do overrate these NJPW main events. I do think in 5 years, people will look back and think how they overrated NJPW's main events. I don't believe the actual ring-work is anything too special and people just get sucked into the near-falls.
Cactus is offline  
post #115 of 2541 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER
 
cablegeddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
       
re: The 2013 MOTYC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRulz View Post
I seriously call bullshit on people giving Tana/Okada ANYTHING less than ****. It was a beautiful match, it was what WWF style used to be, spectacle style over everything else. The best Dome main event in fucking years.
I give it 4 stars but I thought Suzuki-Tanahasi at King of Pro wrestling was better and I liked Kurt Angle's match against Nagata at Wrestlekingdom 2 better as well.

WRESTLEMANIA X7 - EVOLUTION 2004 - EXTREME RULES 2011
cablegeddon is offline  
post #116 of 2541 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
re: The 2013 MOTYC Thread

WrestleKingdom VII
Yuji Nagata v. Minoru Suzuki ****
Prince Devitt v. Low Ki V. Kota Ibushi ****1/4
Hiroshi Tanahashi v. Kazuchika Okada ****1/2

Entire Show was amazing, I have Nakamura V. Sakuraba at ***3/4.
ddog121 is offline  
post #117 of 2541 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Nervosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 796
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
re: The 2013 MOTYC Thread

Rewatched Okada/Tanahashi and I'm sticking with ****1/4. I could be talked into lowering it, but certainly no higher.

Really confused by people who were saying Tanahashi looked better and that he was the reason this match was good. Every great thing in this match for me was done by Okada and every complaint I have is with Tanahashi.

Whats the best thing in the match? The Cloverleaf. Why? Because Okada sells it like death, and times his escape to perfectly pop the crowd.

Whats the worst thing? Tanahashi shrugs off every bit of neckwork that Okada painstakingly applies, and its almost forgotten by the end of the match. Tanahashi's poor selling, a problem years ago, but greatly improved in the past year, rears its ugly head. Okada's tombstone is meant to feel like a deathblow. It was in the dominion match. Here, because Tanahashi makes the crowd forget the neckwork, it takes a whole lot of air out of that nearfall, and as a result, the whole match feels like Okada was never really that close to winning.

But that's the problem, isn't it? Tanahashi has just gotta be superman every time.

The booking of this match is just devastating. Granted, I think I have removed that bias from my rating. The Dominion match was #3 on my MOTY list last year, and I'm not too much more disappointed here than I was then. But it has to be said...what a dreadful decision. Okada was the hottest thing in wrestling, with more Buzz than I have seen around one japanese wrestler in at least 6 years. And you snuff him out so your stale ace can have more played-out, overdone, routine title matches. This match should have made Tanahashi's win at Dominion look like a fluke: instead, they have made Okada look like a fluke.

To paraphase some guy:
"I don't hate you, (Tanahashi), I don't even dislike you. I like you a hell out of a lot more than I like (most wrestlers)
I hate this idea that you're the best."


That's my problem, ultimately, with Tanahashi. I'm tired of the 5th best heavyweight in the company beating all the guys who are better than him over and over. I just wish he was booked the way the 5th best heavyweight should be booked.

But what the hell do I know? He draws, right? That's all that matters I guess. Money talks. But there was finally a guy who was not only a better wrestler but seemed to have the same marketability as Tanahashi, and they just completely derailed all the work they put into him for the last year. It's not even that I'm so mad about the Wrestle Kingdom Result: its that Okada winning at Wrestle Kingdom is the only way Tnahashi winning at Dominion even made sense.



Credit for sig goes to: CHAMPviaDQ
Nervosa is offline  
post #118 of 2541 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Moron
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Waiting for Shinskay vs Okada at the Dome!
Posts: 3,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
re: The 2013 MOTYC Thread

tbf to new japan they may have just been protecting their asset because okada could be moving on. it's not like they randomly said "let's blow this and have tanahashi beat the hottest wrestler in japan atm". if they did say that then i am disappoint but i'd like to think that's not the case.

i wouldn't have minded seeing Okada win and then drop it in feb or april just for the epic dome moment and because he'll draw huge in his first defense but i understand not wanting him to have it if he's leaving.
bigbuxxx is offline  
post #119 of 2541 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 06:45 AM
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER
 
cablegeddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
       
re: The 2013 MOTYC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervosa View Post
Okada's tombstone is meant to feel like a deathblow. It was in the dominion match.
I talked about that lackluster piledriver pages back and you called me a troll. Look who's talking now.

WRESTLEMANIA X7 - EVOLUTION 2004 - EXTREME RULES 2011
cablegeddon is offline  
post #120 of 2541 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Nervosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 796
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
re: The 2013 MOTYC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablegeddon View Post
I talked about that lackluster piledriver pages back and you called me a troll. Look who's talking now.
Get your facts right. You dissed Tanahashi's piledriver, which I have no problem with. I dissed Okada's piledriver.

And even you have to admit that post was sheer trolling.



Credit for sig goes to: CHAMPviaDQ
Nervosa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome