Re: Official Indy DVD Help Thread
KOTN3 DVD Review~!
1. The Colony vs Team FIST – Great opener. Just like to say, it was pretty awesome to see myself front row and getting owned by Icarus pre-match. This went exactly how you’d expect it. Fun start, long workover on Worker then the hot tag and it all breaks down. The combo near the end on Worker was LETHAL, and his kickout was nuts. Sadly the reverse rana botch felt a lot more awkward than live, but the Ant Hill finish was good. Great way to kick things off. ***1/4.
2. QuackenSkaydeStorm vs Mucha Lucha – Just as good as live, if a little less special feeling. Before I got the DVD I checked out some of the match times for the weekend, and was shocked to see this went 19 minutes as opposed to 9 like I thought it did. And, on DVD, it did the same – went (roughly) 20 minutes but felt like 10. I can see why some would be under-whelmed by this, as there was no balls to the wall action or anything, but it completely sucked me in for 20 minutes and made me think of nothing else besides the match, so it’s excellent in my book. ****1/2.
3. BLKOUT vs Team Japan – This was f*cking awesome. This came off a little worse than live as I thought some blown spots here and there were more apparent, but the match was excellent despite that. The match was slower than I remembered early on, but they built things (especially the stiffness) very well until the finishing sequence where it just exploded. Loads of great spots and nearfalls. Joker stood out here, being this mean badass that was out to kill these bastard Japanese people. His backdrop Driver on KUDO was sick. Also, SUSUMU must have a broken face after the finish. Great stuff. ****.
4. IncoHelios vs The Fabulous 3 – I thought this was kinda weird. It starts normal and the workover is standard, then the finishing sequence ends as soon as it starts. It was like hot tag, some stuff, Standing SSP, finish. Still, the early parts of the match were really fun and it was good they didn’t go overboard on the nearfalls with such a long night of wrestling etc. Good match, wouldn’t have suffered from 2 extra minutes though. ***.
5. Tag Team Gauntlet – I really didn’t like this. It starts with the NSE and THE IMMORTALS~! (I thought it was gonna head for 5* when the Immortals came out). Immortal Black’s incoherent grumble at Shawn made the DVD, which was awesome. The Immortals, sadly, get eliminated, but out comes The Kartel and the crowd wakes up. In a wonderful moment, Dad saying “F*CK CHELSEA” to Frazier made the DVD. Anyhow, the Kartel eliminate the NSE and it’s all good. Then, the Southern Saints come out and I start hating wrestling. Marcus O’Neal was dreadful, hitting a shitty Dragonrana (seriously, if you can’t do the move well, don’t try it), which eliminated the Kartel.
Las Chivas come out and it gets worse. They eliminated the SS and the Super Smash Bros come out. Uno and one of them botch some stuff, and the fans are silent. The El Dorado guys come out and eliminate Las Chivas. YES. Anyhow, more teams come out and the match gets a little better. Death Rey (alongside Dempsey) hits a sick kick to Go’s head. The Order eliminates SnS Inc. and is left with one last team. Demolition. The fans go nuts as Demolition destroy TONST. The hit Demolition Decapitation on Hydra for the win! Live I thought Hydra died or something, but on tape it looked a lot less devastating. The match had some fun parts, but overall it was pretty poor. *1/2.
6. BLKOUT vs IncoHelios – Good, good stuff. This was on post-intermission so the fans weren’t super into it, but if this were to main event or something these men would really tear the roof off. The beatdown of Helios wasn’t as sick as live, but it still was quite the ass-kicking. Loads of really, really awesome stuff in the finishing sequence. Highlights being Wicked and King slapping the absolute crap out of each other and IncoHelios hit this AWESOME combo; an enziguiri from Delirious, step up kick to the face from Wicked and tornado DDT from Helios, for 2. The fake-foul finish was really clever, and made BLKOUT even more over as heels (they were already great). Very good match. ***1/2.
7. The Colony vs Mucha Lucha – I thought this was good, but kept getting held down by botches. You could see the crowd, despite liking Mucha Lucha, was mega in favour of the Colony, and it was kinda disappointing when they were eliminated. Incognito have this weird botch where Incognito tries to wheelbarrow Pantera but Pantera just stands there, watching him and not catching him. I thought the Vin Gerard involvement was a pretty good idea, but I’d have preferred it if he actually did something to the Ants instead of just walking around and saying stuff. The finish with Incognito owning Worker was awesome. This was good stuff, but botches/sloppy parts really hurt its overall momentum. **3/4.
8. 4 way elimination: Reno Diamond vs Martin Stone vs Vin Gerard vs GLACIER – I love how this match would only happen in CHIKARA. I hate Reno Diamond. This was decent until when it came down to Glacier and Vin, where Vin’s attack on his legs would NOT end. It eventually did and Glacier made a brief comeback, but got rolled up (w/ tights) for the 3. Ultimately pointless. 1/2*.
9. Michael Nakazawa vs m.c. KZ – Fun little match. Michael proved why he needs to be brought back. KZ wasn’t too shabby either. The oil spots ruled. KZ’s “WHAT THE F*CK” scream (before he hit his spinebuster thing) being edited was funny. Fun match, just what it should have been. ***.
10. Tim Donst, Arik Cannon, Chiva 2 and Create-A-Wrestler vs Los Ice Creams and The Osirian Portal – I would have rather had Cannon face AkUa in a singles match, ignore Vin, Reno and CAW and have the 8 man be Donst/Glacier/Stone/Chiva vs Ice creams/Portal. But oh well. CAW’s corner dropkick (remembering the one at last year’s KOT) was hilarious. The finish was pretty funky too. Nothing super, but inoffensive enough considering everyone just wanted to see the finals at this point.
11. BLKOUT vs Mucha Lucha – I loved this and thought it was a very satisfying final. The start was completely awesome with everyone going at it as fast as they could and Incognito doing those awesome flips of his. The face-in-peril on Lince was great, he’s really improved since last years KOT when he debuted in CHIKARA. BLKOUT were once again awesome, being ultimate pricks. The finishing stretch was good, although I thought it’d go a bit longer with this being the big tourney finals and all. The finish came off great with everyone going nuts for the Special. Awesome final. ***3/4.
Overall: This was my favourite show of the weekend. Almost everything came out as good as live, and I was very happy all of our interactions with the wrestlers made the DVD and such. I thought this show was the best of the weekend regarding matches, as BLKOUT/Japan, AMEX/Mucha Lucha and the finals all were really excellent. It was a great time watching all 3 shows again on DVD, and I’d definitely make the trip again if possible.