Re: Official ROH DVD Help Thread
Posted this in the newb section but I figure, with the DVD out, everyone could use it. heres a live review of Dedicated.
Ya know, it was kind of a weird show. I felt like I would have liked it so much more on DVD, almost, because everything was solid but nothing was really geared towards a live crowd experience except Hero/Cide and maybe the opener. Here are a few thoughts though.
1. Rocky Romero vs. Davey Richards - This was a really great, stiff opener. Better than the Nigel-Walters opener for 11/3 which I also liked. Really stiff and some cool psychology as well, and Davey shows why hes one of the best sellers in ROH. I expect ratings around ***1/4-***1/2.
2. Jack Evans vs. Eddie Edwards - Squash to get Evans back in and Edwards face on the card. Enetertaining and short, flt like an ROHVideos match, but it never showed up there.
3. Delirious & Pelle Primeau vs. Adam Pearce & Shane Hagadorn - This was really fun and one of the occasions I bet it would be better live, as you get all the wacky Delirious stuff. Prob about **-**1/2 tops.
4. Jimmy Jacobs, Brent Albright & Lacey vs. Colt Cabana, BJ Whitmer & Daizee Haze in a wild No DQ brawl - Okay, this was very good stuff I expect to be better on DVD when you can see everything. I'm assuming you've seen Final Battle. Take the opening of the BJ-Jimmy brawl from that tag match, and stretch it without and regular tag stuff. But the match, I think , was only around 8-10 minutes, but was grwat for what it was. Prob about ***1/4.
5. Samoa Joe vs. Nigel McGuinness - Another match that will probably be better on DVD. A bit slower and not a lot of the great Joe stiffness and shit, and not as many sick Nigel strikes, but told a great story and was really, really good. I saw someone give it ****1/4, and I definatly wouldn't go that high, but you'll probably see most ratings around ***1/2-***3/4, and I would not be surpised to see some people give it ****. Really good stuff.
6. Jimmy Rave vs. Jason Blade vs. Shingo vs. Christopher Daniels - Your average four corner, not much to write home about. As per usual, everyone played their character really well but the action itself wasn't much. Proabaly around **1/4, your average 4CS.
7. Homicide vs. Chris Hero - Alroght, I really dug this, but I was probably alone. It was really old school, with Hero stalling, Cide being a great babyfac, and the dueling managers at ringside. The action was good but not amazing but it was a fun, if simple, story and ended in a finsih that worked perfectly. Probably around ***1/2 but I really don't know if it will come off better on DVD due to more patiente, or worse beacause you don't get the fun Smokes/Sweeney dynamic at ringside. Not really **** stuff though.
8) Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Austin Aries & Roderick Strong - This was really, really weird. I, and some around me, thought it would only go 2 falls because of how it hd been built, but we still felt it ended early (even though I think it went around 30 minutes). They never went into the cray nearfall sequence like Unified and kept it like a more basic tag match, but it was these two teams so the stuff was still gret. It just felt that everyone was waiting for that final kick into igh gear and it never came. They just wrestled, then it was over. But it was still really good-great stuff, I imagine most ratings to be between ***1/2 to ****, but this was a match I thought I would have like 100 times better on DVD.
Overall, a lot of really good stuff here but nothing really amazing. Hard to rate live, and I bet it will be a Love it/Hate it DVD based on what your looking for. It was a lot of storytelling, slower paced matches and no "everyones knocked out!" amazing, "state of the art" matches. Not as good as HRB, for my money, but I bet most will like it more than anything from October or a lot of the pre-FB shows. Slightly reccomended, but not must have. Probably around the range of Irresistable Forces, with nothing stepping up and stealing the show but everything being pretty damn good.