Why did Hogan job to The Rock, but not Austin? - Page 16 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, ROH, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #151 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 340
Carr1 101 - 250Carr1 101 - 250
Default Re: Why did Hogan job to The Rock, but not Austin?

I question whether Hogan really put over The Rock. I mean surely, creative could have guessed that the crowd would have rooted for Hogan, I mean he was SO big in the past, his story was famous and he had been away for so long. The match imo did a lot of damage for The Rocks credibility and character (which he managed to eventually turn around with the Hollywood Rock persona ironically) Perhaps Austin had the foresight to simply say screw that
Carr1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #152 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
donlesnar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,013
donlesnar is being a bitchdonlesnar is being a bitch
Default Re: Why did Hogan job to The Rock, but not Austin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redban View Post
Where is your source? What DVD? Which interview? Which book?

Stone Cold in his 2004 biography Stone Cold Truth said nothing about a match with Hogan. If he was offered the match and refused because of bad-blood with Hogan, then he would have spoke about it in-depth. He didn't say anything about it because it never happened.
a simple wikipedia search will solve all ur doubts
__________________
donlesnar is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #153 (permalink)
Learning to break kayfabe
 
Mr. Straight Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 47
Mr. Straight Edge 101 - 250Mr. Straight Edge 101 - 250
Default Re: Why did Hogan job to The Rock, but not Austin?

Jealousy, I would imagine.

Here's the deal: we're talking about the biggest star in wrestling history (Hogan), against the biggest star in wrestling at the time and probably the second biggest in history (Austin).

Both refused to do the job because of it. Hogan, because he's Hogan, and Austin because he resented his treatment in WCW when guys like Hogan came in.

The reason Hogan jobbed to The Rock? This is where we veer into the dangerous Rock/Austin territory, but I think it's because Hogan was convinced Rock was outside of their level. Whether that was the case or not (I don't think it was), I think it's what Hogan believed.

There's a clip of Hogan talking about that match, in which he says: "It took him [Rock] from great, to greatness."

Typical Hogan. The Rock was already at that level with him and Austin in terms of stardom; but anyway, it seems to me he saw an opportunity either to job to Austin, a guy on his level, and figure that would have put The Rattlesnake above him.

Jobbing to The Rock meant putting over a guy he considered just below his and Austin's level, and thus he's convinced himself he made The Rock, to some extent.
Mr. Straight Edge is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #154 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
zxLegionxz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,458
zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500zxLegionxz 1001 - 1500
Default Re: Why did Hogan job to The Rock, but not Austin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redban View Post
Where is your source? What DVD? Which interview? Which book?

Stone Cold in his 2004 biography Stone Cold Truth said nothing about a match with Hogan. If he was offered the match and refused because of bad-blood with Hogan, then he would have spoke about it in-depth. He didn't say anything about it because it never happened.


Hogan,Austin,Rock and Vince have said the same a quick search on this forum would get you a video

This whole ego talk is from people who have no idea what they are talking about
__________________
http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo250/zxLegionSkullxz/goat.png


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock316AE View Post

No problem bro, just thought it can be used a lot, especially now when The GOAT is coming back to be the Shark of greatness in the middle of a sea of mediocrity :Rock
zxLegionxz is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #155 (permalink)
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER
 
CharliePrince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,919
CharliePrince 501 - 1000CharliePrince 501 - 1000CharliePrince 501 - 1000CharliePrince 501 - 1000CharliePrince 501 - 1000CharliePrince 501 - 1000CharliePrince 501 - 1000CharliePrince 501 - 1000
Default Re: Why did Hogan job to The Rock, but not Austin?

Bottom Line: Hogan knew The Rock was a BOSS!

Hogan never saw Austin as an equal or worse, better than him.. he always saw the rattlesnake beneath him

that's why he jobbed cleanly to the great one
__________________
CharliePrince is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #156 (permalink)
Fired by SCOTT STEINER
 
Rick_James's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,110
Rick_James 3001 - 3500Rick_James 3001 - 3500Rick_James 3001 - 3500Rick_James 3001 - 3500Rick_James 3001 - 3500Rick_James 3001 - 3500Rick_James 3001 - 3500Rick_James 3001 - 3500Rick_James 3001 - 3500Rick_James 3001 - 3500Rick_James 3001 - 3500
Default Re: Why did Hogan job to The Rock, but not Austin?

Besides neither guy wanting to job to the other, Austin said that their styles really conflicted, which is true. Hogan's matches go at a much slower pace, it's sort of a build up in which he tells a story, whereas Austin's matches are much more explosive and physical - the two dudes probably wouldn't have put on a good match... even Austin mentioned this in an Opie and Anthony interview.

Rock vs Hogan just made more sense, at the time (and probably since) the Rock has been the bigger star.
Rick_James is online now  
Old 01-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #157 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
The People's H2O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,166
The People's H2O 501 - 1000The People's H2O 501 - 1000The People's H2O 501 - 1000The People's H2O 501 - 1000The People's H2O 501 - 1000The People's H2O 501 - 1000The People's H2O 501 - 1000
Default Re: Why did Hogan job to The Rock, but not Austin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthenaMark View Post
Actually..the Rock only lost at Mania 2000 to HHH via a conspiracy and at Judgement Day, if you want to call that a "lost", it was via a DQ? Absurd. HHH lost 3 PPV matches to the Rock in 2000. It was the Rock's year. He got highest ratings, made HHH relevant, made Kurt Angle relevant, started the huge build up to Rock/Austin from Sept 2000 and onwards, classic encounters with Benoit/HHH/Angle, interacting with lower talent the likes that HHH/Austin did not, etc. Did all of this while going any and everywhere for the WWE and putting the comapany on his back like no one in history.

HHH was a heel in 2000 that won alot of matches but fans didn't buy 100% into or they would of rooted for him outside of the Benoit/Angle stuff. They didn't.
Actually, that's not true. If you look back to mid 1999-mid 2000, HHH pinned Rock ATLEAST 7 times, if you wanna count thier matches at Raw & Smackdown aswell as their PPV matches. Sames thing with foley...I don't think foley ever got a win over HHH during their late 1999-early 2000 fued, and if my memory serves me correctly, HHH pinned twice right before thier match at the Rumble..it didn't make sense at all.

Last edited by The People's H2O : 01-21-2013 at 01:53 PM.
The People's H2O is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #158 (permalink)
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,784
promoter2003 501 - 1000promoter2003 501 - 1000promoter2003 501 - 1000promoter2003 501 - 1000promoter2003 501 - 1000promoter2003 501 - 1000promoter2003 501 - 1000
Default Re: Why did Hogan job to The Rock, but not Austin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Straight Edge View Post
Jealousy, I would imagine.

Here's the deal: we're talking about the biggest star in wrestling history (Hogan), against the biggest star in wrestling at the time and probably the second biggest in history (Austin).

Both refused to do the job because of it. Hogan, because he's Hogan, and Austin because he resented his treatment in WCW when guys like Hogan came in.

The reason Hogan jobbed to The Rock? This is where we veer into the dangerous Rock/Austin territory, but I think it's because Hogan was convinced Rock was outside of their level. Whether that was the case or not (I don't think it was), I think it's what Hogan believed.

There's a clip of Hogan talking about that match, in which he says: "It took him [Rock] from great, to greatness."

Typical Hogan. The Rock was already at that level with him and Austin in terms of stardom; but anyway, it seems to me he saw an opportunity either to job to Austin, a guy on his level, and figure that would have put The Rattlesnake above him.

Jobbing to The Rock meant putting over a guy he considered just below his and Austin's level, and thus he's convinced himself he made The Rock, to some extent.
I think people over analyze this whole thing and just don't use the bottom line as Austin says. STORYLINE WISE if Austin vs. Hogan is booked who goes over? Austin vs. Hogan is a bigger headache booking wise, while Hogan/Rock is easier to deal with. If Vince Mcmahon didn't ask Austin there is a very good reason for it. Hogan/Austin legacy wise is much more hard to deal with because if it is promoted as the match to decide who the best ever is there are multiple problems that would arise.

Now I added to this thread by stating how some radio personalities that actually talk with people in the company stated how Austin turned down the match first. The whole irony of it all is that those radio personalities said Austin most likely turned down the match for the reasons you mentioned that Hogan would try to use the match to get his name back in good graces with the fans around the world. That is EXACTLY what happened with The Rock match.

We are also not looking at the company's long term plans that obviously had Brock Lesnar in the picture with him being the WWF Champion at the end of SummerSlam. So the passing of the torch happened with the old school with Hogan to Rock who in turn passes the torch to Brock Lesnar. Hogan just added to the sizzle by jobbing to Lesnar on television.

Now the argument that some make is that Austin has never acknowledged publicly about being asked to do the match first. The first thing you have to ask is what would the purpose of bringing that subject up would do if in fact Austin was the one who didn't want the match?

History shows that it is indeed Steve Austin who didn't want anything to do with a Hogan/Austin match. As for Austin saying retrospectively that him and Hogan should have been the match at WM 18 still doesn't negate the possibility that he didn't want to do the match AT THAT TIME. Austin saying it years later on a dvd is quite possibly done for the obvious historical glare of why Hogan/Austin never went down as it was obvious to A LOT of people why Hogan/Austin wasn't done when all logical wrestling sense states Hogan/Austin would be the obvious choice.

If Austin denied dropping the title to HHH why is it a stretch that is is possible that we don't know that Austin possibly denied fans of Hogan/Austin. The argument of Austin never admitting it is akin to Shawn Michaels never admitting he was in on the Montreal Screwjob which he denied for over a decade until the company was in good graces with Bret Hart again.

What good could come out of the company or the participants admitting politics caused Hogan/Austin from happening? There is no good in it that's why. I'm not saying one way or the other, but I'm not going to completely believe there was no way in hell that the match was nixed because of Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin's ego either. I think that is being quite naive as both Hogan and Austin are notorious for protecting their brand names.
promoter2003 is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #159 (permalink)
Working on my abs
 
Marv95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Philly
Posts: 2,878
Marv95 501 - 1000Marv95 501 - 1000Marv95 501 - 1000Marv95 501 - 1000Marv95 501 - 1000Marv95 501 - 1000
Default Re: Why did Hogan job to The Rock, but not Austin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murder View Post
Right. Angle had more starpower, more credibility and both already had history with the unresolved angle with Stephanie from 2000. They could have done the same angle for mania 18 that they did for No Way Out 2002.

Hunter vs Jericho could have happened at No Way Out instead.
How would that had worked? Would HHH pull a Cena 2008 and cash in at NWO? Or would you have let Angle win the Rumble and have HHH beat Jericho?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazegod99 View Post
You fucking politically correct morons are quick to defend WWE for every pussy ass decision they make, but complain about the show lacking attitude and intensity... SMH.
Right on!
Marv95 is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #160 (permalink)
Working on my abs
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,524
murder 1001 - 1500murder 1001 - 1500murder 1001 - 1500murder 1001 - 1500murder 1001 - 1500murder 1001 - 1500murder 1001 - 1500murder 1001 - 1500murder 1001 - 1500murder 1001 - 1500
Default Re: Why did Hogan job to The Rock, but not Austin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
How would that had worked? Would HHH pull a Cena 2008 and cash in at NWO? Or would you have let Angle win the Rumble and have HHH beat Jericho?
No they would have stuck to the original plan that saw Angle becoming Undisputed champion at Vengeance.

Angle defends the title against Rock at Rumble and against Austin at NWO. Hunter wins the Rumble match and faces Jericho at NWO for his number one contender spot.
murder is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios