If A Superstar Fails To Get Over On The Mic - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
I Hear Voices
 
Apex Predator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Danger Zone
Posts: 2,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
If A Superstar Fails To Get Over On The Mic

Should WWE send them back to the developmental league instead giving them the easy way out by giving them a mouth piece like Vickie or Heyman?

How can those superstars last long term if they're fed a easy solution to cover up their flaws in the end like a Axel, Swagger, and Ryback?

In some ways yes having it helps but, in the end hurts the superstars growth in the company. Always needing someone to speak or tell them the next move. I

Apex Predator


Last edited by Apex Predator; 07-22-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Apex Predator is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Working on my abs
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: like a bitch
Posts: 2,959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Re: If A Superstar Fails To Get Over On The Mic

I disagree, wrestlers do NOT need to be able to talk, not evrey one needs to cut a 50 min promo, see Taker andf knae early on

we put far to much power in mic skills

Fuck Rayfu, its time for a ban!
Rayfu is offline  
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER
 
HouseofPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
               
Re: If A Superstar Fails To Get Over On The Mic

There's solutions like giving them a manager or a gimmick that involves less mic time, some guys are great wrestlers that just don't have any mic skills and in a lot of cases that won't change just by giving them time, it might work for some of them but others need managers. Look at Kane in the late 90s, having him with Paul Bearer to start with was a great move, similarly in WCW Goldberg hardly ever got on the mic and was still massively over with the crowd cause he had the right gimmick.
HouseofPunk is offline  
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
Solefool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
     
Re: If A Superstar Fails To Get Over On The Mic

Personally, I wouldn't even bring up guys that weren't at least above average both on the mic and in the ring. If you're in an emergency situation and need talent, bring them up and let them push through their weakness. Only way to get better is with experience.
Solefool is offline  
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Working on my abs
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: like a bitch
Posts: 2,959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Re: If A Superstar Fails To Get Over On The Mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solefool View Post
Personally, I wouldn't even bring up guys that weren't at least above average both on the mic and in the ring. If you're in an emergency situation and need talent, bring them up and let them push through their weakness. Only way to get better is with experience.
But this is a skill where a lot will NEVER be good, guys who have talked for years and never improve

Fuck Rayfu, its time for a ban!
Rayfu is offline  
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
I Hear Voices
 
Apex Predator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Danger Zone
Posts: 2,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: If A Superstar Fails To Get Over On The Mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseofPunk View Post
There's solutions like giving them a manager or a gimmick that involves less mic time, some guys are great wrestlers that just don't have any mic skills and in a lot of cases that won't change just by giving them time, it might work for some of them but others need managers. Look at Kane in the late 90s, having him with Paul Bearer to start with was a great move, similarly in WCW Goldberg hardly ever got on the mic and was still massively over with the crowd cause he had the right gimmick.
Different time. Different era. Who now was hotter than Goldberg and a monster like Kane?

Apex Predator

Apex Predator is offline  
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Humbled
 
123bigdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Re: If A Superstar Fails To Get Over On The Mic

Bret Hart was never great on the mic and he is considered one of the best of all time. Actually, he was poor on the mic.

Currently someone like Randy Orton is very poor on the mic and look what he's done for himself. Top 5 of the last 8/9 years without question.

Microphone skills are not essential by any means but they are a huge HUGE bonus.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good talker (CM Punk) but the idea of sending them back to developmental is o-t-t.
123bigdave is offline  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
I Hear Voices
 
Apex Predator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Danger Zone
Posts: 2,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: If A Superstar Fails To Get Over On The Mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123bigdave View Post
Bret Hart was never great on the mic and he is considered one of the best of all time. Actually, he was poor on the mic.

Currently someone like Randy Orton is very poor on the mic and look what he's done for himself. Top 5 of the last 8/9 years without question.

Microphone skills are not essential by any means but they are a huge HUGE bonus.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good talker (CM Punk) but the idea of sending them back to developmental is o-t-t.
Who has the technical ring abilities of Bret Hart? Not many today. If he couldn't wrestle where would he be today?

Apex Predator

Apex Predator is offline  
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER
 
HouseofPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
               
Re: If A Superstar Fails To Get Over On The Mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
Different time. Different era. Who now was hotter than Goldberg and a monster like Kane?
Yep, there's not many but I put that down to creative as much as anything, if there's a guy that's skilled in the ring but doesn't have the creativity of say a Steve Austin to go away and pretty much come up with his own finished product of a character - name, catchphrases etc. Then it's down to creative to help out with that, WCW gave Goldberg his streak, WWF/E gave Kane his mask and monster persona, it's still possible today with the right build
HouseofPunk is offline  
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:28 PM
Carrying SCOTT STEINER's bags
 
The Fourth Wall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
                     
Re: If A Superstar Fails To Get Over On The Mic

I don't think you really need Mic Skills, as long as you keep your promos short and sweet. There is always the option for Managers to do the talking anyway.

The Fourth Wall is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome