Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Re: The 2011 MOTYC Thread
getting through my PWG backlog is the most fun I've had in months. 9/17 of my MOTYCs are from PWG, with three from ROH, two NOAH, one NJPW, one ZERO-1, and one WWE making up the rest. another fucking level.
Kevin Steen vs. Finlay, PWG Battle of Los Angeles
Finlay is the fucking man. This was about as good as a fifteen minute match can be. Some pretty cool stuff in the opening with Finlay working holds like nobody else, and Steen being Steen. Then the match has a really clear, really nice turning point with Finlay giving in to the fans and climbing the turnbuckles for a dive, but Knox tells him to stop and Steen takes advantage and fucks up Finlay's knee. The workover is then absolutely great with Steen wanting everyone to know that he is beating the shit out of fucking Finlay right now and that he doesn't even think it's a big deal. Finlay of course sold like a fucking champ, even after his offensive moves. My favorite by far was him getting the knees up on a Swanton and then clutching the knee Steen worked over like he needed a stretcher. Finish was great too, played off the earlier work nicely and basically just made sense. No overkill, and they left me not unsatisfied, but still wanting more, which is really what a first-round tournament match should do.
Segunda mentioned some people watching this match being frustrated with Steen's antics, and to me that's really missing the point. Steen's character is the guy who dicks around and tells jokes and doesn't give his opponent any respect. It would have been out of character for Steen to not interact with the fans in the middle of the match, even though he's wrestling Finlay. Steen's character is great because it makes his opponent seem like an underdog even when it's fucking Finlay, which is absolutely invaluable. The RockNES vs. NVC tag wouldn't have been half as good as it was if Steen was a Davey Richards-like mask of intensity instead of the guy who just cold doesn't give a fuck about his opponent, he's going to win and make it look easy. And then there's the times when he breaks it to wrestle Generico, which has even more of an impact in getting over the hatred between them. Basically, if Steen had wrestled any other way in this match I would have been annoyed because it would have been a big break in character, and that's not something I want to see from Steen. Plus the character added a good bit to the match.
Claudio Castagnoli vs. El Generico, PWG Battle of Los Angeles
The previous match was a technical masterpiece that followed a really simple formula and did it really well, with I think two moves more complex than a kick. This one was pretty much the exact opposite, and really, I think there's a lot to be said for a match that's so absolutely crazy with the moves and counters that they have the crowd on their feet for two-thirds of the match. The reversals here were absolutely amazing, and I got caught up in it along with everyone in attendance. Tons and tons of fun and as good a sprint as you're going to see anywhere.
1. Castagnoli vs. Hero, Eight, ****3/4
2. Steen/Tozawa vs. Goodtime/Yuma, All Star Weekend 8, Night 2, ****1/2
3. Suzuki vs. Nakajima, 3/1 NOAH, ****1/2
4. Hidaka vs. Sekimoto, 1/1 ZERO-1, ****1/4
5. Steen vs. Finlay, Battle of Los Angeles, ****1/4
6. Castagnoli vs. Generico, Kurt RussellReunion 2, ****1/4
7. Suzuki vs. Nakajima, 9/23 NOAH, ****1/4
8. Strong vs. Mack, Card Subject to Change 3, ****1/4
9. Strong/Shelley vs. Generico/Ricochet, Eight, ****1/4
10. Steen/Tozawa vs. Generico/Ricochet, All Star Weekend 8, Night 1, ****1/4
11. Goto vs. Tanahashi, NJPW 6/18, ****1/4
12. Strong vs. Briscoe, Only the Strong Survive, ****
13. Castagnoli vs. Generico, Battle of Los Angeles, ****
14. Steen vs. Pac, Eight, ****
15. Cena vs. Punk, Money in the Bank, ****
16. Strong vs. Edwards, Death Before Dishonor IX, ****
17. Hero vs. Edwards, Revolution Canada, ****
Originally Posted by Maxx Hero
This is the other wrestling section. It's still fake to us.
Last edited by jawbreaker : 12-03-2011 at 03:27 PM.