The 2012 MOTYC thread - Page 97 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #961 of 2789 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:50 PM
The trick is to stay alive...
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In the Mouth of Madness
Posts: 8,149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
                     
Re: The 2012 MOTYC thread

So I re-watched Punk/Bryan, and it was even better the second time. Holy shit what a smart, fun match. Punk's leg work was great and I loved how Bryan gained control by outsmarting Punk. The rib work was awesome by Bryan and Punk's selling was so good, he was holding his ribs for pretty much the whole match during moves and everything. Bryan's leg selling was also great but Punk didn't work the leg hard enough for it to stop Bryan, even though he was always reaching to hold it and it was always the cut off point for Punk. One of the best things about the match was the way it showed Bryan to be Punk's toughest opponent ever. Punk is the best in the world at selling desperation and the effects of a match throughout, and this was probably his best performance in the company in that regard. The way he was getting more and more frustrated he couldn't put Bryan away, even using Nigel Mcguinness's signature move, Bryan's toughest opponent ever. Theres no way that wasn't Punk and Bryan paying tribute to Mcguinness. They beat the tar out of each other too, it seemed like they really wanted to punish the other guy, especially those sick forearms that Bryan threw early on, and then Punk doing the same thing later in the match. Bryan's offense looks so sick, those knees are brutal looking and he really knows how to make it seem realistic. Both guys just going straight for certain body parts was awesome and the transitions between work overs were great and flowed perfectly. I love how they are really putting Bryan over as the smartest and most brutal wrestler in the company, I'm sure that's how everyone wanted him to be booked and right now WWE are doing an amazing job getting Bryan over based purely on his ring work, and holy shit is he over or what? He was getting more cheers than Punk from the crowd. Talking of the crowd, they were awesome. The loud dueling CM Punk/Daniel Bryan chants, the YES chants and the this is awesome chants. This was pretty surreal to see in a WWE ring, it wasn't a WWE style match at all, but the crowd absolutely loved it, and it wasn't as if it was a known smark heavy crowd either. The finishing stretch was great with both guys becoming more and more desperate to win and the finish itself was slightly anti climatic considering the rest of the match, but it was really good in setting up the rematch(s) which I think everyone wants to see so it worked fine, and came off even better on a re watch since I knew what the finish was. A sick, sick match with awesome storytelling, psychology, selling and perfectly executed. But when you have the two best workers in the company (or in the US), you're going to get something great. Give these guys a little longer with a proper, hotter finishing stretch and they will create a masterpiece. ****1/2

I said earlier I didn't think anything would top Naito/Okada, but this came damn close to doing it, and I would rank it just behind that match in second place.
Bubz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #962 of 2789 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
Tanner1495's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
         
Re: The 2012 MOTYC thread

Fuck it, I am giving Bryan/Punk the big *****, even the smallest things in that match made it that much more epic.

Also, the Fatal 4 Way gets **** from me, and the tag title match and Rhodes/Christian gets honorable mentions, not MOTYC stuff, but worth a watch. For a PPV people were meh about besides Bryan/Punk, this really delivered as a good show.
Tanner1495 is offline  
post #963 of 2789 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Hooked on a Feeling
 
KingKicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Blackgate
Posts: 8,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: The 2012 MOTYC thread

****1/4 for Punk/Bryan. Such a delight to watch.

KingKicks is offline  
post #964 of 2789 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
 
geraldinhio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: With my dark passenger.
Posts: 3,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: The 2012 MOTYC thread

My God I haven't looked foward to watch a match as much as Bryan/Punk in ages. I forgot that Over The Limit was even on. Sounds like a very hit and miss show. lol at the main event .

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mayzrc2jQM1r44v1uo1_500.png
geraldinhio is offline  
post #965 of 2789 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Humbled
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Re: The 2012 MOTYC thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner1495 View Post
Fuck it, I am giving Bryan/Punk the big *****, even the smallest things in that match made it that much more epic.
I dont see how that makes it *****
rizzotherat is offline  
post #966 of 2789 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
Last Chancery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                   
Re: The 2012 MOTYC thread

I'm comfortable giving Bryan/Punk ****1/2 - ****3/4. I think the finishing sequence, or lack thereof, was what really prevented it from getting the full five. Everything else was fantastic as it comes.
Last Chancery is offline  
post #967 of 2789 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Learning to break kayfabe
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
       
Re: The 2012 MOTYC thread

I gave Punk vs. Bryan ****. It was really really good or even amazing but I wouldn't go as far as to give it any higher than that.
mk92071 is offline  
post #968 of 2789 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Ho!
 
The Evil Santadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 14,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
                     
Re: The 2012 MOTYC thread

Quote:
I'm comfortable giving Bryan/Punk ****1/2 - ****3/4. I think the finishing sequence, or lack thereof, was what really prevented it from getting the full five. Everything else was fantastic as it comes.
I don't get why someone would use the finish as a reason to not give the match 5 stars. I mean I understand why to some it's not a 5 star match, but I think the finish was perfect. It was better than:

-A clean Punk win (would've ended the feud with Bryan/made it pointless to continue)
-A clean Bryan win (Would've been incredibly odd and the wrong move)
-A DQ end (A weaker attempt to continue the feud than what we got)
-A count out end (see above)

I wonder what people who didn't like the ending were expecting? I suppose one other thing they could've done logically is have the ref get knocked out, Bryan has Punk beat (by some cheap measure like hitting him with the belt), and ends up losing with the GTS. But honestly that has happened a lot more than what we saw, and some of the best matches of all time don't end with someone hitting their finisher. The only other times I can think of where we had an ending that was similar to what we saw was the Edge/Benoit tap out/pin, and the Taker/Angle tap out/pin (the one time Taker tapped out). It was a fresh, cool thing to do and I think the sequence leading into the Yes Lock was excellent.

If they go the submission match route next PPV then the ending to the match should be one of the last things to use as a reason to take the match down a notch.

But out of curiosity, I ask again, what did people who didn't like the ending want?

I'm watching you...



The Evil Santadow is offline  
post #969 of 2789 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 06:51 PM
XMAS JOY~
 
the joy~! of seabsmas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ----->
Posts: 28,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
                     
Re: The 2012 MOTYC thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
Seabs, looking at your list (awesome resource by the way), no Shingo/Nakajima? Have you seen? I can't remember if you had reviewed or not.
Didn't think much of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obis View Post
I don't get why someone would use the finish as a reason to not give the match 5 stars. I mean I understand why to some it's not a 5 star match, but I think the finish was perfect. It was better than:

-A clean Punk win (would've ended the feud with Bryan/made it pointless to continue)
-A clean Bryan win (Would've been incredibly odd and the wrong move)
-A DQ end (A weaker attempt to continue the feud than what we got)
-A count out end (see above)

I wonder what people who didn't like the ending were expecting? I suppose one other thing they could've done logically is have the ref get knocked out, Bryan has Punk beat (by some cheap measure like hitting him with the belt), and ends up losing with the GTS. But honestly that has happened a lot more than what we saw, and some of the best matches of all time don't end with someone hitting their finisher. The only other times I can think of where we had an ending that was similar to what we saw was the Edge/Benoit tap out/pin, and the Taker/Angle tap out/pin (the one time Taker tapped out). It was a fresh, cool thing to do and I think the sequence leading into the Yes Lock was excellent.

If they go the submission match route next PPV then the ending to the match should be one of the last things to use as a reason to take the match down a notch.

But out of curiosity, I ask again, what did people who didn't like the ending want?
Felt too sudden for me. With a match as great as it was I was left wanting a lot more from the finish. It was a good finish but I wanted a great finishing stretch and not a cute sudden one.

the joy~! of seabsmas is offline  
post #970 of 2789 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
Zatiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
             
Re: The 2012 MOTYC thread

I liked the ending. The match was so much about them being evenly matched on strikes, bodypart-work and even highspots that they wound up returning to technique over and over. Eventually, Punk just won because he was able to take one little advantage, and even then tapped out a second later. A highly technical, evenly-paced and exhausting match ending in a highly technical and evenhanded way like that seemed fine to me. Certainly they pulled it off in execution.

I think some people might have wanted a decisive victory, like Punk finally nailing a G2S and just pinning him. I didn't need that, and am ecstatic that Bryan is probably returning for a rematch after this.
Zatiel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome