Jim Duggan says Wrestling Doesn’t Need Beer-Swilling and Middle Finger Gestures - Page 3 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCMXCII
 
A$AP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,209
A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000
Default Re: Jim Duggan says Wrestling Doesn’t Need Beer-Swilling and Middle Finger Gestures

Quote:
Originally Posted by itssoeasy23 View Post
The guy has been wrestling for over 30 years. I'm pretty sure he knows a whole hell of a lot more than you do.

And he's right, wrestling doesn't need obscene gestures and middle fingers to be entertaining. The Attitude Era was, in essence, a fad. It was a way to compete with WCW, to push the envelope to get better viewers and numbers than WCW. It wasn't long-term or anything, after WCW went out of business they went back to "family entertainment," what made WWE famous in the first place.

I don't understand why people are taking what he said so personally, it's his opinion anyway. Some people have to realize that wrestling didn't begin and end with the Attitude Era.
Just completely ignore the whole second post where I explained exactly what I meant.

People are taking it personally because the perfect wrestling show he's describing would bore people to death. 95 was exactly what he was describing and that year was unbearable for people such as myself. Cartoony, hokey patriotic heroes against even cartoonier and hokey "bad guys". No thanks. That's where we were headed until the rise of Punk too.

It's all a matter of taste. For my personal preference, the type of show he's describing sounds like a nightmare.
__________________


A$AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 12-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Fired by SCOTT STEINER
 
septurum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 5,443
septurum 501 - 1000septurum 501 - 1000septurum 501 - 1000septurum 501 - 1000septurum 501 - 1000septurum 501 - 1000septurum 501 - 1000septurum 501 - 1000
Default Re: Jim Duggan says Wrestling Doesn’t Need Beer-Swilling and Middle Finger Gestures

I think Duggan just wants a family friendly show where kids can go and the parents have no need to fear anything being offensive.
__________________


He who seeks vengeance must dig two graves. One for his enemy and one for himself.
septurum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Working on my abs
 
itssoeasy23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,733
itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500
Default Re: Jim Duggan says Wrestling Doesn’t Need Beer-Swilling and Middle Finger Gestures

Quote:
Originally Posted by A$AP View Post
Just completely ignore the whole second post where I explained exactly what I meant.

People are taking it personally because the perfect wrestling show he's describing would bore people to death. 95 was exactly what he was describing and that year was unbearable for people such as myself. Cartoony, hokey patriotic heroes against even cartoonier and hokey "bad guys". No thanks. That's where we were headed until the rise of Punk too.

It's all a matter of taste. For my personal preference, the type of show he's describing sounds like a nightmare.
First of all, you posted your second post while I was typing up mine. So apologies on my part.

Funny how you say the show would "bore people to death," where the fact is the "good guys vs. bad guys," wrestling is what got WWE big in the first place. They had a whole decade of that mentality during the early 80's to mid 90's. It's what sold out the Wrestlemania 3 with 93,000 people, it's what put WWE on the map. And WWE wasn't the first wrestling group to start that mentality, it's what made professional wrestling what it is. The only reason why they had to change was because 1) they were losing money, and 2) they were losing the ratings to Nitro.

So, instead of going out of business they abandoned the kid friendly show and made it the Attitude Era. WWE became raunchy, Jerry Springer-like television to gear towards a more adult fanbase to compete with WCW. After the Monday Night Wars were over they went back to family entertainment in a few short years.

What happened during the Attitude Era isn't the "be all, end all" of professional wrestling.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution View Post
I also can't believe how much you let Cena ruin your own lives by doing what he does.

You all may make fun of people with "IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMN IT!" for the young kids or marks or whatever, but you guys are even worse than them. You have this deep-seeded legitimate rage for Cena and his fans to the point where you let it affect your day to day life.

Grow up. Seriously.
Quote:
If you don't understand why John Cena wins all the time, maybe professional wrestling is not for you.
itssoeasy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
NiKKi_SEGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 326
NiKKi_SEGA 251 - 500NiKKi_SEGA 251 - 500NiKKi_SEGA 251 - 500
Default Re: Jim Duggan says Wrestling Doesn’t Need Beer-Swilling and Middle Finger Gestures

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonecoldGoat View Post
Hogan isn't that well known in Asia.I ask them Hulk Hogan.I get Blank Stares.They have no Clue who He is.Like i Explained Lack of cable Television in many Asian Countries in the 80s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sho'nuff View Post
Obviously, no one knows. Still doesn't stop people from giving opinions on shit they don't know about.
NiKKi_SEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
HE'S FAT
 
Rocky Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,642
Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500
Default Re: Jim Duggan says Wrestling Doesn’t Need Beer-Swilling and Middle Finger Gestures

this isn't the first time Jim Duggan threw a jab at Austin, the guy is so butthurt about Austin refusing to job to him 17 years ago
__________________
Rocky Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
MCMXCII
 
A$AP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,209
A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000
Default Re: Jim Duggan says Wrestling Doesn’t Need Beer-Swilling and Middle Finger Gestures

Quote:
Originally Posted by itssoeasy23 View Post
First of all, you posted your second post while I was typing up mine. So apologies on my part.

Funny how you say the show would "bore people to death," where the fact is the "good guys vs. bad guys," wrestling is what got WWE big in the first place. They had a whole decade of that mentality during the early 80's to mid 90's. It's what sold out the Wrestlemania 3 with 93,000 people, it's what put WWE on the map. And WWE wasn't the first wrestling group to start that mentality, it's what made professional wrestling what it is. The only reason why they had to change was because 1) they were losing money, and 2) they were losing the ratings to Nitro.

So, instead of going out of business they abandoned the kid friendly show and made it the Attitude Era. WWE became raunchy, Jerry Springer-like television to gear towards a more adult fanbase to compete with WCW. After the Monday Night Wars were over they went back to family entertainment in a few short years.

What happened during the Attitude Era isn't the "be all, end all" of professional wrestling.
That's exactly it though. Every business adapts whether it be wrestling or not. Attitude was needed at the time and so it went. Wrestling has always gone in cycles, we all know that as fans. The PG demographic was hit because it needed to be. The teens that loved attitude grew up and moved on so they went back to catering to what made them big in the first place, the kids. I'm not disputing that. There's always going to be times when wrestling needs to pick up the violence/rating and when it needs to somber down. It's always going to be back and forth.

I believe Punk's promo was about as far as they're gunna go for the time being. If they ratings continue to decline to ridiculously low numbers they will resort to other game changing tactics.

Long story short, attitude was needed. I'm not arguing that it's needed now, I'm saying it came at the perfect time and took wrestling to another level. It isn't the end all be all of wrestling but it was the peak so yes people are always going to treat it as the standard.
__________________



Last edited by A$AP : 12-04-2012 at 07:26 PM.
A$AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
Working on my abs
 
itssoeasy23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,733
itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500
Default Re: Jim Duggan says Wrestling Doesn’t Need Beer-Swilling and Middle Finger Gestures

Quote:
Originally Posted by A$AP View Post
That's exactly it though. Every business adapts whether it be wrestling or not. Attitude was needed at the time and so it went. Wrestling has always gone in cycles, that's plain to see. The PG demographic was hit because it needed to be. The teens that loved attitude grew up and moved on so they went back to catering to what made them big in the first place, the kids. I'm not disputing that. There's always going to be times when wrestling needs to pick up the violence/rating and when it needs to somber down. It's always going to be back and forth.

I believe Punk's promo was about as far as they're gunna go for the time being. If they ratings continue to decline to ridiculously low numbers they will resort to other game changing tactics.

Long story short, attitude was needed. I'm not arguing that it's needed now, I'm saying it came at the perfect time and took wrestling to another level. It isn't the end all be all of wrestling but it was the peak so yes people are always going to treat it as the standard.
But's the not the standard though, or the "big all end all." It was essentially a fad, a way to get viewers and money back on their side. After the MNW was over, they went back to the family entertainment.

"Good guys vs. bad guy" is the standard in professional wrestling and will always will be. The Attitude Era was an exception, not the rule.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution View Post
I also can't believe how much you let Cena ruin your own lives by doing what he does.

You all may make fun of people with "IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMN IT!" for the young kids or marks or whatever, but you guys are even worse than them. You have this deep-seeded legitimate rage for Cena and his fans to the point where you let it affect your day to day life.

Grow up. Seriously.
Quote:
If you don't understand why John Cena wins all the time, maybe professional wrestling is not for you.
itssoeasy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #28 (permalink)
MCMXCII
 
A$AP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,209
A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000A$AP 15501 - 16000
Default Re: Jim Duggan says Wrestling Doesn’t Need Beer-Swilling and Middle Finger Gestures

Quote:
Originally Posted by itssoeasy23 View Post
But's the not the standard though, or the "big all end all." It was essentially a fad, a way to get viewers and money back on their side. After the MNW was over, they went back to the family entertainment.

"Good guys vs. bad guy" is the standard in professional wrestling and will always will be. The Attitude Era was an exception, not the rule.
Now you're just stating the obvious. Professional wrestling as a source of entertainment isn't going to exist without Good Guy/Bad Guy, that's just common sense. It's about how those two should be portrayed that is the dispute. And no, Attitude Era wasn't an exception to this. It was just as prevalent in the AE as it was in the golden Era. The good/bad guys were just represented differently and you had the introduction of tweeners who catered to both crowds.
__________________



Last edited by A$AP : 12-04-2012 at 07:48 PM.
A$AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
Searching for a new identity
 
Kabraxal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5,981
Kabraxal 1501 - 2000Kabraxal 1501 - 2000Kabraxal 1501 - 2000Kabraxal 1501 - 2000Kabraxal 1501 - 2000Kabraxal 1501 - 2000Kabraxal 1501 - 2000Kabraxal 1501 - 2000Kabraxal 1501 - 2000Kabraxal 1501 - 2000Kabraxal 1501 - 2000
Default Re: Jim Duggan says Wrestling Doesn’t Need Beer-Swilling and Middle Finger Gestures

Except that's what we've had for a few years Duggan... how's that gone for the WWE lately?

Very few of us are arguing to have sex and violence to the extreme... just to stop insulting our intelligence and just admit the biggest demo that watches wrestling is that 20-50 year old male demo. That's pretty much always been the case and they were a huge reason why the boom periods occur. WCW managed to do it with a "PG" product and still feel edgy and cool and something adults could have a great time with. It catered to the adults in the audience though... that's why it worked.
__________________
Thanks for the wonderful memories Ultimate Warrior... happy you got to be recognised as the legend you are before you went. Rest in peace
Kabraxal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #30 (permalink)
Working on my abs
 
itssoeasy23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,733
itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500itssoeasy23 1001 - 1500
Default Re: Jim Duggan says Wrestling Doesn’t Need Beer-Swilling and Middle Finger Gestures

Quote:
Originally Posted by A$AP View Post
Now you're just stating the obvious. Professional wrestling as a source of entertainment isn't going to exist without Good Guy/Bad Guy, that's just common sense. It's about how those two should be portrayed that is the dispute. And no, Attitude Era wasn't an exception to this. It was just as prevalent in the AE as it was in the golden Era. The good/bad guys were just represented differently and you had the introduction of tweeners who catered to both crowds.
I guarantee that if you asked Jim if a company was in trouble and you had to resort to middle fingers and beer to stay alive, he would say do it. That's what Vince had to do in the late 90's, when he clearly likes family entertainment.

He never said attitude was bad, he never said it wont get over, he just likes family entertainment. You just like Attitude.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution View Post
I also can't believe how much you let Cena ruin your own lives by doing what he does.

You all may make fun of people with "IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMN IT!" for the young kids or marks or whatever, but you guys are even worse than them. You have this deep-seeded legitimate rage for Cena and his fans to the point where you let it affect your day to day life.

Grow up. Seriously.
Quote:
If you don't understand why John Cena wins all the time, maybe professional wrestling is not for you.

Last edited by itssoeasy23 : 12-04-2012 at 09:52 PM.
itssoeasy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios