Originally Posted by Makaveli
So I'm primarily a hip hop guy but over the last month or two I've been broadening my horizons and getting into other stuff. So yesterday I decided I would take a hiatus from hip hop and spend a week on another genre and only that genre. I plan to do this every other week or so with all the genres and for my first week I've decided on Rock music. I posted a Facebook status yesterday and got tons of suggestions. I was hoping to get some recommendations from some of you guys in here.
Here are all the bands I have on my "To listen to" list so far:
Also, Nirvana's Nevermind is incredible.
- Check out the albums One Days Remains
. The track Metalingus
from One Day Remains
is Edge's entrance theme. Their other albums are nice but most of the tracks on them are hit or miss.
All That Remains
- What HayleySabin said.
- What HayleySabin said and if you like the album with Jesse Leach, add Disarm the Descent
As I Lay Dying
- What HayleySabin said. Their last few albums have been pretty lackluster.
- Not a big fan of their albums, but I am a big fan of their singles. Love me some Greatest Hits
- Their first album Come What(ever) May
is all you need imo. Actually, check out the track Bother
from their debut album as well.
- What HayleySabin said and the tracks Prayer
from the album Believe.
- The track Cold (But I'm Still Here)
from their first album The Melody and the Energetic Nature of Volume
and their two most recent albums Evans Blue
and Graveyard of Empires
- Saw them live a few years back when they opened for Sick Puppies. Their first album is nice but nothing special. I don't understand how they won a Grammy to be honest.
- What HayleySabin said but add the album Ctiy of Evil
to that. Also, listen to the track Not Ready to Die
. It's a non-album track.
- The albums Dressed Up As Life
are all you need. Their new album Connect
didn't do it for me but listen to the singles from it.
- Not the best expert on them since I haven't heard all their albums but The Sufferer & the Witness
and Appeal to Reason
are a good place to start. Check out the track Like the Angel
from Revolutions Per Minute
Theory of a Deadman
- Don't bother...unless you like Nickelback.
And here are some recommendations for bands you didn't list that are in the same vein as all those:
- I've loved everything from them. Though you can start with the singles if you want then listen to the albums if you enjoy it.
- Their debut self-titled album is probably the best place to start for them.
- Again, loved everything they've put out. Their first album Saturate
is the best place to start.
- The album Thick As Theives
. The title track is pretty nice.
- Start with the track The Clincher
(some sick bass in this song) and if you like it then proceed to listen to the rest of their work. But start from the album This Type of Thinking (Could Do Us In)
Coheed and Cambria
- Most people dislike them because of the vocals but give them a chance. Listen to the tracks Welcome Home
and In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3
and then listen to more if you enjoy those.
- If you liked Linkin Park's first 2 albums then it's possible you'll enjoy them. They only have one album atm.
- Pretty much a fan of everything but start with their first album Leave A Whisper
- Solo project of the guitarist from Creed and Alter Bridge. It's like those bands but heavier and a millions times better than Creed ever was or ever will be. If you like the Alter Bridge stuff I recommended then you'll enjoy him.