Your 5 Star Match Lists - Page 124 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 08-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #1231 (permalink)
TAKIN' A MULLIGAN
 
Chismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WHERE THE BUFFALO ROAM
Posts: 15,765
Chismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselves
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubz View Post
Tag Title Classic?

I need to watch more DG/DG USA btw, think I watched this one a while ago but I'm not sure. Is this from the early days of DG USA?
I have the Tag Title Classic "only" at ****1/4, lol.

And it was from Freedom Fight 2009.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbrian View Post
TV shows are the best entertainment programmes like wrestling. My favourite TV show is RAW and SMACK DOWN. I specially like fight of Rey mysterio and Randy Ortan. It was very amazing fight with lots of stunt.
Chismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #1232 (permalink)
Humbled
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 145
Megan Fox is in rep purgatory
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

Probably the best match I've ever seen is the second match of the 1989 Flair vs. Steamboat trilogy.
Megan Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #1233 (permalink)
Humbled
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,585
AmWolves10 AmWolves10 AmWolves10 AmWolves10 AmWolves10 AmWolves10 AmWolves10 AmWolves10 AmWolves10 AmWolves10
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

Davey Richards vs Tyler Black

Can't think of anything else right now.
AmWolves10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #1234 (permalink)
Humbled
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 145
Megan Fox is in rep purgatory
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmWolves10 View Post
Davey Richards vs Tyler Black

Can't think of anything else right now.
I find that VERY difficult to believe. Bret vs. Austin? Flair vs. Steamboat? Misawa vs. Kobashi? Benoit vs. Sasuke? Taker vs. HBK? HHH vs. Cactus? Of ALL the matches in the history of this business, you say THAT is the best you've seen?
Megan Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #1235 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Violent By Design's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 533
Violent By Design needs to take rep more seriousViolent By Design needs to take rep more seriousViolent By Design needs to take rep more seriousViolent By Design needs to take rep more seriousViolent By Design needs to take rep more seriousViolent By Design needs to take rep more serious
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Fox View Post
I find that VERY difficult to believe. Bret vs. Austin? Flair vs. Steamboat? Misawa vs. Kobashi? Benoit vs. Sasuke? Taker vs. HBK? HHH vs. Cactus? Of ALL the matches in the history of this business, you say THAT is the best you've seen?
calm down bro
Violent By Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #1236 (permalink)
Working on a novel about about nothing
 
Concrete's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Castle Creek,NY
Posts: 1,673
Concrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missed
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

He didn't even say that was the best match he had seen. He said that's all he could think of. And that could be the best match he's ever seen.
Concrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #1237 (permalink)
SNOWBLIND
 
GOD of CUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: On the Rocks with a Bitch and a Bottle
Posts: 6,329
GOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inductee
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubz View Post
If anyone doesn't think it's one of the best matches ever, then they must not have seen it. Probably my favourite match of all time, a masterpiece of a wrestling match.
I don't think it's as cut and dry as that at this point. Well, it probably never was as cut and dry as that, but with the footage explosion of the last five or six years, where an absolute shit ton of stuff has been unearthed and tonnes of wrestlers/matches have been re-evaluated or discovered, I don't think 6/9/95 is the go-to GOAT anymore.

I mean, my tastes in wrestling have shifted considerably from when I last watched the match roughly 6 years ago. If I'm in the right sort of mood for watching 90s All Japan then it can be as great as it always was, but shit, some of that stuff is just so...I don't know, HEAVY, I guess. Like, I would much rather sit and watch a match like Tenryu/Hashimoto or Andre/Hansen at this stage where they get in and out and achieve everything they want to in under 20 minutes. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with going over half an hour if you're good enough to fill the time well, and guys like Misawa, Kawada, Kobashi, etc. certainly were, but for all the "storytelling" and "psychology" and whatever other buzzwords you can throw at the big All Japan matches (and I'm not saying they don't fit), I'd rather watch Tenryu punch a guy in the face or Fuerza Guerrera act like a shithead or Fujiwara pull a last ditch armbar out of nowhere.

Peak All Japan has some great, great shit, but I don't think it's untouchable stylistically. It can grind you down. I've seen almost all of the 90s All Japan I ever wanted to see years ago, and it's honestly a style I have little interest in revisiting. Granted, there's always the "fresher versus better" talking point, and I'm not sure I'd necessarily argue that something like Andre/Hansen or Tenryu/Hashimoto is straight up *better* than 6/9/95 or the 6/3/94, but I know for certain which matches I'd rather watch. Like, if I made a list of my ten favourite matches ("favourite" being much easier than "best," which is honestly something I drink way too fucking much to be able to coherently and properly think about), I don't think I'd have more than one match from 90s All Japan on it. And even then it'd be Hansen/Kawada, which is hardly similar to 6/9/95 stylistically (ie it's all about them beating the everloving shit out of each other rather than the layered storytelling and psychology and callbacks and such).

FWIW I still think guys like Kawada and Misawa and the others responsible for the quality of those All Japan matches are great pro-wrestlers. I think Kawada and Misawa are all-time top 20 guys. I think Stan Hansen is the best wrestler in history (although I don't really think of him in the same way I think of a Misawa or Kawada, or even a Steve Williams, given the way Hansen wrestled). I think Masa Fuchi is a fucking amazing wrestler and had as much to do with a ton of the early 90s stuff being great as Jumbo or anybody else did.

I don't dislike 90s All Japan. I just don't think it's untouchable as a style and that something like 6/9/95 is untouchable as a match.
GOD of CUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #1238 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Violent By Design's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 533
Violent By Design needs to take rep more seriousViolent By Design needs to take rep more seriousViolent By Design needs to take rep more seriousViolent By Design needs to take rep more seriousViolent By Design needs to take rep more seriousViolent By Design needs to take rep more serious
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3000 View Post
I don't think it's as cut and dry as that at this point. Well, it probably never was as cut and dry as that, but with the footage explosion of the last five or six years, where an absolute shit ton of stuff has been unearthed and tonnes of wrestlers/matches have been re-evaluated or discovered, I don't think 6/9/95 is the go-to GOAT anymore.

I mean, my tastes in wrestling have shifted considerably from when I last watched the match roughly 6 years ago. If I'm in the right sort of mood for watching 90s All Japan then it can be as great as it always was, but shit, some of that stuff is just so...I don't know, HEAVY, I guess. Like, I would much rather sit and watch a match like Tenryu/Hashimoto or Andre/Hansen at this stage where they get in and out and achieve everything they want to in under 20 minutes. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with going over half an hour if you're good enough to fill the time well, and guys like Misawa, Kawada, Kobashi, etc. certainly were, but for all the "storytelling" and "psychology" and whatever other buzzwords you can throw at the big All Japan matches (and I'm not saying they don't fit), I'd rather watch Tenryu punch a guy in the face or Fuerza Guerrera act like a shithead or Fujiwara pull a last ditch armbar out of nowhere.

Peak All Japan has some great, great shit, but I don't think it's untouchable stylistically. It can grind you down. I've seen almost all of the 90s All Japan I ever wanted to see years ago, and it's honestly a style I have little interest in revisiting. Granted, there's always the "fresher versus better" talking point, and I'm not sure I'd necessarily argue that something like Andre/Hansen or Tenryu/Hashimoto is straight up *better* than 6/9/95 or the 6/3/94, but I know for certain which matches I'd rather watch. Like, if I made a list of my ten favourite matches ("favourite" being much easier than "best," which is honestly something I drink way too fucking much to be able to coherently and properly think about), I don't think I'd have more than one match from 90s All Japan on it. And even then it'd be Hansen/Kawada, which is hardly similar to 6/9/95 stylistically (ie it's all about them beating the everloving shit out of each other rather than the layered storytelling and psychology and callbacks and such).

FWIW I still think guys like Kawada and Misawa and the others responsible for the quality of those All Japan matches are great pro-wrestlers. I think Kawada and Misawa are all-time top 20 guys. I think Stan Hansen is the best wrestler in history (although I don't really think of him in the same way I think of a Misawa or Kawada, or even a Steve Williams, given the way Hansen wrestled). I think Masa Fuchi is a fucking amazing wrestler and had as much to do with a ton of the early 90s stuff being great as Jumbo or anybody else did.

I don't dislike 90s All Japan. I just don't think it's untouchable as a style and that something like 6/9/95 is untouchable as a match.


Not that I agree or disagree, but what does this post have to do with the statement you quoted
Violent By Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #1239 (permalink)
SNOWBLIND
 
GOD of CUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: On the Rocks with a Bitch and a Bottle
Posts: 6,329
GOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inductee
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

Bubz said that if someone doesn't think 6/9/95 is one of the best matches ever (and by extension of MF83's post, a five star match) then they must not have seen it.

I got long-winded, but my general point was that I don't think that statement's all that fair/accurate, and that with the amount of footage that's been unearthed over the last number of years, 90s All Japan isn't really the go-to as the absolute pinnacle of wrestling like it used to be.

I'm prone to rambling like a spastic a lot of the time, but I don't really see how that was difficult to grasp.
GOD of CUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #1240 (permalink)
All in the reflexes
 
Bubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In the Mouth of Madness
Posts: 7,871
Bubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselves
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

Yeah, maybe that was a bit of a silly statement I made tbh. It's still probably my favourite match ever (not even sure about that anymore, There's a couple Liger matches that might take that cake) but I completely get what you're saying about preferring something where they can get in and out and still achieve greatness in 20 minutes or under, and I agree with that for the most part. Those are the types of matches I've been more into recently, haven't actually watched any 90's AJPW for quite a while.
Bubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios