What superstars today do you think would have fit in perfectly in the Attitude Era? - Page 10 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 07-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #91 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Scotland
Posts: 916
BlandyBoreton83 BlandyBoreton83 BlandyBoreton83 BlandyBoreton83 BlandyBoreton83
Default Re: What superstars today do you think would have fit in perfectly in the Attitude Er

JOhn Cena could have been a good midcard heel as the white boy rapper. Or maybe even a Fred Durst type gimmick? Remember how big Limp Bizkit were back then? And Durst was a big pop culture figure. Cena could have parodied him.
Daniel Bryan could have been Kurt Angle's protégé.
CM Punk could have been the straight edge heel winding up all the beer drinking fans and saying he was better than them.
Damien Sandow could have been his intellectual saviour self decrying the attitude era and its fans.
BlandyBoreton83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 07-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #92 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
Sonnen Says's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,371
Sonnen Says Sonnen Says Sonnen Says
Default Re: What superstars today do you think would have fit in perfectly in the Attitude Er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
Rapper Cena definitely has a shot. That gimmick would have been crazy relevant in pop culture at the time. This current incarnation of Cena? Not a fucking chance of that shit getting over. At all. SES Punk is a midcard gimmick at best back then. Punk getting over though whining about his spot and shit that happens backstage with the likes of Rock, Austin, HHH, Taker etc running the show and flat out killing IN kayfabe? Don't make me lol. His size is also an issue here. Orton is too hard to call. His mic ability holds him back a little but his ability to portray a character (Legend Killer, Viper Orton) can be top notch. Again, his size and look would help him out big time back then. Seamus would have been perfect for the New Gen Era imo. Bryan would have ended up in the mould of Benoit/Guerrero or never would have got a shot at all because of his size. Whether you like it or not, size was most definitely a significant issue back then. It still is but to a lesser degree given how society, the industry and the fans have changed.
, Cena with that gimmick became stale in it's debut after just few months and JR imo owned him on commentary just like when Angle owned him. It's not a gimmick that will last that long.

Are you for real? Did you just bring this whining thing as a gimmick? It was a storyline in 2011, and used it again as a heel in 2012 because that's what heels mostly do. Anyway I will rather take that because he owned them HHH, Taker, and will obviously held his own against Austin since he likes him and already proved himself against Rock without even cursing like a fag plus every time Rock was trying to make a joke Punk smartass responds buried it with the following ones. I think Punk will be an upper midcarder with guys like Jericho, Foley, Angle, Rikishi, Benoit, etc. getting some mainevent spots against the likes of Rock and obviously Austin. Punk SES thing will have worked greatly and also his early days in IWA was edgy "The People person" video in YT if you wanna watch it.

I think the following ones will have a chance:
1. CM Punk
2. Damien Sandow (His gimmick is really working, and is very entertaining with great delivery and catchphrases)
3. Bray Wyatt (If Foley made it with that gimmick, than Wyatt will obviously work greatly because of his mic skills and creepy character alone)
4. Antonio Cesaro (He has unique skills in the ring he might have a slight chance and the writers back than would have give him a very fitting gimmick, he will fair just like Benoit did with his unique skills)
5. The Shield (Dean is the mic skills, Rollins is the ring skills, and Reigns is the power, and the strongest point of theirs are great)

That's who I can really think that will fit in that era, maybe I forgot few but that's who I can think of.

Last edited by Sonnen Says : 07-21-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Sonnen Says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #93 (permalink)
Getting over in the mid-card
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,925
GillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new here
Default Re: What superstars today do you think would have fit in perfectly in the Attitude Er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlandyBoreton83 View Post
JOhn Cena could have been a good midcard heel as the white boy rapper. Or maybe even a Fred Durst type gimmick? Remember how big Limp Bizkit were back then? And Durst was a big pop culture figure. Cena could have parodied him.
Daniel Bryan could have been Kurt Angle's protégé.
CM Punk could have been the straight edge heel winding up all the beer drinking fans and saying he was better than them.
Damien Sandow could have been his intellectual saviour self decrying the attitude era and its fans.
I don't see how Punk and Bryan get over. Judo kicks weren't over like they are today. The fact is they'd have to change their style of wrestling as well because WWF had real MMA fighters that were only marginally over. Nobody is going to care about the 200 pounder with average karate skills. See X Pac.

There's nobody with Punk's body type that got pushed significantly in the AE. He's not even an athlete on RVD's level. SES and Austin would never happen. How many mid carders did Austin work with? 2001 and RVD is the 1st one that comes to mind. The facts are there was just better acts than SES so it's not even program they would consider. Do you really think SES is better than Evil Taker, Corporate Rock or the McMahon Helmsly era? Not a chance in Hell.
GillbergReturns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #94 (permalink)
Ignorance is your new best friend
 
The Manowarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Where The Lines Overlap
Posts: 8,985
The Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselves
Default Re: What superstars today do you think would have fit in perfectly in the Attitude Er

Would love to see Dean Ambrose in hardcore division.
__________________
I accept Hayley Williams rep.

The Manowarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #95 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Scotland
Posts: 916
BlandyBoreton83 BlandyBoreton83 BlandyBoreton83 BlandyBoreton83 BlandyBoreton83
Default Re: What superstars today do you think would have fit in perfectly in the Attitude Er

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillbergReturns View Post
I don't see how Punk and Bryan get over. Judo kicks weren't over like they are today. The fact is they'd have to change their style of wrestling as well because WWF had real MMA fighters that were only marginally over. Nobody is going to care about the 200 pounder with average karate skills. See X Pac.

There's nobody with Punk's body type that got pushed significantly in the AE. He's not even an athlete on RVD's level. SES and Austin would never happen. How many mid carders did Austin work with? 2001 and RVD is the 1st one that comes to mind. The facts are there was just better acts than SES so it's not even program they would consider. Do you really think SES is better than Evil Taker, Corporate Rock or the McMahon Helmsly era? Not a chance in Hell.
Whoah whoah whoah. I never said they'd be main eventers. I just meant I could see them having a place in the attitude era.
BlandyBoreton83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #96 (permalink)
Little Poppa Pump
 
Edgehead 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North-West Israel
Posts: 2,101
Edgehead 26 Edgehead 26 Edgehead 26 Edgehead 26 Edgehead 26 Edgehead 26 Edgehead 26 Edgehead 26 Edgehead 26 Edgehead 26 Edgehead 26
Default Re: What superstars today do you think would have fit in perfectly in the Attitude Er

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxAttitudeEraxX View Post
But you don't get to say he would of worked in the Attitude Era.

Sorry.
Because your personal opinion is fact. And you will frown upon and enforce your ideas people who don't share the same beliefs as you because people can't make their own interpretations.

Cena would be fine as a heel showing attitude like his doctor of thuganomics character. Daniel Bryan would probably be a comedy midcarder, but seeing Rock, Jericho, Austin etc rip into him would probably be entertaining, and Bryan would be fine cause he's Bryan. Punk would fit in well. Antonio Cesaro and/or Wade Barrett would probably fit in as a member of the APA or something. Sheamus would be fine if he was booked as the celtic warrior badass, not the ginger barney. Would also be fun to watch Orton and Ryback just brawling and fighting against the stars of that era. Oh and Bray Wyatt vs Kane/Undertaker/Mankind/Austin would be fun as well.

Of course this all depends on booking. If all the stars were booked well (which they probably would be as they would be given characters to play with) it would work
__________________
:zorres
Edgehead 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #97 (permalink)
Getting over in the mid-card
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,925
GillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new here
Default Re: What superstars today do you think would have fit in perfectly in the Attitude Er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnen Says View Post
, Cena with that gimmick became stale in it's debut after just few months and JR imo owned him on commentary just like when Angle owned him. It's not a gimmick that will last that long.

Are you for real? Did you just bring this whining thing as a gimmick? It was a storyline in 2011, and used it again as a heel in 2012 because that's what heels mostly do. Anyway I will rather take that because he owned them HHH, Taker, and will obviously held his own against Austin since he likes him and already proved himself against Rock without even cursing like a fag plus every time Rock was trying to make a joke Punk smartass responds buried it with the following ones. I think Punk will be an upper midcarder with guys like Jericho, Foley, Angle, Rikishi, Benoit, etc. getting some mainevent spots against the likes of Rock and obviously Austin. Punk SES thing will have worked greatly and also his early days in IWA was edgy "The People person" video in YT if you wanna watch it.

I think the following ones will have a chance:
1. CM Punk
2. Damien Sandow (His gimmick is really working, and is very entertaining with great delivery and catchphrases)
3. Bray Wyatt (If Foley made it with that gimmick, than Wyatt will obviously work greatly because of his mic skills and creepy character alone)
4. Antonio Cesaro (He has unique skills in the ring he might have a slight chance and the writers back than would have give him a very fitting gimmick, he will fair just like Benoit did with his unique skills)
5. The Shield (Dean is the mic skills, Rollins is the ring skills, and Reigns is the power, and the strongest point of theirs are great)

That's who I can really think that will fit in that era, maybe I forgot few but that's who I can think of.
With Cena my guess is he gets pushed the same way Test did. Test was immediately put in the Corporation, joined the Union, dated Stephanie McMahon. Someone they tried really hard to get over but he just didn't have the skills to do it. Ultimately it would come down to how they develop his character and that's something nobody could project.
GillbergReturns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #98 (permalink)
Getting over in the mid-card
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,925
GillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new here
Default Re: What superstars today do you think would have fit in perfectly in the Attitude Er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlandyBoreton83 View Post
Whoah whoah whoah. I never said they'd be main eventers. I just meant I could see them having a place in the attitude era.
I don't dispute that they couldn't be on the roster I just don't see them doing anything noteworthy especially during the peak of AE.

Best chance would be a tag team with each other and rise the ranks like an Edge or Hardy afterwards.
GillbergReturns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #99 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
Sonnen Says's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,371
Sonnen Says Sonnen Says Sonnen Says
Default Re: What superstars today do you think would have fit in perfectly in the Attitude Er

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillbergReturns View Post
I don't see how Punk and Bryan get over. Judo kicks weren't over like they are today. The fact is they'd have to change their style of wrestling as well because WWF had real MMA fighters that were only marginally over. Nobody is going to care about the 200 pounder with average karate skills. See X Pac.

There's nobody with Punk's body type that got pushed significantly in the AE. He's not even an athlete on RVD's level. SES and Austin would never happen. How many mid carders did Austin work with? 2001 and RVD is the 1st one that comes to mind. The facts are there was just better acts than SES so it's not even program they would consider. Do you really think SES is better than Evil Taker, Corporate Rock or the McMahon Helmsly era? Not a chance in Hell.
That's not something to compare they cant be considered a gimmick if it wasn't their ideas, Vince does the gimmicks like when Foley came to WWF totally changed man with a mask and outfits and pitching ideas here and there and Vince was very open for ideas unlike nowadays. Punk had a lot of ideas that was nixed by Vince in this era. So, you really never know what will happen. Punk in OVW weighted as 240 Ibs because he knew Vince like big guys so he gained a lot of weight but overtime specially since 2011 it doesn't matter anymore. Punk body type was good from his debut to 2010 before he got injured. You never know the potential of SES as Punk said it had a lot of potential but wasn't lucky enough. Punk style was very technical in 2003/4 where he had a 5 star match with Joe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillbergReturns View Post
I don't dispute that they couldn't be on the roster I just don't see them doing anything noteworthy especially during the peak of AE.

Best chance would be a tag team with each other and rise the ranks like an Edge or Hardy afterwards.
But those two didn't have a powerful gimmick and you can argue if they actually had one or not.
Sonnen Says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #100 (permalink)
Getting over in the mid-card
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,925
GillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new hereGillbergReturns better hope they're relatively new here
Default Re: What superstars today do you think would have fit in perfectly in the Attitude Er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnen Says View Post
That's not something to compare they cant be considered a gimmick if it wasn't their ideas, Vince does the gimmicks like when Foley came to WWF totally changed man with a mask and outfits and pitching ideas here and there and Vince was very open for ideas unlike nowadays. Punk had a lot of ideas that was nixed by Vince in this era. So, you really never know what will happen. Punk in OVW weighted as 240 Ibs because he knew Vince like big guys so he gained a lot of weight but overtime specially since 2011 it doesn't matter anymore. Punk body type was good from his debut to 2010 before he got injured. You never know the potential of SES as Punk said it had a lot of potential but wasn't lucky enough. Punk style was very technical in 2003/4 where he had a 5 star match with Joe.



But those two didn't have a powerful gimmick and you can argue if they actually had one or not.
Unless Punk was willing to roid he's fighting an impossible fight. Sorry, he never had the size or the body to get noticed in the AE. Foley is the king of the death match. Exception to the rule. Michaels had Hollywood looks. Another exception. I wouldn't say it's impossible but his looks will push him down the ladder.

Foley and Austin were seasoned vets who were successful mid carders in WCW for years. These were guys Vince wanted to push from the start and there early booking shows that. A year into the company and Austin is feuding with Bret Hart. Tell me what superstar got consecutive wins over the Undertaker besides Foley?

Yeah Vince was open for ideas and gave wrestlers a lot of control over their characters but that doesn't mean anyone could have jumped up the ladder. There's no way Punk could ever steal Taker's push in 98. He's not taking Foley or Rock's either. SCSA really only worked with top talent so I'm not seeing when this supposed SES angle would have occurred.
GillbergReturns is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios