Why can't bigger names win other titles? - Page 2 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 01-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
doctor doom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,160
doctor doom 501 - 1000doctor doom 501 - 1000doctor doom 501 - 1000doctor doom 501 - 1000doctor doom 501 - 1000doctor doom 501 - 1000
Default Re: Why can't bigger names win other titles?

I remember back in like 05-06 the US title division on Smackdown had more maineventers in it then the WHC division. WHC was basically Undertaker, Edge, Batista. US title; Benoit, Booker T, Christian, Ken Kennedy, MVP, JBL, Bobby Lashley, etc..
__________________

Chris Benoit, CM Punk, Stone Cold, Ric Flair, Antonio Cesaro, NAKAMURA, Okada, Devitt
doctor doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,385
IRISHwhip78 101 - 250IRISHwhip78 101 - 250
Default Re: Why can't bigger names win other titles?

I'd like to see the WWE do this... They could even build a storyline around it. Orton wants to be the best Wrestler ever and he realizes the only way to do this is to win all the WWE Titles so he goes after the US belt.

Seamus could just flat out hate the fact that the IC belt is held by a Brit so he goes after that title.

Cena could be upset that the US Title is around the waist of a guy like Cesaro who doesnt like AMerica.

Del Rio could have it in his contract if he wins all the WWE belts he gets a huge bump in pay.

There could be a bump in pay for the Championship purse for all wrestlers.

Someone like DH Smith could want to follow in the foot steps of there favorite wrestler growing up and win that title and that belt could mean more to him then the World TItle.
IRISHwhip78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lacing SCOTT STEINER's boots
 
jonoaries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 555 Centaur Dr.
Posts: 4,306
jonoaries 1501 - 2000jonoaries 1501 - 2000jonoaries 1501 - 2000jonoaries 1501 - 2000jonoaries 1501 - 2000jonoaries 1501 - 2000jonoaries 1501 - 2000jonoaries 1501 - 2000jonoaries 1501 - 2000jonoaries 1501 - 2000jonoaries 1501 - 2000
Default Re: Why can't bigger names win other titles?

The problem is they don't care about the secondary titles, they only care about protecting the "top guys". WWE is a good ol' boys club. Putting a secondary title on someone is great....until they have to drop it..then it becomes a problem. Nobody wants to put people over anymore and those who don't mind, get used to put over guys too much.


They trying to use the midcard titles to get guys over but the title can't get you over, you already have to be over. The title is only worth what the champion is worth....period. If you treat the champion like shit, that means the title aint shit.


They really need to go back to an old school idea of being a CHAMPION is important and its what matters
jonoaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Been there, done that, and got the T-shirt, son, and you're just doing reruns.
 
Elipses Corter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 10,211
Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500
Default Re: Why can't bigger names win other titles?

Biggest problem is too many titles. IC Title & US Title lose all importance due to 2 World Titles often on the same show. IMO, it should only be 1 World Title and 1 secondary title, as it strengthens the division for the secondary title.

It's just dumb when "wrestler A" feuds for the WHC for 3-4 months, loses and instantly goes to feuding for the WWE Title. What happen to building your way back up? Now, you just get put in a random number 1 contender match to get a title shot. For example, Chris Jericho. Royal Rumble, EC, RAW, WM and ER he either faced the WWE Champion or had an opportunity to face the champion and that lasted 4 months. Immediately after, he feuds for the WHC before getting back in the WWE Title picture. Why not have him go for the IC/US Title and help boost a mid card talent and make the title seem relevant?
Elipses Corter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
FEED ME LESS!
 
Until May's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Laconia, NH
Posts: 3,786
Until May 251 - 500Until May 251 - 500Until May 251 - 500Until May 251 - 500Until May 251 - 500
Default Re: Why can't bigger names win other titles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deandre Cole View Post
Biggest problem is too many titles. IC Title & US Title lose all importance due to 2 World Titles often on the same show. IMO, it should only be 1 World Title and 1 secondary title, as it strengthens the division for the secondary title.

It's just dumb when "wrestler A" feuds for the WHC for 3-4 months, loses and instantly goes to feuding for the WWE Title. What happen to building your way back up? Now, you just get put in a random number 1 contender match to get a title shot. For example, Chris Jericho. Royal Rumble, EC, RAW, WM and ER he either faced the WWE Champion or had an opportunity to face the champion and that lasted 4 months. Immediately after, he feuds for the WHC before getting back in the WWE Title picture. Why not have him go for the IC/US Title and help boost a mid card talent and make the title seem relevant?

how does that help? the secondary title will still be SECONDARY therefore not as important then the main title, and making it even more difficult to elevate superstars
__________________
Until May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Little Poppa Pump
 
Regnes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Prince George, British Columbia
Posts: 2,261
Regnes 1001 - 1500Regnes 1001 - 1500Regnes 1001 - 1500Regnes 1001 - 1500Regnes 1001 - 1500Regnes 1001 - 1500Regnes 1001 - 1500Regnes 1001 - 1500Regnes 1001 - 1500
Default Re: Why can't bigger names win other titles?

It's mostly because the writing and booking staff have issues in dealing with post-main event runs with most performers. If you have a guy who was world champion or at least seriously feuding for a world title, you can't just have him go and have him win a secondary title, it would kill his status since it implies he's only good enough for that title. Instead there needs to be a transitional period where a big name is eased back onto the backburner for a while. To my knowledge, Chris Jericho is the only recent example of success in this department. Chris Jericho has been a main carder for over a decade, yet he's rarely ever in the main event overall, he gets high profile feuds, get's his exposure then is eased back in line where he can carry his status and make secondaries look more important. It's the reason why he's held the IC title more than anybody else.
Regnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
B. [R]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ocala
Posts: 526
B. [R] 251 - 500B. [R] 251 - 500B. [R] 251 - 500B. [R] 251 - 500
Default Re: Why can't bigger names win other titles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regnes View Post
It's mostly because the writing and booking staff have issues in dealing with post-main event runs with most performers. If you have a guy who was world champion or at least seriously feuding for a world title, you can't just have him go and have him win a secondary title, it would kill his status since it implies he's only good enough for that title. Instead there needs to be a transitional period where a big name is eased back onto the backburner for a while. To my knowledge, Chris Jericho is the only recent example of success in this department. Chris Jericho has been a main carder for over a decade, yet he's rarely ever in the main event overall, he gets high profile feuds, get's his exposure then is eased back in line where he can carry his status and make secondaries look more important. It's the reason why he's held the IC title more than anybody else.
ALL. OF. THIS. Seriously, what would Chris Jericho IC title reign number 10 accomplish? Another notch on his resume sure, but the only person I can see him putting over that would matter is Wade Barrett, it makes sense from a storyline perspective yeah, it would make sense. Other than that, with such a shallow main event pool they couldn't have afforded for Jericho to not to go after the main belts.

It especially worked considering that all CM Punk was doing was midcarding with the belt all year. Everyone knows Vince and co. don't like Jericho in the main event so it just worked as much as it pains me to say it. OT: Main Event superstars do need to go lower down the card during a lull, because it does help to put over up coming talent and bring credibility to both that superstar and the belt.
B. [R] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Actor in the making
 
TheatricalEssence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 6,185
TheatricalEssence 1501 - 2000TheatricalEssence 1501 - 2000TheatricalEssence 1501 - 2000TheatricalEssence 1501 - 2000TheatricalEssence 1501 - 2000TheatricalEssence 1501 - 2000TheatricalEssence 1501 - 2000TheatricalEssence 1501 - 2000TheatricalEssence 1501 - 2000TheatricalEssence 1501 - 2000TheatricalEssence 1501 - 2000
Default Re: Why can't bigger names win other titles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHwhip78 View Post
I'd like to see the WWE do this... They could even build a storyline around it. Orton wants to be the best Wrestler ever and he realizes the only way to do this is to win all the WWE Titles so he goes after the US belt.

Seamus could just flat out hate the fact that the IC belt is held by a Brit so he goes after that title.

Cena could be upset that the US Title is around the waist of a guy like Cesaro who doesnt like AMerica.

Del Rio could have it in his contract if he wins all the WWE belts he gets a huge bump in pay.

There could be a bump in pay for the Championship purse for all wrestlers.

Someone like DH Smith could want to follow in the foot steps of there favorite wrestler growing up and win that title and that belt could mean more to him then the World TItle.
David Hart Smith? Dude was released ages ago.

On topic I agree. It would be nice to see some top tier guys be in mid-card title feuds. Not everyone can be at the top all at once. I hate when guys are 'too good' for a title. Like when Orton and Cody Rhodes feuded and Rhodes was IC champ. But their PPV match was non-title. Makes no sense, why would Orton not want to win a championship? Regardless of it's placement on the championship hierarchy if you have an opportunity to win some gold you take it.
__________________
TheatricalEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lacing SCOTT STEINER's boots
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,028
TempestH 501 - 1000TempestH 501 - 1000TempestH 501 - 1000TempestH 501 - 1000TempestH 501 - 1000TempestH 501 - 1000TempestH 501 - 1000
Default Re: Why can't bigger names win other titles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHwhip78 View Post
I'd like to see the WWE do this... They could even build a storyline around it. Orton wants to be the best Wrestler ever and he realizes the only way to do this is to win all the WWE Titles so he goes after the US belt.

Seamus could just flat out hate the fact that the IC belt is held by a Brit so he goes after that title.

Cena could be upset that the US Title is around the waist of a guy like Cesaro who doesnt like AMerica.

Del Rio could have it in his contract if he wins all the WWE belts he gets a huge bump in pay.

There could be a bump in pay for the Championship purse for all wrestlers.

Someone like DH Smith could want to follow in the foot steps of there favorite wrestler growing up and win that title and that belt could mean more to him then the World TItle.
I once read an idea of John Cena winning hte Intercontinental Championship. Since Cena is "the main event", he would continue main eventing as IC Champ, and he would rub it in the WWE Champion, CM Punk's face that he's holding the secondary belt and is still seen as more important, which would further fuel Punk's quest for respect.


I think more main eventers need to pursue the secondary titles as well. Or at least the Intercontinental Title.

These are the guys who are generally considered "main eventers" (the guys who could be put in a World Title match and not look out of place):

CM Punk (WWE Champion)
Big Show (World Heavyweight Champion)
John Cena
Sheamus
Ryback
Alberto Del Rio
Randy ORton
Kane (Tag Team Champion)
Daniel Bryan (Tag Team Champion)
Rey Mysterio
The Miz
Christian
Mark Henry
Dolph Ziggler
Wade Barrett (Intercontinental Champion)

The problem is that since all of these guys can't feud for the World Title(s) at the same time, they end up in this weird middle spot where they're considered "too good for the midcard", and they basically just float around either squashing jobbers, or thrown into meaningless feuds that serve no purpose other than making sure they get booked on the PPV.

Last edited by TempestH : 01-04-2013 at 10:22 PM.
TempestH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
bme
Getting over in the mid-card
 
bme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,798
bme 2001 - 2500bme 2001 - 2500bme 2001 - 2500bme 2001 - 2500bme 2001 - 2500bme 2001 - 2500bme 2001 - 2500bme 2001 - 2500bme 2001 - 2500bme 2001 - 2500bme 2001 - 2500
Default Re: Why can't bigger names win other titles?

A midcarder beats a main-eventer for a midcard title, congratulations you're still a midcarder now holding a midcard title. Unless a push into the main event is in the near future the win is meaningless. No former world champion should be competing for lesser titles i don't care if you're Cena or Swagger, you've held the top title in the company and shouldn't be competing for anything less.
__________________
Currently watching: NXT, WWF('97-'98), WCW('00-'01), NJPW, CMLL, AAA, Dragon Gate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber B View Post
The "but WWE did it" argument got played out in 2010. Stupid and sloppy + stupid and sloppy does not equal a positive.
bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios