Why not push Asians or guys who were big there? - Page 4 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 01-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #31 (permalink)
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER
 
2 Ton 21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,592
2 Ton 21 better hope they're relatively new here2 Ton 21 better hope they're relatively new here2 Ton 21 better hope they're relatively new here2 Ton 21 better hope they're relatively new here2 Ton 21 better hope they're relatively new here2 Ton 21 better hope they're relatively new here2 Ton 21 better hope they're relatively new here2 Ton 21 better hope they're relatively new here2 Ton 21 better hope they're relatively new here2 Ton 21 better hope they're relatively new here2 Ton 21 better hope they're relatively new here
Default Re: Why not push Asians or guys who were big there?

Wish they had pushed Tajiri more. That guy always seemed to be over.
__________________
2 Ton 21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #32 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Mrs. Austin Aries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Formerly from Tokyo
Posts: 950
Mrs. Austin Aries needs to take rep more seriousMrs. Austin Aries needs to take rep more seriousMrs. Austin Aries needs to take rep more seriousMrs. Austin Aries needs to take rep more seriousMrs. Austin Aries needs to take rep more seriousMrs. Austin Aries needs to take rep more seriousMrs. Austin Aries needs to take rep more serious
Default Re: Why not push Asians or guys who were big there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeapingLannyPoffo View Post
I'll assume that you meant rapidly progressing Japanese society. They're not all dying at the age of 30, are they!?
They're right, actually. Japan is facing a serious problem of an aging society/population. It's one of their major national concerns. I lived there for over four and a half-years, and got my degree there in Asian Studies. That people still use the word "j*ps" on this board is reflective of the way a lot of Americans regard them: dismissively.

To the OP, I think Americans still don't know how to deal with Asians, which is as stupid as it is unfortunate. Even in the realm of movies they're still mostly relegated to martial arts films or used as humorous stereotypes. That they still make "Japanese" characters speak English with a Chinese accent should tell you something. I think American media tends to ignore Asians for the most part, or keep them in a comfortable place, the quiet, nerdy, kung-fu/karate kicking minority. I truly think Vince puts minorities there to be there, not because he actually cares about them. He's the Abe Lincoln of promoters, doing something to be seen as good while not really caring. Even taking the effort to get the Japanese audience out of the equation, there's still no truly viable reason why they couldn't make Japanese champions.

And the thing about Japan, for example, is that despite the fact that nearly 99% of the country is the same race/ethnicity, foreigners (especially Caucasians) are super-prevalent in their advertising, as the image of foreigners, particularly blond-haired, blue-eyed ones, is very popular. Point being that the foreignness of WWE wrestlers is not a detriment in Japan; it can actually be a plus. So while I don't think it will make much difference to WWE's popularity in Asia to have Asian champions, it's a shame that they don't just because.
__________________
Pro-wrestling is almost dead. Or maybe it died already and didn't realize it.
Mrs. Austin Aries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #33 (permalink)
TAKIN' A MULLIGAN
 
Chismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WHERE THE BUFFALO ROAM
Posts: 15,702
Chismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselves
Default Re: Why not push Asians or guys who were big there?

Casual American fans don't give a shit about Asian culture or wrestling. No matter how good they are.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbrian View Post
TV shows are the best entertainment programmes like wrestling. My favourite TV show is RAW and SMACK DOWN. I specially like fight of Rey mysterio and Randy Ortan. It was very amazing fight with lots of stunt.
Chismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #34 (permalink)
Humbled
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,096
nevereveragainu is an after thoughtnevereveragainu is an after thought
Default Re: Why not push Asians or guys who were big there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongside View Post
I thought Vince hated Asian people?
he is very pro US army so chances are he belives his home country is the make all and be all of the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Austin Aries View Post
To the OP, I think Americans still don't know how to deal with Asians, which is as stupid as it is unfortunate. Even in the realm of movies they're still mostly relegated to martial arts films or used as humorous stereotypes. That they still make "Japanese" characters speak English with a Chinese accent should tell you something. I think American media tends to ignore Asians for the most part, or keep them in a comfortable place, the quiet, nerdy, kung-fu/karate kicking minority. I truly think Vince puts minorities there to be there, not because he actually cares about them. He's the Abe Lincoln of promoters, doing something to be seen as good while not really caring..
sad but true

Last edited by nevereveragainu : 01-31-2013 at 01:39 PM.
nevereveragainu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #35 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
rockdig1228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 691
rockdig1228 needs to take rep more seriousrockdig1228 needs to take rep more seriousrockdig1228 needs to take rep more seriousrockdig1228 needs to take rep more seriousrockdig1228 needs to take rep more seriousrockdig1228 needs to take rep more serious
Default Re: Why not push Asians or guys who were big there?

There's lots of good points being made here, but I'll expand on one and come up with a scenario that could work - I think that in today's wrestling business, being a silent character is very, very difficult. Japanese wrestlers tend to get saddled with that because very few of them are fluent in English... it's not their fault, but it's just hard to connect with someone speaking when you have a hard time understanding them. Here's what I would propose:

Pair Yoshi Tatsu & Sakamoto to form a tag team, the New Orient Express. Now they need a mouthpiece - I'd bring in Jimmy Yang for that role, like a modern day Mr. Fuji. Since people will still probably remember him as Jimmy Wang Yang the Asian redneck, let him cut a promo where he renounces that old character, embraces his Asian ancestry (he's Korean-American) and states he will lead Tatsu & Sakamoto to glory.

This works because you now have three men of Asian ancestry, one of which is an American born citizen. He speaks fluent English - he tells a funny story on Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling podcast about going to Japan & everyone speaking to him in Japanese and having no clue what they're saying haha. He can be the mouthpiece for this group - if need be he could wrestle still, but his main role is to speak for Tatsu & Sakamoto. Will it happen? Of course not, but the pieces are there if they wanted to make it happen.
rockdig1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:03 PM   #36 (permalink)
Carpe Jugulum
 
Pratchett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,692
Pratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselves
Default Re: Why not push Asians or guys who were big there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdig1228 View Post
There's lots of good points being made here, but I'll expand on one and come up with a scenario that could work - I think that in today's wrestling business, being a silent character is very, very difficult. Japanese wrestlers tend to get saddled with that because very few of them are fluent in English... it's not their fault, but it's just hard to connect with someone speaking when you have a hard time understanding them. Here's what I would propose:

Pair Yoshi Tatsu & Sakamoto to form a tag team, the New Orient Express. Now they need a mouthpiece - I'd bring in Jimmy Yang for that role, like a modern day Mr. Fuji. Since people will still probably remember him as Jimmy Wang Yang the Asian redneck, let him cut a promo where he renounces that old character, embraces his Asian ancestry (he's Korean-American) and states he will lead Tatsu & Sakamoto to glory.

This works because you now have three men of Asian ancestry, one of which is an American born citizen. He speaks fluent English - he tells a funny story on Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling podcast about going to Japan & everyone speaking to him in Japanese and having no clue what they're saying haha. He can be the mouthpiece for this group - if need be he could wrestle still, but his main role is to speak for Tatsu & Sakamoto. Will it happen? Of course not, but the pieces are there if they wanted to make it happen.
That actually sounds like a damn good idea.
Too bad we will probably never see it.
Pratchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #37 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Mrs. Austin Aries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Formerly from Tokyo
Posts: 950
Mrs. Austin Aries needs to take rep more seriousMrs. Austin Aries needs to take rep more seriousMrs. Austin Aries needs to take rep more seriousMrs. Austin Aries needs to take rep more seriousMrs. Austin Aries needs to take rep more seriousMrs. Austin Aries needs to take rep more seriousMrs. Austin Aries needs to take rep more serious
Default Re: Why not push Asians or guys who were big there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdig1228 View Post
There's lots of good points being made here, but I'll expand on one and come up with a scenario that could work - I think that in today's wrestling business, being a silent character is very, very difficult. Japanese wrestlers tend to get saddled with that because very few of them are fluent in English... it's not their fault, but it's just hard to connect with someone speaking when you have a hard time understanding them. Here's what I would propose:

Pair Yoshi Tatsu & Sakamoto to form a tag team, the New Orient Express. Now they need a mouthpiece - I'd bring in Jimmy Yang for that role, like a modern day Mr. Fuji. Since people will still probably remember him as Jimmy Wang Yang the Asian redneck, let him cut a promo where he renounces that old character, embraces his Asian ancestry (he's Korean-American) and states he will lead Tatsu & Sakamoto to glory.

This works because you now have three men of Asian ancestry, one of which is an American born citizen. He speaks fluent English - he tells a funny story on Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling podcast about going to Japan & everyone speaking to him in Japanese and having no clue what they're saying haha. He can be the mouthpiece for this group - if need be he could wrestle still, but his main role is to speak for Tatsu & Sakamoto. Will it happen? Of course not, but the pieces are there if they wanted to make it happen.
That is funny because I've seen/heard a lot of cases like that. They never expected me to speak it, so it was often a surprise. Sometimes because they so strongly don't expect foreigners to speak Japanese they don't even realize when they actually are. I've had many friends who've spoken perfect Japanese but the Japanese person would struggle to say "I don't speak English" or something like that. I think you have a point about the English; when some foreigners go to Japan, they don't realize that few native Japanese actually speak English, even though English is everywhere (and Engrish ). But I think your idea is interesting.

What's frustrating is that Japanese are willing to put over Western talent, even though many (or most?) of those wrestlers don't speak Japanese, or speak very little. It's ironic that people go on about how xenophobic Japanese/Koreans are, but I think Americans are as much. That's been reflected quite vividly throughout the years in wrestling.
__________________
Pro-wrestling is almost dead. Or maybe it died already and didn't realize it.
Mrs. Austin Aries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #38 (permalink)
Moron
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: u cant see me
Posts: 787
Situation should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsSituation should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsSituation should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsSituation should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsSituation should be embarassed if they have more than 50 posts
Default Re: Why not push Asians or guys who were big there?

VINCE HATES ASIANS
Situation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #39 (permalink)
Humbled
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 109
LyotoDragonMachida is in rep purgatory
Default Re: Why not push Asians or guys who were big there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefort View Post
You're just wrong. The Japanese market shrunk massively. The Japanese don't care about wrestling half as much as they used to. It peaked in the 80s in Japan.

Same thing happened to MMA in Japan. That peaked in the 90s.

Both faded due to the rapidly aging Japanese society.
Actually you're wrong, I've been to Japan several times and it's very much alive there.

MMA isn't dead in Japan, Pride FC is dead. Dream went broke because they overshoot their budgets every show but they were able to deliver with another new years show this year and it was huge.

What happened to Japan would be like if a Brazilian company bought UFC. America would lose their biggest promotion but MMA wouldn't be dead here. MMA cards in Japan always bring in huge ratings and the Dream new years event is one of the biggest things on Japanese TV every year.
LyotoDragonMachida is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios