Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums

Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums (http://www.wrestlingforum.com/)
-   General WWE (http://www.wrestlingforum.com/general-wwe/)
-   -   Rooting for heels in the AE (http://www.wrestlingforum.com/general-wwe/638201-rooting-heels-ae.html)

Roydabest 10-02-2012 07:48 AM

Rooting for heels in the AE
 
Did any of you ever root for the heels during the Attitude Era? Guys like Austin and Rock seem to be quite universally liked even among the IWC. Of course this might only be because the AE was so long ago and we remember it more fondly because the current Era is just so much worse. Or probably some of us were kids then and just grew to like the faces.

But is there someone here, who during the AE rooted for guys like Jericho, Angle and HHH when they were the heels and going against SCSA, Rock, Taker. Was the atmosphere of the IWC different? Or were you casual fans at the time? But please tell what you think, have you always liked the bad guys or is all this heel-love a product of the current era.

Felpent 10-02-2012 07:56 AM

Re: Rooting for heels in the AE
 
Apparently IWC loved HHH, he was the Internet darling back then, but they hated top faces Austin and The Rock.

The Rock was the John Cena of the era to the internet community. They hated his repetitive and cheesy catchphrases on the mic and 5 moves of doom lol.

Here's the thread-
http://www.wrestlingforum.com/genera...chives-30.html

roadkill_ 10-02-2012 07:57 AM

Re: Rooting for heels in the AE
 
I do remember a gradual turn against The Rock by 2001 by the IWC. HHH was detested, he had casual heat and bad IWC heat. By the time the IWC developed crowds were less rebellious and the WWF generally had more say in who was legit heel/face, as opposed to 97-98 where rowdy crowds would choose who to root for. By the time the TAE ended I was genuinely sick of both Rock and HHH, they were over exposed in 2000 IMO.

Steiner was smark favourite, his WCW antics near the end were hilarious.

The Streak 10-02-2012 07:58 AM

Re: Rooting for heels in the AE
 
Most of this forum we're 10/11 or younger, so obviously the faces are gonna be fondly remembered.

roadkill_ 10-02-2012 08:01 AM

Re: Rooting for heels in the AE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Felpent (Post 12086484)
Apparently IWC loved HHH, he was the Internet darling back then, but they hated top faces Austin and The Rock.

The Rock was the John Cena of the era to the internet community.

Thats not how I remember it. HHH was detested and every week there was a new burial conspiracy, e.g. Jericho, Mr. Ass. I remember the IWC were convinced that the arrival of the Radicalz would prove once and for all HHH's political burials. And the Rock... he was adored at first but the WWF really did overkill his face run. The IWC turned on him eventually. Casuals caught up (Boo'ed out of Summerslam 2002). Personally I loved heel Rock. 98-99 was his best run, his face run got stale really fast. He was painfully over exposed in 2000 and everyone on the roster, save for HHH was fed to him. Their iron-man match as a legit highlight though, the feud shoulda been ended there.

Felpent 10-02-2012 08:04 AM

Re: Rooting for heels in the AE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadkill_ (Post 12086504)
Thats not how I remember it. HHH was detested and every week there was a new burial conspiracy, e.g. Jericho, Mr. Ass. I remember the IWC were convinced that the arrival of the Radicalz would prove once and for all HHH's political burials. And the Rock... he was adored at first but the WWF really did overkill his face run. The IWC turned on him eventually. Casuals caught up (Boo'ed out of Summerslam 2002). Personally I loved heel Rock. 98-99 was his best run, his face run got stale really fast.

Are we talking 1999-2001 HHH and the Internet community? then you're wrong as the thread I posted shows you as well.

If you're talking 2003-2005 Evolution version of HHH, then you're right. People hated him bad almost to personal levels.

roadkill_ 10-02-2012 08:13 AM

Re: Rooting for heels in the AE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Felpent (Post 12086514)
Are we talking 1999-2001 HHH and the Internet community? then you're wrong as the thread I posted shows you as well.

If you're talking 2003-2005 Evolution version of HHH, then you're right. People hated him bad almost to personal levels.

I was on WZ Forums about 12 years ago or more, the biggest online wrestling forum (At that time). I don't ever remember HHH being anything but hated. As far back as Benoit signing up to the WWF I remember HHH being shat on.

Evil Neville 10-02-2012 08:20 AM

Re: Rooting for heels in the AE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Felpent (Post 12086514)
Are we talking 1999-2001 HHH and the Internet community? then you're wrong as the thread I posted shows you as well.

Dude are you really trying to use anectodal evidence for your argument? I didn't even have the internet til the year 2000 and started using it for wrestling only at around 2002, at the very end of the AE so i may not be the best source for this. But i remember this. The what you call "IWC" stuff at that time on the web regarding HHH was always a love/hate relationship, with hate usually being 2007 Cena level hate. Real bad "i want to watch him get raped" stuff.

Felpent 10-02-2012 07:03 PM

Re: Rooting for heels in the AE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadkill_ (Post 12086529)
I was on WZ Forums about 12 years ago or more, the biggest online wrestling forum (At that time). I don't ever remember HHH being anything but hated. As far back as Benoit signing up to the WWF I remember HHH being shat on.

I dont think so. The usenet thread I posted shows you otherwise. Most of IWC were workrate marks at the time and HHH was at his prime having some of the greatest matches in those years.

WZ forum? as in Wrestlezone forum? Are you sure? the forum only dates back to 2006.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Neville (Post 12086547)
Dude are you really trying to use anectodal evidence for your argument? I didn't even have the internet til the year 2000 and started using it for wrestling only at around 2002, at the very end of the AE so i may not be the best source for this. But i remember this. The what you call "IWC" stuff at that time on the web regarding HHH was always a love/hate relationship, with hate usually being 2007 Cena level hate. Real bad "i want to watch him get raped" stuff.

2002 was long after HHH's peak, so that would not be surprising. Like I said by 2003 he was the most hated wrestler, people hated him almost to personal levels.

Pol93 10-02-2012 07:13 PM

Re: Rooting for heels in the AE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Felpent (Post 12086484)
Apparently IWC loved HHH, he was the Internet darling back then, but they hated top faces Austin and The Rock.

The Rock was the John Cena of the era to the internet community. They hated his repetitive and cheesy catchphrases on the mic and 5 moves of doom lol.

Here's the thread-
http://www.wrestlingforum.com/genera...chives-30.html

Thank you so much for this! Haha typical IWC.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2