Your 5 Star Match Lists - Page 40 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 08-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #391 (permalink)
Ben Wyatt's Low Cal Calzone Zone
 
WOOLCOCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Golfing with Stephen Hawking, he lied about his handicap. Didn't need a golf cart though, I just sat in his lap.
Posts: 5,661
WOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF Ballot
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

89 series vs Steamboat
1993 vs Vader
85 vs Wahoo McDaniel 2/3 falls 1985
vs Barry Windham 14/7/86- Battle of the Belts II, Worldwide 20/1/1987, Crockett Cup 11/4/87
vs Ricky Morton Steel Cage 1986
vs Terry Funk, GAB 1989, COTC I Quit 1989
vs Kerry Von Erich, Hawaii 10/12/85
vs Lawler, Memphis 14/8/82

I love the guy because he's a master structurer of his matches. He gives his opponents all the momentum in the early going and bumps like a madman to draw the crowd in, he then times his comeback and control segment to a tee, then sells his past workover and moves into a finishing stretch which has teases and near falls the crowd believes in without resorting into over kill. He can brawl, he can be a cocky heel or a beloved face, his execution is sterling, he bumps and sells with the best of them, his charisma makes even the most basic of spots like a headlock exchange that more dramatic and engaging because he flops and jerks his body to try and work within holds rather than rest and make it a rest spot. He gave near enough every guy he worked with in his prime the match of their careers and bar none has the greatest touring champion formula of any wrestler ever.

All those links should be in Seabs's megapost but in case there aren't I'll link to the ones I have:

vs Wahoo McDaniel, 2/3 falls: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4UTBKX08

vs Kerry Von Erich, Hawaii: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VODZ0GXE

vs Butch Reed, 10/8/85: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GGY9NPIG

vs Ted Dibiase, 6/11/85: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RNL73255

vs Ricky Morton, Cage Match, Great American Bash: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N7X0NUPO

vs Barry Windham, BOTB II: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YK03NZKY

vs Barry Windham, Worldwide, 20/1/87: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=09P1SG3K

vs Barry Windham, Crockett Cup, 11/4/87: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M9XRD6TA

vs Ricky Steamboat, Chi Town Rumble: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BTZKB8QC

vs Ricky Steamboat, COTC 2/3 falls: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R97QG94B

vs Ricky Steamboat: Wrestlewar 1989: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1C5TVC0O

vs Steamboat, House Show, Landover 18/3/89: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AH0XCHHV

vs Steamboat, House Show, Philly 18/3/89: http://www.fileserve.com/file/mAVVFhD

vs Terry Funk, Great American Bash 1989: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FIOFB114

vs Terry Funk, COTC I Quit Match: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UQW1HKI8


Can't do anymore than that, also would have been nice of you to say what specifically you find about him overrated. Also who do you consider better?

Last edited by WOOLCOCK : 08-25-2011 at 07:21 AM.
WOOLCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 08-25-2011, 07:19 AM   #392 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
Tanner1495's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 334
Tanner1495 Tanner1495 Tanner1495 Tanner1495 Tanner1495
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

SO.MUCH.Flair I haven't seen yet! It will be a great weekend :P
Tanner1495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #393 (permalink)
Lacing SCOTT STEINER's boots
 
Cactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,191
Cactus probably won't be missedCactus probably won't be missedCactus probably won't be missedCactus probably won't be missedCactus probably won't be missedCactus probably won't be missedCactus probably won't be missedCactus probably won't be missedCactus probably won't be missedCactus probably won't be missedCactus probably won't be missed
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segunda Caida View Post
89 series vs Steamboat
1993 vs Vader
85 vs Wahoo McDaniel 2/3 falls 1985
vs Barry Windham 14/7/86- Battle of the Belts II, Worldwide 20/1/1987, Crockett Cup 11/4/87
vs Ricky Morton Steel Cage 1986
vs Terry Funk, GAB 1989, COTC I Quit 1989
vs Kerry Von Erich, Hawaii 10/12/85
vs Lawler, Memphis 14/8/82

I love the guy because he's a master structurer of his matches. He gives his opponents all the momentum in the early going and bumps like a madman to draw the crowd in, he then times his comeback and control segment to a tee, then sells his past workover and moves into a finishing stretch which has teases and near falls the crowd believes in without resorting into over kill. He can brawl, he can be a cocky heel or a beloved face, his execution is sterling, he bumps and sells with the best of them, his charisma makes even the most basic of spots like a headlock exchange that more dramatic and engaging because he flops and jerks his body to try and work within holds rather than rest and make it a rest spot. He gave near enough every guy he worked with in his prime the match of their careers and bar none has the greatest touring champion formula of any wrestler ever.

All those links should be in Seabs's megapost but in case there aren't I'll link to the ones I have:

vs Wahoo McDaniel, 2/3 falls: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4UTBKX08

vs Kerry Von Erich, Hawaii: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VODZ0GXE

vs Butch Reed, 10/8/85: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GGY9NPIG

vs Ted Dibiase, 6/11/85: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RNL73255

vs Ricky Morton, Cage Match, Great American Bash: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N7X0NUPO

vs Barry Windham, BOTB II: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YK03NZKY

vs Barry Windham, Worldwide, 20/1/87: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=09P1SG3K

vs Barry Windham, Crockett Cup, 11/4/87: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M9XRD6TA

vs Ricky Steamboat, Chi Town Rumble: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BTZKB8QC

vs Ricky Steamboat, COTC 2/3 falls: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R97QG94B

vs Ricky Steamboat: Wrestlewar 1989: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1C5TVC0O

vs Steamboat, House Show, Landover 18/3/89: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AH0XCHHV

vs Steamboat, House Show, Philly 18/3/89: http://www.fileserve.com/file/mAVVFhD

vs Terry Funk, Great American Bash 1989: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FIOFB114

vs Terry Funk, COTC I Quit Match: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UQW1HKI8


Can't do anymore than that, also would have been nice of you to say what specifically you find about him overrated. Also who do you consider better?
Thanks for the list. I don't know why I don't like him. I just couldn't get into his stuff when I was a kid and I guess it's carried on into adulthood. I always watched his match at Chi-Town Rumble and though it was very overrated. Better than Flair? Michaels, Bret Hart, Kobash, Terry Funk, Jerry Lawler....
Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #394 (permalink)
Ben Wyatt's Low Cal Calzone Zone
 
WOOLCOCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Golfing with Stephen Hawking, he lied about his handicap. Didn't need a golf cart though, I just sat in his lap.
Posts: 5,661
WOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF Ballot
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

Funk and Lawler deserve to be put on his pedestal IMO, all 3 are excellent though and give enough great performances as well as great matches that its incredibly hard to place one over the over for a consistent period of time.

He smokes Bret IMO in every in ring department bar maybe execution, and even then I don't recall Flair ever doing anything notably sluggish in execution. He's a far better storyteller imo, or maybe his stories I just found more engaging than Bret's, better seller and bumper, better control segment in mixing good limb work with character and charisma and a better catalogue of matches.

Michaels is a realy hit or miss for me at times. Adore his tag work and would put him comfortably as a top 5 tag team worker of all time, adore his bumping as a heel in the mid 90s even if it got too over the top at times and find him one of the most consistently entertaining people to watch in a ring ever, can certainly get on board him being the best performer ever but wouldn't put him above a good 15-20 guys as a wrestler. A lot of his pimped matches since 2002 have gone down on a rewatch, Summerslam 2002, HIAC vs HHH, vs Angle Wrestlemania 21 and Vengeance 2005. Still love his 2 matches vs Cena in 2007 and the Survivor Seris 2007 match with Orton as well as the Wrestlemania 26 match with Taker even if I do think Taker was largely responsible for what I loved about the match. HIAC 1997 is still one of my favourite matches of all time but post 2002 I think he unfortunately strayed so far into being the best performer that he ignored a lot of things like long term selling which often kills matches for me, especially if your limb has been worked on as a major story in the match. He's still very good-excellent but some of his better work doesn't hold up as much since 2008/09 so I wouldn't call him anywhere near as good as Flair nowadays.

Kobashi in the mid 90s and early 00s was excellent but a lot of his work post 2002 went into overkill territory with NOAH moving away from Kings Road and starting this terrible habit of most puro matches breaking down into pointless strike exchanges. Kobashi still worked these strike exchanges better than most guys tbf but his 90s work is so far ahead of his later work to me and he just isn't as consistently entertaining as Flair and lacks the depth of quality matches that Flair has, although I concede being in Japan with a restricted main event roster he wasn't going to be facing the amount of guys Flair could face in his time as the touring Champion.
WOOLCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #395 (permalink)
Lacing SCOTT STEINER's boots
 
Henry Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,026
Henry Hill probably won't be missedHenry Hill probably won't be missedHenry Hill probably won't be missedHenry Hill probably won't be missedHenry Hill probably won't be missedHenry Hill probably won't be missedHenry Hill probably won't be missedHenry Hill probably won't be missedHenry Hill probably won't be missedHenry Hill probably won't be missedHenry Hill probably won't be missed
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
If I said I think Ric Flair is criminally overrated by you lot, would I get mauled to shit?

Oh well, I do think he is. I can just never get into his matches. Someone throw me in direction of a few matches that will help me change my mind or just try and explain his popularity with you guys.
I think it depends on your preference of wrestling and this is something that Bret Hart failed to grasp when criticising Flair in that some people just watch wrestling for the sake of being entertained. In that regards I think Flair is head and shoulders above everyone - I was rewatching a 6 man tag with Evolution against Jericho, Edge and Benoit the other day and the guy way past his prime was still as entertaining as the other five men put together.

I don't understand how Flair can be called one of the all time great workers though.
Henry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #396 (permalink)
Can't stop eating peanuts
 
Bubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Highway 61
Posts: 7,719
Bubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselves
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

My god, it's a long time since I watched some of those Flair matches, especially the Steamboat ones. I'll be watching them this week aswell then I guess. Since i'm lazy and can't be bothered to read through this thread again, can you remind me which Flair/Steamboat match is considered the best one? I can't remember which match was which at all.

Talking of stuff I havn't watched in years, the Danielson talk a few pages back got me watching some stuff again. Just watched his GBH V match with KENTA and his match with Nigel from Unified.

I see a very strong argument for Dragon/Nigel at Unified being the best ROH match ever, just insane drama in the last 5 minutes or so. That ring post spot still makes me cringe, crazy bastard! Nigel used to be my favorite wrestler in the world, such a shame as I thought he would definitely make it in the WWE.

Dragon/KENTA was hella better than I rememberd it. Awesome match, although I still prefer their Driven match. This one has an amazing story though, one that I think Nigel and KENTA told just as well however in their 7YA match which is very underrated.
Bubz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #397 (permalink)
Taking orders from THE MACHINE
 
#ROOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 19,529
#ROOT is a rep whore#ROOT is a rep whore#ROOT is a rep whore#ROOT is a rep whore#ROOT is a rep whore#ROOT is a rep whore#ROOT is a rep whore#ROOT is a rep whore#ROOT is a rep whore#ROOT is a rep whore#ROOT is a rep whore
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubz123 View Post
My god, it's a long time since I watched some of those Flair matches, especially the Steamboat ones. I'll be watching them this week aswell then I guess. Since i'm lazy and can't be bothered to read through this thread again, can you remind me which Flair/Steamboat match is considered the best one? I can't remember which match was which at all.
The answer to this will change depending on who answers lol . For example, I think their Clash 2/3 falls match is their best, but other people prefer their Chi-Town match, or WrestleWar match, or even one of the 2 house show matches from the time as well lol.

But yeah, Clash is the best .
#ROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #398 (permalink)
Can't stop eating peanuts
 
Bubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Highway 61
Posts: 7,719
Bubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselves
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

Lol, i'll definitely just rewatch all of them.
Bubz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #399 (permalink)
Pico pal q lee
 
antoniomare007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Not a fucking clue
Posts: 2,505
antoniomare007 is getting a pushantoniomare007 is getting a pushantoniomare007 is getting a pushantoniomare007 is getting a pushantoniomare007 is getting a pushantoniomare007 is getting a pushantoniomare007 is getting a pushantoniomare007 is getting a pushantoniomare007 is getting a pushantoniomare007 is getting a pushantoniomare007 is getting a push
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segunda Caida View Post
89 series vs Steamboat
1993 vs Vader
85 vs Wahoo McDaniel 2/3 falls 1985
vs Barry Windham 14/7/86- Battle of the Belts II, Worldwide 20/1/1987, Crockett Cup 11/4/87
vs Ricky Morton Steel Cage 1986
vs Terry Funk, GAB 1989, COTC I Quit 1989
vs Kerry Von Erich, Hawaii 10/12/85
vs Lawler, Memphis 14/8/82

I love the guy because he's a master structurer of his matches. He gives his opponents all the momentum in the early going and bumps like a madman to draw the crowd in, he then times his comeback and control segment to a tee, then sells his past workover and moves into a finishing stretch which has teases and near falls the crowd believes in without resorting into over kill. He can brawl, he can be a cocky heel or a beloved face, his execution is sterling, he bumps and sells with the best of them, his charisma makes even the most basic of spots like a headlock exchange that more dramatic and engaging because he flops and jerks his body to try and work within holds rather than rest and make it a rest spot. He gave near enough every guy he worked with in his prime the match of their careers and bar none has the greatest touring champion formula of any wrestler ever.

All those links should be in Seabs's megapost but in case there aren't I'll link to the ones I have:

vs Wahoo McDaniel, 2/3 falls: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4UTBKX08

vs Kerry Von Erich, Hawaii: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VODZ0GXE

vs Butch Reed, 10/8/85: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GGY9NPIG

vs Ted Dibiase, 6/11/85: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RNL73255

vs Ricky Morton, Cage Match, Great American Bash: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N7X0NUPO

vs Barry Windham, BOTB II: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YK03NZKY

vs Barry Windham, Worldwide, 20/1/87: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=09P1SG3K

vs Barry Windham, Crockett Cup, 11/4/87: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M9XRD6TA

vs Ricky Steamboat, Chi Town Rumble: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BTZKB8QC

vs Ricky Steamboat, COTC 2/3 falls: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R97QG94B

vs Ricky Steamboat: Wrestlewar 1989: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1C5TVC0O

vs Steamboat, House Show, Landover 18/3/89: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AH0XCHHV

vs Steamboat, House Show, Philly 18/3/89: http://www.fileserve.com/file/mAVVFhD

vs Terry Funk, Great American Bash 1989: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FIOFB114

vs Terry Funk, COTC I Quit Match: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UQW1HKI8


I would also add the 83' match against Jumbo and the Starrcade 88' Luger match.

Have you seen his matches against Bockwinkel?? I've only been able to find a 10 minute clip from youtube but I've heard great thing about their encounters (no surprise there, it's freacking 'Bock and Flair).

Yesterday I was making a list of guys who had GREAT matches with Naitch and just of the top of my head was able to list 40...that's insane, lol.
__________________
Back.To Back.TO BACK.

MAS QUE UNA PASION, UN SENTIMIENTO

U

Last edited by antoniomare007 : 08-25-2011 at 04:37 PM.
antoniomare007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #400 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
Tanner1495's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 334
Tanner1495 Tanner1495 Tanner1495 Tanner1495 Tanner1495
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniomare007 View Post


I would also add the 83' match against Jumbo and the Starrcade 88' Luger match.

Have you seen his matches against Bockwinkel?? I've only been able to find a 10 minute clip from youtube but I've heard great thing about their encounters (no surprise there, it's freacking 'Bock and Flair).

Yesterday I was making a list of guys how had GREAT matches with Naitch and just of the top of my head was able to list 40...that's insane, lol.

I would love too see that list, just so I can gave some Flair matches too watch.
Tanner1495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios