The hard question (20+ year old fans only please). - Page 9 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:27 AM
You can't please everyone, especially the marks
 
Chewie's Life Day Boner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Millenium Falcon (or thereabouts)
Posts: 2,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
                     
Re: The hard question (20+ year old fans only please).

Quote:
I think it's overly predictable. This and other forum websites don't change that in the slightest. If anything, these websites lean towards making WWE less predictable, as everyone has different opinions of 'what's going to happen next/what they would like to happen next'. I'm on and off this site all the time, but WWE continues to remain overly predictable and difficult to watch.
I call bullshit. Not just on this post in particular, but on any "smark" who thinks like this. You're not looking at this objectively, and you are admitting it when you say this. Just like lots of other folks on this forum and others, who are constantly spouting off the storylines and angles they would like to see, when they should know deep down that WWE and other promos really aren't interested in what they want. It's all about making $$$ and we all should know that.

Did any of you complainers on this site ever stop to think that maybe the reason storylines have gotten so predictable is because you have spent years watching this stuff and learned how to recognize when certain "creative tells" happen? Just like any show on TV, if a an idea or storyline worked in the past, it will probably be brought out again at some point. There are only so many ideas that can actually be brought up and used, and many of those may depend on factors outside of the writer's control. Injuries, crowd reactions, personal crap; we in the IWC don't actually work in the business, and there is so much we have no access to, in spite of the sheer number of smarks who believe they are now over since they learned a bunch of wrestling terms and found the "insider" info.

Don't misunsderstand me. I love this shit, and I can bitch about it as much as anyone. But in the end, I have to recognize that it's a TV show, and the only control I have over it is whether or not I watch it. One thing that keeps me from getting too upset is watching the shows with my son. All these storylines are new to him, and he is loving it. Any of you with kids know what I'm talking about. And for the record, he is a bigger CM Punk fan than Cena fan, so you know I'm raising him right.
Chewie's Life Day Boner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:28 AM
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
animus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Re: The hard question (20+ year old fans only please).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepinItReal View Post
I think wrestling results have always been predictable; top guys almost never lose clean, including the losses to monster heels (giants and Lesnar). Maybe there were more shocking moments during the AE, but today is definitely more entertaining than 2005-11.

I don't see why teenagers can't comment on wrestling being predictable; in fact, if there is a difference in predictability 'then' and now, that just shows that we find it more predictable today because we were younger back then. We bought into the idea that Rock might lose even though there was no cheating involved. That doesn't make sense. Even back then, we should've realized Rock will always win absent cheating.
Can agree with this. Same could apply to Hulk, Savage, and Warrior always winning absent cheating.
animus is offline  
post #83 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 AM
Humbled
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
       
Re: The hard question (20+ year old fans only please).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wiggle View Post
If (hoping you are) you're over the age of 20, do you feel you're too old for today's WWE product?

The question comes mainly in regards to the predictability of the product. Now some might argue they don't care if they can predict what's going to happen...but most I've spoken to do. It's like any television show I guess. If you could predict (overall) what's going to happen in every episode of a television drama let's say, a more mature mind would genuinely switch off. I think the WWE is so incredibly lucky to have such a loyal fan base, as older fans seem to have been quite forgiving in the past (definitely in the past couple of years with the product they've served up). Surely now (after the Rumble) it's gone too far though?

It's so incredibly predictable that even a monkey could work out what's going to happen week to week, month to month (overall). I have predicted outcomes with friends for a good year now and without fail we're 95% of the time right on the money.
There is no doubt the WWE are happy to play it safe and present a streamline product that can turn away a large demographic of fans, but will also forever keep and not offend another demographic.

So, what I'm asking other 20+ year old fans here is what they think. If you are happy...why? Do you just forgive the predictability because it's wrestling and you've had a connection with it for a while? Do you keep watching in the hope of being surprised? For me this will be the first Wrestlemania in over 10 years that I will not order and was also the first Royal Rumble in over 10 years that I didn't order. I picked the endings of the major matches (including Cena winning) and can do the same with Wrestlemania is why.

This isn't trying to be overly judgmental...I'm genuinely curious.
GOAT thread
Chi Town Punk is offline  
post #84 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
Big Wiggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
               
Re: The hard question (20+ year old fans only please).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcatter View Post
I call bullshit. Not just on this post in particular, but on any "smark" who thinks like this. You're not looking at this objectively, and you are admitting it when you say this. Just like lots of other folks on this forum and others, who are constantly spouting off the storylines and angles they would like to see, when they should know deep down that WWE and other promos really aren't interested in what they want. It's all about making $$$ and we all should know that.

