El Generico Signs With WWE - Page 19 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 01-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #181 (permalink)
Working on a novel about about nothing
 
Concrete's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Castle Creek,NY
Posts: 1,682
Concrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missedConcrete probably won't be missed
Default Re: El Generico Signs With WWE

First I'd like to say that I now hope people can trust the people at PWPonderings. Those guys rarely "break news" for the fact that they want to be as close to 100% sure before they release any information. Would be a big blow for a website the focuses primarily on independent wrestling to have their credibility ruined. Good on them. I trust them just as much if not more than other websites since they don't release this stuff in any sort of volume. I understand why people may have been uneasy to begin with but hopefully if this happens again there will be less uneasy-ness.

Now on to El Generico. The man is the last guy who could make almost the universal claim that he was the best wrestler on the independents. Steen is still there but he isn't quite the same guy that Generico is so there is a little bit more of a debate now. WWE has now managed to create the biggest collection of top-tier independent wrestlers in the largest promotion in the world. They may have managed to do that before Generico but this just cements it. Generico isn't the biggest wrestler on the planet but I wouldn't say he is the smallest guy either. His move set will be toned down(rather say that than watered down) but in the end the little things he does will still be intact. What they do with his gimmick and name will be interesting to see. If they take the mask off him I feel like they would be doing the man a disservice. With Danielson,Punk,Black, and Castagnoli being featured on WWE Television I can't see why Generico along with PAC and Hero can't make it like them as well.

Am I the only one interested in a WWE with independent stars and WWE type guys on a more even playing field?
__________________

https://spandexarestillcool.wordpress.com/ If you wanna follow my Twitter! @SammyJ_D
Concrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #182 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
rockdig1228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 706
rockdig1228 needs to take rep more seriousrockdig1228 needs to take rep more seriousrockdig1228 needs to take rep more seriousrockdig1228 needs to take rep more seriousrockdig1228 needs to take rep more seriousrockdig1228 needs to take rep more serious
Default Re: El Generico Signs With WWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenedone9 View Post
Am I the only one interested in a WWE with independent stars and WWE type guys on a more even playing field?
You sir, are not alone.

In regards to El Generico specifically, here's the best reasoning I've heard for a possible gimmick change in the WWE.

From 411mania.com's Sean Kelly:
"He probably won't be called El Generico. WWE likes to own the trademarks associated with their talent. Unless Generico signed over his name and all associated elements (mask design, etc.) then I would expect him to debut under a different name. In fact, I'd be surprised if he debuted with any sort of Mexican gimmick. Remember WWE is a publicly traded company and is much more risk adverse than in years past. I'm sure they're having discussions right now on whether a Canadian portraying (and perhaps even mocking) Mexican culture is something they want to roll the dice with. WWE treasures its Latino market, and I'd be very surprised if they would risk alienating them for El Generico."

While I tend to see Generico's gimmick as an homage to luchadors and not directly mocking them, I can see this being a viable argument.
rockdig1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #183 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
Pappa Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,176
Pappa Bacon Pappa Bacon Pappa Bacon Pappa Bacon Pappa Bacon Pappa Bacon
Default Re: El Generico Signs With WWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenedone9 View Post
First I'd like to say that I now hope people can trust the people at PWPonderings. Those guys rarely "break news" for the fact that they want to be as close to 100% sure before they release any information. Would be a big blow for a website the focuses primarily on independent wrestling to have their credibility ruined. Good on them. I trust them just as much if not more than other websites since they don't release this stuff in any sort of volume. I understand why people may have been uneasy to begin with but hopefully if this happens again there will be less uneasy-ness.

Now on to El Generico. The man is the last guy who could make almost the universal claim that he was the best wrestler on the independents. Steen is still there but he isn't quite the same guy that Generico is so there is a little bit more of a debate now. WWE has now managed to create the biggest collection of top-tier independent wrestlers in the largest promotion in the world. They may have managed to do that before Generico but this just cements it. Generico isn't the biggest wrestler on the planet but I wouldn't say he is the smallest guy either. His move set will be toned down(rather say that than watered down) but in the end the little things he does will still be intact. What they do with his gimmick and name will be interesting to see. If they take the mask off him I feel like they would be doing the man a disservice. With Danielson,Punk,Black, and Castagnoli being featured on WWE Television I can't see why Generico along with PAC and Hero can't make it like them as well.

Am I the only one interested in a WWE with independent stars and WWE type guys on a more even playing field?
i think its great, i love that they are signing these guys and bringing them in. i feel like HHH has noticed most of these guys have put years into the business and that speaks volumes. the above mentioned guys already have proven they can put on amazing matches, are super over with crowds, and can be the stars of their respected organizations, PWG, ROH, and so on. its a good business move to get guys that are more established have polished resumes, rather then building a form scratch project that who knows how they will turn out. i think with the direction they are going with guys like Pac and Generico coupled with some of the other guys in NXT they might be considering bringing back the cruiserweight title. If they do Pac, Generico, Rollins should all be corner stones of that division.
__________________
Pappa Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #184 (permalink)
Learning to break kayfabe
 
regalsnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 159
regalsnake regalsnake
Default Re: El Generico Signs With WWE

I suspect that the tried and tested approach of creating 'in-house' stars has generally failed (Eric Escobar springs to mind immediately, though there are probably countless other examples). They are probably looking at signing guys who really know their craft, then giving them the 'Sports Entertainment' makeover/polish...easier than teaching a former bodybuilder/gridiron player the ropes (literally!) from scratch.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMidget View Post
-Hey, did you see Randy Orton's face when he lost the belt? I didn't, because IT WAS GETTING SMASHED INTO THE CANVAS, BOOYAKA!!!!.

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

...And thats the bottom line, cos Stone Cold said so!

...ohhhhhh, you didn't know???
regalsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #185 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Ron Swanson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 812
Ron Swanson should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsRon Swanson should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsRon Swanson should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsRon Swanson should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsRon Swanson should be embarassed if they have more than 50 posts
Default Re: El Generico Signs With WWE

Dirtsheets are saying 2 guys with a try out this month are Adam Cole and Sami Callahan.
Ron Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #186 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Strongside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 907
Strongside needs to make some friendsStrongside needs to make some friendsStrongside needs to make some friendsStrongside needs to make some friendsStrongside needs to make some friendsStrongside needs to make some friendsStrongside needs to make some friendsStrongside needs to make some friendsStrongside needs to make some friendsStrongside needs to make some friendsStrongside needs to make some friends
Default Re: El Generico Signs With WWE

Hopefully they'll utilize him correctly!
Strongside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #187 (permalink)
Humbled
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 475
Roncaglione is an after thoughtRoncaglione is an after thought
Default Re: El Generico Signs With WWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
Dirtsheets are saying 2 guys with a try out this month are Adam Cole and Sami Callahan.
Nope just one. Wrestling Observer.
Roncaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #188 (permalink)
Moron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philly
Posts: 4,994
-Extra- -Extra- -Extra- -Extra- -Extra- -Extra- -Extra- -Extra- -Extra- -Extra- -Extra-
Default Re: El Generico Signs With WWE

Any photos of El Generico without the mask if its true that they might debut him as some other character? What's he looking like? Young Sheamus?
-Extra- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #189 (permalink)
Humbled
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor
Posts: 1,231
blur needs to make some friendsblur needs to make some friendsblur needs to make some friendsblur needs to make some friendsblur needs to make some friendsblur needs to make some friendsblur needs to make some friendsblur needs to make some friendsblur needs to make some friendsblur needs to make some friends
Default Re: El Generico Signs With WWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Extra- View Post
Any photos of El Generico without the mask if its true that they might debut him as some other character? What's he looking like? Young Sheamus?
blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #190 (permalink)
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
 
Smoogle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,114
Smoogle needs to make some friendsSmoogle needs to make some friendsSmoogle needs to make some friendsSmoogle needs to make some friendsSmoogle needs to make some friendsSmoogle needs to make some friendsSmoogle needs to make some friendsSmoogle needs to make some friendsSmoogle needs to make some friends
Default Re: El Generico Signs With WWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
i love how your picture of CM PUNK perfectly describes his picture without the mask on lol
Smoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios