Favourite 90's tracks? (Inspired by ZRC) - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Indy Wrestling, Debate League, Women of Wrestling Forums
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Celebrating my first World title
 
Arrogantly Grateful's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Catching Nematoads with Doug
Favourite(s): Rick Martel, Dean Ambrose, Ted Dibiase, Bret Hart
Posts: 13,737
Points: 9,670
                     
Favourite 90's tracks? (Inspired by ZRC)



So zrc inspired this thread here, however what are some of your favourite 90's tunes, I could go on for ages but here's a few that comes to mind :

































































































I could go on ... but have a listen through these and .... share some tracks of your own too from back then, I've stuck to single releases at the moment, as if I was to include album tracks I could go on forever, though feel free to share anything from the era that you love, be interested to see what you guys come up with, I'll list more soon also once you guys have interacted
DAMN SKIPPY likes this.

Talent at it's finest ... influencing generations that will shine through the years.



'I wanna say a little something that's long overdue, the disrespect to women has got to be through, to all the mothers and the sisters and the wives and friends, I wanna offer my love and respect till the end' - Beastie Boys

'Dooo Da Dooo Da Dooo Da Dooo Da Doo Da Doo ... that's me' - Doug
Arrogantly Grateful is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 01:09 PM
zrc
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,419
Points: 3,441
           
Re: Favourite 90's tracks? (Inspired by ZRC)

I think the 90s is my least favourite. I didn't mind the Fugees and No Doubt. But most of it was Brit Pop (that I had no interest in) and dance stuff (though I found Mr. vain and Horny to songs I got addicted to). The UK was littered with bubblegum pop that even made me cringe as a child.
zrc is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Celebrating my first World title
 
Arrogantly Grateful's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Catching Nematoads with Doug
Favourite(s): Rick Martel, Dean Ambrose, Ted Dibiase, Bret Hart
Posts: 13,737
Points: 9,670
                     
Re: Favourite 90's tracks? (Inspired by ZRC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrc View Post
I think the 90s is my least favourite. I didn't mind the Fugees and No Doubt. But most of it was Brit Pop (that I had no interest in) and dance stuff (though I found Mr. vain and Horny to songs I got addicted to). The UK was littered with bubblegum pop that even made me cringe as a child.
I think that the genres thing was so widespread back then, the indie scene was strong, the pop scene was, the RnB scene was, the hip hop scene was ... it was so varied and widespread, where as now ... I don't really feel it's got much variety anymore.

There was lots to like and dislike in the 90's I feel

Talent at it's finest ... influencing generations that will shine through the years.



'I wanna say a little something that's long overdue, the disrespect to women has got to be through, to all the mothers and the sisters and the wives and friends, I wanna offer my love and respect till the end' - Beastie Boys

'Dooo Da Dooo Da Dooo Da Dooo Da Doo Da Doo ... that's me' - Doug
Arrogantly Grateful is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 01:42 PM
Busaiku knee kick to the FACE
 
DAMN SKIPPY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,667
Points: 7,558
                     
Re: Favourite 90's tracks? (Inspired by ZRC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrc View Post
I think the 90s is my least favourite. I didn't mind the Fugees and No Doubt. But most of it was Brit Pop (that I had no interest in) and dance stuff (though I found Mr. vain and Horny to songs I got addicted to). The UK was littered with bubblegum pop that even made me cringe as a child.
the fugees and no doubt
zrc and Arrogantly Grateful like this.

DAMN SKIPPY is online now  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Searching for a new identity
 
Loudon Wainwright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,501
Points: 10,494
                     
Re: Favourite 90's tracks? (Inspired by ZRC)

The 90s are my second favorite decade for music, after the 70s.

1992 brought me one of my favorite albums of all time, History by Loudon Wainwright III. I could go on and on about it, but I feel the closing lines of this AllMusic review sum it up perfectly:

"For those familiar with Loudon Wainwright III only through his novelty hit "Dead Skunk," or who don't know his work at all, History will come as a revelation. For the small cult of Wainwright fans, its power and poignancy may also come as a wonderful surprise, for it's the album his previous work hinted might be within him. It is his masterpiece."



I've always felt that Loudon did his best work when writing about his family, and this album was hyper-personal as it came out not long after his father's death.

Highlights of the album IMO are:

Hitting You - This is a song about when he hit his young daughter in a fit of rage and how it still affects him years later. His daughter was 16 when the album came out and they had never talked about the incident. She didn't even know he thought about it until she heard the song.



A Father And A Son - Sung about his son, Rufus, this song tells of the complicated relationship between a father and his son.



Another favorite album of the 90s is the 1990 album Land of the Bottom Line by John Gorka.



My picks for songs off that album are:

The One That Got Away



I Saw a Stranger With Your Hair



Getting away from the folk genre now...

A Long December by Counting Crows



Mr. Bad Example by Warren Zevon



Wide Open Spaces by Dixie Chicks



Why Don't You Get a Job? by The Offspring - as a side note, I fucking love the album Americana



December by Collective Soul



I could list songs for days, but this post is getting way too long and I'll save them for another time. Great topic.

Loudon Wainwright is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 07:34 PM
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
 
Nightrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,282
Points: 10,125
                     
Re: Favourite 90's tracks? (Inspired by ZRC)

This one is much tougher to answer than the 80's one.

I loved a lot of musicians/songs from every genre - Grunge (Nirvana, Pearl Jam etc.), Pop (Michael Jackson, Spice Girls, Westlife, Take That, Backstreet Boyz, Boyzone, Savage Garden, Britney Spears, Robbie Williams etc.), Funk (Jamiroquai), Hip Hop (Nas, KRS1, The Pharcyde, De La Soul, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Warren G, Nate Dogg, Tupac, Biggie, Eminem, Ice Cube, Eazy E, Wu Tang Clan, The Fugees etc.), RNB, Dance/Garage/Techno/House/Electronic etc.

The 90's was just so great for music and films. My list of favourites from this decade is endless. I know I'm gonna forget plenty and even if I did remember all of em, I'd be here all day naming them.

I'll try and post some later.

Last edited by Nightrow; 08-18-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Nightrow is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Celebrating my first World title
 
Arrogantly Grateful's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Catching Nematoads with Doug
Favourite(s): Rick Martel, Dean Ambrose, Ted Dibiase, Bret Hart
Posts: 13,737
Points: 9,670
                     
Re: Favourite 90's tracks? (Inspired by ZRC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon Wainwright View Post
The 90s are my second favorite decade for music, after the 70s.

1992 brought me one of my favorite albums of all time, History by Loudon Wainwright III. I could go on and on about it, but I feel the closing lines of this AllMusic review sum it up perfectly:

"For those familiar with Loudon Wainwright III only through his novelty hit "Dead Skunk," or who don't know his work at all, History will come as a revelation. For the small cult of Wainwright fans, its power and poignancy may also come as a wonderful surprise, for it's the album his previous work hinted might be within him. It is his masterpiece."



I've always felt that Loudon did his best work when writing about his family, and this album was hyper-personal as it came out not long after his father's death.

Highlights of the album IMO are:

Hitting You - This is a song about when he hit his young daughter in a fit of rage and how it still affects him years later. His daughter was 16 when the album came out and they had never talked about the incident. She didn't even know he thought about it until she heard the song.



A Father And A Son - Sung about his son, Rufus, this song tells of the complicated relationship between a father and his son.



Another favorite album of the 90s is the 1990 album Land of the Bottom Line by John Gorka.



My picks for songs off that album are:

The One That Got Away



I Saw a Stranger With Your Hair



Getting away from the folk genre now...

A Long December by Counting Crows



Mr. Bad Example by Warren Zevon



Wide Open Spaces by Dixie Chicks



Why Don't You Get a Job? by The Offspring - as a side note, I fucking love the album Americana



December by Collective Soul



I could list songs for days, but this post is getting way too long and I'll save them for another time. Great topic.
That's really interesting, I'd never heard of this artist before so I never knew where your name here came from .... how cool, and yeah man, good stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrow View Post
This one is much tougher to answer than the 80's one.

I loved a lot of musicians/songs from every genre - Grunge (Nirvana, Pearl Jam etc.), Pop (Michael Jackson, Spice Girls, Westlife, Take That, Backstreet Boyz, Boyzone, Savage Garden, Britney Spears, Robbie Williams etc.), Funk (Jamiroquai), Hip Hop (Nas, KRS1, The Pharcyde, De La Soul, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Warren G, Nate Dogg, Tupac, Biggie, Eminem, Ice Cube, Eazy E, Wu Tang Clan, The Fugees etc.), RNB, Dance/Garage/Techno/House/Electronic etc.

The 90's was just so great for music and films. My list of favourites from this decade is endless. I know I'm gonna forget plenty and even if I did remember all of em, I'd be here all day naming them.

I'll try and post some later.
Yeah exactly, that's how I feel about it, when you think about it, all the scene's were strong as opposed to one dominant scene, you had Oasis Vs Blur in the indie scene and Take That Vs East 17 in the pop scene, even pop acts crossed over with rock too, such as Let Loose, then you had your regular solo acts that were out there for that market such as Kavana and Sean Maguire, you had people like MJ going strong, Madonna, Prince etc... Red Hot Chilli Peppers were killing it, Jamiroquai is also a good shout in regards to the funk scene, he was seriously bringing something new, then you had your RnB bands, which the UK were also bringing it strong with MN8 smashing it ... and then later Damage and to a lesser extent Ultimate Kaos kind of crossed over into that bracket, you had bands like Benz who were bringing rap the main stream, if they'd have been releasing later they'd have probably have been more successful, then you had the US bringing the RnB sound with Boyz II Men, Jodeci etc etc.. and the pop bands such as N'Sync and Backstreet Boys, New Kids On The Block were dominating the 90's and became quite edgy too towards the end, plus Jordan Knight released a killer single with that 'Give It To You', Nirvana were just awesome, Beastie Boys goes without saying for me ... but the 90's they were absolutely smashing it ... you had all the East Coast/West Coast rap coming out and the G-Funk era with all those artists and where Take That and East 17 were at it, Oasis and Blur etc... Tupac and Biggie were doing it too ... then we also had TLC, Kris Kross and even Marky Mark was pretty decent, though also had a bit of a stigma due to his brother being in New Kids On The Block I think, EYC were incredibly unique (again, ahead of their time) but they brought that whole U.S. hip hop influenced sound with a hint of RnB into a pop market and man could those guys dance .... Dance in itself was strong, which although it was quite generic it was good for it's time with Strike, Snap, Culture Beat, Urban Cookie Collective, Robin S, and even female RnB artists like Shola Ama, Aaliyah and to a lesser extent Michelle Gayle, Warren G and Coolio were bringing huge tracks as was Mark Morrison and people like that, Another Level, Eminem and Britney Spears all came out towards the end ... Spice Girls were a phenomenal thing if you like that ... even the Euro sound (which I was never really a fan of) was killing it too ... be it Scatman (which was quality) to Macarena to songs like that 'Sweet Harmonie' and 'Turn On, Tune In and Cop Out' etc.. it was just so wide spread it was good ... and performances were much better too back then from all the artists from the boy bands to the rock artists were just giving wicked live performances and TV was covering concerts a lot be it Smash Hits or Twix shows, to Channel 5 to Saturday Morning TV and most of all MTV was MTV .... which was the best thing about it, oh and also The Simpsons were ace even in the music world, not forgetting the WWF releasing too

So yeah, that era was just so widespread and solid there was something for everything, sure there was a lot of cheese in there (Aqua maybe?) .... but even that was catchy ha ... but there was a lot of quality stuff in that era and I do feel it's often underrated.

When you look at the music scene now, it's all generic and dull, even rap is awful now and so weak .. it doesn't have that oomph anymore, it's just weak snappy snares with auto tuned vocals and all the same really, but compare that to the West Coast/East Coast stuff ... it just blows it out of the water all the way ... No Diggity.

But yeah, feel free to share a few anyway lol

Talent at it's finest ... influencing generations that will shine through the years.



'I wanna say a little something that's long overdue, the disrespect to women has got to be through, to all the mothers and the sisters and the wives and friends, I wanna offer my love and respect till the end' - Beastie Boys

'Dooo Da Dooo Da Dooo Da Dooo Da Doo Da Doo ... that's me' - Doug
Arrogantly Grateful is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
 
Nightrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,282
Points: 10,125
                     
Re: Favourite 90's tracks? (Inspired by ZRC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogantly Grateful View Post
Yeah exactly, that's how I feel about it, when you think about it, all the scene's were strong as opposed to one dominant scene, you had Oasis Vs Blur in the indie scene and Take That Vs East 17 in the pop scene, even pop acts crossed over with rock too, such as Let Loose, then you had your regular solo acts that were out there for that market such as Kavana and Sean Maguire, you had people like MJ going strong, Madonna, Prince etc... Red Hot Chilli Peppers were killing it, Jamiroquai is also a good shout in regards to the funk scene, he was seriously bringing something new, then you had your RnB bands, which the UK were also bringing it strong with MN8 smashing it ... and then later Damage and to a lesser extent Ultimate Kaos kind of crossed over into that bracket, you had bands like Benz who were bringing rap the main stream, if they'd have been releasing later they'd have probably have been more successful, then you had the US bringing the RnB sound with Boyz II Men, Jodeci etc etc.. and the pop bands such as N'Sync and Backstreet Boys, New Kids On The Block were dominating the 90's and became quite edgy too towards the end, plus Jordan Knight released a killer single with that 'Give It To You', Nirvana were just awesome, Beastie Boys goes without saying for me ... but the 90's they were absolutely smashing it ... you had all the East Coast/West Coast rap coming out and the G-Funk era with all those artists and where Take That and East 17 were at it, Oasis and Blur etc... Tupac and Biggie were doing it too ... then we also had TLC, Kris Kross and even Marky Mark was pretty decent, though also had a bit of a stigma due to his brother being in New Kids On The Block I think, EYC were incredibly unique (again, ahead of their time) but they brought that whole U.S. hip hop influenced sound with a hint of RnB into a pop market and man could those guys dance .... Dance in itself was strong, which although it was quite generic it was good for it's time with Strike, Snap, Culture Beat, Urban Cookie Collective, Robin S, and even female RnB artists like Shola Ama, Aaliyah and to a lesser extent Michelle Gayle, Warren G and Coolio were bringing huge tracks as was Mark Morrison and people like that, Another Level, Eminem and Britney Spears all came out towards the end ... Spice Girls were a phenomenal thing if you like that ... even the Euro sound (which I was never really a fan of) was killing it too ... be it Scatman (which was quality) to Macarena to songs like that 'Sweet Harmonie' and 'Turn On, Tune In and Cop Out' etc.. it was just so wide spread it was good ... and performances were much better too back then from all the artists from the boy bands to the rock artists were just giving wicked live performances and TV was covering concerts a lot be it Smash Hits or Twix shows, to Channel 5 to Saturday Morning TV and most of all MTV was MTV .... which was the best thing about it, oh and also The Simpsons were ace even in the music world, not forgetting the WWF releasing too

So yeah, that era was just so widespread and solid there was something for everything, sure there was a lot of cheese in there (Aqua maybe?) .... but even that was catchy ha ... but there was a lot of quality stuff in that era and I do feel it's often underrated.

When you look at the music scene now, it's all generic and dull, even rap is awful now and so weak .. it doesn't have that oomph anymore, it's just weak snappy snares with auto tuned vocals and all the same really, but compare that to the West Coast/East Coast stuff ... it just blows it out of the water all the way ... No Diggity.

But yeah, feel free to share a few anyway lol
Great post. You made a lot of 90's references that took me back . Agreed with you there about the variety in the genres back then, couldn't have put it better myself. Nothing wrong with cheese or goofiness back then either, that was the thing back in the 90's and is why we loved so much of the films & music back then. Nowadays it isn't accepted anymore, it's frowned upon. Society has changed and wants everything in music, TV, films, wrestling to be realistic, too serious, dark, gritty, less cartoony/silly etc. Our standards are too high now. And yeah the music scene does suck today. I don't keep up or listen to any of today's music, I stopped listening since 2002. Never heard of any of these current rap artists. That's why when you see me post songs around here, it's old songs. Eminem used to be one of my favourite artists but even he's completely different now and I'm not into him anymore. I listened to his comeback album, Relapse, a couple years ago, it's not a bad album but he lost that style that appealed to me back in the late 90's/early 00's. He was more serious and dark on that album compared to his past albums. I've heard Dr Dre is gonna drop a new album (it's not the long rumored Detox) but I'm hesistant to give it a listen because he's gonna be collaborating with a lot of these new crappy artists. I don't know if Snoop Dogg, Kurupt or any former Death Row guys are gonna be on it, so it most likely won't be as good as The Chronic or 2001.

I'll try to keep this short because I could go on forever and I'll try not to post any that have already been mentioned.






































































































Last edited by Nightrow; 08-20-2015 at 04:15 AM.
Nightrow is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Hot Dreams!
 
Timber Timbre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: My giant Igloo with built-in Wi-Fi
Posts: 4,022
Points: 533
                     
Re: Favourite 90's tracks? (Inspired by ZRC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogantly Grateful View Post

When you look at the music scene now, it's all generic and dull, even rap is awful now and so weak .. it doesn't have that oomph anymore, it's just weak snappy snares with auto tuned vocals and all the same really, but compare that to the West Coast/East Coast stuff ... it just blows it out of the water all the way ... No Diggity.
You probably wouldn't have that problem if you looked outside of popular trends in mainstream culture. There's an endless stream of great music that is now easier to find w/ the emergence of viral marketing. The centerpiece of Viacom's carefully researched target demographic (The crap w/ snappy snares and auto-tune that you're talking about) only encompasses an extremely small portion of the music industry. The artists that actually innovated and ushered in genres are much different from those capitalizing on the commercialization of them, and often they remain obscure to the general public b/c they aren't manifestations of corporate billboards. It's ultimately worth seeking out new music from different outlets if what you're relying on now frustrates you, there's more research involved but you broaden your scope as a result of your labor.

...


Edit* It wouldn't be a bad idea to put your video embeds under spoiler brackets to avoid crashes. The page is a chore to scroll through b/c it's loading slower than a limping turtle moving across thick molasses.


Last edited by Timber Timbre; 08-20-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Timber Timbre is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 12:21 AM
Little Poppa Pump
 
Shagz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Gosh!
Favourite(s): Steve Austin, The Rock, Undertaker, Edge, CM Punk
Posts: 2,132
Points: 6,829
               
Re: Favourite 90's tracks? (Inspired by ZRC)




Shagz is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome