Your opinion is uninformed.
And also dangerously close to "wrong". Name a title defense that happened in ROH before 2008 that wasn't worthwhile, or devalued the belt, or was "random" without any storyline reasoning, or whatever you want to say. I can think of maybe three.
1. Xavier vs Low Ki (Unscripted)
2. Xavier vs Jay Briscoe (All Star Extravaganza)
3. Samoa Joe vs Tom Carter vs Matt Stryker vs Colt Cabana (Epic Encounter)
4. Samoa Joe vs Dan Maff (Wrestlerave 03)
5. Samoa Joe vs BJ Whitmer (Wrath of the Racket)
6. Samoa Joe vs Matt Stryker (Reborn Stage 2)
7. Samoa Joe vs Trent Acid (Testing the Limit)
8. Samoa Joe vs Rocky Romero (Gold)
9. Bryan Danielson vs Rocky Romero (Steel Cage Warfare)
10. Bryan Danielson vs Jimmy Rave (4th Anniversary
11. Bryan Danielson vs BJ Whitmer vs Jimmy Jacobs (Throwdown)
12. Bryan Danielson vs Sonjay Dutt (Death Before Dishonor 4)
13. Homicide vs Jimmy Rave (5th Year Festival NYC)
14. Takeshi Morishima vs Homicide (5th Year Festival Philly) Debatable i guess. Was a bad match but set up good things to come.
15. Takeshi Morishima vs BJ Whitmer (5th Year Festival Dayton)
16. Takeshi Morishima vs Shingo (Good Times, Great Memories)
17. Takeshi Morishima vs BJ Whitmer (Respect Is Earned)
18. Takeshi Morishima vs Adam Pearce (Driven)
19. Takeshi Morishima vs Jimmy Rave (Driven)