Re: The 2011 MOTYC Thread
Young Bucks vs. Kings of Wrestling, PWG Battle of Los Angeles
This is just absolutely textbook. I don't see how anyone can say the Bucks aren't good heels after watching this, because they're awesome here. They bump like crazy and the crowd is eating it all up. When the Kings are on offense, the crowd is loving everything, when the Bucks are on offense, the crowd is begging Claudio to make a comeback. They've done a fantastic job of changing up their moveset while remaining all flashy, they still do superkicks but they're not desperation comeback babyface superkicks, they're double-team heelish superkicks. The crowd absolutely loved seeing them get the shit beaten out of them, they sold it fantastically, and their comeback and subsequent Claudio workover was real smooth. And then Hero is a beast off the hot tag and Claudio is great leading up to the finish. Nothing groundbreaking, but this was tons and tons of fun with a simple structure and dynamic that worked beautifully.
Kevin Steen vs. El Generico, PWG Battle of Los Angeles
Oh man. The hatred. It was palpable. Crowd wanted Generico to win so bad, and they went crazy when he did. It was fantastic. This was very satisfying and at the same time made me want to see more, in a no-DQ setting. Which of course happened, because PWG knows how to book. Anyway, this was super great just because both guys hated each other and did not fuck around. Generico gets powerbombed on the apron in like the first two minutes. Steen heels it up amazingly while still getting over that he hate hate hates Generico. The finish was great because you could kind of see it coming but you couldn't really for sure until it actually happened. It wasn't very long, but it didn't need to be, and really it's better that it wasn't.
1. Castagnoli vs. Hero, Eight, ****3/4
2. Steen/Tozawa vs. Goodtime/Yuma, All Star Weekend 8, Night 2, ****1/2
3. Suzuki vs. Nakajima, 3/1 NOAH, ****1/2
4. Hidaka vs. Sekimoto, 1/1 ZERO-1, ****1/4
5. Steen vs. Finlay, Battle of Los Angeles, ****1/4
6. Castagnoli vs. Generico, Kurt RussellReunion 2, ****1/4
7. Suzuki vs. Nakajima, 9/23 NOAH, ****1/4
8. Strong vs. Mack, Card Subject to Change 3, ****1/4
9. Strong/Shelley vs. Generico/Ricochet, Eight, ****1/4
10. Steen vs. Generico, Battle of Los Angeles, ****1/4
11. Steen/Tozawa vs. Generico/Ricochet, All Star Weekend 8, Night 1, ****1/4
12. Goto vs. Tanahashi, NJPW 6/18, ****1/4
13. Strong vs. Briscoe, Only the Strong Survive, ****
14. Castagnoli vs. Generico, Battle of Los Angeles, ****
15. Steen vs. Pac, Eight, ****
16. Cena vs. Punk, Money in the Bank, ****
17. Castagnoli/Hero vs. Jackson/Jackson, Battle of Los Angeles, ****
18. Strong vs. Edwards, Death Before Dishonor IX, ****
19. Hero vs. Edwards, Revolution Canada, ****
11/19 on my MOTYC list are PWG. Best year of any promotion ever?
This is the other wrestling section. It's still fake to us.