Did any of you complainers on this site ever stop to think that maybe the reason storylines have gotten so predictable is because you have spent years watching this stuff and learned how to recognize when certain "creative tells" happen? Just like any show on TV, if a an idea or storyline worked in the past, it will probably be brought out again at some point. There are only so many ideas that can actually be brought up and used, and many of those may depend on factors outside of the writer's control. Injuries, crowd reactions, personal crap; we in the IWC don't actually work in the business, and there is so much we have no access to, in spite of the sheer number of smarks who believe they are now over since they learned a bunch of wrestling terms and found the "insider" info.

Don't misunsderstand me. I love this shit, and I can bitch about it as much as anyone. But in the end, I have to recognize that it's a TV show, and the only control I have over it is whether or not I watch it. One thing that keeps me from getting too upset is watching the shows with my son. All these storylines are new to him, and he is loving it. Any of you with kids know what I'm talking about. And for the record, he is a bigger CM Punk fan than Cena fan, so you know I'm raising him right.
To me this is just making an excuse for the current predictability of the product. There is no way you can possibly argue the WWE/F was this predictable in the Attitude Era. Or that WCW was as predictable during the height of the nWo. As a matter of fact the main instrument each company used to attack one another was unpredictable storylines. Sorry, but your comment is just incorrect.

In regards to watching it with your son, I think that speaks volumes. The fact you find it more enjoyable to watch the show with a child, leads me to think the product is a little too immature just for you to watch alone.

Thumbs up for him liking CM Punk though. I think that guy has been one of the very few reasons for over 20's to watch the show over the past couple of years. Unfortunately he'll never be able to reach his full potential under the current product (imo).


Last edited by Big Wiggle; 01-29-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Big Wiggle is offline  
post #85 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:48 AM
Learning to break kayfabe
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Re: The hard question (20+ year old fans only please).

I'm not too old, but I don't talk about wrestling with anyone. I watch it secretly in my room with the door locked. Thankfully, though, I also watch real sports so as not to arouse any suspicions.
stonecold261 is offline  
post #86 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 AM
THESE THOTS AIN'T LOYAL
 
scrilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: chatbox
Posts: 15,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: The hard question (20+ year old fans only please).

swerving for the sake of swerving is a horrible idea. WCW 2000 was unpredictable and the product fucking sucked. i don't want to get into it completely, but most TV shows i watch that are in the top tier aren't exactly predictable, but they don't swerve for the sake of it either. for example although Breaking Bad has a lot of unexpected shit happen along the way. they are building to a showdown between specific characters. if someone said "OMG HANK AND WALT ARE GOING TO FEUD NEXT SEASON SRSLY? SO PREDICTABLE FUCK THIS!!!" then i'd say that person is a dumbass. they also aren't trying to build up matches to sell on PPV or sell tickets to arenas.


Roid/Cena II will do a huge buyrate no matter how predictable it is. btw people were saying the same predictable shit about Austin in the late 90s at the height of the attitude era lol.


#BELLA&HOOPLA

Last edited by scrilla; 01-29-2013 at 02:53 AM.
scrilla is offline  
post #87 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 04:39 AM
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
               
Re: The hard question (20+ year old fans only please).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wiggle View Post
How old are you (please be truthful)?
26.

And I don't appreciate the inference that anybody who disagrees with you must be a child.
Kincaid is offline  
post #88 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 AM
Learning to break kayfabe
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Re: The hard question (20+ year old fans only please).

i agree way too predictable especially anything involving John Cena or Ryback. i miss the old days.
top 5 wrestlers
Jericho
Rock
Edge
HBK
Undetaker
KKwheelchair is offline  
post #89 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
Big Wiggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
               
Re: The hard question (20+ year old fans only please).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kincaid View Post
26.

And I don't appreciate the inference that anybody who disagrees with you must be a child.
I was just curious. Wasn't inferring anything...I think that's your insecurity. Your opinion seems to be in the minority is all.

Big Wiggle is offline  
post #90 of 117 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
Big Wiggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
               
Re: The hard question (20+ year old fans only please).

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrilla View Post
swerving for the sake of swerving is a horrible idea. WCW 2000 was unpredictable and the product fucking sucked. i don't want to get into it completely, but most TV shows i watch that are in the top tier aren't exactly predictable, but they don't swerve for the sake of it either. for example although Breaking Bad has a lot of unexpected shit happen along the way. they are building to a showdown between specific characters. if someone said "OMG HANK AND WALT ARE GOING TO FEUD NEXT SEASON SRSLY? SO PREDICTABLE FUCK THIS!!!" then i'd say that person is a dumbass. they also aren't trying to build up matches to sell on PPV or sell tickets to arenas.


Roid/Cena II will do a huge buyrate no matter how predictable it is. btw people were saying the same predictable shit about Austin in the late 90s at the height of the attitude era lol.
No one is asking for 'swerving for the sake of swerving' I don't think. It's mainly just (in your words) 'a lot of unexpected shit happening along the way' that a more mature audience seems to be looking for (but will probably never get).

I also feel your opinion might be slightly biased due to your great passion for Cena. I could be wrong though.

Big Wiggle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome