Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
Join Date: May 2008
WCW/NJPW Supershow 1
I just finished watching the japanese version of the WCW/NJPW Supershow. Like most people, I only saw the WCW version of it for years. However, watching the japanese version of it was very different.
Here's how the versions differ:
- Includes Norton/Equalizer, Singh/Choshu, an 8-man and the last match of Doom against Vader/Bam Bam
- Complete matches
- Production music and no real themes
- No Sting interview and no Fujinami/Flair angle
- English commentary
- Angle at the end of the show with Fujinami and Flair
- Official music for all of the American stars
- No Norton/Equalizer, 8-man, Choshu/Singh or Doom vs Vader/Bam Bam
- Different shots and some entrances
- Includes the national anthem ceremony for the main event
- Somehow has more heat for everything
Watching the two shows is almost like watching completely different shows. The big thing is that the WCW version is heavily clipped. This is a bad thing and a good thing. It's good because it shows the best parts of each match, but it's bad because it misses some parts and makes matches appear much better than they are.
In particular, the Liger/Nogami and Steiners/Hase and Sasaki matches are totally different. Liger/Nogami is actually even better than it was made to be while the Steiners match was actually not quite as good. Yes, they did alot of cool stuff, but it didn't have alot of flow and the teams weren't really comfortable with working each other.
Overall, I thought the show was very good. The only turd here was a Choshu/Singh match that was obviously going to stink.
Picking the best match on the show is not an easy feat here. Sting/Muta was great, Liger/Akira was probably even better and Doom vs Vader/Bam Bam was really good as was Steiners/HaseKen. I guess I would still have to pick the Steiners match as the best match on the show but, the quality of it was not what I had thought it was.
I kind of recommend checking out both versions to be honest. The angles/explanations to things are missing on the Japanese one, but tons of matches and minutes of matches are missing on the WCW one.
What did you guys think of the WCW/NJPW Supershow? Also, did anyone ever check out the japanese version?
I reviewed the full show with pics/gif's in my blog in my signature.